"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Not much help but when I had both the em5 and the G80 at the same time the Oly drove me a bit nuts with it's menu. Now, Oly users will say it's not complicated, and they're right it's not but I found it unnecessarily irritating, much more scrolling through options to get to simple settings. Even if you only rarely use the actual menu, down to little things like formatting your cards or changing video settings, it's much more intuitive to have both cameras with the same set up.

I finally sold my G80 btw, got more selling it local than I would have on here, and certainly more than MPB were willing to offer. I won't write off a return to M43 though, and it would probably be something like a GX9 if and when I do.

I agree, found the E-M1 rather frustrating at times and much prefer the Fuji and Panasonic menu system.
Good news about your G80, hope you are enjoying your return to Fuji, can see why they have become so popular
Coincidentally sold my only remaining Fuji camera this week, have to accept my shaky hands require stabilisation for everything.
Also want a small lightweight set up for travelling so looks like its m4/3 for me now.
Really like the GX9, not perfect, but hard to beat for a quality to price ratio, very pleased with the results and not compromising at all.

Still can't decide though :)

I agree, found the E-M1 rather frustrating at times and much prefer the Fuji and Panasonic menu system.
Good news about your G80, hope you are enjoying your return to Fuji, can see why they have become so popular
Coincidentally sold my only remaining Fuji camera this week, have to accept my shaky hands require stabilisation for everything.
Also want a small lightweight set up for travelling so looks like its m4/3 for me now.
Really like the GX9, not perfect, but hard to beat for a quality to price ratio, very pleased with the results and not compromising at all.

Still can't decide though :)

Cheers, think it was 5th attempt to sell it lol! I had some good times with the G80, a very capable camera in it's own right/ The guys who came to buy it were wedding videographers, they said they would never use it for stills! We had a little discussion about that and I showed them some of my Flickr images - think I changed their minds a bit ;)

When I got it it was mainly for IBIS and I only ever intended to use it for photos - I barely ever touch video functions so that was wasted on me. If Fuji had IBIS it in their cheaper bodies at the time I might not have changed but I'm glad I did. The past 1.5yr with M43 has been fun, and I got some nice images from it. But ever since the XH1 showed up - the chunkier body that I prefer and IBIS, I've been itching to try it, was always waiting for it to come down in price though. So far so good, there's pros and cons to both so a little breaking back in was required.

Last edited:
Can't decide whether to get another GX9 to make things easy travelling, same batteries, menus and settings etc.
Or give the GX90 a go when it arrives, also wonder if there will be a GX10 and there's the G9 that I nearly bought before.
Decisions, Decisions?

GX9 is the same price everywhere with £50 cashback, two shops have agreed to throw in the extended eyecup as a sweetener to buy from them.
Don't ask, don't get and must say at the moment the GX9 is favourite.

Thought about another Olympus, but prefer the Panasonic menus plus one lens does benefit from dual is
Money is sat waiting and just can't make my mind up, too much choice sometimes

I think it's a very good camera :D

The GX80 lacks exposure compensation in manual exposure mode, the tilting evf (which I like) and the AF/MF/AE switch and button and there's the 20 v 16mp chip counts. Any future GX90 may get added features but who knows?

I think the GX9 is the better camera but the GX80 has appeal as a cheap basic camera. If the prices are anywhere near comparable I'd choose the GX9.

Hope that helps :D

I think it's a very good camera :D

The GX80 lacks exposure compensation in manual exposure mode, the tilting evf (which I like) and the AF/MF/AE switch and button and there's the 20 v 16mp chip counts. Any future GX90 may get added features but who knows?

I think the GX9 is the better camera but the GX80 has appeal as a cheap basic camera. If the prices are anywhere near comparable I'd choose the GX9.

Hope that helps :D

Thanks, had a GX80 and that led me to get the GX9, hope there is a new mid level rangefinder style camera.
Decided to get another GX9, can get one for £449 after cash back with a free extended eyecup too.

