"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Any G9/Lumix Guru's here...?

I've managed to acquire one from MPB, (like new condition, shutter count 600, very pleased) but's it's gone away to Santa.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get my head around the manual but am struggling to understand the difference between shooting in a Burst Mode (using Burst Mode position 1 or 2 on the drive dial) and 6k photo (using the 6k position on the drive dial).

It appears that Burst Modes will provide raw and/or jpeg, 6k jpeg only. Are there any other glaring differences that I'm missing? When would one choose to use a Burst Mode over the 6k photo mode and vice versa?

Think the 6k will only be 10 bit compared to the 12 bit of the burst mode.
Never used the 6k and doubt I ever will, haven't tried the high res mode either.
In fact only used the video when I pressed it by mistake, few frames of feet and expletives
Quality looked and sounded very good, made my missus laugh a lot

Last edited:
On my gx9, I don't like the 4k mode. I capture a 4k video and then you can export the frame wanted. The quality is far from a normal photo. I wanted to like it and I tried it but it creates tons of poor photo instead of a few good ones i get with the high speed burst mode.
On burst mode it just takes photo at the normal resolution.

It might be a bit similar on the G9?

Any G9/Lumix Guru's here...?

I've managed to acquire one from MPB, (like new condition, shutter count 600, very pleased) but's it's gone away to Santa.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get my head around the manual but am struggling to understand the difference between shooting in a Burst Mode (using Burst Mode position 1 or 2 on the drive dial) and 6k photo (using the 6k position on the drive dial).

It appears that Burst Modes will provide raw and/or jpeg, 6k jpeg only. Are there any other glaring differences that I'm missing? When would one choose to use a Burst Mode over the 6k photo mode and vice versa?

These YouTube videos might help.
The Panasonic expert explains - I hope it helps.

Burst modes:
View: https://youtu.be/GiiWOPqyMp0

4 & 6K video:
View: https://youtu.be/8GhH0mg-SXM

Thanks for the links; much appreciated.

It appears to me that the Burst Shooting options make the 6k Photo Mode somewhat redundant. There must be some reason why it's included though.

Nice weather yesterday so went for a drive out to Castle Acre, Norfolk.
Tried to show the contours of the various earthworks, nice colours whatever.

castle acre-1.1.jpg

Hi folks. I have just swapped my G80 for a G9 and am finally trying to get my head around the image stabilisation system.

I read that it’s meant to provide “up to 5 stops” of stabilisation. I’m using the Olympus Pro 12-40 lens so completely understand that sensor stabilisation only is available with this lens.

For a given scene, if I set a focal length of 25mm, fix iso at 200 and measure exposure, I can get a “normal” exposure using f2.8 at 1/60 second. The system indicates that stabilisation is being provided. If I choose to make the scene brighter by 1 stop, I.e use 1/30 second, stabilisation is still being provided. If I choose to make the scene brighter by 2 stops, i.e. Use 1/15 second, I get the jitter alert.

I expected the sensor only stabilisation to provide more than that.

I also have a Panasonic 45-150 lens with lens stabilisation. For a given scene, if I set a focal length of 45mm, fix iso at 1000, I can get a “normal“ exposure using f4.0 at 1/100 second. The system indicates that dual stabilisation is being provided. If I choose to make the scene brighter by 1 stop, I.e. use 1/50 second, dual stabilisation is still being provided. Likewise at 2 stops brighter with 1/25. Any more than that though and I get the jitter alert.

Am I fundamentally misunderstanding something? Is stabilisation still being provided even if the alert is present?

Today's Goldfinch & Greenfinch
I don't think I'll ever sell this lens.

G9 with PL 200mm f2.8 + 1.4 T/C
1/500th @ f4, ISO 250 Goldfinch, ISO 2000 Greenfinch.

Goldfinch-2.jpgGreenfinch-1.jpg

@F70100 Stabilisation is still working, just turn it off to see the difference.
Never fully understood or took any notice of the red camera alert icon.
Don't think the G9 is supposed to be that bigger improvement on the G80, pretty sure that was said to give about 4 stops.
Been using mine with an Olympus 12-100 which only uses the lens ois, camera ibis turns off automatically.
Can hold hold to what is for shaky me quite long shutter speeds, but mainly trial and error to see what you can manage.

Last edited:
@F70100 Stabilisation is still working, just turn it off to see the difference.
Never fully understood or took any notice of the red camera alert icon.
Don't think the G9 is supposed to be that bigger improvement on the G80, pretty sure that was said to give about 4 stops.
Been using mine with an Olympus 12-100 which only uses the lens ois, camera ibis turns off automatically.
Can hold hold to what is for shaky me quite long shutter speeds, but mainly trial and error to see what you can manage.

