"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Panasonic G9 now gets major improvements with it's latest firmware (available from Nov 19th)

・[Animal Detect] has been added to AF mode. Utilizing Advanced AI Technology, animals, including cats, dogs and birds, can be detected in addition to humans. The focus frame is automatically set on the target subject by analyzing the size and position of the target subject in the viewing image. The camera continues tracking these subjects even when they turn their back to the camera.

・It is possible to switch the subject to focus on by pressing the joystick in [Face/Eye/Body/Animal Detect] mode.

・[AF-ON: Near Shift] and [AF-ON: Far Shift] functions have been added. [AF-ON: Near Shift] preferably focuses on a subject nearby while [AF-ON: Far Shift] preferably focuses on a subject far away.

・A Focus Peaking function is available in MF and any AF modes.

・Continuous AF capability is available on the live view screen in Creative Video mode or in other video recording modes when the video recording area is displayed.

・4K 30p/25p 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording is supported.

・4K 60p/50p 4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output is supported.

・Luminance level for 10-bit video is supported.

・VFR (Variable Frame Rate) shooting is supported (FHD 2-180 fps/4K 2-60 fps).

・HDR video recording is supported.

・V-Log L recording and Waveform Monitor (WFM) are available with the Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU1 (sold separately).

・[Highlight Weighted] has been added to [Metering mode].

・[MODE2] has been added to High Resolution mode, which reduces the subject’s motion blur.

Panasonic G9 now gets major improvements with it's latest firmware (available from Nov 19th)

・[Animal Detect] has been added to AF mode. Utilizing Advanced AI Technology, animals, including cats, dogs and birds, can be detected in addition to humans. The focus frame is automatically set on the target subject by analyzing the size and position of the target subject in the viewing image. The camera continues tracking these subjects even when they turn their back to the camera.

・It is possible to switch the subject to focus on by pressing the joystick in [Face/Eye/Body/Animal Detect] mode.

・[AF-ON: Near Shift] and [AF-ON: Far Shift] functions have been added. [AF-ON: Near Shift] preferably focuses on a subject nearby while [AF-ON: Far Shift] preferably focuses on a subject far away.

・A Focus Peaking function is available in MF and any AF modes.

・Continuous AF capability is available on the live view screen in Creative Video mode or in other video recording modes when the video recording area is displayed.

・4K 30p/25p 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording is supported.

・4K 60p/50p 4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output is supported.

・Luminance level for 10-bit video is supported.

・VFR (Variable Frame Rate) shooting is supported (FHD 2-180 fps/4K 2-60 fps).

・HDR video recording is supported.

・V-Log L recording and Waveform Monitor (WFM) are available with the Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU1 (sold separately).

・[Highlight Weighted] has been added to [Metering mode].

・[MODE2] has been added to High Resolution mode, which reduces the subject’s motion blur.

If animal detect works for BIF against confusing backgrounds they will have a winner

Hi everyone, i've got a question, how does one retrieve the shutter count on a GX8? Cheers Mark.

Hi everyone, i've got a question, how does one retrieve the shutter count on a GX8? Cheers Mark.

Shutter count on the G5, G6, G7 (=G70), GX1, GX7, and GX8
With your camera's battery well charged, perform the following steps in sequence:

Insert a memory card into the card slot;
Turn the camera ON and take a picture;
Turn the camera OFF;
Press and hold simultaneously the DISPLAY, AF/AE LOCK, and RIGHT CURSOR buttons, while turning the camera ON;
Now, press and hold the AF/AE LOCK button together with the MENU/SET and LEFT CURSOR buttons;
Repeat the last step, that is press and hold the AF/AE LOCK button while pressing the MENU/SET and LEFT CURSOR buttons. A two-page operation history display will appear;
Press DISPLAY to toggle between the two information menus;
Write down the number next to PWRCNT. This is how many times the camera has been powered up;
Write down the number next to SHTCNT. This is the shutter activation count;
Write down the number next to STBCNT. This is the number of times the flash has fired;
Switch the camera off to revert back to normal operating mode.

