Party island photography

Name
Joshua
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm going to be working abroad this summer at one of the 'party' destinations and want to take my camera along with me!

I'm a student so don't really have the best equipment and probably won't get a job in photography, most likely one of those annoying PR guys or bar work, but I thought I'd take my stuff and try get some shots for my website/portfolio atleast. I only really have experience in sports photography, namely boxing.

So, my question is, do you guys have any general tips and what equipment should I invest in?

I have a Canon 550d with a 18-55 IS kit lens and a nifty fifty. I also have a budget flash which I'll have to check what model it actually is but it's safe to assume its not much good, not had the chance to use it properly though.

I'm thinking the 50mm won't be wide enough for indoor group shots and tbh I think the quality of the kit lens is more than adequate for this type of photography, people just want to see themselves having fun! It should be wide enough too right?

Sounds like a fair bit of fun :)

There is a really good thread on here about nightclub photography and how to get started :) well worth a check its quite old now but still great stuff!! just search nightclub or some such term im sure it will pop up :)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes? :D

Sounds to me like the perfect location for the Fuji x100
Fixed lens 23mm equiv to 35 mm on ff
The x100 is has excellent build quality and even better image quality
Handles high iso better than most things
The tiny built in flash is stunning for fill in

Having such a small camera will be perfect for what you need
It's small size means it will fit in most pockets
It's light on your shoulder
All this means your far more likely to take it everywhere you go unlike the dslr which will prob be left behind more

I traded my canon 1d mk11n for the x100
It's my only camera and I don't regret the trade one bit

Chris

Back