"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Love that fox shot!!!

Cheers for that...our paths were going to cross (we were both heading for each other) so it was several seconds, whilst we looked at each other. I got approx 5 shots off, then the Fox was gone.

Im still experimenting with this setup. Anything under 1/200's, an since i always handheld (no time for tripod/monopod!) its hard to get the focus at that shutter speed.
Also, ive gone into camera settings, an set sharpness to +1, because i was having to adjust sharpness more than i would normally(in editing my images).
I would be interested to know what other panny G7 owners use, in their in-camera settings???

Anyway, several more images.
Cheers Paul.

Blue type/form female Common Blue. Image is not cropped.
P1040601-copy-to-800.jpg

Mating pair of Common Blues. Image is not cropped.
P1040798-copy-to-800.jpg

Adonis Blue(male) just giving a hint of his shimmering blue colouration. Image is not cropped.
P1040904-copy-to-600.jpg

Maybe someone could post a couple of example pictures or even offer you a couple of raws to process...

That would be great if anyone as a couple of GX9 with the 100-400 raws to send me i'll happy have a look.
Or maybe just some GX9 photo at iso 1600 -3200 -6400.

Overall is there advantage with a GX9 to use panasonic lenses over olympus one?
It seems that if using panasonic it can combine in body + lens optical stabilazation?
I'm not sure i get it, is that only for the G9 or also the GX9, and which lens does it?

Sorry a lot of ??? for a three line post!

GX9 has dual is and G9 has dual is2
Some lenses such as the 12-35 MkI only has dual is, but the newer MkII version has dual is2
So it all depends what camera and lenses you have, the new G90 also has dual is2.

I believe dual is gives up to 5 stops and dual is2 up to 6.5
Both cameras are very good value right now with the double cashback offer

Saying that I use an Olympus 12-40 with a GX9 and the camera stabilisation work well as does the af

Last edited:
Just put a wanted thread up for a 12-35mm. so please reply if you have one to move on

Thanks

I've sold most off my kit on ebay and waiting to move to the panasonic really soon.
I know it's a stupid question but what lens are you recommending?
What lens you think is a must have (I know it's stupid question)

Looking at my metadata on lightroom i think i need a zoom to start with.
First I was thinking at the leica 12-60mm 2.8-4 because i come from a nikon 24-120 f4
It seems that the 12-35mm f2.8 ii is very good too, smaller, lighter and faster at 35mm.
What do you think is the 12-60 too big?
Is the 35mm at f2.8 vs f3.5 will not really makes any difference? So maybe gaining some reach is good?

Presumably you are still thinking about the GX9 so will base the below on that.
I have been thinking about getting a 12-35 to try, improvements to the Mk II seem to be mainly for video.
Both versions work with Dual IS, optically they appear virtually identical
Tried a 12-60mm at a trade show earlier this year, its not that big although I think the constant f/2.8 is preferable.

Currently using an Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 and to be honest don't know why i'm considering looking at anything else.
Its a little bit bigger and heavier than the 12-35, but no complaints at all with the quality.
The body stabilisation works well with it, about 4 stops and AF is faster than it was on my E-M1

My lens collection has now been whittled down to Olympus 12-40 f/2.8, Panasonic 25 f/1.4 and Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8
The 35-100 is excellent too, internal focusing so no extending barrel and again Dual IS.
The small fast prime is very handy for low light situations and is one of the best lenses I have ever used.
Sold all my primes apart from this one, think that shows how I rate it.

Another one to consider is the Olympus 12-100 f/4, everyone speaks very highly of it.
My daughter tested one extensively last month and she is buying it for a trip to Antarctica
Reckoned it was the equal of her primes and the lens stabilisation was great too, bit bigger obviously.

Hope that helps, everyone has their favourite lenses, these are just my choices.
Most of my photography is travel based these days , so find zoom lenses to be the most practical.
Fortunately they make some great ones for m4/3, also some nice primes should you chose that option.
If you are anywhere near Cambridge you are welcome to come and try my camera and lenses.

Last edited:
Thanks Rich,
Great to read your comment.
I guess you meant panasonic 25mm f1.4 not 35? Looking at flickr I like a lot some of the shots with this lens. I can see how it compliment a zoom lens.

