"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I think I've got a good understanding of my GX80

But ... just wondering ...

I touch the screen to position the focus point and it appears loud & clear with yellow pointy edges. But is there a way of centering it, assigned to an Fn button?

I think I've got a good understanding of my GX80

But ... just wondering ...

I touch the screen to position the focus point and it appears loud & clear with yellow pointy edges. But is there a way of centering it, assigned to an Fn button?

after tapping the screen tap the 'Disp' button to centre the AF box. That's how it is on the G80 at least

after tapping the screen tap the 'Disp' button to centre the AF box. That's how it is on the G80 at least
Thanks guys .... yep, first tap of the Disp button centralises it. (y)

What I've done now is assigned Fn1 to "Focus Area Set" .... see how I get on with that.

I was shooting street type stuff, from the hip, screen up, strap around right wrist, sunny day, difficulty seeing focus point. Now Fn1 will give it those yellow pointy edges. :)

Quick G9's...
Not a problem I've found with the G9. In fact it's just about the most user proof camera I've owned since I sold my Nikon Fs.

I seen in many reviews on it that people were double firing when taking shots, because they were hesitant - I would have thought you'd get used to it after a day or two at least

I seen in many reviews on it that people were double firing when taking shots, because they were hesitant - I would have thought you'd get used to it after a day or two at least

You do, then you like it.

I've always liked the G80 shutter, it's very discreet, and has a nice soft touch and feel to it, I imagine the G9's is just that bit more responsive?

Don't give it a thought now ime used to it

I like his blog but I wish he'd post more often. That piece he did on Brooklyn Beckham... Brutal! What a killer!

I like this guy too. He's a bit of a MFT fan and seems to have just discovered custom modes for his G9...

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2019/05/the-amazing-g9.html

I have these on all my cameras. I usually use aperture priority until the light drops and the shutter speed falls too low then I switch to manual, always with auto ISO. I then have custom modes for aperture, manual and shutter modes with appropriate aperture/shutter speed/both as I want and face/eye detect with wide area focusing. Set up like this I can use aperture or manual modes as usual and quickly switch to a custom mode to recognise faces to take people shots quickly without spending time fiddling too much with dials and buttons.

Do you lot use custom modes and if so what are they?

I like his blog but I wish he'd post more often. That piece he did on Brooklyn Beckham... Brutal! What a killer!

I like this guy too. He's a bit of a MFT fan and seems to have just discovered custom modes for his G9...

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2019/05/the-amazing-g9.html

I have these on all my cameras. I usually use aperture priority until the light drops and the shutter speed falls too low then I switch to manual, always with auto ISO. I then have custom modes for aperture, manual and shutter modes with appropriate aperture/shutter speed/both as I want and face/eye detect with wide area focusing. Set up like this I can use aperture or manual modes as usual and quickly switch to a custom mode to recognise faces to take people shots quickly without spending time fiddling too much with dials and buttons.

it was Thorpe's videos on M43 that persuaded me to give it a go, love his videos, love the dry wit :) He's been slower to put videos out over the past year, looks like he's having some health issues. He's been very shakey in the last few, and his voice sounds weaker, hope he's ok :/

It was you I think put me on to that onlinephotographer, again a good blog

Me, I'm very lazy about custom set ups. On the G80 I have C1 and C2 set for video, 1080p on one, 4K on the other - I don't bother doing a custom photo set up as I just change settings on the fly, I suppose I could set one up for low light shooting - now that you mention it might just get that sorted!

I've recently bought a Fuji XH1, but I'll be honest though and say it wasn't an easy decision. I really fancied a G9 too, but when I looked more into it the G80 actually stands up pretty well against it. The end IQ differences are minimal, and I rarely ever use video. What I would love in the G9 is the superior IBIS, the high res mode might be fun to try too and it looks ergonomically a nicer camera to handle with dedicated ISO/WB buttons, the top LCD and larger grip. The H1 is very similar, in fact they're the most similar cameras I can think of when comparing M43/APSC. Both have lovely quiet, feather touch shutters too.

