"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Contrails? Has someone been playing in the sky?

Panasonic GX80 and 14-42mm at 14mm, 8 pictures stitched together. Please try and ignore next doors washing :D

eCYtiC9.jpg

Just a simple starling in the early morning sun. Panasonic G9 and Olympus 300mm F4 Pro.

if anyones interested I have just listed a G9 extension eyepiece in the for sale section .ideal for spectacle wearers . unused as I returned the G9

I got my GF1 sometime in 2009. I was initially quite happy but I remember really struggling with this picture which was probably the first one I'd taken in very low light, well, it was dark...

R7QSWa9.jpg

In Silkypix it looked lovely until I saved the jpeg at which point it became a noisy mess. I remember I tried emailing or maybe direct messaging someone but it was pointless as all they did was repeatedly tell me how great Silkypix was and that I should be saving at maximum quality which was what I was doing. Shifting away from Silkypix was the answer and I do think shipping the kit with such God awful software is a mistake. I hope it's improved?

Anyway, I tired of back screen shooting, sold it and bought a used G1 which I was much happier with as it had an evf.

I took this the other day with my GX80 and the imo impressive and tiny 14-42mm.

WPJTtzb.jpg

They're not boxes of chocies. As we're isolating and have run out of compost they're full of home made compost stewing. The reason for the picture was that from where I was sat the light and shadow to me made the metal garden table look like a drop leaf :D See, or is it just me? :D

Last edited:
I got my GF1 sometime in 2009. I was initially quite happy but I remember really struggling with this picture which was probably the first one I'd taken in very low light, well, it was dark...

R7QSWa9.jpg

In Silkypix it looked lovely until I saved the jpeg at which point it became a noisy mess. I remember I tried emailing or maybe direct messaging someone but it was pointless as all they did was repeatedly tell me how great Silkypix was and that I should be saving at maximum quality which was what I was doing. Shifting away from Silkypix was the answer and I do think shipping the kit with such God awful software is a mistake. I hope it's improved?

Anyway, I tired of back screen shooting, sold it and bought a used G1 which I was much happier with as it had an evf.

Silkypix is very good these days or at least the paid for Studio Pro 9 I use is.
My main RAW converter, does a very nice job with a host of other editing features

That's good to know. I had hoped they weren't shipping new cameras with poor software these days. Why it would look good in the package but very poor once saved I just don't know.

Anyway.

Thinking of the GF1 reminded me that I took it to Belgium when I want to meet my then Kazakh GF there. She was living in Belgium at the time although she was with me in the UK when I took the above picture, we met in Darlington. I liked this one which was so I was told at the time the most romantic spot in all Belgium...

Iq0Tqrr.jpg

And there's someone there, possibly eating a sarnie. 100%...

1y741r5.jpg

I miss having such a compact camera as even my GX9 and GX80 aren't that small. These days I'd take my TZ100.

That's good to know. I had hoped they weren't shipping new cameras with poor software these days. Why it would look good in the package but very poor once saved I just don't know.

Anyway.

Thinking of the GF1 reminded me that I took it to Belgium when I want to meet my then Kazakh GF there. She was living in Belgium at the time although she was with me in the UK when I took the above picture, we met in Darlington. I liked this one which was so I was told at the time the most romantic spot in all Belgium...

Iq0Tqrr.jpg

And there's someone there, possibly eating a sarnie. 100%...

1y741r5.jpg

I miss having such a compact camera as even my GX9 and GX80 aren't that small. These days I'd take my TZ100.

Guessing Bruges or Ghent?

It was Bruges as that's where we were staying but I couldn't remember as it was a long time ago now and we did spend time in Ghent too. I only found out by googling this place, the picture was taken later the same evening.

CPBhfgl.jpg

The earliest m43 sensors did struggle with anything remotely 'dark' !