I kind of want to use prime more often but then when I look at lightroom a lot of the time I went out I would get the 24-120 f4 by convenience. Doesn't mean it's when I had the 24-120 I took my best pictures though... F4 seems a bit high for a m4/3 camera a shame the 12-60 f2.8-4 is not a 12-60 f2.8 that would make my choice much easier!

Thanks Rich,
Great to read your comment.
I guess you meant panasonic 25mm f1.4 not 35? Looking at flickr I like a lot some of the shots with this lens. I can see how it compliment a zoom lens.

I kind of want to use prime more often but then when I look at lightroom a lot of the time I went out I would get the 24-120 f4 by convenience. Doesn't mean it's when I had the 24-120 I took my best pictures though... F4 seems a bit high for a m4/3 camera a shame the 12-60 f2.8-4 is not a 12-60 f2.8 that would make my choice much easier!

You are right, Thomas, that should have been 25 f/1.4, corrected it now.
The primes are very good, only sold mine because the zoom was more convenient for my travel photography.

For a general purpose lens the 12-60 would be ideal, once you factor in the stabilisation f/4 isn't an issue.
I find he 12-40 gives me enough range, that would be in FF terms 24-80, admittedly a lot of my photos are at the wide end.

Why not give the 12-60 a go along with a couple of fast primes, PanaLeica 15 and 25 perhaps?
Then there are the Olympus range to consider, 12, 17, 25 and 45 are very popular and good too.

Probably too much choice, think if I wanted to simplify things the 12-100 would probably get my vote.
If its as good as everyone says wouldn't need anything else, f/4 doesn't seem to bother anyone with that lens

I vote the for Leica 25mm - amazing lens! That combined with the 12-24 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 and I have every basis covered at razor sharp level!

I vote the for Leica 25mm - amazing lens! That combined with the 12-24 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 and I have every basis covered at razor sharp level!

What is the 12-24 f/2.8 or is it a typo?

So many choices indeed. Just find out there is a really cheap panasonic 25mm 1.7 which seems to be a very good alternative to the leica 25mm 1.4?
Can be bought for just above 100£ when the other is nearly 300£ (i'm talking second hand!)

So many choices indeed. Just find out there is a really cheap panasonic 25mm 1.7 which seems to be a very good alternative to the leica 25mm 1.4?
Can be bought for just above 100£ when the other is nearly 300£ (i'm talking second hand!)

There are a lot of cheaper zoom lenses too, all comes down to what you are prepared to spend.
Also an Olympus 25mm f/1.8 that is generally considered better than the Panasonic offering.

The Pany 25 1.7 is a cracker, so long as you know how to avoid the issues it does have. It needs to be shot using M mode, with constant preview on. This avoids what is known as focus shift, where the lens opens the aperture to focus and closes down as you shoot, this can cause a shift in focus with some lenses. The 25 1.7 happens to be one, but it can be avoided. I think those who found it below par were using it in P,A,S modes and didn't realise the issue. I tested this, and it's shocking how much sharper the lens is when you use the work around. in M mode with constant preview the aperture blades physically close in and out as you change the setting, before focusing, so there is no shift. It is so much sharper, really is as good as much higher priced lenses. It has decent close focusing distance and is quiet too. If it was weather sealed it would honestly be worth twice the price

The Pany 25 1.7 is a cracker, so long as you know how to avoid the issues it does have. It needs to be shot using M mode, with constant preview on. This avoids what is known as focus shift, where the lens opens the aperture to focus and closes down as you shoot, this can cause a shift in focus with some lenses. The 25 1.7 happens to be one, but it can be avoided. I think those who found it below par were using it in P,A,S modes and didn't realise the issue. I tested this, and it's shocking how much sharper the lens is when you use the work around. in M mode with constant preview the aperture blades physically close in and out as you change the setting, before focusing, so there is no shift. It is so much sharper, really is as good as much higher priced lenses. It has decent close focusing distance and is quiet too. If it was weather sealed it would honestly be worth twice the price

I've never tried this lens but as MTF is a x2 crop and that goes for DoF too I'd be surprised if focus shift was that much of an issue most of the time and if it is that's quite a big booby from Panasonic. This lens wasn't out when I bought my Oly 25mm f1.8 and reading your post makes me think that the issue is best avoided by buying a different lens, the Oly 25mm f1.8 springing immediately to mind.