All taken from this website.

With your camera's battery well charged, perform the following steps in sequence:

Turn the camera OFF;
Press and hold simultaneously the DISPLAY, AF/AE LOCK, and RIGHT CURSOR buttons, while turning the camera ON;
Now, press and hold the AF/AE LOCK button together with the MENU/SET and LEFT CURSOR buttons;
Repeat the last step, that is press and hold the AF/AE LOCK button while pressing the MENU/SET and LEFT CURSOR buttons. A two-page operation history display will appear;
Write down the number next to PWRCNT. This is how many times the camera has been powered up;
Write down the number next to STBCNT. This is the number of times the flash has fired;

I did this recently on my GX9, an extra hand would be useful, lots to press at once

Turn the camera OFF;

Thanks for taking the time to help - much appreciated! I'll have a go at that later. Cheers Mark.

Turn the camera OFF;

Managed this last night, worked a treat first go - thanks very much!

Reactions: CSB
Not had much time to be able to use my G9 i bought back in June due to illness but managed a few frames at the classic car show. I'm not clever enough to be able to doctor frames, have no photoshops or anything else. These are just jpgs straight out fo the camera.

fullsizeoutput-1ed3.jpg

P1000178.jpg

P1000217.jpg

P1000173.jpg

P1000166.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1eeb.jpg
fullsizeoutput-1ee7.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ee8.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know why this site only allows 8 frames but when you load all 8 you only get one frame when posted?

Hi Mark, i'm not sure, looks like you are hosting/embedding your photo on talkphotography? There might be some tight limitation of the size you can post this way. That's where I would look for a issue in your upload.

Myself to make it simpler I upload either to flickr or to google photo and then I copy the link from there. So I don't have to be within the limitation of talkphotography.

Well did the big firmware update to V2 on the G9 this morning, and took it out at lunchtime with my Olympus 300mm F4 Pro. Saw my first even Wren. Was a long way away so even with the 300mm on, these are still tiny crops (approx 2-3mp), but pretty pleased with them all the same.

Not had a chance to check out the animal AF yet as this little guy was just too small in the frame for it to be detected.

Just read the G9 is more picky about which battery it will use after the firmware update, any one got any knowledge of this.

Just read the G9 is more picky about which battery it will use after the firmware update, any one got any knowledge of this.

Mike,
I've just tried XPro in both the grip and the camera - no problem, no messages.

Treated myself to a new lens on a Black Friday deal, its a Panasonic Leica 12mm f/1.4
Been thinking about one of these for ages, just been waiting until the price was right.

Only other fast lens I have is the 25mm f/1.4 and wanted something wider, hope its as good as others say

Been thinking about that one too - it's a lens that's always intrigued me, but as much as I want to try it, I don't really think I'll have that much use for a 24mm effective lens @ F1.4.

Let's us know how you get on with it please ?

Been thinking about that one too - it's a lens that's always intrigued me, but as much as I want to try it, I don't really think I'll have that much use for a 24mm effective lens @ F1.4.

Let's us know how you get on with it please ?

Will do Andrew, use my zooms at 12mm a lot, have got that focal length well covered on a 12-35 and 8-18
Wanted something faster for low light cityscapes, dimly lit interiors and bit of night sky action
Had a 15mm and 17mm, always found I wanted something a bit wider though

Last edited:
Ahh, yes, I hadn't considered those sort of scenarios (was thinking more landscapes). Indoor dimly lit buildings (such as churches and museums) could be a good use for it ?

Ahh, yes, I hadn't considered those sort of scenarios (was thinking more landscapes). Indoor dimly lit buildings (such as churches and museums) could be a good use for it ?

My old favourite the German Christmas market will be a good test, struggled a bit last year at f/2.8
Also the 8-18 is only f/2.8 at 8mm, soon changes and every little bit of light counts in the gloom

Treated myself to a new lens on a Black Friday deal, its a Panasonic Leica 12mm f/1.4
Been thinking about one of these for ages, just been waiting until the price was right.

