Paparazzi? Flash? Correct exposure?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone care to bring light to this matter. I've just seen the news with various actors and actresses on. Scenes of them getting photo shots from press. Some of these are getting hundreds of flashes from every one getting their shot. How come with this much light and variety of light they can get shots with good exposure when they have 0 control over the others flash strength. Timing etc...?

I'd guess that it comes down to the extremely short amount of time that a modern flash burst lasts and the clever electronics of the cameras with TTL flash and TTL exposure control making sure that everything works out alright.

As above, there’s every chance they’ll occasionally get someone else’s flash in shot, but they take dozens of shots so even at a 0.001% chance it’s not enough to make a big difference to their total output.

I remember a case when someone took a picture illuminated by some one else's flash and it made the front page.
Flash durations are so short that it is very rarely a problem.

What can be a problem when using slave or radio flash is for them to be set off by other cameras and flashes. This was even more problematic when slave flash used optical sensors.

Using someone else's flash can work quite well, but more often than not it's a fluke (like this one):

People-012.jpg

Using someone else's flash can work quite well, but more often than not it's a fluke (like this one):

<snip>

Especially when your own flash doesn't fire.

Guess - you're on the same channel as the other guy, but your flash has just fired and isn't recycled?

I got one from the other side with the togs flash firing in the shot... see if I can find it to post

Back of Simon Baker's head at 1/1250th....

on Flickr

Back