I've never tried this lens but as MTF is a x2 crop and that goes for DoF too I'd be surprised if focus shift was that much of an issue most of the time and if it is that's quite a big booby from Panasonic. This lens wasn't out when I bought my Oly 25mm f1.8 and reading your post makes me think that the issue is best avoided by buying a different lens, the Oly 25mm f1.8 springing immediately to mind.

It's pretty noticeable on this particular lens

From 2:35 onward in this review it is shown. See the difference when he repeats the test after accounting for FS

I remember seeing this after buying it and was confused to begin with as mine was really sharp at all apertures, but when he explained how to work around it I realised I was already shooting this way, as I normally do with any lens.

The Oly 1.8 is over twice the price. If like me you usually shoot in in M mode and have constant preview set to on, it won't even matter, the lens is pretty darn nice for the money.

After his re-testing he makes the claim that it is sharper than the Olympus 25 f/1.2, let alone the 1.8

Last edited:

I really like the Panasonic f1.7 25mm. I use it on an Olympus OM-D E-M10ii which may account for the reason I've never seen focus breathing?
I don't find the 25mm (50mm equ) focal length super useful and prefer the Olympus f1.8 17mm as my general lens when the light isn't great.
When the light is good the Olympus 14-42mm EZ Pancake is my go to walkabout lens.

I sort my images into albums for the equipment, this is what I've shot that I'm most pleased with using the Panasonic f1.7 25mm
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ9LToW

FWIW I did compare it to the Panaleica and Olympus equivalents on review websites etc. but I couldn't justify the double or treble cost, given how much (or little) I use it that was a good call for me personally.

Last edited:

very interresting post. thank you!

or maybe only use it wide open!

Well caught Mike...

I have now place an order for a brand new gx9 from castle camera as they offer a free shoulder bag from manfrotto as a goodie. The camera was 499£ but there is 100£ cash back until the 4th june. I've never claimed cash back before as I always bought second hand gear but this time second hand the same price as new after cash back so a no brainer really. Hopefully the cashback process will go smoothly.

Also put an order for a used panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 from wex at 207£. A bit of a funny choice maybe for a first lens but the review are excelent. At 207£ including delivery it is a good one to try the system out. I do not know if i want to buy a 12-60 2.8-4 or a 15mm 1.7 go with the first lens.

If I like the system I hope to get a 100-400 in the near futur.

I have now place an order for a brand new gx9 from castle camera as they offer a free shoulder bag from manfrotto as a goodie. The camera was 499£ but there is 100£ cash back until the 4th june. I've never claimed cash back before as I always bought second hand gear but this time second hand the same price as new after cash back so a no brainer really. Hopefully the cashback process will go smoothly.

Also put an order for a used panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 from wex at 207£. A bit of a funny choice maybe for a first lens but the review are excelent. At 207£ including delivery it is a good one to try the system out. I do not know if i want to buy a 12-60 2.8-4 or a 15mm 1.7 go with the first lens.

I'm sure it will.

As far as I remember you can't claim it straight away and you need to wait... but the date you can claim it after will no doubt be specified and maybe there'll be the facility to get a reminder email or at least I've received them in the past.

I hope you'll be happy with your GX9. I find the exposure compensation dial waaaay too stiff so I just use the dial at the back. 15 and 42.5mm lenses would IMO make a good pairing.

15 and 42.5mm lenses would IMO make a good pairing.

Yes that why i didn't get a 25mm f1.7, i thought it will be to close too the 15mm in case I get this later on. Plus the issue raised above of focus breathing which make it a potentially not straightforward lens.

How spooky is that? On Sunday I ordered a Gx9 from castle cameras and ordered a used 42.5 from mpb. And thinking of getting the 15mm 1.7 too

Cashback on my last GX9 was painless, waited the required 35 days before claiming then got it after about another two weeks.
Bought another one last week (want a spare when i'm travelling) so hope yours and my cashback claim goes smoothly this time.
One thing I find very useful is the optional extended eyecup, makes seeing the evf so much easier especially in sunlight.
Another handy thing with the GX9 is that you can charge it from a powerbank or usb charger, can't use it from one though.

