Partially sighted

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
Do we have any partially sighted photographers amongst us that actively post threads and when I say partially sighted I dont mean long or short sighted, if so let me know (y)

so no one else here partially sighted apart from me, I am blind in my left eye and have 55% vision in my right eye and still love photography

Nope, I'm just short sighted, sorry.

Dangermouse - I hope you don't mind me pressing this further...

When you say you're blind in one eye and 55% in the other, what exactly do you see - IE is the 55% correctable, or is it dark/out of focus?

How do you get on with photography? Do you have to make any mods to your kit (like extra lenses over the eyepiece)?

Like I say - apologies if it's not something you want to discuss... or feel free to PM me :)

I lost 20% vision in my right eye about a year ago due to a branched retinal vein occulsion from undiagnosed hereditary hypertension. Now a left eye shooter and take 4 tablets a day as a result :eek:

Learning to shoot with the other eye is not easy so everyone get your blood pressure checked (y)

Hi OutLore I have no hangups so dont be apologetic mate my 55% is adeqate for my driving licence and me using a camera .... so as for making mods to my D200 no i just set dioptre to bottom and I can see what the camera sees and yes I still close my left eye when focussing lol

I had a case of optic neuritis in my right eye 15 years ago which means the centre vision in that eye is blurred. My right eye compensates so that, as long as my left eye is open, I don't get any blurring. I don't have any problems driving, it just means I have to use my left eye for photography.

My eyes don't focus together, so I primarily use my right eye to "see", the bonus is I can keep my left eye open when taking pics :)

Cheers DM I was only enquiring as I have someone in my family who loves his photography and I am not sure his eyesight will stay with him forever.

It's an interesting question regarding closing the other eye when focusing - I do that, but I've seen people who dont....

I can move my eyes independently of each other, which is kinda odd looking. It's pretty rare for an adult to be able to do it (babies can as they're brains are not yet coded to continuously make both eyes do the same thing) - but my sister can do it too...

Last edited:
I don't have any problems with eyesight myself, other than a recent need to use reading glasses, but I do have a question in response to several posts already here - why do people make a point of saying they now have to use their left eye? I have always been a left eyed tog and for the last two years can do it with right eye open or closed, but not with it at the viewfinder, that has to be my left eye...is this left eye'dness unusual or something? :shrug:

I don't have any problems with eyesight myself, other than a recent need to use reading glasses, but I do have a question in response to several posts already here - why do people make a point of saying they now have to use their left eye? I have always been a left eyed tog and for the last two years can do it with right eye open or closed, but not with it at the viewfinder, that has to be my left eye...is this left eye'dness unusual or something? :shrug:

It's sinister, that's what it is ;)

I only mentioned it because I used to use my right eye at the viewfinder but I don't know whether it's more common either way. :shrug:

Last month I sold my Nikon D50 to a man who had some problems with his eyes. He could only see things that are up to 20cm away from him.
He told me that he uses the camera as binocular and with the Nikon D50 he was travelling a lot and also takes thousands of pictures. That was quite impressive for me.

I had an operation for an astigmatism when I was two, wonky eyes, my right eye is weak and always has been, luckily my left eye is pretty good.

the downside is as I get older they get worse and I now need varifocals, because of the prescription I have to have the thinnest lenses or it's like looking through the bottom of a jam jar, £400 a time.

I bought some glasses from goggles4u but when they came my wife laughed her head off , I don't think the technology for my prescription has reached Pakistan yet, fantastic customer service though, they apologised, refunded all my money and didn't ask for the specs back.

It just means you are left eye dominant..

When i was in the army there were quite a few people that fired their weapon left handed because of it.. but when the SA80 came in they couldn't as you can only fire it right handed.. must be a real pain adjusting as its quite an over powering urge to use the dominant eye..

I was severely short sighted a few years ago, i went to see Optimax and im fine now.. (y)

Cheers DM I was only enquiring as I have someone in my family who loves his photography and I am not sure his eyesight will stay with him forever.

It's an interesting question regarding closing the other eye when focusing - I do that, but I've seen people who dont....

I can move my eyes independently of each other, which is kinda odd looking. It's pretty rare for an adult to be able to do it (babies can as they're brains are not yet coded to continuously make both eyes do the same thing) - but my sister can do it too...

Funny this but I close my left eye when focussing even though I cant see anything out of it :shrug:

It just means you are left eye dominant..

When i was in the army there were quite a few people that fired their weapon left handed because of it.. but when the SA80 came in they couldn't as you can only fire it right handed.. must be a real pain adjusting as its quite an over powering urge to use the dominant eye..

I was severely short sighted a few years ago, i went to see Optimax and im fine now.. (y)

(y) its true, if I try looking through the viewfinder with my right eye, I get an almost double view, even if I close my left eye - something I find very difficult to do too btw, I can wink with it but not hold it closed for anything more than a second of two without the muscles going into spasm.

Your weird!!

;) Lets see how long THAT eye stays closed.. :LOL:

Hi, Blind in the left eye, due to car accident 27 years ago. Now need glasses to read. When I look at comparison photographs in the mags I really struggle to see any difference in them. I think this is due to weak right eye. Oh well
Richard

Back