G90 looks good, but it's mini DSLR style, bigger and heavier too plus different batery and charger again.
Like having a spare camera especially when I visit places that I probably won't go to again.
Looked in a couple of German camera shops last Christmas, gear is definitely cheaper here
GX9 body only was about 80 quid dearer on average there, so can do without having to buy a spare there

Very nice. The 45-150 is a little cracker, and it's perfect for macro with a Raynox or the 500D. So versatile, and small and light enough to always have in the bag

Cheers, yes, a small light weight lens, which seems to perform quite well.
Dropped in on my local lakes after work, less than 5 butterflies seen? But there was other stuff to try the G7/45-150 out on!

Ist up, an adult Common Lizard. Image is not cropped.
P1040226-copy-to-800.jpg

Next up, a freshly emerged Damselfly(there were 100's of these about). Image is not cropped.
P1040137-copy-to-600.jpg

Lastly, a Fox!! Image is not cropped.
I'd already packed the camera away in my rucksack, an was walking fast, back to the car.
Then i just looked to my left (approx 15 feet distance) an this Fox was standing there!
I slowly lowered the rucksack to the ground, got my camera out, unscrewed the 500D close up filter off,
then shot off about 5 images of this beauty. I could have easily missed this opportunity, to capture Fox images.
Moral of the story - dont pack your camera away, until you reach your car/leave the area!

P1040235-copy-to-800.jpg

Last edited:
Deal of the Day
Up to 39% off Amazon prices for Panasonic cameras today. This might help someone looking to purchase one!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/apb/page/?...28ec80&ref=dotd_h_t&ref_=pe_2118791_375862141

Also 15% discount at Camera Jungle until Monday too
https://www.camerajungle.co.uk

The GX9 three lens kit deal looks good. It doesn’t seem very clear which 25mm lens is included though. The lens pics show the 1.4 but the group pic shows the 1.7. Can’t see it clarified in the description.

Deal of the Day
Up to 39% off Amazon prices for Panasonic cameras today. This might help someone looking to purchase one!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/apb/page/?...28ec80&ref=dotd_h_t&ref_=pe_2118791_375862141

Its ok , but for instance the GX9 three lens kit is available in 1 to 2 months time as is the not reduced body only GX9

Also 15% discount at Camera Jungle until Monday too
https://www.camerajungle.co.uk

Can't see anything on the link, not keen on them after getting a lens with a stonking great hair inside it

Sorry if that sounds ungrateful, didn't mean it to

Last edited:
The GX9 three lens kit deal looks good. It doesn’t seem very clear which 25mm lens is included though. The lens pics show the 1.4 but the group pic shows the 1.7. Can’t see it clarified in the description.

Can't imagine its the 1.4, there again take a screen shot and if its not good reason to send it back

Can't see anything on the link, not keen on them after getting a lens with a stonking great hair inside it

I bought my XH1 from them, slow service and the flash unit was missing - they are sending that on to me, I did only complain about it other day [hadn't actually realised beforehand you get a flash with an XH1!]. Camera was mint as described though, not a mark on it. I've just chanced on a lens from them this morning after seeing the 15% off [it is auto deducted when you add to your basket] it was already cheap so not a huge gamble. At worst you can always send the gear back, they did offer to take my XH1 back when I complained about the missing flash or get a refund, but I didn't want the hassle - just asked them to send on the flash which I'm not in any hurry for

Last edited:
Its ok , but for instance the GX9 three lens kit is available in 1 to 2 months time as is the not reduced body only GX9

Sorry if that sounds ungrateful, didn't mean it to

That’s fine, just thought I’d let people know. We bought an Olympus 40-150mm cheap lens the other day. It turned up looking mint as description but expensive stuff I’m still sitting on the fence! Have a good Bank holiday.

