Panasonic HC-X1500/2000 thread.

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
First of all I wish to make it clear I have absolutely no connection with Panasonic only as an end user

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4_28TQyvV0

What a camcorder (around £1400) it blew me away with the 1500 version and adding a top handle. Having had a earlier model Panasonic camcorder for about 10/11 years I eventually went back to this mark after being extremely disappointed with the Sony AX-53. But gave me a chance to do a comparison and go back to Panasonic.

OK it is classed as a "pro" camcorder and I can understand why, but I am jumping ahead. When I first opened the box and powered it up for the first time the menu seemed strange and took me, being bit thick, a good long time to partly get to grips with it . Like most photographic stuff their are parts in the menu one never uses but there incase. For me this is broadcasting live to youtube for example.
There are so many features within the menu I won't even bother to start mentioning, I would be here writing about them for hours. Also there is enough on youtube anyway. One thing though is worth a mention is the cost of a genuine spare battery, to me a Panasonic battery @ around £200 is a complete rip off but there are third party batteries a lot cheaper.
On the plus side it is relatively light and small for this class of camcorder and what you get is a bag full of options built in, and stills can be taken off in replay within the camcorder. Sometimes overlooked.

Like most camcorders and also cameras the microphone is susceptable to wind " rumble" so an external mike is handy. Another thing I don't like is not having a wireless on /off facility via a remote switch although LAN switch does do zoom/stop/start but has to be wired. Also the small sensor does it no favours in a darkened area, but one should realise that before considering purchase.

Ok enough about what I don't like, what about what I do like?apart from already mentioned. It attracts attention as I have found out numerous times. As such it gives one a chance to talk to other photographers who may have not bothered if you just had a camera. Maybe this is because not many go around with a camcorder preferring to use one of those horrible phone things and pretending to be a photographer.:oops: :$ :exit:

so that is a rough idea as to why I bought one and if anyone wants to know more sepecifically then i will do my best to answer

Last edited:
More of my thoughts on above

Ok why a camcorder against a stills camera. the problem as I see it is a stills camera only takes what is in ront of it and nothing else as hat is its prime purpose. at you loose is the surroundings and all going on around it. No sound no showing what may be happening at that moment. Yes great for portraits and still life and I accept that is an art in itself getting the ideal.
But oooh what a lot one misses which a camcorder captures, on sound the stereo effect for one thing which puts you right into the video as part of .Or showing friend across the world places you been in virtual reality.

Then comes the big question of cost. Comparing same for same prices camera V camcorder, well you just can't. You get so much more for your money with a camcorder and all in one package. No more lugging around no end of lenses and changing missing the shot.

I certainly notice the difference weight wise between my camcorder and my Nikon D810 to the extent I now mainly carry around with the camcorder my
Panasonic DC-TZ95 so I am not opposed to using a camera it is so much more interesting doing it with a camcorder.

Last edited:
Still finding out more about this camcorder. just discovered the focus can be set to fine or course or normal adjustment via the focus ring. what a bonus in certain circumstances
a couple of frame stills direct off camcorder. no editing.

21000060.JPG

21000062.JPG
concrete bowl is sharp, birds movement bit blurred is second photo

Last edited:
Panasonic Hc-X1500 rearraging preset buttons

yep subject back again. Just been playing with the settings and come to the conclusion intelligent zoom is not really having on preset button NO1 so changed it to optical image stablisation for either pan and tilt- normal or stable under the same button . then using button 5 for digital zero-x2-x5 or as x10. times , 2 is about the same as intelligent zoom anyway

Last edited:
Table top setup

_DSC7621 aa.jpg

from the bottom up

Moman tripod legs
Sirui SLK-200 extn arm
Manfrotto befree handle with wired remote for zoom /start/stop but no on/off switch
Panasonic HC _X1500
panasonic HC-X1500 top handle
Panasonic VW -VMS10 Microphone
I have added a bluetooth transmitter ( shown below the XLR ports) wired into the camcorder output mike port at the back and the mike into the camcorder input port. Now I can by using a bluetooth headset I can test sound without being tethered to the camcorder from any position.

Last edited:
I am getting a bit annoyed with the curled cable from remote control to camcorder port. So decided and ordered straight 7 " (2.5mm Stereo Male to 2.5mm Male 3 Plug Aux Nickel Plated Cable). that should tidy up the rig a bit. Strangly enough therfe are not too many 2.5 mm straight 7 inch cables to choose from by different manufactures

Last edited:
Back