"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I’ve decided to push the button on my ultimate Panasonic set up.
It might be worth your while exploring the Panasonic 100-400mm (if you haven't already) before settling on the primes. I think it's the most versatile lens I've owned in 50 years.

It might be worth your while exploring the Panasonic 100-400mm (if you haven't already) before settling on the primes. I think it's the most versatile lens I've owned in 50 years.

One thing I like about it is it focuses quite close for a long lens so flower shots and bug shots and the like are possible and with bug shots the extra working distance is IMO key as you don't have to be up close and therefore there's less chance they'll spot you and fly away.

Yes, I have one that I used with an Oly EM10 mkiii so that’s why I’ve chosen the primes. Probably overkill but GAS is a wonderful thing!

I hope it all goes well for you Chris. I hope you'll let us know how you get on and post some pictures.
Thank you Alan, I hope so too and I’ll post some pics when I have some experience with the kit.
I spent quite some time deliberating which way to jump but in the end I feel comfortable with this line up and just want to get going now.

Probably overkill but GAS is a wonderful thing!
Indeed. I have three kits based around different needs (or, if you prefer, desires). My G9 / 100-400 is paired with a couple of GM5s with the 12-32 and the 35-100. It doesn't half give a lot of bang without too much baggage! :D

Cameras Panasonic G9 and GM5 A65 DSC03472.JPG

I have a GX9 with an Olympus 17mm f1.8 and a GX80 with 100-400mm. These combinations have been together so long I've almost forgot I own other lenses.

Is that a GM5 Andrew? I really should have got one of those.

Is that a GM5 Andrew? I really should have got one of those.
Yes, I got the red one new at a very large discount because its packaging had gone missing and the black one was second hand but pretty much mint. With those two lenses, they add very little weight to the outfit.

Just checked evil bay and there's a black one with a 12-32mm for £300.

Just while I'm here I think this was the last sunny day out with my GX9 and 17mm.

I liked the first and Mrs WW wanted her picture taken with the flowers in the second. I'm often impressed with the picture quality from these cameras and the significance here is that both these pictures needed processing with fill light to lift the shadows and/or recovery of the highlights because of the strong light and shadows but I think they held up well.

uHUchY0.jpg

bQzp5I3.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Just looking at evil bay and others. I've never fancied the 12-32mm, can they be sold on and if so how much do they go for?

Hmmmm. Just looking at evil bay and others. I've never fancied the 12-32mm, can they be sold on and if so how much do they go for?
Don't knock it. They're very nice lenses and I have two. One's in the G9 outfit as shown and the other has a permanent home on my GX7. Possibly the most useful lens I've ever owned.

12-32? .... if that's the kit lens, I found it too small on my GX80, I much prefer the pana 12-60 ... more reach, of course, but also better balanced.

Indeed. I have three kits based around different needs (or, if you prefer, desires). My G9 / 100-400 is paired with a couple of GM5s with the 12-32 and the 35-100. It doesn't half give a lot of bang without too much baggage! :D

View attachment 279208
Which 35-100 lens do you have? I was considering it at one stage but could add it later. I quite fancy the f2.8 mkii.

Which 35-100 lens do you have?
f4-f5.6. It's tiny and weighs next to nothing, which are attributes I value much more than a wide aperture.

Don't knock it. They're very nice lenses and I have two. One's in the G9 outfit as shown and the other has a permanent home on my GX7. Possibly the most useful lens I've ever owned.

The big problem with that lens for me is the lack of a focus ring. That rules it out for me as I often want to focus in situations where AF can be problematic or get it wrong when left to itself. I have the 14-42mm mega ois which is a conventional lens with zoom and focus rings and it's tiny and is the lens I choose when I want the smallest camera and zoom lens package I can get.

I picked up a ‘well used’ Pana-Leica 15/1.7 ‘lux from mpb last week. Testing it on arrival, the optics are perfect - I’d take a couple of paint chips over a lens full of dust and debris anyday. Plus, having owned a Voigtlander Bessa and properly beaten 35 Leica ‘cron along the way, I quite like leica lenses with a bit of ‘patina’.. not that I plan to do that to the 200mm though. It’s a lovely little lens and when working close enough gives a pleasing render to the OOF areas. Wasn’t on my radar but for the low price given the cosmetics, it seemed the perfect opportunity. My new kit stays looking new, but I’m no snob when it comes to buying used - optics over appearance anyday.

On another note, out and about with the 200/1.4TC yesterday, that’s just an incredible lens. One of those that makes me smile every time it’s on the camera. Focus is blazing fast, it has that proper exotic feel to it, the OOF is lovely. My favourite lens feature is the ‘call’ button - basically racks the focus back to the near point, which is very useful indeed.

Last edited:
The big problem with that lens for me is the lack of a focus ring.
Different people different strokes: I think I've used the focus control on an AF lens about twice in the last five years and the extra 2 mm at the wide lens is far more important to me.

I use a combination of AF with manual adjustment all the time. I take quite a few flower/foliage pictures, I sometimes take pictures through glass or snow, people wearing glasses etc, there are many situations which can confuse AF. I really wouldn't want to try living without the ability to MF and would hate having to focus with a sliding scale on the rear screen.

Each to their own but the inability to MF easily makes it a non starter for me especially when the excellent and tiny and conventional 14-42mm is available.

Anyway, I gave myself a talking to and decided I shouldn't buy a GM5 and should stick with what I have. My TZ100 should be my small camera.

Last edited:
Had the G9 for a while now and never really tried it for BIF. I have to say to being very impressed. So long as you can keep the buggars in the viewfinder (which isn’t easy with a 600mm equivalent lens), then it does seem to do a really good job.

Nice pose with the pigeon! - all 3 possibly a bit over saturated, or white balance off?

It was late evening sunlight so very warm. But I could tone it down a bit.

Morning all. I’ve just put a wanted ad for a GX9 and 20mm / 14mm lenses. Anyone got gear they want to offload please?

Morning all. I’ve just put a wanted ad for a GX9 and 20mm / 14mm lenses. Anyone got gear they want to offload please?

I thought you had a GX9, didn't you post photos from Southend seafront?

Park are doing a GX9 body with a free 25mm 1.7 and a spare genuine battery for £429 :oops: :$

Might of just ordered one (but not in stock til 05/06) so might have cancelled it by then :ROFLMAO:

Has anyone had any experience with the various adapters out there to get canon EF onto micro 4/3 with af? I had a viltrox about a 2 years ago which was okay but have been out of the conversion game. Considering going back now, any suggestion? Looking for the best AF possible of course! I’ve got a few nice canon lens to get the most out of!

The 100-400mm has been on my GX80 since I got the lens but today I fitted the 14-42mm G Vario. I like this lens because it's so compact and sharp from wide open although some of the sharpness will probably the lost posting here.

Tending the pots. GX80, 14-42mm, aperture priority and eye detect = forget the settings and just frame and take the picture :D

4kVElQC.jpg

I really like the lawns when they're covered with daisies and buttercups and I always put off cutting them but I suppose I'll have to this week.

Last edited:
Back