"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

GX9 body only has arrived today - looks good in the flesh and not a million miles in terms of size from my old GX1 and GF1 before that. (y)
Unfortunately the used P20 I ordered (starting again with no equipment) from MPB is not due to arrive until tomorrow (n)

So I am currently charging a doorstop :ROFLMAO:

GX9 body only has arrived today - looks good in the flesh and not a million miles in terms of size from my old GX1 and GF1 before that. (y)
Unfortunately the used P20 I ordered (starting again with no equipment) from MPB is not due to arrive until tomorrow (n)

So I am currently charging a doorstop :ROFLMAO:

Give you a chance to read the manual, been messing about with my newer one this morning setting up the wi-fi
If you get into it I have just put my 12-35 up for sale, very nice walkabout zoom.

Last edited:
I picked up the G80 and 100-400 today. Played with a few lenses, liked the 25/1.4 plenty and the 8-18. Anyway, think a 25/1.4 and a 42.5/1.7 are likely to complete a trio of lenses for me. In time I can see me hunting the small ads for an 8-18 in the coming year, but I'll pretend it won't happen so my wallet can come out of hiding! The 42.5 looks like a lovely little lens; I briefly owned a Nikon 85/1.4, and while it was great for portraits the minimum focus distance was too long. The 42.5 focuses much closer and is much more interesting as a result.

Edit: Let me just say I have never been blown away by a camera and lens combo like this. AF is blazing fast [how good must it be in the G9 or E-M1ii??] and the image quality is excellent. I've owned Nikkor 300/4's, Canon 100-400 [gen1], Nikkor 200-500's, but this is - for the way I shoot wildlife [AF-s half shutter centre point/Spot meter/1-1000th at f/wide open minus a part-stop, ISO priority on the dial] just incredible. 42.5mm for some moderate telephoto portraiture and I can see this setup lasting me a while

Last edited:
Edit: Let me just say I have never been blown away by a camera and lens combo like this. AF is blazing fast [how good must it be in the G9 or E-M1ii??] and the image quality is excellent. I've owned Nikkor 300/4's, Canon 100-400 [gen1], Nikkor 200-500's, but this is - for the way I shoot wildlife [AF-s half shutter centre point/Spot meter/1-1000th at f/wide open minus a part-stop, ISO priority on the dial] just incredible. 42.5mm for some moderate telephoto portraiture and I can see this setup lasting me a while

I think that people who haven't tried the later MFT cameras don't and can't appreciate how fast the focus is. Some of the comments about MFT focusing on this forum do make me wonder if the posters know what they're talking about or just assuming that these small sensor cheap cameras can't possibly be as responsive and lightening fast as some say they are.

I think that people who haven't tried the later MFT cameras don't and can't appreciate how fast the focus is.
I've been using MFT cameras for a few years and the G9 simply exceeds my expectations on a daily basis. It's possible to miss focus with it but very rare.

In Thailand a few years ago we went to a place where there's a big Buddha carved into a hill and it's the hottest and most humid place I've ever been. I took three or four pictures with my GX7 and all were slightly out of focus but the camera was fine before and after that place. We went back the following year and I took the same pictures with my Sony A7 and they were fine. None of my MFT cameras have ever done this before or since so all I can assume is that something fogged up in the extreme heat and humidity on the day. Other than that one incident, and remembering that any camera can fail to lock on to something now and again for reasons of a lack of contrast or detail or if there's something that looks better to the camera AF in front or behind the subject, I've had no issues with MFT focusing at all and the newest cameras are so fast that usually there's no need to half press, wait for the camera to lock focus and then fully press the shutter button as by the time my finger has moved the camera has locked on and I can just mash the button :D

I'm often confused when I see 'reviewers' slating M43 AF, but then realise they're mostly talking about for video. The G80 for me, was as nippy as any camera I've owned for locking on to subjects, even in dimly lit scenarios - in fact when I switched to the X-H1 I was really disappointed to begin with. I found it worse than the G80 even though it has phase detect. Only after I configured it in depth to my liking did it begin to pull ahead. Out of the box, the G80 is better in this area IMHO. I don't even own the camera now so I have no reason to defend it anymore, but it was what I found. It also started up quicker than the XH1 and you cannot under-estimate how brilliant the touch screen is until you've tried TS on other systems. Where the H1 beats it would be in build quality, the evf is superior, and it's better in low light, it also adapts AF lenses a lot better which was another reason I switched back. But I do love the G80, would have kept it had I not needed the funds for lenses

I'm often confused when I see 'reviewers' slating M43 AF, but then realise they're mostly talking about for video. The G80 for me, was as nippy as any camera I've owned for locking on to subjects, even in dimly lit scenarios - in fact when I switched to the X-H1 I was really disappointed to begin with. I found it worse than the G80 even though it has phase detect. Only after I configured it in depth to my liking did it begin to pull ahead. Out of the box, the G80 is better in this area IMHO. I don't even own the camera now so I have no reason to defend it anymore, but it was what I found. It also started up quicker than the XH1 and you cannot under-estimate how brilliant the touch screen is until you've tried TS on other systems. Where the H1 beats it would be in build quality, the evf is superior, and it's better in low light, it also adapts AF lenses a lot better which was another reason I switched back. But I do love the G80, would have kept it had I not needed the funds for lenses

Agree. I have the GX9, and I have to say, the quality difference is definitely noticeable over the g80; far far better clarity and noise control at high ISO. Meaning I would never go back to a G80 but I would if the price were right, consider the G9 or anything with this 20mp sensor. shot a fried wedding on the GX9 with the X lens and was genuinely impressed. Great little caerma, the GX9 is, but I juts prefer traditional ergonomics; it's a bit slippy to hold.