Last edited:
The double cashback was over Easter and the original closing date for buying was early June.
That has now been changed until early September and it's single cashback of 50 quid.
Price everywhere is £499 before cashback and waiting to see if double bubble returns for this B/H.
Already got one and want a spare for my travels hence the reason I know all about the prices

Yep agree with you don't get where they get there double cash back ends 4th june 2019 from...

It looks like double cashback has returned, hooray!!
Guessing it ends 04/06, Panasonic website hasn't been updated, but most of the big retailers have.
Only one problem lots of places are out of stock, so its shopping around time for me now

Last edited:
Yes its back, confirmed with Panasonic before clicking the buy button on another GX9.
No its not the most aesthetically pleasing bit of kit, but does what I want at a sensible price.
After cashback £399 is a very good price for such a decent quality camera.
Extended eyecup ordered too, an excellent addition and especially useful in bright sunlight

Yes its back, confirmed with Panasonic before clicking the buy button on another GX9.
No its not the most aesthetically pleasing bit of kit, but does what I want at a sensible price.
After cashback £399 is a very good price for such a decent quality camera.
Extended eyecup ordered too, an excellent addition and especially useful in bright sunlight

:clap: ... nice one.

BTW ... wear a flat cap in bright sunshine ... to protect yourself. :giggle: .... also means these EVFs work a treat.

It's a shame i don't have a penny.
Just put all my kit for sale locally if someone could buy a bit of it i could maybe fund this.

I think i would like to go for the GX9 with the 12-32 kit lens as a way of starting out.

I've always disliked the idea of the 12-32mm as AFAIK it doesn't have a focus ring which would make it very difficult to use in some situations. I'd much rather have the very compact and capable 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 mega ios. There seem to a hundred of these with very similar names but it's the very compact one I'm talking about.

I've always disliked the idea of the 12-32mm as AFAIK it doesn't have a focus ring which would make it very difficult to use in some situations. I'd much rather have the very compact and capable 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 mega ios. There seem to a hundred of these with very similar names but it's the very compact one I'm talking about.

I agree, didn't like the 12-32 at all and no its doesn't have a focus ring, wasn't keen on the retracting idea either.

The guy who bought my G80 had his GH5 along with to test the Viltrox adapter out. He had the 12-32 lens on the GH5 and it looked weird :D it was the first time I'd actually seen this lens close up, wouldn't be for me that's for sure. I couldn't get on with the PL 15mm 1.7 prime because I found it too small and fiddly, let alone a zoom that tiny! There's small and then there's uncomfortably small

I agree, didn't like the 12-32 at all and no its doesn't have a focus ring, wasn't keen on the retracting idea either.
I've got 2 of the little devils and I find them really useful. They came on my GM5 bodies but I've stuck one on my GX7 making a very nice combination.

She’s getting better and better Jeff..... progress is always good.

Quick question I have a nikon D750 and a 150-600mm i'm happy to shoot at iso 6400 with it which help a lot when the light is a bit dull to keep a high shutter speed.

If i had a GX9 with a 100-400 what do you think is the highest iso you are really happy with? so in term of shutter speed and iso what would you go for? Do you think it is a good setup or maybe it's too limiting?

Question is I can keep the D750 and 150-600 for wildlife and change the rest of my gear to four third. Or switch it all.

The guy who bought my G80 had his GH5 along with to test the Viltrox adapter out. He had the 12-32 lens on the GH5 and it looked weird :D it was the first time I'd actually seen this lens close up, wouldn't be for me that's for sure. I couldn't get on with the PL 15mm 1.7 prime because I found it too small and fiddly, let alone a zoom that tiny! There's small and then there's uncomfortably small

I'd have to try a 12-32mm but my worry would be that there'd be occasions when I'd want to MF and would find it too much of a faff on. Shooting through glass, fences, snow and other obstructions etc which could cause AF to lock onto the wring thing. With a more ordinary lens it's easy to turn the ring to focus on the more distant object and AF usually then gets the idea and focuses at that distance and if it still doesn't you can stick with AF.

My worry is that with the 12-32mm all this wouldn't be possible.

