Paypal

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
That's it !! I will only use Paypal if I have no other alternative for payment and only on small value items ! Credit card from now on !

They have had a refund to me "pending" for 4 days now !

From PayPal Customer Service -

Pending:
There are a few reasons why your refund might be pending, such as:
  • The refund was sent to an email address that isn't confirmed. A PayPal payment cannot clear until the email address is confirmed on the recipient's PayPal account.
  • The payment was sent to the wrong email address.
  • Banking delays are delaying the refund. Banking delays can sometimes delay refunds by up to 7 working days.

If a payment was sent from a card, the payment will be refunded back to that card. Depending on your card issuer, it may take up to 30 days for the refund to complete. If a payment was sent from a bank account or PayPal balance, the payment will be refunded back to the PayPal account.

Mine took 7 days.

I just sold an item for 200£ on ebay. Ebay will charge me its usual 10% but i just got paypal charging me 8£ too. I've not add the time to look further into it but I thought the paypasl bit was free of charge... I was obviously wrong?

I just sold an item for 200£ on ebay. Ebay will charge me its usual 10% but i just got paypal charging me 8£ too. I've not add the time to look further into it but I thought the paypasl bit was free of charge... I was obviously wrong?
And what makes this worse is eBay own PayPal

As afar as I know PayPal have always charged a fee on transactions (especially eBay transactions) unless the payment is sent to you as a PayPal Gift payment

As afar as I know PayPal have always charged a fee on transactions (especially eBay transactions) unless the payment is sent to you as a PayPal Gift payment

Charge unless a gift. Paypal always charge when you sell through ebay. Most sales through TP forum payment is sent as PPG so no charge to the seller but no protection for the seller. TP sales run on trust,ebay/paypal gives buyer and seller some protection which seller pays about 14% for

No Paypal and Ebay are independent now. I have always liked Paypal, yes they do charge quite high fees but they are secure.
That's good to know, not that the charges have changed.

No Paypal and Ebay are independent now. I have always liked Paypal, yes they do charge quite high fees but they are secure.

Please define "secure", 100% secure or 100% secure in your experience ? You do not have to look very far for horrendous customer experiences with Paypal. Are they all exaggerating or lying ?

I have had a ' bad experience' with ebay and consequently Paypal and they are unequivocally the worst company I have experienced in my 60+ years.

I'm no fan of PayPal, but (as others have mentioned above), it's important to understand the delays in the system.

Remember when banks used to hold onto your money under the guise of cheque clearing times? Well, they're not allowed to do that any more but what they do still do is delay refunds back onto credit and debit cards. This make the banks a bit of money each time as they have someone else's cash to gamble, er I mean invest, for a few days. It typically takes 3-5 days to receive a refund from the point at which that refund is initiated.

I'm not making this up. The co I work for handles cc payments so I know how it all works. It's also been confirmed by a customer of ours who was formerly employed by one of the major banks.

Paypal have always played fast and loose with the exchange rates but they're getting a bit silly now. I just made a purchase in dollars that should convert to about £21.50, Paypal are taking £24.80 off me which is a good 15% on top.

Paypal have always played fast and loose with the exchange rates but they're getting a bit silly now. I just made a purchase in dollars that should convert to about £21.50, Paypal are taking £24.80 off me which is a good 15% on top.

That could also include your non sterling transaction fee which is what your card company charges rather than just the exchange rate.

Nope, payments to PP come directly from the bank account (i know that's not the safest bet but I've had no issues so far). It's PP fees and their own exchange rate which is never as low as the 'official' one at the best of times.

Get yourself a Halifax Clarity card.

No foreign exchange fees and no charges for using it abroad unless you withdraw cash. Even then, it's interest only, so you can top up to reduce the interest. All foreign currency conversions are at wholesale rates so it's relatively 'cheap' to use for cash withdrawals.

Get yourself a Halifax Clarity card.

No foreign exchange fees and no charges for using it abroad unless you withdraw cash. Even then, it's interest only, so you can top up to reduce the interest. All foreign currency conversions are at wholesale rates so it's relatively 'cheap' to use for cash withdrawals.

+1, have used this before, excellent option when travelling.

@Galaxy66 Did you get it sorted eventually?

Yes it took a further 3 days making it a total of 7 days before it was back in my hands.

Yeh, same as mine. Seems to be the standard time.
Glad you got it sorted mate!

Paypal are branching out of just being a payment processor, they've just offered me a credit facility with a fairly high credit limit. Anything I buy using the credit facility that costs more than £150 is interest free for 4 months.

Back