"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

It adjusts the exposure based on both brightness and subject movement, rather than just brightness.

I've read that Bob but cant get my head around what it really means.

So are we saying it ups the ISO ,if it sees movement, to allow a higher shutter speed?

If so does it also adjust shutter speed or aperture, according to mode. Thereby overriding other settings?

So are we saying it ups the ISO ,if it sees movement, to allow a higher shutter speed?
Thats the intention, but the general consensus seems to be that it doesn't work in the way you'd expect, and it won't necessarily use a shutter speed that suits your requirements, eg, freeze the movement.

Last edited:
Thats the intention, but the general consensus seems to be that it doesn't work in the way you'd expect, and it won't necessarily use a shutter speed that suits your requirements, eg, freeze the movement.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. If you want movement frozen, you can see it on the camera monitor. If your shot is buggered with high iso, it may not be noticeable till later.

Last edited:
I usually just ignore anything I don't understand but I suppose putting the effort in to get to understand these things is best as they just might be useful :D

So this Samyang could be a good contender for astrophoto?
Any reason why it would be less sharp that a samyang 10 f2.8?

I usually just ignore anything I don't understand but I suppose putting the effort in to get to understand these things is best as they just might be useful :D

It bugs me if I don't know. :thinking:

If you shoot raw you don't need to understand this ;-/. That's my escuse anyway. Could be usefull when shooting video. And also I still wonder if I should shoot Jpg because from my test appart from the ease of WB there is not very much difference especially if you only spend little time processing.

If you shoot raw you don't need to understand this ;-/. That's my escuse anyway. Could be usefull when shooting video. And also I still wonder if I should shoot Jpg because from my test appart from the ease of WB there is not very much difference especially if you only spend little time processing.

If jpeg gives you the results you want then shoot it, make sure the basic jpeg settings in the camera are the set the best for you,jpeg engines in cameras have come a long way and for the vast majority of images they will cope.

"silly" moment today I realised that when you are in manual focus mode, you can zoom in the focus area! Just need to use pinch with 2 fingers on the screen for zooming in and out...
I spend a year thinking that the zooming area was too small to really see enough detail in it.

Also there is a setting which chooses if this area take over the whole screen when rotating the focus ring, again making it easier to get good focus.

All this can make it easier for critical focus.

Last edited:
I bought the samyang 10mm T3.1, finger cross it will be good. At 232£ delivered there was nothing near with similar price tag.
Northern light have already been spotted this year, it seem like it is the start of a new solar cycle after last winter which was the quietest in a while. So finger crossed. If the MFT sensor can cope I will be chuffed to bits but I don't have huge hope.

So I bought it!

What a lens. :banana:

I popped into Park Cameras today, five minutes before buying it ... Lumix 7-14mm £839 new, £489 used.

I love this kind of bargain, I'm somewhat more relaxed about using it. More creative, hopefully.

Here's a snap of it on my GX80

ACtC-3dFpZiMO5NuZwW_3YY-ipa4SH4qvuYHMC8H_dB3V5J9qGqZCPW6cfPQIlHfnZ4VNIFcKJOoOWUJhZnpJQjssAaWEy6LcovyGhs5rJnnqzA2cCtFTsFIsuIeJhbp0BsUwb4mnmIdMDjEDnpY_W0R0ZBTQA=w1180-h867-no

A bit of dust on the whatsit ring grip, but clean inside. :cool:

Last edited:
So I bought it!

What a lens. :banana:

I popped into Park Cameras today, five minutes before buying it ... Lumix 7-14mm £839 new, £489 used.

I love this kind of bargain, I'm somewhat more relaxed about using it. More creative, hopefully.

Here's a snap of it on my GX80

ACtC-3dFpZiMO5NuZwW_3YY-ipa4SH4qvuYHMC8H_dB3V5J9qGqZCPW6cfPQIlHfnZ4VNIFcKJOoOWUJhZnpJQjssAaWEy6LcovyGhs5rJnnqzA2cCtFTsFIsuIeJhbp0BsUwb4mnmIdMDjEDnpY_W0R0ZBTQA=w1180-h867-no

A bit of dust on the whatsit ring grip, but clean inside. :cool:
Wow!
What a bargain....

