Which should i get?

• Sony HX 80

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Name
Jason Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, id really appreciate some help and advice. I want to buy my Dad a compact camera for Christmas and have narrowed it down to the panasonic TZ60 (US model ZS40). He has done a fair amount of photography in the past with both SLRs and DSLRs but is now getting to an age where he would like the convenience of a compact but one that can produce a good quality picture. I know he is keen on the 30x zoom that both offer, but other than that id say image quality, ease of use and battery life are priorities.

Budget is £250 max.

The TZ60 is nearly 3 years old already. How significant is that? My instinct is to go for a newer model (the HX80) with I assume newer technology inside. Is this a valid assumption though, is the TZ60 just as good or better even though it’s older?

I was set on the HX80 until I saw a comparison the camera decision website (cant post link as this is my first post) which made me think twice. But then its just one sites review. I’d appreciate any thoughts from experienced users out there, particularly if you have either model.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, id really appreciate some help and advice. I want to buy my Dad a compact camera for Christmas and have narrowed it down to the panasonic TZ60 (US model ZS40). He has done a fair amount of photography in the past with both SLRs and DSLRs but is now getting to an age where he would like the convenience of a compact but one that can produce a good quality picture. I know he is keen on the 30x zoom that both offer, but other than that id say image quality, ease of use and battery life are priorities.

Budget is £250 max.

The TZ60 is nearly 3 years old already. How significant is that? My instinct is to go for a newer model (the HX80) with I assume newer technology inside. Is this a valid assumption though, is the TZ60 just as good or better even though it’s older?

I was set on the HX80 until I saw a comparison the camera decision website (cant post link as this is my first post) which made me think twice. But then its just one sites review. I’d appreciate any thoughts from experienced users out there, particularly if you have either model.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have both the Panasonic TZ35 and the TZ55, only for the video zoom for wildlife in the park. I do not bother taking photos with them, as the image quality is appalling. My old iphone 4s takes better images and video than both my TZ35 and TZ55. Just that both the cameras can zoom in close to the animals and birds, otherwise they are useless.

The Panasonic TZ60, has a very very tiny 1/2.3 sensor, so would struggle to produce a decent image.

If image quality is important, then you really need to be looking at a camera, with a much bigger sensor.

Last edited:
I doubt there is a lot of difference in the images produced between the 2 cameras, but I do prefer the way the Panasonic renders colours.
The main differences though are in the user interface, the Sony just wasn't intuitive for me and the menu layout is diabolical.
As Jon mentioned above, there are limitations to the image quality with the small sensors, if you start pixel peeping and especially at longer focal lengths, the lack of quality is pretty obvious, but for screen size viewing or small prints, I dont think it is too bad considering what is packed into a small package.
I use my TZ60 mainly when out cycling and it serves me very well.

Dont have many pics online, but here are a couple of samples, clicking through to flickr they can be viewed bigger

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HBCoio]High & Dry by Steve Bennett, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HDLWTA]Changing Days by Steve Bennett, on Flickr[/URL]

Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions about the TZ60, I will do my best to answer.

I have a TZ60 as my holiday camera and it's more than capable of taking a decent image. It also has an electronic viewfinder which is usable, if a little small. Battery life takes a hit when used with the GPS but third party ones are cheap enough to buy. In fact I bought an Expro charger and battery pretty cheap because the camera only came with a USB charger which wasn't ideal. But overall it's a decent little camera.

Back