Only other fast lens I have is the 25mm f/1.4 and wanted something wider, hope its as good as others say

Coincidentally, I've bought the Olympus 12mm f2 today.
For my limited use I reckoned it didn't make sense to spend the extra on the Leica - particularly as the reviews on the Oly are generally very good.

For my limited use I reckoned it didn't make sense to spend the extra on the Leica - particularly as the reviews on the Oly are generally very good.

I had one of those, but wanted something faster and weather resistant too.
Also find my already less than steady grip isn't helped with those small primes, need something more substantial to support

I've fancied one of those for a long time but haven't bought one yet so I hope you wont be tempting me by posting any pictures or gushing about it. I know you won't do that :D

I am seriously tempted to go back to M43, and the G9 is calling .... I'm so done with sensor or system comparisons .. the G9 update looks legit, and I miss the cheap options for wildlife - also I found M43 better by far for macro than any other system.

It was Mrs WW birthday today and she asked me to take some pictures so I reached for my GX9 and Olympus 17mm f1.8. I used a custom setting with aperture priority, mostly f1.8 but f4 for some, eye detect and auto ISO which varied from 200 to 800. I'm not going to post any people picture but I did just want to post to say that I'm continually impressed with this camera and the GX80 too. Quite a few of my pictures needed a degree of rotation which is my fault as I think I have one leg longer than the other these days but apart from that it was just a matter of applying my preferred settings and adding a bit of fill light and / or recovery to a few and that was it and every single picture was a keeper :D

MTF sometimes takes a bit of a bashing from the FF and even APS-C crowd and I have FF myself but I do think that this is a good system and it continues to impress me :D

It was Mrs WW birthday today and she asked me to take some pictures so I reached for my GX9 and Olympus 17mm f1.8. I used a custom setting with aperture priority, mostly f1.8 but f4 for some, eye detect and auto ISO which varied from 200 to 800. I'm not going to post any people picture but I did just want to post to say that I'm continually impressed with this camera and the GX80 too. Quite a few of my pictures needed a degree of rotation which is my fault as I think I have one leg longer than the other these days but apart from that it was just a matter of applying my preferred settings and adding a bit of fill light and / or recovery to a few and that was it and every single picture was a keeper :D

MTF sometimes takes a bit of a bashing from the FF and even APS-C crowd and I have FF myself but I do think that this is a good system and it continues to impress me :D
I had to turn on the evf level display on my camera because all my images were squint :)

The sad thing is that I have the level in the display but I seem to just ignore it at least when taking people pictures. I'm ok with landscape as I generally have more time whereas I tend to be a bit rushed with people shots. I don't suppose it really matters though as the vast majority of my pictures can take a small rotation and crop (it's usually only 2% or so) as I don't tend to go for very tight compositions where a couple of degrees rotation and crop would be enough to slice someones head.

I am a fan of eye/face detect as it allows me to concentrate on composition and capturing the moment rather than faffing about moving the focus point. I'll have to try and train myself to either hold the camera level or at least look at the level in the evf.

I've fancied one of those for a long time but haven't bought one yet so I hope you wont be tempting me by posting any pictures or gushing about it. I know you won't do that :D

I wouldn't dream of it :ROFLMAO:
Watch this space!

I am seriously tempted to go back to M43, and the G9 is calling .... I'm so done with sensor or system comparisons .. the G9 update looks legit, and I miss the cheap options for wildlife - also I found M43 better by far for macro than any other system.

I've carried out the recent update - I hope to get out today (at last there's some light!) to try out the new animal detect etc. autofocus features.
This is probably the one area where it's been deficient, and if they get that right it will certainly be a fine camera.

imagesll.jpg

I have gone the other way, I will still extoll the benefits of m4/3 but only moved to it because of the need to save weight, my Olympus has gone, the Panasonic gear is packed and ready to go, deal already done.
The Nikon Z50 has allowed me to get back to where I wanted to be, it will not be as good in some areas but they are the areas I can no longer do anyway.
If the latest update for the G9 works it will cover its only weaknes.

Last edited:
Back