Panic Buying

@Tigger.ufo will be interested to see what the sushi bar is like, i've tried the to go stuff at Waitrose which is pretty top notch (like the stuff thats prepared daily) in comparison to normal lunch ones.

I walked past on my lunch break and no queue (my aunt had asked me about so i thought the daytime was a better judge than my evening visit) so i assume they are not limiting numbers any more? Most people had masks yesterday, but i think with less people it was hard to get a general feel of usage overall. They didnt have any malted milk biscuits (aaprt from chocolate covered) which i thought was weird! (i am planning on making NZ 'lolly cake')

Spot on re Waitrose. My wife loves sushi . I’ve now developed a taste for it myself through her encouragement ..it’s really good...and when I had trouble with my iMac last year, under gurantee, we had to go several times to the Apple store at Cribbs Causeway..outside Bristol and always arranged to go on Mondays as it was Blue Day at the sushi bar by the store..that meant half-price.

Once a week we drive 9 miles to Waitrose at Stroud..(a) the shop is a delight to shop in and (B) great sushi. In our fridge we have a tray of the salmon ‘rolls;. I enjoy the rice and whatever veg..rolls .with that super hot green paste and soy sauce. Also looking forward to getting back..if it’s possible to look forward to getting back..lol... to Wagamama.

Waitrose ask that just one person of a couple go into the store so I stay in the car and read the paper. Everyone going in wears a mask. I enjoy watching all the 4x4’s, large BMWs..Mercs too. A well-heeled town, is Stroud. Cotswolds. :).

Ordered 48 loo rolls from amazon last night. Nothing to do with panic buying or the virus. Only had 1 roll left in the house and had no plans for leaving my house till Monday. Massive hangover from Friday and there was a deal on, should last till next year :D

Today..no yesterday, now..lol ..we saw that on Amazon Twynings Breakfast tea Bags 100 box was down to £2.68 from £5 so , as with your loo rolls, we have enough to last 12 months. Infact since COVID Morrison’s have it at £6.50. Sainsbury’s had it at £2.68 too but had sold out in store. That offer won’t last long.

Also looking forward to getting back..if it’s possible to look forward to getting back..lol... to Wagamama.

We've been getting click and collect from Waggies for a few weeks now. The restaurant is now open (with screens etc.) but we haven't eaten in yet.

Today..no yesterday, now..lol ..we saw that on Amazon Twynings Breakfast tea Bags 100 box was down to £2.68 from £5 so , as with your loo rolls, we have enough to last 12 months. Infact since COVID Morrison’s have it at £6.50. Sainsbury’s had it at £2.68 too but had sold out in store. That offer won’t last long.

Is that Twinings, John ?

Reason I ask is that I am searching for a variety of tea bags (must be bags and not loose tea) that give a good strong brew.
I have used Scottish Blend for a while, but the results are very variable (ranging from a good brew to tasteless).

I like strong tea and recently tried these, they make an excellent cuppa
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...orkshire-tea-breakfast-brew-x40-tea-bags-125g
I don’t use these but generally find Sainsbury’s own brands good for teas & coffees and their descriptions helpful & accurate. Not sure about teas but they’ve been using the same coffee blending firm for 100 years or so and their own Red label ditto.

I always used to favour Twinings but they’ve changed since the original firm was taken over by a multinational :(.

Is that Twinings, John ?

Reason I ask is that I am searching for a variety of tea bags (must be bags and not loose tea) that give a good strong brew.
I have used Scottish Blend for a while, but the results are very variable (ranging from a good brew to tasteless).

Try Twinings English Strong Breakfast tea. I prefer green tea, but this is good.

I don’t use these but generally find Sainsbury’s own brands good for teas & coffees and their descriptions helpful & accurate. Not sure about teas but they’ve been using the same coffee blending firm for 100 years or so and their own Red label ditto.

I always used to favour Twinings but they’ve changed since the original firm was taken over by a multinational :(.

Hopefully getting our first Sainsburys online shop tomorrow and ordered 3 x Sainsburys loose leaf Darjeeling for £5.25. that is good value at £1.75 each.

Do we reckon flour is going to get in short demand again with the headlines about crap harvest this year and bread prices likely to rise?