Last edited:
So, I decided to buy a G Vario 12-60 f/3.5-5.6 as a better walkabout lens than my 14-42mm. I was umming and ahhing about a 12-35 2.8, and then decided that the 12-60 will do all I need and give me a noticeable increase in reach over my existing kit lens.

Not had much chance to try it out yet, but I like this one I got on a rainy walk on Friday morning.

Down by the riverside
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

So, I decided to buy a G Vario 12-60 f/3.5-5.6 as a better walkabout lens than my 14-42mm. I was umming and ahhing about a 12-35 2.8, and then decided that the 12-60 will do all I need and give me a noticeable increase in reach over my existing kit lens.

Not had much chance to try it out yet, but I like this one I got on a rainy walk on Friday morning.

Down by the riverside
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

I'm a sucker for rainy day images, so I love this :) The 12-60 variable looks a very good lens for the money

My default settings on my GX80 include ...
Aperture Priority / auto ISO ... AF: 1 Area / Drive Mode: Single / Focus Mode: AF Single

I've just customised ...
Aperture Priority / auto ISO ... AF: Custom Multi / Drive Mode: Bust M / Focus Mode: AF Flexible

I've never done much in the way of wildlife, but I'm now ready for a squirrel on the garden fence or a swooping gull.

Does anyone have more custom settings ideas? :)

Last edited:
Anyone use iISO instead of Auto for moving subjects? Is it worth considering?

I think the idea is ..... iISO keep the ISO high which gives you a better speed in Aperture Priority.

Last edited:
Could a 32mp sensor be coming?...

https://www.43rumors.com/ft1-sony-allegedly-has-made-a-new-32mp-mft-sensor/

Time will tell.

The same page say that Oly are working om global shutter sensors. I didn't know Oly made sensors. Maybe Sony will be the first to do one for the sort of cameras we'd buy. I'm sure I read that they've done one for some other use, industrial use or something... I'm sure it'll come from someone sooner or later.

GH6 and lens... I like my little photography hobby and I do like the gear but even so I just don't know how anyone could take that picture and have the camera as the main subject and in focus with the background so out of focus.

http://thenewcamera.com/panasonic-gh6-and-10-25-mm-f1-7-lens-and-more/

Maybe I'm just a sexist pig.

That 10-25 1.7 lens would be nice ... if they weren't planning to price it at $2500!! - I'm out on that one right away :D There was rumors about a GH6 in three variants - possibly an s version like the GH5s and possibly a higher res model.

Morning chaps, i've got a bit of a dilemma. I like the GX8 i bought but find the hand grip just too small for my hands. I'm not interested in buying a case to make it slightly better so i'm thinking of buying the G9 for the much improved hand grip and general overall feel. I'm wondering where would be the best place to get a deal. I'm currently looking at Hdew but is there a better deal elsewhere?

At the moment a none grey is only £50 more expensive with the cash back

Morning chaps, i've got a bit of a dilemma. I like the GX8 i bought but find the hand grip just too small for my hands. I'm not interested in buying a case to make it slightly better so i'm thinking of buying the G9 for the much improved hand grip and general overall feel. I'm wondering where would be the best place to get a deal. I'm currently looking at Hdew but is there a better deal elsewhere?

The GX80 I recently bought has got me doubting if I really need to get a T30... I already have a T2 and T3. I'm glad I finally got a m43 camera on the cheap :)

The GX80 I recently bought has got me doubting if I really need to get a T30... I already have a T2 and T3. I'm glad I finally got a m43 camera on the cheap :)