Well I kept the Oly 12-40 in the end, marginally better at 12mm which is where most of my photos are taken
Pana 12-35 definitely handled better being smaller and lighter, stabilisation was a bit more effective and had the edge at the longer focal distances.

Really nothing in it performance wise so sold the lens that was in the best condition and I could recoup more of my outlay from.
Can say if anyone wants a standard zoom both of these will do you proud.

Still looking for a 12mm f1.4 prime for some night sky action and other low light stuff

The great advantage of the tiny GM series cameras is that you can have them with you when a shot suddenly presents itself. I took this from the top deck of a bus travelling in the opposite direction...

Panasonic GM5_black 8GB _1040719.jpg

Bought a leica 15mm f1.7 second hand from ebay which looks spotless.
Not used it very much yet but i'm still enjoying the GX9.

Here's a few pictures from last night, shot in jpeg, no editing apart from slight crop and white balance. I come from nikon D750 and the shooting experience is very different. These where taken holding the camera with arm strech over the table, using live view and face detection. Surely that one thing the GX9 do much much better that the D750.

No price winning photo but I like the autofocus on this camera, with the D750 and sigma ART lens I would get my lot of miss-focused shot and I was never really able to autofocus in liveview. I find the autofocus fast both in single or continuous, and it's really quick to change mode or move the focus area around using the touch screen. So far so good.

190719-spaguetti-1000334 by Thomas, sur Flickr

190719-spaguetti-1000340 by Thomas, sur Flickr

190719-spaguetti-1000341 by Thomas, sur Flickr

So that's me with the GX9 the leica 15mm f1.7 and the panasonic 45mm f1.7.
I really want a leica 100-400 but that will have to wait for now.

Personaly I have no idea it's my first time using m4/3 gear.
But i really was attracted by the built in stabilisation which work with the body built it stabilisation.

Is it 45mm or 42.5mm f1.7 ? I can’t see a 45 Panasonic lens with a 1.7 aperture on camerapeicebuster ?

As mentioned, not been doing anything photography wise for a couple of years - except maybe a little bit of adjustment to iPhone photos with Snapseed on the iPad.

What’s everyone’s preferred workflow? How are you managing your photos? What tools/ software you using for post-editing? Anyone hosting them on the web or just sharing on here/facespace?

I see Flickr still has that hideous issue when trying to highlight and select the BBcode on iOS to enable it to be copied and pasted on here :confused:

As mentioned, not been doing anything photography wise for a couple of years - except maybe a little bit of adjustment to iPhone photos with Snapseed on the iPad.

What’s everyone’s preferred workflow? How are you managing your photos? What tools/ software you using for post-editing? Anyone hosting them on the web or just sharing on here/facespace?

I see Flickr still has that hideous issue when trying to highlight and select the BBcode on iOS to enable it to be copied and pasted on here :confused:

I've been using LR so long that I find all other options cumbersome, it's costly but I don't even have to think about the processing stage. I use Flickr for sharing, but on a laptop it's probably a lot easier to share to here, I don't get on with phones for that purpose at all.

Oh and tijuana is correct, it is indeed 42.5, the exact equivalent of 85mm on FF

Thanks for the info - I’ll probably be renewing my Adobe Photographers cloud thing. That made publishing to Flickr and to my own wall on facespace very easy.

I also previously had a play around with Adobe Portfolio (included with the bundle) - I see they’ve recently added some new themes, so will probably go back to that too.

Now that Flickr is limited for the free account, I might look into the Pro version too.

All this assuming I keep my new camera longer than 3 weeks :rolleyes:

I use Nik filters sometimes, I got them when they were a free download. If they're still free they may be worth a look.

Other than that I use CS5 which is getting old now but I can't bring myself to pay a subscription for the new Adobe stuff.

I have Luminar, and I'm quite pleased with it myself [although it really does need better DAM/photo management, but at least I can see my stuff]. However, if I'm honest with myself, the most fun I have is editing on the tablet with Snapseed. And, given the Nik U-point technology/selective masking, I'm probably doing my highest level photo development with it too. Just an incredible program and the sort of thing my Dad would have dreamed of in his film days... Like Alan, I absolutely will not pay a subscription service to Adobe - a little on principle, and a little because I'm a hobbyist and I can't justify it myself.

If there was a free or really inexpensive decent simple, clean UI, basic RAW photo management tool which generated fast previews and supported sorting by EXIF, I'd love to know...

