Panic Buying

In Spring there was a post on our social media from a woman who said she had done a service by buying the last toilet rolls in the supermarket "in case anyone else wanted them" and said anyone needing some should contact her.

So maybe those stockpiling are doing it for everyone else... :p

Last edited:
I am just waiting for the mods to change the classifieds to include a sub section for pasta and loo roll so I can get some of my garage space back :)
I'm not sure there are any rules against it, just put it in the "Non photographic" section (y)
:D

I am just waiting for the mods to change the classifieds to include a sub section for pasta and loo roll so I can get some of my garage space back :)
We have 200,0000 bottles of hand santiser for sale, but we won't be advertising them on here:)

We got most of what we ordered on our click & collect from Sainsburys yesterday, apart from some spaghetti, frozen petit pois and BRUSSEL SPROUTS? Don't tell me people have started hoarding sprouts :exit:

Just got back from Asda with everything on my list including my usual loo rolls which were even on offer this week.

Result!!! :banana:

We got most of what we ordered on our click & collect from Sainsburys yesterday, apart from some spaghetti, frozen petit pois and BRUSSEL SPROUTS? Don't tell me people have started hoarding sprouts :exit:

Don't forget that some grannies will have set them cooking for commercialmas already...

Don't forget that some grannies will have set them cooking for commercialmas already...
Overcooked sprouts are disgusting........ although some would say sprouts in any way are disgusting anyway;). Personally I like them cooked 'al dente' with a bit of onion & bacon......

Anything from (and including) raw to just cooked will do me. ANYTHING is improved by the addition of bacon (well, anything savoury!)

I don't care for pancakes, maple syrup & bacon at the same time....

During WW2 my father in law was in the Royal Signals and was assigned to a Canadian regiment for a while. At breakfast time he used to whip his plate away to avoid his bacon being dolloped with maple syrup...... all the time I knew him he also refused to eat corned beef saying he had eaten a lifetimes worth while in the army........

Our Sainsbury's delivery did not have the Extra mature cheddar just the mature stuff.
How long do I leave it so that it becomes Extra ?

Overcooked sprouts are disgusting........ although some would say sprouts in any way are disgusting anyway;). Personally I like them cooked 'al dente' with a bit of onion & bacon......

How can you say that, be getting my sprouts on soon for Christmas, cabbage too.
Love it when they are almost a puree, are you French?

How can you say that, be getting my sprouts on soon for Christmas, cabbage too.
Love it when they are almost a puree, are you French?
Mais non...... english mongrel, probably with a bit of Norse...... school dinners put me off overcooked sprouts for life. They have to be soft enough to stick a fork in, but not turned to mush.

Mais non...... english mongrel, probably with a bit of Norse...... school dinners put me off overcooked sprouts for life. They have to be soft enough to stick a fork in, but not turned to mush.

I'm not keen on anything that hasn't been well cooked, one of the few people that enjoys the veg at a carvery.
Worse kind of cooking is steaming, second to that is veg from the pressure cooker.
Also needs a decent amount of salt before cooking, bloody awful if you have to add it afterwards.

I'm not keen on anything that hasn't been well cooked, one of the few people that enjoys the veg at a carvery.
Worse kind of cooking is steaming, second to that is veg from the pressure cooker.
Also needs a decent amount of salt before cooking, bloody awful if you have to add it afterwards.
I think I may be towards the other end of the spectrum; I like my veg to have a bit of firmness to them.
Along with overcooked sprouts, I hated the way school used to cook white cabbage almost to mush.

As far as seasoning is concerned, again I prefer a light touch, my wife has high blood pressure & was advised to cut down on her salt intake. We have got used to it over the years,

I remember my mum used a lot more salt in her cooking. My father used to tell a story about the first meal my mum cooked after they were married, it was so salty he could not eat it.

school dinners put me off overcooked sprouts for life. They have to be soft enough to stick a fork in, but not turned to mush.
Come on, how else are school children supposed to enforce social distancing during morning assembly at school?

