Paul Weller 2015 World Tour (with Steve Cradock)

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I was lucky enough to get a pass to shoot Paul Weller this weekend in Manchester on his current world tour. Ive never shot gigs before and I'm a pretty big fan of Weller's work - especially in his Jam days - so to say i was nervous and excited at the same time is a bit of an understatement - any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.

23.jpg

11.jpg

21.jpg

41.jpg

Nice well rendered set Ja,
I would maybe tweak the WB of #3
as the others are quite ok!
— Strange crop on #1 and
dead centre composition on all!

— Strange crop on #1 and

Thank you good Sir - I will look in to that. Thanks for your kind comments

I have done some concert photography in my time and I always have a problem trying to work out what the best pose/position for a photo is - wide open mouth or an 'action' shot or something else - mind you as a normal punter I also don't get to choose the angles much/at all. With that in mind, I really like the shot that you have captured in shot number 3. Also, great musician and performer - what a treat for you.

I have done some concert photography in my time and I always have a problem trying to work out what the best pose/position for a photo is - wide open mouth or an 'action' shot or something else - mind you as a normal punter I also don't get to choose the angles much/at all. With that in mind, I really like the shot that you have captured in shot number 3. Also, great musician and performer - what a treat for you.

Thanks Raphael - like I said it was my first gig to and to get to shoot someone like Paul Weller to pop my cheery was probably foolish on my behalf but having said that - i researched as much as I could - looked what other people were doing and to top things of - i had teh whole pit to myself... 3 songs past by in the blink on an eye!!

Thanks for looking more images are on my site:

http://www.irafusha.com/gallery/paul-weller/

Crikey, he's aged...
I enjoyed his style and music in jam too.
Good work on the captures
No3 gives me flashbacks to his (to me) best days.
A tweak on the WB as suggested and it's the recognisable fella, - would be a great image to promote the tour.

thanks Paul!

When people are saying correct the WB on image #3 - which way are we going on this? feel free to have an edit

cheers

J

Nice variety in the set, all of which I like. Been to see the great man a few times over the years but never the opportunity you had. I'm very jealous but it looks like you enjoyed it

A good set. A really good set for a first time.
Well done on getting the pass. I do loads of this kind of stuff, folk ,rock, jazz, blues, orchestral the lot. Only two artists have turned me down...Joe Brown and Paul Weller.

Wow - thanks for your kind words Graham ! It means a lot to be complimented by someone as experienced as your self. thanks again. I want to do more to be fair - i was really nervous before hand but by the time he was on stage i was in the game and didnt have tome to mess about - loved it.

Im booked to do the Inspiral Carpets in a few weeks and working on getting in to a couple more "High Profile" gigs - do you shoot for yoru self or is it normally for publications?

— Strange crop on #1 and

A good set. A really good set for a first time.
Well done on getting the pass. I do loads of this kind of stuff, folk ,rock, jazz, blues, orchestral the lot. Only two artists have turned me down...Joe Brown and Paul Weller.

Crikey, he's aged...
I enjoyed his style and music in jam too.
Good work on the captures
No3 gives me flashbacks to his (to me) best days.
A tweak on the WB as suggested and it's the recognisable fella, - would be a great image to promote the tour.

So i had a little play with the WB... ?

1.jpg

Crikey, he's aged...

I think we all have...since 1975!

thanks Paul!

When people are saying correct the WB on image #3 - which way are we going on this? feel free to have an edit

cheers
J

Looks perfect to me. Look at the grey material covering the amp: that looks neutral, or neutral enough that it doesn't matter . Any cast is probably the lighting, which is part of the image.

Would love to be able to shoot a band like this. How do you go about getting a pass?

I think we all have...since 1975!

Looks perfect to me. Look at the grey material covering the amp: that looks neutral, or neutral enough that it doesn't matter . Any cast is probably the lighting, which is part of the image.

Would love to be able to shoot a band like this. How do you go about getting a pass?