Lovely shots, hope you’re enjoying the big prime too! Regarding the lenses, I agree - MFT is surely the ‘funnest’ playground for experimentation and chopping and changing kit to suit. What a great array of optically lovely primes and zooms, all priced within reach of the everyman, used and new with a vibrant market. Size matters, too, I couldn’t go back to huge and expensive glass both at the wide and tele ends.
I finally got out and about recently with the G80 after an age only shooting FZ82/iphone, and it reminded me how lucky we are to have such great kit. Sure, I liked my A7 but I just couldn’t stand the cost and size of the lenses I’d need to put on it. For example, the 70-300, optically very decent but not stellar, for £1000? I couldn’t personally justify that expense, and had it not been for the lovely little Samyang 35 I’d probably have never experienced more than the kit zoom. I’m certainly not down on FF, it’s very sweet... but MFT is no slouch and for some of us is the perfect tradeoff between price, size and availability.

Heavy gang coming in

P1010237.jpg

This guy could do with some help as he's had no replies...

Im using the image app to xfer shots to my tablet and phone. I usually just download to pc at home. I'd forgotten how absolute pants it is to get it connected.
Anbody any super tips on making this piece of junk software actually perform?

Also why when i do a carriage return on my phone or tablet does this forum hide my keyboard so i gave to open it again?

I've never had any issues connecting to the app on my GH5. I enable wifi on the camera first, then choose the saved previous connection on the camera. On the phone I open up the available wifi networks and connect to the GH5 network when it pops up, then I open the Panasonic image app which connects straight away.

I've never had any issues connecting to the app on my GH5. I enable wifi on the camera first, then choose the saved previous connection on the camera. On the phone I open up the available wifi networks and connect to the GH5 network when it pops up, then I open the Panasonic image app which connects straight away.

Thats exactly what I do but the results are very hit and miss. :(

Well caught. Not a wheelie bin in sight.

Thank you Trevor, not easy these days I will admit, just back from me was a low street light and a Blue one way sign.
Took a while waiting for either no cars or pedestrians, so it was a bit more rushed than I would have liked.

Well caught. Not a wheelie bin in sight.
I wish to object to this negative characterisation of wheelie bins on behalf of the Association of Wheelie Bin Fanciers. Wheelie bins matter! :naughty:

New Street Exmouth SL300 DSCF3751.JPG

( Full disclosure: this was made with my £5 Fujifilm SL300 but I had a GM5 around my neck at the time )

An interesting read. I'm happy with af performance for stills in both my GX80 & GH5, but video af is still an issue on Panasonic bodies. It's frustrating that Panasonic aren't including phase detect af in their new bodies, especially when looking at the results from the Olympus EM1 which has PDAF. I'm sure it will affect people's buying choices, especially if considering a switch to full frame, where the af performance of the new S5 is still lacking compared to a Canon body with DPAF, which sets the bar quite high.

The article hints that things will get better as technology improves, but how long can Panasonic hold out if sales don't take off? It's a slightly worrying thought.

One advantage of the way Panasonic do focus is that the effects PDAF can have on pictures wont be present in Panasonic pictures. These effects may only be visible in some circumstances and when pixel peeping but they're not there at all (I assume...) in Panasonic pictures.

Video does seem to be a challenge but I'd imagine that for stills picture takers and even a large proportion of people taking pictures of moving things Panasonic focus may be easily good enough even today.

I'd imagine that for stills picture takers and even a large proportion of people taking pictures of moving things Panasonic focus may be easily good enough even today.

I think it is, like I said I'm more than happy with the af performance when taking stills, even of moving subjects.

I have a GX80 and a GX9 and they both seem very fast to focus when taking pictures. The eye detect seems very fast and seems to lock on well but I don't really take pictures of fast action.

Back