Panic Buying

I must admit I didn't comment on their posts, but I did search on ebay and you can buy a dozen towelling nappies for £10 delivered. Even cutting up a towel will suffice.

I do wonder about some of the people who post on the local group, I am surprised no one has asked if anyone knows how to change a light bulb. :)
My son in law wouldn't change one as it was a rented property - he would sooner be in the dark and get the landlord to arrange it. Landlord lived abroad so an electrician was called in, who knows how much he charged (no pun intended).

We buy the 24 bog roll packs when they come on offer , its normally enough but have bought an extra pack just in case.
We cant stock up on food as we dont eat much you can store, well and it still taste nice.

And that ladies and gentlemen is where the problem lies.

My wife is 65 ime 71 we will be making fewer trips shopping if your world ends because we bought an extra pack,

Reactions: Nod

That 's not a problem, people buying trolleys full of them that create the problem
I was told of someone today who had stacked them in their garage, only to find mice were having great fun
using them for nest building, so whole pile has been dumped and no doubt they are out restocking

My wife is 65 ime 71 we will be making fewer trips shopping if your world ends because we bought an extra pack,

And how many people are buying an extra pack? They all add up you know. Whether you want to acknowledge the issue or not, people like you are contributing to the problem.

I don't think people buying one extra pack actually constitutes much of a problem. People can buy an extra unit here and there and it makes no difference supermarket supplies. The problem arises when multiple repeated overbuying takes place and/or dodgepots buy in large quantities for resale at another outlet. For as long as I have used supermarkets I recall seeing people load up trolleys solely with bottles of spirits (all cash sales by small shop owners).
I have always bought dog food in bulk (3 months supply at a time). It suited me to do a run and get a major heavy item out of the way for a while. I still buy 3 months supply at time, but get it delivered from a warehouse.
People have learned the hard way that if, during a panic, they behave fairly and buy just the usual amount they are the ones who are left looking at the empty shelves.

Supermarkets have the ability to control purchases. They could have done, but they were greedy as always.

Sometimes I wish I could be so judgemental of others without knowing the full story, that's a lie I don't :D

Better not mention the wife picked up 72 rolls before Christmas, or the 72 cans of pop we picked up today or the 75 cans of Guinness(and there's more coming). Bulk buying because of low prices is not hoarding/panic buying or any other stupid comments.

If we thought panic buying was bad up to now, wait till today’s news sinks in! It’s gonna be war out there tomorrow.

Oh damn I bought 2 big jars of coffee today that was on offer, I;d be unbearable to live with if I ran out :D
So panic buying
Quite a saving, £3 off the normal price per jar

Oh damn I bought 2 big jars of coffee today that was on offer, I;d be unbearable to live with if I ran out :D
So panic buying
Quite a saving, £3 off the normal price per jar

Well ime saying nothing

Got a couple of months' worth of coffee in the cupboard/under the bed - comes direct from Tassimo when they're doing special offers.

If we thought panic buying was bad up to now, wait till today’s news sinks in! It’s gonna be war out there tomorrow.

There was a supermarket worker stabbed here today when he tried to stop panic buying

Last edited:
My son in law wouldn't change one as it was a rented property - he would sooner be in the dark and get the landlord to arrange it. Landlord lived abroad so an electrician was called in, who knows how much he charged (no pun intended).
Ridiculous

I had to have a clause written into my contract to stop exactly that. I'm not paying for a sparky every time a bulb goes

There was a supermarket worker stabbed here today when he tried to stop panic buying
At times the world is a vile place and yet at others so different, it always amazes me when you see people who are close to starving waiting in an orderly queue for handouts, yet in our so called civilized part of the world we are capable of stabbing someone for an extra bog-roll. Doesn't surprise me in the least hordes that Americans are stocking up on guns and ammunition.

Tesco's Bog Roll Aisle last night :rolleyes: :
View attachment 272068

Ours was like that last night, along with hand wash/sanitiser, potatoes, flour, baked beans and other tinned goods, chicken, (though plenty of red meat!), bread and even milk - first time we'd been to a supermarket for about a week. Frankly a ridiculous situation, just hope it improves over next few days,

Things will get better when we early release more prisoners

Local corner shop is working with village butchers and they are giving free local delivery with minimum order of £10. Pretty good I think

Looking at the images of empty shelves in our area I don't think we have any food left, the trouble is folks see the images and that makes things worse

Well, that's one way to get around the Ocado virtual queue, I just used Alexa to add items.

Edit not working its on a closed group

Last edited:
As above @Marc
Shame though it was funny as hell

My sister just messaged me to say she just got back from food shopping, but the shelves were bare. She did manage to get a bar of soap, seems everyone wants the liquid soap.
She was quite surprised to be challenged for buying more than one pack of bin bags.

I need a few bits on the way home from work, pet food mostly so hope people aren't that desperate for tinned meat.

Back