Cheers J,

Getting the pass was a long drawn out affair to be honest - and included some wired stalking type research in terms of finding the right people to call/email - less said about that the better! ha ha... I didnt really know what i was doing in the beginning to be honest so i was just calling anyone and everyone who i thought may be able to help out or point me in the right direction. One call led to another so on and so forth - the list is endless but never the less paid off. if anything i think persistence and general annoyance got me the pass ha ha

Cheers J,

Getting the pass was a long drawn out affair to be honest - and included some wired stalking type research in terms of finding the right people to call/email - less said about that the better! ha ha... I didnt really know what i was doing in the beginning to be honest so i was just calling anyone and everyone who i thought may be able to help out or point me in the right direction. One call led to another so on and so forth - the list is endless but never the less paid off. if anything i think persistence and general annoyance got me the pass ha ha

LOL - well good on you for persevering. The only time I asked a venue if I could take some photos was about 15 years ago and it was so tiny (about 50 in the audience), that they seemed genuinely puzzled why anyone would bother taking a photo of their acts. I think the guy just went, "What? Oh, yes, whatever you want"!

LOL - well good on you for persevering. The only time I asked a venue if I could take some photos was about 15 years ago and it was so tiny (about 50 in the audience), that they seemed genuinely puzzled why anyone would bother taking a photo of their acts. I think the guy just went, "What? Oh, yes, whatever you want"!

You may be able to help me with something actually J. Ive just been booked to do another show (a 90's indie band - quite a big name in the manchester area) their manager is asking me how much to charge if the band want to use the images - Where to start right? I always find pricing difficult - have you had experience in this? I would imaging the images are to be used for Social Media purposes.

Cheers in advance

You may be able to help me with something actually J. Ive just been booked to do another show (a 90's indie band - quite a big name in the manchester area) their manager is asking me how much to charge if the band want to use the images - Where to start right? I always find pricing difficult - have you had experience in this? I would imaging the images are to be used for Social Media purposes.

Cheers in advance

Sorry, I'm not a pro. I was just taking a few snaps as I liked the band. Pricing these things is always a nightmare and usually comes down to a balance between how much they want you and how much you want the job. In other words, if the experience you gain from it is extremely valuable (for your portfolio, further opportunities etc.) then consider lowering the price, but I'm sure you realise that already. In your original post you mentioned it was your first gig shoot, so you may want to offer to do it for the price of a ticket + beer this time, on the understanding that the manager help you out to get other opportunities and that those will be paid work. Band managers always have a ton of great connections, so their phone number could be a ticket to lots of future work. Having said that, I've been asked to do work on spec (different industry) a lot over the years and have learned from experience to always refuse it. It cheapens the value of your work and that of others, so proceed with extreme caution.

Thanks for that J, yeah it was my first time doing this type of stuff but like others im sure, i personally fond pricing a pain in the back side ha! Well Ive offered todo the gig for free anyway - it was just on the use of images there after. I think im shooting the support band too which is another 90's indie/britpop heavyweight so im happy as Larry! ha! thanks again for your input!

It sounds as though you've got off to a flying start what with the "Wellerpass" and now a band actually inquiring about costs!
I work on behalf of a couple of magazines as well as my local council entertainment and promotions dept. I get the occasional commission from the council but generally photo's are taken "On spec." ie at my expense in the hope of getting a sale later.
Magazines generally don't pay for pictures as they expect the band/artist to supply them free of charge in return for the publicity they are going to get. So the only option is to sell them to the band in the form of licensing. They usually want them for promotion purposes ie flyers, posters, press releases and so on. The details of the license would reflect that or whatever you had agreed to. If they are required for more than that, eg merchandise (Tshirts, mugs or anything destined for sale) then the price would reflect this. I always put a time limit on the license usually 12 months as any longer than that and the pics will be likely to be out of date anyway.
Any specific questions, fire away and I'll help if I can.