Last edited:
I have used lightroom since version 2 and so i feel like i can't move away from it.
But I'm a bit tempted to try on1 2019.5. I just want to wait a month where I know i can spend a bit of time trying it out to make the most out of the one month free trial.

Me neither but heard good things about it recently.
Apparently it is not far off lightroom and offer a good catalogue too.

Still in love with "new toy" and enjoying the "it's so small and inconspicious I can take it anywhere" factor. In 2 weeks I have taken more pictures that in the last 6 months which was the point of the switch (this and putting some money back in the bank!),

190721-slide-1000384 by Thomas, sur Flickr

190721-slide-1000406 by Thomas, sur Flickr

190721-slide-1000524 by Thomas, sur Flickr

Still in love with "new toy" and enjoying the "it's so small and inconspicious I can take it anywhere" factor. In 2 weeks I have taken more pictures that in the last 6 months which was the point of the switch (this and putting some money back in the bank!),

190721-slide-1000384 by Thomas, sur Flickr

190721-slide-1000406 by Thomas, sur Flickr

190721-slide-1000524 by Thomas, sur Flickr

Those are crackers :) And honestly, it's moments like these that make the gear worthwhile, I always feel that gear pays for itself if it can produce images I will cherish, if only a couple of really good keepers every now and then - you're off to a good start :)

Glad both of the new owners are liking the GX9, so good I bought a second one, need a spare when travelling (saves changing lenses too)

Glad both of the new owners are liking the GX9, so good I bought a second one, need a spare when travelling (saves changing lenses too)

Yes, thank you. It’s good to be taking snaps again. I was on the fence between the GX9 and another X100F - glad to have decided on revisiting m43.

Yes, thank you. It’s good to be taking snaps again. I was on the fence between the GX9 and another X100F - glad to have decided on revisiting m43.
That's good, must say this little camera does make it fun to take photos
I came from Fuji and haven't regretted it at all, just the job for my travel photography.

Got to be Southend with that pier and pub, been there a few times over the years.

Last edited:
Bit of a stroll at the seaside... with the GX9/P20. First impressions - everything I loved about the 20mm lens is still there. The GX9 body also has a lot of similarities o the GX1 and GF1, although it now sports a viewfinder (y)

For whatever mad reason they held off making a compact RF style body with a VF for waaaay too long. I thought that the GX7 was a very good camera but it fell sort in a few things, that diabolical shutter shock issue, no exposure comp in manual mode (I can't remember if it had auto ISO or not) and also the irritating fact that the screen fouled tone of the posrt. The GX9 fixes these issues and really the only thing I'd change is the EVF and if this camera had a SOTA one it'd be just about perfect. IMO.

First few shots with my G9 and Olympus 60mm Macro. Flash is Olympus STF-8 that I'm testing. Not sure I'll keep it as it was expensive but it works well with the G9. Need a better diffuser but that's work in progress. Need some extension tubes as 1:1 isn't enough :)

yGtIpUg.jpg

ElBd0Os.jpg

EksgPdS.jpg

Going back to the RAW software, I downloaded the on1 trial and it seems pretty nice. However, on my ageing MacBook Air it's not blistering quick [I assume it's a GPU program rather than CPU]. I'm trying RAWtherapee and Darktable again - potential but nowhere near as polished as the on1 stuff. Damn, I do miss Lightroom, I don't photoshop anything and for the simple adjustments I made LR was perfect from import through to export. But subscription models are really not for me, and the adobe price rises bother me. Don't want to invest in a system to find they're taking advantage of my captive audience.

So, just out of interest, I downloaded the Silkypix program, and of all the ones I've tried so far actually it seems pretty good. I have my own file system, catalogues not important for me, what I need is basic RAW review and jpeg export.

Going back to the RAW software, I downloaded the on1 trial and it seems pretty nice. However, on my ageing MacBook Air it's not blistering quick [I assume it's a GPU program rather than CPU]. I'm trying RAWtherapee and Darktable again - potential but nowhere near as polished as the on1 stuff. Damn, I do miss Lightroom, I don't photoshop anything and for the simple adjustments I made LR was perfect from import through to export. But subscription models are really not for me, and the adobe price rises bother me. Don't want to invest in a system to find they're taking advantage of my captive audience.

So, just out of interest, I downloaded the Silkypix program, and of all the ones I've tried so far actually it seems pretty good. I have my own file system, catalogues not important for me, what I need is basic RAW review and jpeg export.

I gave it a quick try yesterday and the general stuff i can really get used too easily.
There was a few little things i like instantly. Like the possibility to limit the color in the highlights.

Where i struggle is that in lightroom it's really easy to do some local adjustement. I like to use local adjustement to lighten up the faces and sharpen then a bit more that the rest. I also like it for removing noise gently in the background. I usually do a rough selection with feather edges. I need to try more ON1 but the local adjustement don't have a lot of option and it seem to slow down a lot when "painting the local adjustement area" so it seems you need to jump onto layer to do that. And layers is something i find cumbersome to use.

Back