Do we reckon flour is going to get in short demand again with the headlines about crap harvest this year and bread prices likely to rise?
I could envisage prices going up (any excuse) anytime soon, with a chance of shortages after January if we don't have a trade deal with the EU & Canada/USA. I believe much of the wheat used in bread making comes from Canada. Who knows what tariffs might apply by then.

Who knows what tariffs might apply by then.

Well these think they do Jacob Rees-Mogg, Michael Gove, Rishi Sunak even Johnson thinks he knows World Trade Organization rules better than they do, so everything will be fine just look at the combined brain power of these people how could it possible not be.

Well these think they do Jacob Rees-Mogg, Michael Gove, Rishi Sunak even Johnson thinks he knows World Trade Organization rules better than they do, so everything will be fine just look at the combined brain power of these people how could it possible not be.
I could imagine them all standing on the bridge of the Titanic as it bore down on the iceberg at speed........

I could imagine them all standing on the bridge of the Titanic as it bore down on the iceberg at speed........
"Captain Captain" Seagull dead ahead" ...
"Go away sonny, I'm not interested in bloody seagulls!"

"I think you should take a look at this one, as its sat on a f*****g great Iceberg"

Unless of course their ‘friend’ Trump is re-elected, since he wants to abolish the WTO :).

Unless of course their ‘friend’ Trump is re-elected, since he wants to abolish the WTO :).

Always a good thing to base your countries economy on the hope that another country will vote in a lunatic and that he will bail you out.

Quite a few bog rolls being bought in Tesco this morning, and one of the papers are saying frozen Turkeys are selling ready for Christmas, wonder if it's starting again in readiness for any new lockdown actions.

I have been steadily buying a few extra of non-perishable things over the last couple of months, in case of a panic buying epidemic like earlier this year because of Covid, or shortages because of no trade deal on 1st Jan. Only things I know we will eat but to give us some reserves should it be necessary. We don't particularly do Xmas so that's not a factor for us. I might stock up on film though a bit more too before the end of the year...

There won't be any shortages, there is plenty of supply available from other countries not affected by our weather. Not sure about the situation a year further down the line, because the harvest is late as well as down, and so drilling for next year's crop is late too.

The bad harvests, Covid, and the end of our Transition period with the EU will affect supplies of some goods, certainly that is until a new norm has been established.

At the present time I do a bulk shop, on line, every tend days. I have learnt from experience that there are a number of lines that go regularly out of stack. I now keep a small stock of these to tide me over these gaps. i do not consider this panic buying. I would buy weekly, but I find I do not need to spend the minimum £40 Supermarket shop every wee, so every ten days works out far better. However that means I am making more Frozen purchases than in the past.

I expect to have to adjust both what I buy and my diet, over the next few months, to fall in line with supply shortages.

Boris and co started the fear mongering media PR campaign II meaning terrible news is just a day or two away. It's probably reasonable to stock up a little on true essentials, and yes flour and some freezer meat is on that list. Toilet paper certainly not so much unless you are planning to s*** yourself out of fear or for whatever else reason :). I think you should have some reserves regardless.

I don't know if I should "panic" and buy a dedicated freezer. The point is you can stack it full lamb when it goes on offer before Christmas, or some fresh roadside deer with big £££ saving down the line.

I don't know if I should "panic" and buy a dedicated freezer. The point is you can stack it full lamb when it goes on offer before Christmas, or some fresh roadside deer with big £££ saving down the line.

Most people I know including myself bough in extra freezer capacity, as I was riding on the minimum. Now I know at least, that I would not go hungry if the food supply ended for eight weeks. however by then I would be p...d of with the diet.

The bad harvests, Covid, and the end of our Transition period with the EU will affect supplies of some goods, certainly that is until a new norm has been established.

At the present time I do a bulk shop, on line, every tend days. I have learnt from experience that there are a number of lines that go regularly out of stack. I now keep a small stock of these to tide me over these gaps. i do not consider this panic buying. I would buy weekly, but I find I do not need to spend the minimum £40 Supermarket shop every wee, so every ten days works out far better. However that means I am making more Frozen purchases than in the past.