I'd have to try a 12-32mm but my worry would be that there'd be occasions when I'd want to MF and would find it too much of a faff on. Shooting through glass, fences, snow and other obstructions etc which could cause AF to lock onto the wring thing. With a more ordinary lens it's easy to turn the ring to focus on the more distant object and AF usually then gets the idea and focuses at that distance and if it still doesn't you can stick with AF.

My worry is that with the 12-32mm all this wouldn't be possible.

I would not like to be manual focusing that lens either, you have to do it on cam afaik?

I use that lens (the first version) a lot on my GX7 and the AF speed has always been fine. It might not be as fast to focus as some other lenses (according to reviews I've seen), but I can honestly say I've never noticed or had any problem with it from my own personal use.

It's a brilliant little lens in my experience.
I know what I would do .... I've done it before! And I didn't think it was possible till faced with the option.

Jessops sell the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 Lumix G II Lens in Silver @£249

Try it in the shop, ask questions, buy it, GX800 kit too(?) Take it back if you change your mind!

I did this with a Panasonic 45-200, swapped it for a 45-150 and was refunded the difference. I wouldn't say they were over the moon, but they did it. I didn't have to point out what their T&Cs say.

3.4 Returns and refunds

(a) Change of mind returns: if for whatever reason you change your mind and would like to return all or any Products that are the subject of your Order after delivery to you, you have the right to return your Product(s) to Us within 14 days ...........

https://www.jessops.com/tnc#anchor_3_4
Thanks for the replies!

I ended up going back to the Olympus 17mm 1.8, bought one off here from tijuana taxi.

Is the rear screen size of the GX80 identical to that of the GX800?

I have a few screen protectors left over from the GX80 and was wondering if it will work on the smaller GX800?

I would not like to be manual focusing that lens either, you have to do it on cam afaik?
AFAIK a sliding scale comes up on the screen and you use that... Maybe someone who has one can confirm how it works but I'm pretty sure I read that not all cameras have the sliding scale facility but again maybe someone who has one can say how it works.

I often take pictures of messy foliage, flowers, fences and the like so I do like the ability to quickly override the camera if the AF hits the wrong thing.

Quick question I have a nikon D750 and a 150-600mm i'm happy to shoot at iso 6400 with it which help a lot when the light is a bit dull to keep a high shutter speed.

If i had a GX9 with a 100-400 what do you think is the highest iso you are really happy with? so in term of shutter speed and iso what would you go for? Do you think it is a good setup or maybe it's too limiting?

Question is I can keep the D750 and 150-600 for wildlife and change the rest of my gear to four third. Or switch it all.

Maybe someone could post a couple of example pictures or even offer you a couple of raws to process...

AFAIK a sliding scale comes up on the screen and you use that... Maybe someone who has one can confirm how it works but I'm pretty sure I read that not all cameras have the sliding scale facility but again maybe someone who has one can say how it works.

I often take pictures of messy foliage, flowers, fences and the like so I do like the ability to quickly override the camera if the AF hits the wrong thing.
I've got a GX80 + 12-32 kit lens

Just tried MF for the first time .... fiddly.

move/drag your focus point within the frame using touchscreen, touch "Set" on screen, your focus area expands, is magnified, and a vertical slider appears.

Last edited:
my measurements:

AF works at 11 cm from subject at 12mm, 20 cm at 32mm.

I've got a Panasonic 14-45, it's not one of the little lenses and has a focus ring
Surprisingly good given its relatively cheap price, has OIS too which again is very effective.

The only thing that has made me go back to a DSLR is reach in your case though your actually going to get more apparent reach I.e 100-400x2 =800 as opposed to a full frame 600mm . You would gain with the Nikon with a crop sensor , the Panasonic sensors are extremely good and I never found noise a problem . I still have my g80 and 100-400 though the wife uses it these days mainly . The Nikon is a tad quicker to focus though .. in your case the only difference you will really notice is in the weight

Back