I was happy enough once I moved away from Silypix. I always thought and still do that the biggest issue is some artificial lighting. I've seen ISO 26,500 pictures that look ok as whole images and some 1600 ones that looked awful. Another picture from Belgium. This has had a 1 stop exposure boost and imo it's still ok. Try that with a Canon DSLR of that time :D

RlbMekL.jpg

This is a test picture I kept, taken with my G1 at ISO 3200 under artificial lighting, handheld at 1/10.

m0tEf1v.jpg

100%

CNTM0lj.jpg

Yes, there is noise but there's still good detail at 100%, so much so that the numbers on the connector are clean and clear,

Last edited:
Had my first attempt at BIF yesterday, stuck my daughters 100-300 ii on my old G80
The new place she has bought has Red Kites flying round all day, some come down quite low

Admittedly it wasn't a concerted effort, but what an unmitigated disaster.
Couldn't even focus on one in the viewfinder let alone take a photo.
All credit to those who take such great photos that I see on here, lots more practice needed for me

Had my first attempt at BIF yesterday, stuck my daughters 100-300 ii on my old G80
The new place she has bought has Red Kites flying round all day, some come down quite low

Admittedly it wasn't a concerted effort, but what an unmitigated disaster.
Couldn't even focus on one in the viewfinder let alone take a photo.
All credit to those who take such great photos that I see on here, lots more practice needed for me

BIF with the G80 apart from practice is getting the settings right, i have forgotten mine but getting them right gives you the results.

BIF with the G80 apart from practice is getting the settings right, i have forgotten mine but getting them right gives you the results.

Think I need a lot more practice before I worry about settings :)

Think I need a lot more practice before I worry about settings :)

Bet in the end you find its the settings that make it possible, you will struggle a bit if its the mk1 100-300 you have because it has a slower focus motor than the mk2.

Bet in the end you find its the settings that make it possible, you will struggle a bit if its the mk1 100-300 you have because it has a slower focus motor than the mk2.

That's good then it's the Mkii, will have a Google around and see what settings others recommend.
Don't think I will be spending long on this, not really my thing, but those Kites are stunning birds

Agreed. I had a G80 and the AF was instant I found, and easy enough once you get the practice for birds in flight etc. I used the same lens, the 100-300 too. Underrated but very good option!

We are proud Grandparents again.

Yes, that’s correct we have single-handedly raised another brood of bluetit chicks in our garden bird house. (mother and father blue tit did help of course)

They fledged over the last couple of days and are now out in the big wide world leaving my wife and I missing their constant activity in and around our garden.

Here are a few pictures I took over the last couple of days.

Taken with my newly acquired G90.

We were raised here.

i-FdDhNPc-XL.jpg

Mother feeding chick.

i-nfKKGg4-XL.jpg

I'm hungry.

i-9tdFqCc-XL.jpg

First steps.

i-6pqcS6q-XL.jpg

Second steps.

i-WV36QNZ-XL.jpg

Ready to leave.

i-wvr23Jd-XL.jpg

lovely story and images Roy

It looks like a lovely day. It's raining here but at least that means I don't want to go out as much :D

How does the 15mm 1.7 compare to the 20mm 1.7 in sharpness, focus speed etc ?

I've bought and sold about 9 or 10x 20mm lenses over the years like they were some kind of disposable tin of beans or pint of milk - although I really enjoy using the lens, the focal length and the images - it has kind of been my goto M43 lens on a number of panny and oly bodies, I am considering a look at other options this time around.

Also, am getting a free 25mm 1.7 with the GX9 so am intending to sell this to partially fund another 20 or the 15. I think 50mm equiv is just too close for my only lens and preferred genres.

Last edited:
I have the GX9 and it is a nice camera but maybe the GX80 needs to be considered too?

Some people see a difference between the 20 and 16mp sensors but although I've looked I don't see anything to worry about. I suppose even if I take a worst case view and say there's no improvement at all with the GX9 the GX9 is still better as you get the extra mp's with no hit to quality :D

The main differences for me with the GX80 aren't image quality concerns but rather the lack of exposure compensation in manual mode, the lack of a physical exposure lock / AF/MF switch and the lack of a tiltable EVF. If those aren't deal breakers the cheaper GX80 may be worth a look?

How does the 15mm 1.7 compare to the 20mm 1.7 in sharpness, focus speed etc ?

