weekly Paul's Infrared TP 52 for 2021: Week 19 to 23 Added!

Im behind now by 2 and just needed to take half an hour out today to refocus, forget about work and other life stresses and do some nice simple photography.

Been there, done that... Hope the photography worked?!

Nice image with lovely tones - I hope to do something similar next week... But probably not in infra red... I've been bad at commenting, but I'm loving your project this year - very inspirational!

Last edited:
Plain and simple Paul. It works well (y)

Good to see you are continuing with this I don't do infrared photography so always interesting to see

I'm liking your IR work, thinking of getting into it myself.

I'm liking your IR work, thinking of getting into it myself.

Honestly mate, do it, get on ebay and get a cheap already converted camera to go with the lenses you already have. Do a bit of googling to see which sort of IR pics you have a particular liking for, find out what wave length (nm) and back to ebay.

So, up early on a Sunday and there was another side of Stewartby Brickworks needed exploring and given the recent rain I thought there would be loads of big puddles to get some high grain harsh reflections. I was dissappointed so below is the best reflection I could get sadly. I think I'll go back another time and do a better job.

This is a 3 shot vertorama (never did one of these before) but certainly was appropriate for such a tall structure so I'm pretty happy all in all as a practice shot even though it just about meets the theme of reflection. :)

Also, I took several other shots round the site and if anyone wants to see them I've put them in an album separately on flickr which you can access here https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUPT8yU

Week 9 - Reflection
by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Very nice Paul.

That's tidy!

It is a reflection, that's enough for the theme, and the shot works well as it is.

Really like this Paul. I actually think "reflection" is a great title as it's not immediately obvious. The way the puddle blends into the concrete so you can barely see it works really well.

I think my eyes must be confused though because it looks like the chimney is leaning to the right a little, as does the horizon on the right hand edge of the image. Almost looks like everything is twisting to the right. Probably my confusion :)

Really like this Paul. I actually think "reflection" is a great title as it's not immediately obvious. The way the puddle blends into the concrete so you can barely see it works really well.

I think my eyes must be confused though because it looks like the chimney is leaning to the right a little, as does the horizon on the right hand edge of the image. Almost looks like everything is twisting to the right. Probably my confusion :)

No you're right, it's a bit on the lopsided which I put down to the vertorama. Basically as I took 3 vertical shots in portrait mode it's left it too narrow and given it a very wide effect. Next time I do one I should take it in landscape mode and do 2 vertical rows of 3 or perhaps 4, then when merging it would give a lot more room and allow for more distortion correction.

Super interesting image. I do see something distorted about it, but well done on the first-time vertorama. And distorted is not always a bad thing. ;)

I couldn't see it at first, and then realised when I scrolled down. Well spotted and captured. It works well for the theme. Really nice processing too.

I've not heard of a vertorama before. Did you hand hold it or use a tripod?

I've not heard of a vertorama before. Did you hand hold it or use a tripod?

This was handheld which is acceptable, if you have time etc a tripods ideal but when you're doing a bit of urban exploration and trying to be stealthy a tripods a no no :)

I like that a lot Paul (y)

There's so much character in that, and the mono really emphasises it. Definitely rough!

Liking your 52 so far Paul. I enjoy a bit of IR and yours are excellent. It especially works for landscapes. Having said that, your shot for Pair is simply stunning. I look forward to more (an maybe getting my 720nm filter out again...). (y)

That's a really cool scooter! Definitely one to photo document before you sell it - especially if it has memories.

Liking your 52 so far Paul. I enjoy a bit of IR and yours are excellent. It especially works for landscapes. Having said that, your shot for Pair is simply stunning. I look forward to more (an maybe getting my 720nm filter out again...). (y)

Thank you mate, Im really enjoying the IR thing, hardly picked up my normal camera at all! Landscape is what I enjoy about it the most and admit that was what I mainly wanted it for but definitely enjoying the challenge of using it for themes you normally wouldn't.

That's a really cool scooter! Definitely one to photo document before you sell it - especially if it has memories.

Thanks mate, it's been good to me over the years, did Land's End to John O'Groats on it in 2006, technically did it twice as had to do home - Land's End - John O'Groats and home again, all in the space of a week! Great times - https://www.thepilgrimssc.co.uk/lands-end-to-john-ogroats-2006/ if you're interested lol.

Rough
It's a fantastic story telling image with lots of detail to pore over. I don't know if being positioned higher and shooting downwards slightly to get the mirror under the fence line would add to it

Rough
It's a fantastic story telling image with lots of detail to pore over. I don't know if being positioned higher and shooting downwards slightly to get the mirror under the fence line would add to it
yes possibly, have to admit it really was just a snap so I didn't put a lot of effort into it lol. Ideally I should take it somewhere and reshoot but its not even insured at the moment.

yes possibly, have to admit it really was just a snap so I didn't put a lot of effort into it lol. Ideally I should take it somewhere and reshoot but its not even insured at the moment.

Apart from what Stuart said, the fence seems to fit rather well, having a similar worn, faded appearance.

I would be tempted to keep it and watch it deteriorate it would make a brilliant series of pictures
although a little wasteful

I would be tempted to keep it and watch it deteriorate it would make a brilliant series of pictures
although a little wasteful

Just a bit, I should get about £3000 plus when I do sell it so that can go toward some other nice toys :)

So, still playing catchup here's my Week 12 shot, Alive.

Week 12 - Alive

It's a bit of quick shot due to location and not wanting to be caught to be honest but I like the life within the decay if that makes sense.
Shot on a Panasonic G3 converted for infrared photography, processed in Lightroom and Silver Efex.

Week 12's theme is Alive and this is a shot from a recent explore of Stewartby Brickworks where all sorts of stuffs been abandoned including several pairs of workboots and yet life still persists with these weeds and ferns attempting to exist in the debri.

For me I'm not sure it works too well in monochrome, do you have a colour version?

For me I'm not sure it works too well in monochrome, do you have a colour version?

Possibly somewhere in my UE photos I have a similar shot but don't forget I am stuck with monochrome for this project. Thats one of the challenges as it's in infrared.

It is very busy in IR as the tones are close together. But it suits the theme for alive.

Pete

Possibly somewhere in my UE photos I have a similar shot but don't forget I am stuck with monochrome for this project. Thats one of the challenges as it's in infrared.

Its very difficult. In colour the ‘green’ would have shouted ‘alive’ but in mono the leaves are nearer to what we expect for dead leaves :(. But it fits the theme within the contraints.

So, I had actually taken a shot for smooth then completely forgotton about it and posting it. So here it is!

A take on a common shot but wanting to use some natural light from the patio doors to cast a smooth diffuse shadow to one side too. Hope you like.

Shot on a Panasonic G3 converted for infrared photography, processed in Lightroom and Silver Efex.

Week 11 - Smooth

Week 13 now I've starting catching up is of course Easter!

Graveyards are a mine of pnotography opportunities especially for black and white shots so thinking of the Easter theme and obviously the crucifixion this immediately popped into my head.
This gravestone with celtic design stood out and with the background of the other gravestones and the young trees against a cloudless sky it just seemed to suit the infrared.

Week 13 - Easter

Back