Panic buying started

Ridiculous behaviour, it's not like the shops are shutting and you can't go. This lockdown doesn't mean you can't leave the house without fear of being shot or locked up.

Shows the level of intelligence in some people.

I will still continue to shop as and when I need to keeping myself as safe as possible and following the mask and hand washing guidelines. If I end up with Covid I can only hope I would get through it ok.

Ridiculous behaviour, it's not like the shops are shutting and you can't go. This lockdown doesn't mean you can't leave the house without fear of being shot or locked up.

Shows the level of intelligence in some people.

I will still continue to shop as and when I need to keeping myself as safe as possible and following the mask and hand washing guidelines. If I end up with Covid I can only hope I would get through it ok.

For people of that level of intelligence maybe they should.

If you are directed to by test and trace you *can't* legally leave your home for 2 weeks.... if you can't get food delivered or find anyone to do it for you there isn't much option but to bulk buy before that happens to ensure an extra two weeks of supplies. So when everyone does it the whole supply chain falls over. Or are folk just supposed to carry on going into supermarkets when potentially infectious?

There will be some over buying as there always are but normal people buying in two week supplies because they *might* have to isolate isn't so stupid. It's planning. Supermarkets should have been told in advance so all the things that ran out last time were increased to avoid it happening again.

Until a very few days ago, even those who made the decision to lock down didn't expect to lock down so couldn't tell the supermarkets!

Supermarkets should have been told in advance so all the things that ran out last time were increased to avoid it happening again.

No chance of that, cabinet ministers and backbenchers weren't even told in advance.

If you are directed to by test and trace you *can't* legally leave your home for 2 weeks.... if you can't get food delivered or find anyone to do it for you there isn't much option but to bulk buy before that happens to ensure an extra two weeks of supplies. So when everyone does it the whole supply chain falls over. Or are folk just supposed to carry on going into supermarkets when potentially infectious?

There will be some over buying as there always are but normal people buying in two week supplies because they *might* have to isolate isn't so stupid. It's planning. Supermarkets should have been told in advance so all the things that ran out last time were increased to avoid it happening again.
So how often do you go and do these two weeks' worth of shopping? In any case, the two weeks of self-isolating has been in since this all started so why would you need to do extra shopping now?

I totally agree and that was my approach from the very start.

In January this year, even before the first case was announced in the UK after watching the virus start to spread across the world, I started adding extras to the weekly shop and continued with this approach for the next few weeks......I also ensured that I never let the fuel in my vehicle drop below 3/4 if a tank..As the virus reached the UK and started to spread, I was fully expecting the panic buying that occurred in March, but my main concern was how hard would the virus hit the supply chain..Addef to that, I wanted for my family and to self isolate for two weeks without being a burden on anybody else..

in Wales we have had two weeks of local lockdown and are now halfway through our circuit breaker full lockdown , the fuehrer of Wales stopped ALL supermarkets from selling non essentials i.e Asda/aldi/lidl etc have not been able to sell non food items caused a bit of a stir but its still ongoing .

but I have not seen nor has been reported any panic buying

no one has tried to stop online shopping. Amazon and Ebay have been doing great guns. I have also used AliExpress a few times. some times stock come from china and sometimes from warehouses elsewhere, even the UK. so deliveries can be anything from a day or two to several weeks. I do an on line shop at morrisons every ten days. booking two deliveries in advance.

We get our groceries from Sainsburys click & collect. Until a couple of weeks ago there were two vans at the pick up point. Now there's only one, which makes me wonder if the order volume had dropped. It will be interesting to see if they re-introduce the second van after the new lockdown bites.

We get our groceries from Sainsburys click & collect. Until a couple of weeks ago there were two vans at the pick up point. Now there's only one, which makes me wonder if the order volume had dropped. It will be interesting to see if they re-introduce the second van after the new lockdown bites.
It could be that more people are having it delivered and don't need to go and collect it.

It could be that more people are having it delivered and don't need to go and collect it.
Maybe, there are a lot more free C&C slots available whenever I look. Way back in April it was hard to get a delivery slot so we switched to C&C. The collection point is a refrigerated van in the car park outside the store which is windswept most of the time so pretty safe, a lot safer than mingling in-store. We usually arrange a slot to coincide with our daughter & family so we can say hello face to face (socially distanced).

Just ordered 45 rolls off amazon.... Give me a shout if anyone needs any, I'll be selling them at a reasonable price :exit:

I went shopping last Tuesday and there were quite a few empty shelves at ASDA. IMO things have never quite got back to normal after the last lock down with some items being missing ever since and some being only intermittently available. I'm going tomorrow and will not be deliberately stocking up on anything as we can always change brands and types to cope unless the shelves become very empty.

