PC Andrew Harper murder trial halted

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
It would seem, according to the early news today, that the trial of Henry Long, 18, of Mortimer, Reading, and two 17-year-old boys accused of murdering PC Harper
has been halted as two of the three are now in "self isolation"
Forgive me but FFS this sets a dangerous precedent. Go commit a crime and go into self isolation.
I feel for his family, they may never get justice over this.

PC Andrew Harper was killed when he got caught in a towing strap, trailing behind a car trying to evade him.

More
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-51834826

Just reading about that, but I read it was 3 Jury members, not the accused.

Stuart
You can't trust the early BBC news in that case. ( or any other for that matter ;) )
. Its a real shame nonetheless. If it is the Jurors, I hope the trial will still go ahead, sometime in the near future

I would not want to be confined on a jury at the moment... no chance of keeping a distance.
They will have to shut down the courts for a while . or have Judge only hearings.

or have Judge only hearings.
I think "we" need to do something like that, otherwise the lawless will be ruling the country if they can keep getting away with crime, petty or otherwise, like the afore mentioned.

Perhaps hold them on bail in the same cell(s) as the yobs that coughed in the faces of that older couple from that other news report!

Its definitely the jurors that are self isolating. It will be rescheduled probably in the near future, assuming we don't all die.

Its definitely the jurors that are self isolating. It will be rescheduled probably in the near future, assuming we don't all die.
Thanks for clearing that up ( Bloody BBC eh? ;) ) Steve (y)

I heard that we were suspending all trials by jury, as the jurors had to sit too close to each other.
Ducking stools worked well in the 1700 - 1800's sometimes the old ways are the best (y)

I was up for jury duty next Monday but all jury duties have been cancelled unless the court case has already started. All ongoing cases were to continue until completed but this case has been postponed.

Perhaps hold them on bail in the same cell(s) as the yobs that coughed in the faces of that older couple from that other news report!
Nice to see innocent until proven guilty still remains the cornerstone of our judiciary system.
In this particular case I should have like to have seen them "driven" to court in the same manner they drove that poor policemen to his awful death.

Nice to see innocent until proven guilty still remains the cornerstone of our judiciary system.
In this particular case I should have like to have seen them "driven" to court in the same manner they drove that poor policemen to his awful death.

And you are right, I was making a judgemental statement on how the accused (in the case of the 'coughing in the faces of the elderly couple') could/should be handled......................though in the case of PC Harper.............though even if/when the accused in that case are found guilty, such treatment as you describe would be like a return to the dark ages ~ would it not ;)

But when they were arrested, they were in the car that dragged the PC to his death.
They still deserve to be tried properly and found guilty, then the appropriate punishment should be meted out (if not by the judge then by prison inmates)

.though in the case of PC Harper.............though even if/when the accused in that case are found guilty, such treatment as you describe would be like a return to the dark ages ~ would it not ;)
And the problem with that? Eye for an Eye and all that. Vengence is mine ......., dont see it as vengence, just a similar mode of transport

But when they were arrested, they were in the car that dragged the PC to his death.
They were arrested by the police who are not unbiassed here. It is not unkown for the police to provide evidence to ensure that an innocent person who the police 'know' to be guilty gets convivcted. I am not saying that is the case here, but the evidence needs to be examined in court by both the prosecution and defence before it is taken as accurate. The court will probably want a bit more than just sitting in a car as well. Until then, they are innocent!

They were arrested by the police who are not unbiassed here. It is not unkown for the police to provide evidence to ensure that an innocent person who the police 'know' to be guilty gets convivcted. I am not saying that is the case here, but the evidence needs to be examined in court by both the prosecution and defence before it is taken as accurate. The court will probably want a bit more than just sitting in a car as well. Until then, they are innocent!

I know they have to look at it all, but when found guilty still life them off (y)

Until then, they are innocent!
Whenever I see this sort of discussion I remember a one time neighbour of ours who was a solicitor with a substantial criminal practice. During a chat in our local he made an interesting if depressing comment to me: "far, far more people are outside of prison who should be inside than are inside prison but should be outside".

Whenever I see this sort of discussion I remember a one time neighbour of ours who was a solicitor with a substantial criminal practice. During a chat in our local he made an interesting if depressing comment to me: "far, far more people are outside of prison who should be inside than are inside prison but should be outside".
Then the system needs to be corrected, or prosecuting solicitors (or is it Lawyers/Barristers?) need to do a better job, unfortunately I guess rich criminals can afford to pay more and therefore possibly attract less than morally upright solicitors/lawyers/barristers who claim to be upholding the law when in fact all they are doing is justifying their dubious ways.

Then the system needs to be corrected, or prosecuting solicitors (or is it Lawyers/Barristers?) need to do a better job, unfortunately I guess rich criminals can afford to pay more and therefore possibly attract less than morally upright solicitors/lawyers/barristers who claim to be upholding the law when in fact all they are doing is justifying their dubious ways.

Controversial but with perhaps nuggets of truth/vested and/or self interest of some of the parties you mention.......??? Though IMO the UK justice system is streets ahead of oh so many countries I would not like to be either a victim and/or the accused in!

In regard to "money speaking" in a country which likes to & should be seen as a pillar of justice, sadly I think the USA has that "issue" !!!

PS NB I wonder where the term Ambulance Chaser (in regard lawyers et al) i.e. only in it for the money to be gained came from???

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, it was first used in 1897 as a derogatory name for some lawyers.

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, it was first used in 1897 as a derogatory name for some lawyers.

Interesting.......................and was this in the UK?

Back