I expect to have to adjust both what I buy and my diet, over the next few months, to fall in line with supply shortages.
" spend the minimum £40 Supermarket " May not suit you but Morrison's minimum is £25.

There won't be any shortages, there is plenty of supply available from other countries not affected by our weather. Not sure about the situation a year further down the line, because the harvest is late as well as down, and so drilling for next year's crop is late too.
They said there was no flour shortage but shortage of bagging capacity for small bags. And of course most of the people who retail larger sacks to home bakers are small firms.

Best get a Beers of Europe order in then, got a few cases of everyday beer, but variety is the spice of life.
Majestic Wines have a good stock of Bitburger again, few more cases of that might be handy too

Not really panic buying, just keeping stocks up for the winter when supply might be affected by the weather and s***ty Brexit

Last edited:
I have been steadily buying a few extra of non-perishable things over the last couple of months, in case of a panic buying epidemic like earlier this year because of Covid, or shortages because of no trade deal on 1st Jan. Only things I know we will eat but to give us some reserves should it be necessary. We don't particularly do Xmas so that's not a factor for us. I might stock up on film though a bit more too before the end of the year...
I already had the remains of a "Brexit" store when all this started and I've always kept one or two jars/packets in hand prior to all this.

They said there was no flour shortage but shortage of bagging capacity for small bags. And of course most of the people who retail larger sacks to home bakers are small firms.

There are also some shenanigans happening at the store management level. I think our local Tesco manager decided not order any more "Organic" varieties of flour and spaghetti amongst other things. Other ones have it OK. I'll have to buy a few when I'm out next time.
Oddly I remember from Glasgow days that one Aldi manager must have absolutely hated vegetables. You couldn't find almost any in that store.

There are also some shenanigans happening at the store management level. I think our local Tesco manager decided not order any more "Organic" varieties of flour and spaghetti amongst other things. Other ones have it OK. I'll have to buy a few when I'm out next time.
Oddly I remember from Glasgow days that one Aldi manager must have absolutely hated vegetables. You couldn't find almost any in that store.
I thought the Scots didn't eat vegetables, except maybe neeps ... whatever they are :)

Of course as we all know, the best way to create a shortage is to suggest they may well be one imminent, ( no matter what it is)
and stand back and watch the locust attitude or indeed the hamster mentality of half the population. (y)

Me? I've stocked up on ammo,
1) for getting my own food
2) getting ready for the zombie apocalypse that is probably next on the agenda of 2020.
(y)

:p

WRT 2), I'm developing a taste for brains - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! (The zombie hordes, that is!)

Of course as we all know, the best way to create a shortage is to suggest they may well be one imminent, ( no matter what it is)
and stand back and watch the locust attitude or indeed the hamster mentality of half the population. (y)

Me? I've stocked up on ammo,
1) for getting my own food
2) getting ready for the zombie apocalypse that is probably next on the agenda of 2020.
(y)

:p

I was thinking this very thing when I saw it being reported again. Personally, I think it's highly irresponsible for any media outlet to propagate such a thing, but I would also expect the supermarkets to react much quicker this time round should it start to happen.

WRT 2), I'm developing a taste for brains - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! (The zombie hordes, that is!)
Haven’t seen them on sale for ages. I was raised on rabbit brains -- my grandmother always insisted I had them to “make me brainy” :) .

Haven’t seen them on sale for ages. I was raised on rabbit brains -- my grandmother always insisted I had them to “make me brainy” :) .

Ain't Nans great? My Nan was full of em. :D

Ain't Nans great? My Nan was full of em. :D
Mine used hardly to clean potatoes let alone peel them “all the goodness is in the skin” she’d say much to everyone’s amusement ... turns out she was right! (Though I should add she was a greengrocer‘s wife and my other grandfather was a potato salesman :) )

My gran used to say when fiddling :D with something ------- its like shoving smoke up a cats arse with a knitting needle

My gran used to say when fiddling :D with something ------- its like shoving smoke up a cats arse with a knitting needle
I’m sure she would know :).

The part of an animal you absolutely should not eat is nerve tissue, unless you want to potentially develop a form of CJD.

Back