PC anywhere type progs

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
As there are some computer literate type here...

Any recommendations for a remote control type program? I want to operate my desktop pc from this laptop remotely from within my lan - not over the internet. I have an old copy of PC anywhere somewhere but I'd prefer not to use a Norton product.

I'll google and pick a freeware one if there are no recommendations.

thanks

Realvnc.

Have you tried using remote desktop supplied with Windows ?

On the desktop : Right click on my computer, click on properties, click on remote, click in the box on Remote Desktop, allow users to remotely connect to this computer.

Then

On the laptop : Start - Run - Type in the box MSTSC

Type in the name or ip address of the desktop it should open a window with the desktop of the pc on it. You will have to log into it normally.

You can always use Terminal Services or Remote Desktop otherwise as mentioned RealVNC.

Std Netmeeting, rolled out with all Windows (look for conf.exe in XP onwards) . Just needs IP address to call & have receipient setup to have Netmeeting running, & automatically accepting calls

Terminal Services (RDP) is the best I've used but is only present if the host is WinXP Professional or MediaCenter. VNC is OK for occasional use but is far slower that RDP, I've not got much experience of other alternatives.

Desktop is xp pro. Laptop is home.

I used a something vnc at work on a wired lan a few years ago and found it slow - which is why I thought I'd ask if there is a preferred version.

I have the desktop on wired and laptop on wireless through a router.

I knew there were built in things in xp but I have never tried any of them.
Assume netmeeting or remote desktop would be invisible to the internet due to router firewall if I tried that?

Host is the controlled machine or controlling ?

Let me make one thing perfectly clear - Remote Desktop/Terminal Services/RealVNC/NetMeeting are NOT secure when used directly across the internet.

If I was sitting on my PC sniffing packets (actually I would probably be running the packet sniffer on someone else's machine to avoid being caught) I could easily capture enough data to give me:

• your machine's IP address
  • your password
  • any other data that is sent between host machine and the remote desktop machine

All of the apps mentioned here use unsecured (ie plain text) modes of authentication and no form of data encryption.

UltraVNC is the exception http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/ as you can download a plugin to create an SSL (secure socket layer) tunnel between the host and the remote. More info from http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/features/encryption.html

The other apps are fine to use if you are able to setup a VPN tunnel, but if you are trying to access your home machine from your place of work it is likely that your network admin may not allow VPN tunnels out of your network.

If you are intending to open up your home PC for remote desktop, VNC etc etc for god's sake change the default port! Even 8 year old kids can reel off a list of commonly used ports for these apps and anyone running a port scanner will pick it up in seconds. On top of that you need to harden the host machine by setting a secure password of between 10 and 14 alphanumeric characters, plus plenty more besides...(sorry I'm tired and I CBA to type much more tonight)

PCAnywhere also offers encryption out of the box, but you have to pay for that....

One other thing - if you open up any router or firewall to allow traffic in to your home PC, then this will make your machine visible to EVERYONE on the internet - unless your firewall or router is good enough to permit traffic from single hosts on the internet (ie your work PC or work firewall source address).

<edit> LOL sorry, if it's within your own home LAN then disregard what I've written above. I'd still recommend UltraVNC as it's free and it also supports file transfers

RobertP said:
As there are some computer literate type here...

Any recommendations for a remote control type program? I want to operate my desktop pc from this laptop remotely from within my lan - not over the internet. I have an old copy of PC anywhere somewhere but I'd prefer not to use a Norton product.

I thought he said LAN only.

:)

Owls advice may not have been relevant here but it looks like very good advice if you were wanting to do the home PC controlled from work thing.

So if I don't open any ports on the router the windows std thing is secure enough and the reccommended choice?

Yep, if you going to do the remote over the internet RDP theres a whole minefield of problems right there ! security security security !

As long as you keep the router secure they shouldnt be able to get into the lan no :)

I have used Windows Remote Desktop in the past and it worked well over a LAN. I also tried VNC for a while to but found it no better or worse.

Back