Panners runners - for feedback

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've not done this but suspect that 1/30th is a bit slow to get it sharp without plenty of practice. :)

They may not be sharp but I actually like them. A nice feeling of movement.

Some good images, I do like No 3 and 4. I imagine that the runners body moving up and down during the stride as well as along is going to make it very tricky.

It's practically impossible to have them completely sharp at slow shutter speeds because the runners' heads will be moving in several different directions at once. These look fine to me though, number three is great - good timing on the stride and strong expression.

Only thing I'd say is that it looks like you're over-sharpening, or dialling the clarity up really high in an attempt to make them appear sharper. It's a bit overdone and making them look very 'digital'.

I would say you've got it just about right. They are sharp where they need to be - on the runners facial expressions. The rest of the movement is all good.

Many thanks for all the replies - I'll try dialling back the clarity :)

I like 'em just as they are. As has been said - true sharpness is impossible at that low speed with so much movement, but you've done really well (IMHO) and it doesn't detract for me. Nice story too. The lass in #3 looks like she's working so hard but your winner looks like he's out for a stroll. Nice contrast.

Depends what they are for.

I like them. If they were pics of me then I'd buy them because they are leagues ahead of regular running pics. But they aren't of me because these are clearly elite (or certainly very good amateur) runners - and they never buy stuff. Though obviously the girl in #3 is somebody much further down the pack racing her fastest. She's the person who would buy these.

I have no idea whether they would be suitable for press use as they really aren't sharp but some website will publish any old stuff - possibly because they don't pay.

But keep it up. I like them. If you can shoot like this for the enthusiasts in the pack they will love you for it - especially for the air time.

Thank you for the encouragement and the helpful tips. Much appreciated.

Back