I've bought and sold about 9 or 10x 20mm lenses over the years like they were some kind of disposable tin of beans or pint of milk - although I really enjoy using the lens, the focal length and the images - it has kind of been my goto M43 lens on a number of panny and oly bodies, I am considering a look at other options this time around.

Also, am getting a free 25mm 1.7 with the GX9 so am intending to sell this to partially fund another 20 or the 15. I think 50mm equiv is just too close for my only lens and preferred genres.
I had a 20mm way back with the G1, I remember it fondly... but too long ago to compare directly. I will say, the 15mm feels a little piece of luxury, and I like the images it makes - punchy and sweet, which is probably microcontrast and falloff if I had to put science into it. I prefer a wider angle too, 50’s aren’t exactly my thing, I’d toss a coin between a 24/35 and so the 30 is a good allround compromise. My 15mm cost £210 as a beater cosmetically but was optically perfect [not even dust] - if you’re a dab hand with a black sharpie or just don’t mind a scratch or two on the bodywork, find a ‘well used’..... it’s a cut above for a similar price. There must be a reason you keep buying the 20.. but, there must be a reason you sell it too!

Last edited:
Thanks both,
I’ll look at the GX80 woof.
The 20 got bought and sold everytime I bought and sold an m43 camera :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
I love the images from it vs the size - yes, it focuses abit slower than the newer lenses but the FL, bokeh and sharpness are superb.
Just thought I’d try the slightly wider 15 because.... (y)

I ended up with the Olympus 17mm f1.8 which is a nice lens, seems to focus quickly and has that lovely manual focus ability. I think all MFT and indeed all FBW lenses should be made like it :D

Messing about with a GH2, 45-150 and extension tubes...

Carpet pile extension tubes GH2 P1320268.JPG

Crumpled alluminium foil extension tubes GH2 P1320263.jpg

Slipper decoration extension tubes GH2 P1320269.jpg

Electric cable extension tubes GH2 P1320270.JPG

For some reason those make me think of Top of the pops and album covers of the 60's and 70's :D

Reactions: CSB
The Online Photographer is giving the GX9 and 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens a road test. In this piece he's talking about the lens but promising to talk about the camera later.

https://theonlinephotographer.typep...nic-gx9-and-12-60mm-f35-56-review-part-i.html

I use my GX9 mostly with the Oly 17mm f1.8 but sometimes the 12-35mm f2.8. My GX80 usually has the 100-400mm, 45-150mm or 14-42mm G Vario (the tiny one) on it.

I can see the appeal of the 12-60mm but it's bigger than the 14-42mm so I don't think I'll get one but I just wondered if anyone has any experience with the 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 or the f2.8-4 version or also the 14-140mm f4-5.8?

Here they all are on cameras...

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
The Online Photographer is giving the GX9 and 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens a road test. In this piece he's talking about the lens but promising to talk about the camera later.

https://theonlinephotographer.typep...nic-gx9-and-12-60mm-f35-56-review-part-i.html

I use my GX9 mostly with the Oly 17mm f1.8 but sometimes the 12-35mm f2.8. My GX80 usually has the 100-400mm, 45-150mm or 14-42mm G Vario (the tiny one) on it.

I can see the appeal of the 12-60mm but it's bigger than the 14-42mm so I don't think I'll get one but I just wondered if anyone has any experience with the 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 or the f2.8-4 version or also the 14-140mm f4-5.8?

Here they all are on cameras...

View attachment 282373

I had the 12-60 3.5-5.6 as a walk around lens, I loved the range but found it lacked sharpness compared to my 12-35 lens, so I replaced it with the Leica version which I'm very happy with.

I borrowed a colleague's 14-140 but I wasn't impressed with it. I found it to be softer than the 12-60 3.5-5.6 lens and I missed the wider 12mm end.

I've got the 12-60 2.8-4.0, and my missus has the 14-140. Tbh - I'm hugely impressed with the both of them. I've printed up to 8x10 from both lenses (G9 and a GM5 respectively) and if I didn't know who had taken which photo, I wouldn't be able to tell based on IQ.

Back