Parrot

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
Went for a wander to the local bird type place today and got some great shots - not had time to process them all yet, but this is one of my favourites so far:

Parrot.jpg

Any suggestions for improvement greatly welcomed :)

How about a red-eye warning, or have a pair of shades at the ready;)

Thats bright - looks good though, detail is great except for the bottom left, but thats not surprising considering the focus point.

Great shot - would suggest a frame though:thumb:

minimeeze said:
Frame added :)

Good to see someone has no problems with frames !?! :thumb:

And a great shot to boot - lovely focus and real brilliance to the colours !

Agree - the frame definately looks good on a great shot:)

I'm not suggesting that it is but it does look very bright. Was it really that red?

Great shot none the less.

SammyC said:
I'm not suggesting that it is but it does look very bright. Was it really that red?

Great shot none the less.

I haven't done anything at all to the colours. Other than a teeny crop down the left hand side, and exposure adjustment, this is literally what came out of the camera

I like it. Don't mind the bottom corner being out of focus - gives it depth.

I think this is a great shot,
well composed and good detail where it needs to be,

i first thought it was too bright, but then i went and sat on the sofa while the pic was still up on the screen, and when i glanced over to the pc i thought ...wow... it looks 10x better from the proper distance ( not sat right against the screen ) , the levels are just right

i wouldnt change anything,

deffo a pic to print of and get framed

top marx

MyPix

very cool, love the colours, fantastic!

Rog you still having issues with your frames?

Nice shot Cheryl. I wondered if it was over-saturated, but I know some of these exotic birds can display incredible colours. I just did an auto colour balance for sunlight - I don't know if this is more as you remember it? It's a cool shot either way. :)

Parrot_001.jpg

Sorry, but I prefer the full colour version. I remember one of these things escaping from a zoo and perching in a tree at school - their colours really ARE that vivid. Well done, Cheryl - lovely shot.

Cracking shot & the red frames the picture perfectly to the left . Well done that lady :) !!

Great shot and love the colour, my friend has an african grey and i know how hard it is to get a decent photo of it especially without it tellling me to get stuffed lol.

Just play it the Monthy Pyhton sketch .....it might take a hint ;)

Nice - prefer the full-fat version, though those borders could do with some work... something a little subtler maybe? Like this?

Parrot2.jpg

Better...or not? It's your photo after all...

Much better with that white frame. :thumb:

Yeah, the white frame looks great. Cracking photo mini, the colours are amazing!

Thanks for all your positive and encouraging comments :)

Wasn't sure about the white frame initially, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

I think the white balance is off Mini, that's what may be the issue. If you compare yours to CTs you'll see that yours starts to look a little green (strangely).

CTs does look a little washed out now though lol!

Ok, to illustrate what I mean I've set the colour balance to what I think looks correct (but probably isn't):

Yours:
Parrot.jpg

Mine:
Parrot.jpg

See how everything seems to be a bit too green? I'm not saying I've got it correct but you get the point! lol

:)

SammyC said:
See how everything seems to be a bit too green? I'm not saying I've got it correct but you get the point! lol

:)

yes, i see what you mean, and I have to agree that yours does look better, minus the green. However, the green effect I think is probably due to the trees in the background.

Minimeeze,
Must say I like the original best. The scratches on the parrot's beak look more natural somehow. Also, very nicely cropped, more striking than just having the whole head of the bird in the frame.
Also, I do like the large white border...looks good enough to put on the wall !
Rich

Really good composition and Arkady's subtle processing and frame has really brought it to life. Great shot!

Had to have a play :-

- Amended levels for RED only....brought back some detail
- Selected around eye & increased saturation plus added cheeky catchlight
- Selected around white of face & then inversed selection. Increased Shadows to bring out more detail agin in red feathers.

Think Arkady's size of border is best suited, but kept mine small so peeps could see detail in feathers for comparison.

Parrot_001.jpg

RickMezza said:
Minimeeze,
Must say I like the original best. The scratches on the parrot's beak look more natural somehow. Also, very nicely cropped, more striking than just having the whole head of the bird in the frame.
Also, I do like the large white border...looks good enough to put on the wall !
Rich

The only cropping I did was about a 1cm strip from the left hand side :p

...did I say "cropped"...I meant "perfectly framed in camera":p

minimeeze said:
yes, i see what you mean, and I have to agree that yours does look better, minus the green. However, the green effect I think is probably due to the trees in the background.

Well that's what probably caused the camera to get the white balance wrong, but the green is also present in the black parts of the beak and around the eye which is why I am sure its a white balance issue rather than optical illusion.

As other have said, it's a great shot and worth getting right otherwise you'll always be looking at it thinking 'Is it green?' lol ;)

It looks like light reflected off a green surface (green netting perhaps). Setting a camera Pre-set wouldn't account for it, only a custom setting.
But since you're shooting RAW, you can adjust not only the colour temp but hue as well in the RAW stage.

Back