PC boot problem

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Over the last few months my AMD 2700 PC is having an issue. It started with a random set of pink squares going across the screen. Then a few weeks later the same thing happened again. Now in the last few days it has not been able to boot up properly. It will, but will boot up until it tried to load windows (so it's going through the bios) then will it'll cycle 3 times and I'll get a blue screen with this message.
PXL_20221101_175603709.jpg
My curser will wipe away the random lines on the screen.
If I click restart the PC will reboot and send to work, but will sometimes still have random squares going across the screen.
This video shows what I mean about squares (this was during boot up)
View: https://youtu.be/9LaZ4624l1U

I did a health check on the SSD using crystaldiskinfo which said the disk is 96% good.
Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Last edited:
Are you using an onboard Graphics card, if not and have a pic one removes that and try the inbuilt one. Also make sure you have a clone of your SSD.

Are you using an onboard Graphics card, if not and have a pic one removes that and try the inbuilt one. Also make sure you have a clone of your SSD.
I'm afraid there's no on board graphics on the CPU, I will swap out the GPU with an old one that I know works (well it did when I took it out of my old PC).

I'm afraid there's no on board graphics on the CPU, I will swap out the GPU with an old one that I know works (well it did when I took it out of my old PC).
Yes worth a try to rule out a GPU issue.

If you have more than one stick of ram it could be worth trying one stick at a time to eliminate any faulty sticks.

That's not going to fix what is most probably a hardware issue.
how do you actually know it is a hardware problem? you are just guessing. That programe posted is not the usual run of the mill fault finding type you may have come across. if you have not tried it don't knock it. I don't make aimless suggestions only ones that might help and solve the issue the OP has

Last edited:
how do you actually know it is a hardware problem? you are just guessing. That programe posted is not the usual run of the mill fault finding type you may have come across. if you have not tried it don't knock it. I don't make aimless suggestions only ones that might help and solve the issue the OP has
Maybe but as somebody who has been in the IT industry since the late 1980's with many, many years of experience diagnosing issues like this, let's just assume that it's a well educated guess. The display is corrupt well before Windows loads.

The software that you are suggesting does nothing more then clean up old temporary files and registry entries.

Last edited:
It does a lot more than that if you have the full program and got me out of problems several times

Last edited:
Maybe but as somebody who has been in the IT industry since the late 1980's with many, many years of experience diagnosing issues like this, let's just assume that it's a well educated guess. The display is corrupt well before Windows loads.

The software that you are suggesting does nothing more then clean up old temporary files and registry entries.

I have to agree, plus the checks suggested so far are quicker and more likely to find a solution.
Better than a well educated guess, being based on long experience!

In the photo of the squares, it looks like it has fallen back to ZX81 mode, so maybe pulling the power plug out the back and putting it back may cure it :)

It is less likely to be a memory issue as it does not have an onboard graphics card, but still possible, so it is still worth removing the memory, vacuuming and reseating it with some "wiggles" as suggested.

Last edited:
I have to agree, plus the checks suggested so far are quicker and more likely to find a solution.
Better than a well educated guess, being based on long experience!

In the photo of the squares, it looks like it has fallen back to ZX81 mode, so maybe pulling the power plug out the back and putting it back may cure it :)

It is less likely to be a memory issue as it does not have an onboard graphics card, but still possible, so it is still worth removing the memory, vacuuming and reseating it with some "wiggles" as suggested.

I thought vacuuming could create static that may be dangerous to some components?

I thought vacuuming could create static that may be dangerous to some components?
Yes it could, but I have always had the habit of not touching the connectors on a board or memory, and I always hold the chassis of the PC with one hand before working on, ie removing or replacing anything.
I have also worked a lot in the past on CMOS devices, and never yet had a problem, and have been vacuuming PCs since 1983, and non-pcs (Tandy etc.) before that.

Components are generally OK once installed in the circuit.

I do the same with cameras (but Canons often seem to attack me with the flash capacitor, they are specially designed so that you touch them before you have chance to discharge them:) )

I had this exact issue back in the summer where my graphics card crashed hard this caused Windows 10 to crash and the ungraceful reboot corrupted the boot partition of my windows SSD. I confirmed it was the graphics card by booting the PC with a Hirens live USB & ran GPUZ

I replaced the GPU but the boot partition could not be repaired, so I restored from a backup and now all is well

First off, I'd like to thank you all for your replies and help.
So today I removed the GPU, gave it a blow out (there was minimal dust). I moved the RAM from slots A1-B1 to A2-B2 (not that I think that'll make any difference). I didn't remove the CPU fan/heatsink, as I don't have any thermal paste.
My PC sits on top of my desk and there is minimal dust or carpet, pet fluff (wooden floors and no pets upstairs).
I downloaded GPUz and also a GPU stress test. I ran the stress test with no issues. Temps were about 68°c and it's the first time I've seen the GPU fans kick in (I don't do anything GPU intensive on my PC, so it rarely goes above 55-60°c) so at least I know the fans do actually work.
I turned the PC on and all is fine, but as this seems to be an intermittent problem I'll have to wait and see. I didn't swap the GPU out for my very old (but known to work) one, I'll do that if the problem reappears.

I had this exact issue back in the summer where my graphics card crashed hard this caused Windows 10 to crash and the ungraceful reboot corrupted the boot partition of my windows SSD. I confirmed it was the graphics card by booting the PC with a Hirens live USB & ran GPUZ

I replaced the GPU but the boot partition could not be repaired, so I restored from a backup and now all is well
Thanks for this info, it could well come in very handy.
I had/have a feeling it could well be the GPU, but don't really want to believe it is (it could start to get quite expensive
:().

Back