I'm swinging between a G80 and XH1 atm, there's definite pros and cons to both and I can't decide which I prefer over all tbh. The G80 [same sensor as your GX80] has the superior IBIS, it has the clearer screen in strong lighting, a much, much better touch screen implementation and I find it much better for macro and the odd bit of wildlife I do. It's a much easier camera to control in general the layout is just great! whereas the Fuji is better in low light, you get cleaner files at higher ISO and I am a fan of that 'Fuji look'. The H1 is also built like a tank, and I have to admit I like a chunky camera, not dsle chunky but somewhere in between and it's got that covered. It's not the M43 killer I expected though, so I have to really think on where I go from here. The plan was to trade the G80 in for Fuji lenses if I was happy, but the H1 has some niggles that frustrate me, the touch screen is a bit cack tbh but it does have that nice joystick, first camera I've owned with one in fact and I am liking that. The other option I had strongly though on was a G9, that thing is a G80 on steroids :D and I know I would love it ... But ... the Fuji lure was always going to be there., it had to be done. I will give it a few months and see what I want for certain, I may well grow to love it. I think the G80 actually spoiled me a bit, as it is so easy to get along with. BUT, when I look through my old images, my instant favorites are ones I shot with the XT1 and Xpro1, maybe it was a more creative period for me, but those are the images I always come back to - it's just been a while since I used Fuji gear.

I see you're enjoying that Sigma 60 2.8 btw ;)

I had that lens for a bit, IQ is insane for the money. I used it as a pseudo macro too with a Raynox slapped on front, worked out pretty good I was getting a little better than 1:2 magnification

Last edited:
I'm swinging between a G80 and XH1 atm, there's definite pros and cons to both and I can't decide which I prefer over all tbh. The G80 [same sensor as your GX80] has the superior IBIS, it has the clearer screen in strong lighting, a much, much better touch screen implementation and I find it much better for macro and the odd bit of wildlife I do. It's a much easier camera to control in general the layout is just great! whereas the Fuji is better in low light, you get cleaner files at higher ISO and I am a fan of that 'Fuji look'. The H1 is also built like a tank, and I have to admit I like a chunky camera, not dsle chunky but somewhere in between and it's got that covered. It's not the M43 killer I expected though, so I have to really think on where I go from here. The plan was to trade the G80 in for Fuji lenses if I was happy, but the H1 has some niggles that frustrate me, the touch screen is a bit cack tbh but it does have that nice joystick, first camera I've owned with one in fact and I am liking that. The other option I had strongly though on was a G9, that thing is a G80 on steroids :D and I know I would love it ... But ... the Fuji lure was always going to be there., it had to be done. I will give it a few months and see what I want for certain, I may well grow to love it. I think the G80 actually spoiled me a bit, as it is so easy to get along with. BUT, when I look through my old images, my instant favorites are ones I shot with the XT1 and Xpro1, maybe it was a more creative period for me, but those are the images I always come back to - it's just been a while since I used Fuji gear.

I see you're enjoying that Sigma 60 2.8 btw ;)

I had that lens for a bit, IQ is insane for the money. I used it as a pseudo macro too with a Raynox slapped on front, worked out pretty good I was getting a little better than 1:2 magnification

Ye I’m not leaving Fuji at anytime but I’m happy with this thing! I think I’ve got a raynox lying around somewhere [emoji41] I need to try that!

Ye I’m not leaving Fuji at anytime but I’m happy with this thing! I think I’ve got a raynox lying around somewhere [emoji41] I need to try that!

It's always good to have options :) I think I might have had to use a step up ring to attach the Raynox, 46 - 52mm, or indeed you can use a step down to screw the element on without the clip - 46 - 43mm

It's always good to have options :) I think I might have had to use a step up ring to attach the Raynox, 46 - 52mm, or indeed you can use a step down to screw the element on without the clip - 46 - 43mm

I have a step down 46-43 mm but I also bought a step 46-58mm so I could put on a lens cap I already had. With some tubes and and the Zuiko 60mm f2.8 its about 3X magnification

Macro rigg E M5II by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I'm swinging between a G80 and XH1 atm,

Keith, I know I've said this before but why not go the same route as me? Keep MFT and buy a used A7 mk1, buy one decent modern lens (a cheap 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 or even just the kit lens) and other than that use cheap old lenses on it. £100 would get you an adapter, a 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 or macro and 135mm f2.8 and you'd probably have change.

You'll have MFT for most of your stuff and a FF sensor for when you need better quality, pictures of loved ones etc, anything that you want a really good (technically) picture of or the fun of cheap old lenses at their intended FoV.

Back