Feed them mushy sprouts and *Paaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrp*! Instant 2m minimum distance to the nearest sentient being! Sorted! (y)

Last edited:
Come on, how else are school children supposed to enforce social distancing during morning assembly at school?

Feed them mushy sprouts and Paaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrp! Instant 2m minimum distance to the nearest sentient being! Sorted! (y)
I don't remember that happening at school; I do however remember my friends filling each others blazer pockets with gas during science lessons by inserting rubber hose connected to the labs gas taps.

I don't remember that happening at school; I do however remember my friends filling each others blazer pockets with gas during science lessons by inserting rubber hose connected to the labs gas taps.

I remember a mate of mine lighting the gas tap with a lighter when our teacher left the room. The taps faced towards us. Someone shouted the teacher was coming back so he quickly yanked the lever. The wrong way :ROFLMAO: Took his eyebrows off :ROFLMAO: 29 years later & we still laugh about it :)

Anyway, Asda was low on loo rolls & pasta stuff on Friday evening when we went shopping.

I don't remember that happening at school;
I remember it happening once at mine... immediately after the headmaster said the words "Now, let us pray" and total silence fell (perhaps the worst timing possible?). I felt sorry for the poor red-faced kid sitting on his own, cross legged on the wooden floor of the hall, with a ring of cowering but sniggering children in a 'socially distanced' circle around him. Not much chance of denying that one! It's funny looking back now, but poor lad!

Last edited:
Pancakes and maple syrup?

Not a staple here but when I have had that combination, I've poured the syrup over the bacon and pancake so added the sweet to the savoury. :p

one of the few people that enjoys the veg at a carvery.

The carvery we go to (in normal times - way too many students go there to risk it at the moment!), the veg is closer to underdone than over so still has some texture rather than being pappy cack (the origin of the word poppycock).

Over cooked cabbage and overcooked brussles only serve one purpose and this to make bubble and squeak with it (y)

I needed a "big shop" today, following my survival rations the other day.
local Tesco main shop, was all very calm, apart from one or two "ladies" that were using their trolleys and battering rams to get to "stuff" :rolleyes:
FFS! There was absolutely no need all the shelves were stocked, there were a few pallets ( off to one side) piled high with flour and rice.
Can't say that I notice the pasta "aisle" was empty as I walked passed.
The only complaint was my usual bog rolls were only in 24 packs FFS that'll last me for ever !
So I had to buy a similar item, in a 6 pack, that's still half a years supply.

Last edited:
Over cooked cabbage and overcooked brussles only serve one purpose and this to make bubble and squeak with it (y)

I needed a "big shop" today, following my survival rations the other day.
local Tesco main shop, was all very calm, apart from one or two "ladies" that were using their trolleys and battering rams to get to "stuff" :rolleyes:
FFS! There was absolutely no need all the shelves were stocked, there were a few pallets ( off to one side) piled high with flour and rice.
Can't say that I notice the pasta "aisle" was empty as I walked passed.
The only complaint was my usual bog rolls were only in 24 packs FFS that'll last me for ever !
So I had to buy a similar item, in a 6 pack, that's still half a years supply.

Nice bit of bubble is lovely, prefer just cabbage and spuds, no sprouts in mine.
Hate the places that do their poncey versions with all sorts of crap in it.

Nice bit of bubble is lovely, prefer just cabbage and spuds, no sprouts in mine.
It was an either or. Cabbage if I have it, but at a push there are usually frozen sprouts in the freezer (y)
Hate the places that do their poncey versions with all sorts of crap in it.
Totally with you on that one (y)

Did my weekly shop at my local Sainsbury's this evening and had no problem getting everything on my list, the shelves appeared almost as full of stock as they usually are and there weren't too many gaps on the loo paper and kitchen roll shelves either.

Nothing like the first round of panic buying in March this year, which left the place looking like an 1980s apocalypse film set:

49693595996_e43e166be2_b.jpg

I should probably have taken a comparison shot, but life's too short... besides, we have the almost inevitable 'Lockdown before Christmas' to look forward to yet, so plenty of time for that! :whistle:

Last edited:
Back