As an aside. I also photograph quite a few comedians, your usual Mock the Week type and they are WAY better payers than musicians, in that they expect to pay and, in my experience far more professional.
Loads of stuff on my Flickr pages if you want to have a poke around. :)

It sounds as though you've got off to a flying start what with the "Wellerpass" and now a band actually inquiring about costs!
I work on behalf of a couple of magazines as well as my local council entertainment and promotions dept. I get the occasional commission from the council but generally photo's are taken "On spec." ie at my expense in the hope of getting a sale later.
Magazines generally don't pay for pictures as they expect the band/artist to supply them free of charge in return for the publicity they are going to get. So the only option is to sell them to the band in the form of licensing. They usually want them for promotion purposes ie flyers, posters, press releases and so on. The details of the license would reflect that or whatever you had agreed to. If they are required for more than that, eg merchandise (Tshirts, mugs or anything destined for sale) then the price would reflect this. I always put a time limit on the license usually 12 months as any longer than that and the pics will be likely to be out of date anyway.

As an aside. I also photograph quite a few comedians, your usual Mock the Week type and they are WAY better payers than musicians, in that they expect to pay and, in my experience far more professional.

Thanks for that graham - some good insight there. I think moving forward on this occasion ill just fire a couple of questions of and see where we go from there - I've spoke to their manager on the phone and he seems like a nice chap tbh. Im just happy to get the gigs to be fair ha ha. Ill have a look around on your flickr mate - no doubt ill fire some questions over too ha! cheers

J

Thanks for that J, yeah it was my first time doing this type of stuff but like others im sure, i personally fond pricing a pain in the back side ha! Well Ive offered todo the gig for free anyway - it was just on the use of images there after. I think im shooting the support band too which is another 90's indie/britpop heavyweight so im happy as Larry! ha! thanks again for your input!

Nice one. Looking forward to seeing some of the photos on here :)

A Couple of Steve Craddock (Ocean Colour Scene)

cradock-4.jpg

2, (ill probably end up cloning the drummer out of this one) - the more i look at it the better i think it will be that way
cradock-8.jpg

2.jpg

So i had a little play with the WB... ?

And IMO you've now lost a bit of atmosphere. Instead of what it probably looked more like on the night , you've now got the more clinical "anal photographer" look to it.

But WTF. That top #2 is one seriously good gig picture :clap:

And IMO you've now lost a bit of atmosphere. Instead of what it probably looked more like on the night , you've now got the more clinical "anal photographer" look to it.

But WTF. That top #2 is one seriously good gig picture :clap:

Thanks Dan - bring it on, its what I need.... here's the excuses - the Manchester Area stage is about 7ft and the space between the stage and the railing keeping the crowd back is about 6ft (maybe more) so its literally up the nose shots... maybe next time i should take something wider than 24mm - Food for thought. Thanks mate

J

#1 and #2 are REALLY REALLY good. Very atmospheric and clear well focused shots. I think the WB is ok, but what is throwing it (imo of course!) is the fact that the overall scene is yellow compared to the blue/purple hues of the others. As a set i don't think i would include it although as a photograph there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Well done for getting the shots Jason.

Love em all.WB don't matter to me it's a concert i'd expect wacky colours. Then again i'm no photographer so best listen to those that are :)
Well done.

Gaz

A great set of images from the gig shoot. No worries about colours balances here as its hard funky lighting that make shooting concerts a real challenge at times.

Great job with these! I do some concert shooting and you've done marvellously well with all these shots. Ya, screw the white balance. When the stage lights turn blue or red or yellow, what are you going to do? Let the stage lights set the atmosphere of the shot and the show.
A friend of mine is absolutely in love with Paul Weller, i mustn't show him these or he'll go green with envy.

#1 and #2 are REALLY REALLY good. Very atmospheric and clear well focused shots. I think the WB is ok, but what is throwing it (imo of course!) is the fact that the overall scene is yellow compared to the blue/purple hues of the others. As a set i don't think i would include it although as a photograph there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Thanks David - very much appreciated.

Love em all.WB don't matter to me it's a concert i'd expect wacky colours. Then again i'm no photographer so best listen to those that are :)
Well done.

Gaz

Thank you all - your feedback and comments are very much welcomed. especially as it was my first gig. thanks all :)

Back