Thanks Rich. I didn't make the swap particularly for an improvement in stabilisation, I had an opportunity for an upgrade and decided to go for it. I also tried an Olympus M1 mk2, and so much wanted to like it but couldn't get on with the menus. G80 to G9 is a much more straightforward path.

Thanks Rich. I didn't make the swap particularly for an improvement in stabilisation, I had an opportunity for an upgrade and decided to go for it. I also tried an Olympus M1 mk2, and so much wanted to like it but couldn't get on with the menus. G80 to G9 is a much more straightforward path.

G9 is possibly the best M4/3 camera although the Olympus aficionados won't agree with that statement.
Only negatives I can find with the G9 are the evf corner distortion and not that keen on the joystick placement.
Everything else is a winner, some people dislike the sensitive shutter button, mine has a definite two stage so all good there.
Guess the ibis will work very well with lenses that give dual is2, haven't got any of them to try.

G9 is possibly the best M4/3 camera although the Olympus aficionados won't agree with that statement.
Only negatives I can find with the G9 are the evf corner distortion and not that keen on the joystick placement.
Everything else is a winner, some people dislike the sensitive shutter button, mine has a definite two stage so all good there.
Guess the ibis will work very well with lenses that give dual is2, haven't got any of them to try.

I’ve had EM1 mark ii & iii, the handling/ergonomics are way behind the G9 - just wish the autofocus was better!
For my birding I mainly use my Sony gear - but I won’t let my G9 go.

TBH, I've not noticed any image shake with the G9 dual or single stabilisation. The only times I've seen shake in the last 18 months or so that I've had the G9, is when I've been working with film!

what is the smallest m4/3 to consider. I see the gm1 was the smallest but pretty old now? What is the current smallest one? I don't mind having a viewfinder.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Just treated myself to a Leica 50-200mm - wow!
I thought I'd post an image of a Fieldfare I shot with the lens and the G9 yesterday - before and after the crop.

Fieldfare.jpg
Fieldfare-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Happy New Year to everyone!

Just treated myself to a Leica 50-200mm - wow!
I thought I'd post an image of a Fieldfare I shot with the lens and the G9 yesterday - before and after the crop.

View attachment 303932
View attachment 303933

Heard good things about this lens, seems they were right.
Not really got a use for one myself, but looks excellent for those who have.
Nice one

Couple of bif shots yesterday - G9 with the PL 50-200mm.
Just to satisfy myself you can get the occasional one in focus!

P1020937.jpgP1020940.jpg

great crop, was this in manual focus? I find my gx9 struggle with small target.

Hi Tom,
No, it was AF Continuous, single point (as small as possible).
You might find this article interesting?

First go with the G9 yesterday. The lens was Lumix 45-150 f3.5-f5.6.

Not being the brightest of sparks, I realise having reviewed them that there are some things I should have set before shooting, but will change for next time;

i) I should have used the widest possible aperture,
ii) I think a shutter speed of around 1/60 might improve the sharpness of the subject,
iii) I should have (and could have) set the ISO lower,
iv) I should have set the stabiliser to panning mode.
v) I need to practice panning with a longer focal length to avoid having to crop so heavily.

Ho hum, hopefully better next time.

20210103-P1000428.jpg20210103-P1000430.jpg20210103-P1000592.jpg20210103-P1000712.jpg20210103-P1000743.jpg20210103-P1000759.jpg20210103-P1000765.jpg

First go with the G9 yesterday. The lens was Lumix 45-150 f3.5-f5.6.

Not being the brightest of sparks, I realise having reviewed them that there are some things I should have set before shooting, but will change for next time;

i) I should have used the widest possible aperture,
ii) I think a shutter speed of around 1/60 might improve the sharpness of the subject,
iii) I should have (and could have) set the ISO lower,
iv) I should have set the stabiliser to panning mode.
v) I need to practice panning with a longer focal length to avoid having to crop so heavily.

Ho hum, hopefully better next time.

View attachment 304281View attachment 304282View attachment 304283View attachment 304284View attachment 304285View attachment 304286View attachment 304287

Not bad at all for a first attempt. Panning is not easy!

Many moons ago I used a raw converter called Photo Ninja for my Fuji RAF files.
Thought I would see how the latest version behaved with Panasonic RW2
Very pleasantly surprised, in fact the best I have come across as yet and i've tried a few
Started with the trial version and found out I could get a paid upgrade rather than buy again from new
This is a photo using solely PN to edit although it can be used as LR plug in for further processing.
Still getting my head round it again, but think its certainly worth a try

P1004619_v1.1.jpg

Hi everyone. Not been on here for ages but I've rediscovered my interest in photography during assorted recent lockdowns. Anyhoo, started with m43 back with the excellent GF1 (still got), eventually replaced it with a GX80 but managed to break that last autumn so replaced it with a G90. Really enjoying using it. Had the Oly 75-300 stuck to the front of it permanently while I try and get to grips with bird pics!