Tesco yesterday, not my pictures, taken from my community hub FB page.

Opera-Snapshot_2020-11-02_122745_www.facebook.jpg

Can't say I noticed any difference in our local Aldi today. Shelves as full as normal and no additional customers,

Tesco seemed busier than usual for a Monday today. I didn't see any empty shelves though, will see what ASDA is like tomorrow.

Other than that. We queue outside our local paper shop and enter as someone leaves. That's the theory. I was stood outside waiting my turn today when a middle aged woman walked up, straight passed me and into the shop. Why is it always a middle aged women?

Last edited:
Always worth doing a tin eye image search on things that appear on FB.

Anyone needing 36 toilet rolls for 30 days, doesn't need to stockpile, they need a Doctor!!!!
First pack of 12 at normal price, second pack (when bought with first), £25
Let's see who's happy to pay that.

Anyone needing 36 toilet rolls for 30 days, doesn't need to stockpile, they need a Doctor!!!!
Let's see who's happy to pay that.

I think it depends on how many women are in the house. I think they eat the stuff.

I think it depends on how many women are in the house. I think they eat the stuff.
I can put a fresh toilet roll out before I go to work in the morning and it wouldn't be the first time I have had to replace an empty tube when I get home in the afternoon.

If you are directed to by test and trace you *can't* legally leave your home for 2 weeks.... if you can't get food delivered or find anyone to do it for you there isn't much option but to bulk buy before that happens to ensure an extra two weeks of supplies.

I don't think that those who are bulk buying will take any heed of the test and trace, they just want to get their share and yours as well. There is no other description for it but incredibly selfish. How do you know you are going to test positive so by bulk buying is putting an unfair burden on everyone customers and staff alike. As I said totally selfish.

Loads of useable paper there ;)
I think its the Christmas lights that are missing
:D

Given the rubbish and lies that appear on FB, it would not surprise me if those pics weren't from the first lockdown....
It was posted by the local news hound to our community page.
Why would he lie? Plenty of local people shop in that (named) store, he would have soon been "Called out" had it not been true.

I'd say that was still within the range of hoarders I'd add a zero to that!

No problem doing the usual shop today at my local Sainsbury's; the fresh minced beef and frozen oven chip sections looked very sparse, but there was still some left. Apart from that, it looked like business as usual and I didn't have to go home without anything I'd put on my shopping list. :)

Having said that, it turns out that I'd forgotten to put a 6 x Euromillions rollover jackpot, an Aston Martin DB11 and Cara Delevingne on my shopping list. So it looks like my plans for lockdown fun are knackered! :(

Last edited:
The best time to go shopping is first thing in the morning there are very few others about and the shelves are full. Or late evening which I did last night at Durham Sainsburys I think there were no more than 25 people in a large shop and no wait at the checkout. Some shelves were a little bare (Oddly enough the toilet roll section -why on earth toilet rolls!) due to being emptied during the day, but I got everything I wanted apart from one fresh veg and I can get that from a local greengrocers this morning.

Apparently and this was on the local radio a customer at a major ASDA supermarket left with a bill of very close to £900 for items bought that filled 5 large trolley's. I find that an unlikely scenario but some would try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordered 45 rolls off amazon.... Give me a shout if anyone needs any, I'll be selling them at a reasonable price :exit:

Good luck with that, wear rubber gloves when using it. Handle carefully ! it’s see thru and fragile.:p

Good luck with that, wear rubber gloves when using it. Handle carefully ! it’s see thru and fragile.:p

Its 3 ply quilted... Only the best for me on the throne.

We normally buy them in the 24 packs, this 45 roll pack worked out about the same per roll and I didn't have to leave the house purely to buy some as were running out and wont last till next big shop.

We normally buy them in the 24 packs, this 45 roll pack worked out about the same per roll
I have a 6 pack that I bought last week, that'll last me through to next year
(Next year, that's a scary thought)
But non the less I'm going shopping later, and filling a couple of trolleys with them.
Just to stop those greedy hoarding bastids (y)

:D

I went panic buying internal doors yesterday to give me something to do for the next few weeks. Seriously though, builders were panic buying plaster from B&Q.

No idea why as B&Q are staying open as normal ...

Bagged plaster goes off fairly quickly so any customers who get their walls done with older stock (and that's only a few days IIRC!) might not be too happy.

Just got back from the weekly Tesco shop. Heavily depleted stocks of beef mince, pasta, toilet rolls and kitchen roll, bin-bags(?), but all still available.

Back