Panasonic LX100

The lx100 would bring much more to me than the xf1 - 1/16000s for example. Compared to the rx100, it doesn't reach f2.8 until 52mm whereas the rx100 is at f2.8 at 35mm.

I think about what I do with the xf1 - it's generally kept in my laptop bag or the car door so no size issues here. Then I think no tilting screen ( not the end of the world as I don't have one now..). Image quality appears to be on par I think

Do you think the XF1 and LX100 are comparable on image quality?

I hope not :) that was supposed to read lx100 and rx100 being comparable. Sorry, badly worded

like the look of this but not for £700, pricing themselves out of the market, it may be a great camera but to charge that it needs to not only have the IQ but have the same cool factor as the Fuji's, which imho it doesn't...

I do like the look of it, yes, and Eric's shots look great but there's no way there i'd be paying the current price either - i'd like it but I'm not desperate to change

Im not really sure it is overpriced, in terms of video it has 4k, the lens is the highlight though.

Why don't you price up a Fuji or M43 camera body with equiv 24-70 F1.7 - 2.8 lenses, either primes or zooms and see what it costs you.

like the look of this but not for £700, pricing themselves out of the market, it may be a great camera but to charge that it needs to not only have the IQ but have the same cool factor as the Fuji's, which imho it doesn't...

Harsh, IMVHO, especially as so few people have used the camera.

I'm also not sure about pricing themselves out of the market as the list of cameras with a largish sensor, a fixed fastish zoom and a good degree of manual control is rather short. I suppose you could say that it's just a camera and there are lots of cameras to choose from but from what I've read it's selling well even at the arguably high price. The market will ultimately decide if the camera is a success or not but at the moment it's possibly a little rash to write it off so easily.

Harsh, IMVHO, especially as so few people have used the camera.

I'm also not sure about pricing themselves out of the market as the list of cameras with a largish sensor, a fixed fastish zoom and a good degree of manual control is rather short. I suppose you could say that it's just a camera and there are lots of cameras to choose from but from what I've read it's selling well even at the arguably high price. The market will ultimately decide if the camera is a success or not but at the moment it's possibly a little rash to write it off so easily.

Just my opinion of course, and I'm not writing it off, just at £500-600 I'd be interested, at £700 I'm not, but then I have no interest in 4k video.

Price up an M4/3 body and a 12-40/2.8 and suddenly the LX100 looks pretty reasonably priced.

I'm seriously considering selling my 12-40 to get one.
In fact, the only lenses keeping me attracted to my M4/3 ILC are the 45/1.8 and the 14-150 superzoom.
The 25/1.4 is a lovely lens, but I don't really need anything that fast and I'm attracted to having just one camera and lens. Especially one I can put in a coat pocket (which my EM5 and 12-40 cannot do).

For all who are interested it is a cracking little camera i bought mine on the 26th October from London camera exchange in Worcester i love it. I did toy with the Sony rx100 mk3. but the Panasonic for me is a lot better the controls are more accessible the power zoom is fine in use the manual focus ring is great. and the most used controls fall to hand easily the only downside is I have been a little to busy to have a decent play with it. It fits into my jacket pockets and in my cargo trousers so is fairly easy to carry this was one of the more important aspects of me buying it. I can access this camera easily when traveling save unpacking the SLR. I am intrigued with the thought of the 4K video and 8Mb stills it will be interesting to see what quality I can get from this option.
Regards
Richard

Just had a play with one in John Lewis - the evf colours bear no resemblance to reality ie the blacks showed as green :eek:

Haha - I actually went to look at a laptop for Charlie but got distracted:(

The width is pretty much the same as the xf1 but the thickness is much greater. Had a look at the rx100 m3 too - much better evf, tiny in comparison....but is it just too small and slippy ?

Could thd green blacks be a wb issue? Don't think Panny would get things that wtong and no one else has mentioned it. Time will tell.

Don't know - I did read about evf colours ( at least I think I read it.. )

if it's the same as the one on the GX7 it should be ok. The only ctirisism I've read is rainbow effect but I've never noticed it as an issue. GX7 evf doesn't look really crisp to me but colours seem acceptable. Haven't read any cfitisism of LX100 colours being off but will google.

Hmmm. I'll believe it when I see it :D as could easily be related to WB or something that you could fix in settings as you can alter the settings on both my Panasonics and I'd be surprised if you can't do the same with this new jobbie. Tried my GX7 just to check and blacks are black with not a hint of green but that was in natural light. I certainly haven't noticed any significant colour issues with either of my Panasonics that were not WB artificial light related.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'll believe it when I see it :D as could easily be related to WB or something that you could fix in settings as you can alter the settings on both my Panasonics and I'd be surprised if you can't do the same with this new jobbie. Tried my GX7 just to check and blacks are black with not a hint of green but that was in natural light. I certainly haven't noticed any significant colour issues with either of my Panasonics that were not WB artificial light related.

TBH, Id agree with this.

A-ha - so you can EVF settings on other cameras ? I've never had one so I'm alien to it all...

There doesn't appear to be any concerns re the evf on PL or mu43 ( with the minor exception of rainbowing ) so that's good :)

Market research guv.

Have a look on mu43 - images so far are nice and a lack of LR raw support has been found in the form of a work around.

Unfortunately, charlie shouted "£700 - bloody hell "

which was unfortunate for me in the shop. And because he's 11.

Lmfao!! Brilliant. Bringing them up well I see. :D

£700 is pretty cheap in the grand scale of things, but I guess an 11 year old wouldn't see it like that unless it was an xbox and 5 games for themselves.... :D

So is this your next camera then?

Market research guv.

Have a look on mu43 - images so far are nice and a lack of LR raw support has been found in the form of a work around.

I still can't open GX7 files in PS5, I convert to DNG and away I go. I don't know if DNG will support LX100 yet but if not and until there's the dreaded Silkipix.

I had a play with one the other day, really liked its handling, fit my hands well and it seemed to work pretty swiftly. Like the multi aspect bracketing mode, taking 1 pic at each ratio. 4k photo mode is quite cool.
evf was excellent I thought, no lag,no flicker and colours looked fine in a dark artificially lit building with no windows!

6400 iso test shot, nothing special but I was quite surprised.

lx 100 iso 6400 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

original is on my flickr if you want to see it

Back