Last edited:
Cashback on my last GX9 was painless, waited the required 35 days before claiming then got it after about another two weeks.
Bought another one last week (want a spare when i'm travelling) so hope yours and my cashback claim goes smoothly this time.
One thing I find very useful is the optional extended eyecup, makes seeing the evf so much easier especially in sunlight.
Another handy thing with the GX9 is that you can charge it from a powerbank or usb charger, can't use it from one though.

Thanks for the tip. I did get an eyecup too!

A couple of robins seem to be nesting nearby so I sat in the garden with my GX80 and 45-150mm to see if I could get a picture. These are all 80 to 100% crops at ISO 500-1250.

CqcoDby.jpg

jW7DeTD.jpg

vM2k9qq.jpg

P6Jyseu.jpg

arSOyho.jpg

I don't know how people get anywhere near filling the frame with a bird but I suppose a much longer lens would help :D

Lots of nice birds pictured here: gulp.
Disclaimer, I am not a birder, longest lens I have is Pany 35-100.

However, I posted a picture in may of an adult bluetit that was raising young in a box in our garden:- Here
i-pp7TxvT-S.jpg

We were lucky enough to be sitting out yesterday when many ? of the fledgelings left their box. We sat and watched their delightful first foraies as they attempted to
master the 'flying skill' they seemed to have no real fear of us and were landing all around us, even on the ground. Our back door was open and one flew into the back porch, happily it found it's way out again. Here are some pictures I took, they all look like the same fledgeling but I doubt that.

Last pic the head is out of focus but I liked it because the bird is singing.

i-pBr5xwN-XL.jpg

i-6ZbLqsj-X2.jpg

i-tRZRDLN-XL.jpg

i-rLTgRHC-XL.jpg

i-M6PHJ3L-X2.jpg

i-MSDhGW8-XL.jpg

A couple of robins seem to be nesting nearby so I sat in the garden with my GX80 and 45-150mm to see if I could get a picture. These are all 80 to 100% crops at ISO 500-1250.

CqcoDby.jpg

jW7DeTD.jpg

vM2k9qq.jpg

P6Jyseu.jpg

arSOyho.jpg

I don't know how people get anywhere near filling the frame with a bird but I suppose a much longer lens would help :D

Have had robin too close to the lens so I couldn't focus anymore! Albeit it was a 150-600 so focus must be 1.5m away or thereabout.
These looks pretty clean for some big crop.

Lots of nice birds pictured here: gulp.
Disclaimer, I am not a birder, longest lens I have is Pany 35-100.

However, I posted a picture in may of an adult bluetit that was raising young in a box in our garden:- Here
i-pp7TxvT-S.jpg

We were lucky enough to be sitting out yesterday when many ? of the fledgelings left their box. We sat and watched their delightful first foraies as they attempted to
master the 'flying skill' they seemed to have no real fear of us and were landing all around us, even on the ground. Our back door was open and one flew into the back porch, happily it found it's way out again. Here are some pictures I took, they all look like the same fledgeling but I doubt that.

Last pic the head is out of focus but I liked it because the bird is singing.

i-pBr5xwN-XL.jpg

i-6ZbLqsj-X2.jpg

i-tRZRDLN-XL.jpg

i-rLTgRHC-XL.jpg

i-M6PHJ3L-X2.jpg

i-MSDhGW8-XL.jpg

Is that shot with the 35-100?
You must have been very very close!

Have had robin too close to the lens so I couldn't focus anymore! Albeit it was a 150-600 so focus must be 1.5m away or thereabout.
These looks pretty clean for some big crop.

I keep looking at longer lenses but they're expensive and I'm tight :D and I know I'd only use one at home for moon shots and shots of birds in the garden as I'd almost certainly think one a bit big to take out. I'm still tempted though.

I'm quite happy with the ISO performance for whole pictures but heavy crops to 100% can be a test but the files seem to be able to take some noise reduction without going mushy. I think that it's only really some artificial lighting that can be a big problem for whole images at ISO's of around ISO 1600 and above.

Back