P1031549.jpgcoot.jpg

friendsofWEC.jpg

These birds photo are great, really when it comes to birds it's not all about the kit but how close you managed to get to them. And i'm sure you've managed that well!

I've just added a GX880 to my GX9 and also just won an auction for a 14mm f2.5 to help make this little camera pocket friendly. First time ever I will have two body which might be usefull from time to time.

I'll probably sell the silver 12-32 which came with the GX880 if anyone interested I'm more into prime lens.

Not often you get to see a robin on the beach, even less often he is so friendly you can take photo when the only lens you are carrying is the lumix 42.5mm f/1.7

20210117-B&W-P1073620.jpg20210117-B&W-P1073622.jpg

Can I control my GX9 or my GX880 from my desktop (windows 10)?
I have never use anything like this before so no idea where to start.
I have lightroom too.

Can I control my GX9 or my GX880 from my desktop (windows 10)?
I have never use anything like this before so no idea where to start.
I have lightroom too.

Why not use the wifi Lumix app on a tablet or phone.
The low drain bluetooth connection works well as a remore shutter release.

I do not have either a tablet or a phone. But I could borrow my girlfriend's phone.

I don't think there is any software to tether either of these cameras to a desktop or laptop.
So it looks like borrowing your girlfriends phone would be the best bet.
See here for the cameras that can be tethered https://tethertools.com/tethering-software/lumix-tether/
Never tried it with my G9, always use the Lumix app for anything like that

Last edited:
Found that old software called Lmaster (stands for lumix master). Sadly it's not been updated since 2017. But it managed to connect to the GX880, can change all the settings, focus and shoot remotely. It sort of works with the GX9 too but focusing doesn't seem to work. Still, I think it is a good option for what i want to do which is set the camera in front of the kitchen window and shoot bird remotely.

Hello! I just joined the forums since I was looking for lens advice, I was gonna make a separate post but I think it is more appropriate I post it here.

I have had the Panasonic G85 for a year now with the standard lens that was included and I have been looking to get a new lens, although I am mainly a hobby photographer who knows the basics still and thus I have no clue on what lenses to get so I was really hoping you guys could perhaps help me.

I really want to be a wildlife/macro photographer. I really love animals so any Lenses that can really zoom in and take great pictures from far away is definitely what I am after! Right now I usually have to get as close as I can to an animal and just start snapping wildly hoping I can get a good picture before it runs off, I would really appreciate it if anyone would help me finding a good lens, the price doesn't really matter just hopefully under 500 would be ideal.

and if this isn't in the right thread for this stuff please let me know. :)

Hello! I just joined the forums since I was looking for lens advice, I was gonna make a separate post but I think it is more appropriate I post it here.

I have had the Panasonic G85 for a year now with the standard lens that was included and I have been looking to get a new lens, although I am mainly a hobby photographer who knows the basics still and thus I have no clue on what lenses to get so I was really hoping you guys could perhaps help me.

I really want to be a wildlife/macro photographer. I really love animals so any Lenses that can really zoom in and take great pictures from far away is definitely what I am after! Right now I usually have to get as close as I can to an animal and just start snapping wildly hoping I can get a good picture before it runs off, I would really appreciate it if anyone would help me finding a good lens, the price doesn't really matter just hopefully under 500 would be ideal.

and if this isn't in the right thread for this stuff please let me know. :)

Have a look for a used 100-300mm lens would be my suggestion. Not used one myself so might be worth looking online for some reviews

Have a look for a used 100-300mm lens would be my suggestion. Not used one myself so might be worth looking online for some reviews
:agree:
The mkii version is sharper.
I used one with my G3 a few years back.
Beware though, before long you will want the 100-400...;)

I have the 100-400 and it help getting closer indeed. But for all wildlife you still need to get as close as possible, that what makes a good photo! Proximity is more that the difference 100mm between 300 and 400mm.

Ok thanks everyone :) I was just also wondering, since most of the names of lenses are like canon do I need an adapter for the lens to work with Panasonic? this is mainly the thing I am confused about since I don't wanna buy a really good lens only for it to not work with my G85 and I don't what adapter to really get.

For the price you mentioned its got to be the Panasonic 100-300 ii, not much other choice and no adapter needed.
With your G85 it will give you dual is2 which means the lens stabilisation works in tandem with the camera stabilisation.
Its a pretty good lens for the money and you should be able to find a decent used one for about 400 quid or less.
This looks a decent buy to me https://www.wexphotovideo.com/panasonic-100-300mm-f4-0-5-6-ii-lumix-g-vario-lens-used-1764382/

Last edited:
Back