PC build for photoshop CS6 & Colour Calibration

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
I am building a new PC specifically for photo editing in Photoshop CS6 for my daughter and myself, I am an amateur photographer and my is talking photography in College.

I have a £1100 to £1200 budget for everything and I thought I had everything sorted out regarding what I had to buy, then I saw something regarding calibration when I was looking at the monitors.

The spec for the build is below

CM Storm Enforcer Case with Coolermaster 650W GX PSU £110
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Socket 1155 Motherboad £96
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Socket 1155 £247
EVGA GTX 650 SuperClocked 1024MB GPU £92
Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Performance RAM £61
OCZ 256GB Vertex 4 SSD - Solid State Drive £160
WD 2TB Green Desktop Drive £75
Arctic Silver 5 Silver Thermal Compound Thermal paste £6
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless-N450 PCIe Adapter £30
memory card external USB 3.0 £15
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 from ebay £18.50
Windows 8 upgrade £25
Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS Widescreen LED Monitor £210
TOTAL £1145.50

So as you can see I am pretty much at my budget, if I need a calibration kit which as far as I can see are nearly as much as the monitor.

I guess my question is and excuse my ignorance here, but why aren't the monitors already calibrated, and how do I do I calibrate my monitor on the cheap, as I don't want to have to buy a £120 monitor and then pay the same again for a calibration kit which I am likely to use for 5 mins.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
How about going AMD. Would save some money on the processor and the new 8 core Piledriver is a very good chip and very good in Photoshop.

AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz £150

Given that you are on a tight budget, I wonder if your system is slightly over-specified in any respects? For example, I use an i5 processor with 8GB RAM, and no solid state drive, and I routinely have Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS2, Faststone Image Viewer, Firefox and Thunderbird up at the same time, and pop back and forth between them, and performance is fine. I do have a quite powerful graphics card - although not necessarily more powerful than the one you have specified, which I'm not familiar with – but I don't know that it is particularly relevant for these applications, more so for the games I play and, quite possibly, for my (occasional) use of AutoPano Pro.

I am interested in your £25 upgrade from Windows XP to 8. I'm seeing that as £45 at Amazon uk. Could you say where you are going to buy it from?

Opinions vary on hardware screen calibration. I'm sure others will differ (strongly), but my take on it is that is probably possible to get quite close (and for my purposes close enough) without using calibration hardware. It can be quite tedious to do though. (I don't have a calibrator, yet, but I probably will get one with my next screen. I'm not convinced it would be worth it with my current screen.) Given your budget constraints, before buying a hardware calibrator I would look at resources such as these:

Test charts and some explanatatory material (some almost incomprehensible, to me at least)

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ The most taxing of the visual calibration test image sets that I have come across.
http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/2point2.htm
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html (Probably skip straight to section headed Gamma and black level chart.)

A gamma-setting utility

http://quickgamma.de/indexen.html I use this and find it very helpful.

Explanatory material

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/gamma-correction.htm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/monitor-calibration.htm

Calibration hardware is about £75 and you will need to do it more than once... seems a shame to spend all that cash and scrimp on getting the colours right...

Just an idea... Forget the soild state drive? Then when you can afford just add it after as you can leave everything as it is?

Given that you are on a tight budget, I wonder if your system is slightly over-specified in any respects? For example, I use an i5 processor with 8GB RAM, and no solid state drive, and I routinely have Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS2, Faststone Image Viewer, Firefox and Thunderbird up at the same time, and pop back and forth between them, and performance is fine. I do have a quite powerful graphics card - although not necessarily more powerful than the one you have specified, which I'm not familiar with – but I don't know that it is particularly relevant for these applications, more so for the games I play and, quite possibly, for my (occasional) use of AutoPano Pro.

I am interested in your £25 upgrade from Windows XP to 8. I'm seeing that as £45 at Amazon uk. Could you say where you are going to buy it from?

Opinions vary on hardware screen calibration. I'm sure others will differ (strongly), but my take on it is that is probably possible to get quite close (and for my purposes close enough) without using calibration hardware. It can be quite tedious to do though. (I don't have a calibrator, yet, but I probably will get one with my next screen. I'm not convinced it would be worth it with my current screen.) Given your budget constraints, before buying a hardware calibrator I would look at resources such as these:

Test charts and some explanatatory material (some almost incomprehensible, to me at least)

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ The most taxing of the visual calibration test image sets that I have come across.
http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/2point2.htm
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html (Probably skip straight to section headed Gamma and black level chart.)

A gamma-setting utility

http://quickgamma.de/indexen.html I use this and find it very helpful.

Explanatory material

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/gamma-correction.htm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/monitor-calibration.htm

Thanks Nick, I will take a look at those links.

Windows 8 upgrade is available at £25 direct from Microsoft as a download. The £45 price is just if you want a disk, but you can create you own discs from the download.

If you want to ensure you get the 64bit version, you have to download it twice. The first time when you buy it from from the PC your upgrading, so if this is a 32 bit windows version (which mine will be), the download will be the 32 bit version. You need to download it again on a 64 bit machine using the link in the email you get when you buy it, which will give you the 64 bit version. Then you just reinstall the 64 bit, it is all legit, just Microsoft over simplifying the process. If your upgrading from a 64 bit version of windows, then the first download will be a 64 bit version.

heres the link to the 24.99 download

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ntent=mcCpg39D&WT.source=google&WT.medium=cpc

Last edited:
Calibration hardware is about £75 and you will need to do it more than once... seems a shame to spend all that cash and scrimp on getting the colours right...

Hi

How often will it need to be done, and I am interest in this price, can you let me know which one is available for £75, as the ones recommended all come up in excess of £120.

How about going AMD. Would save some money on the processor and the new 8 core Piledriver is a very good chip and very good in Photoshop.

AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz £150

Thanks Gary, I will take a look at that, will that mean I need to change the motherboard as well or just the processor?

Last edited:
Holy hell, this is massively over spec'd!

Let's put this into perspective, at work I'm working with images from PhaseOne 60 and 80 backs. And processing hundreds if not sometimes thousands of those per day.

My machine there has 4gb of ram, no SSD, a 2.4ghz quad core (pre i5/i7, though all new machines are i5's) and it's perfectly fast for the use! there's really no need to spend so much.

Go down to an i5, for what you're doing the i7 isn't really worth the money.

Windows 8 is £44.99 online at PC world. Why go through the pain of upgrading XP for the sake of £1.50?

Getting colours right is the most crucial point of a photography machine, I'd sacrifice performance for that any day.

Last edited:
Windows 8 upgrade is available at £25 direct from Microsoft as a download. The £45 price is just if you want a disk, but you can create you own discs from the download.

That'll do nicely.

If your upgrading from a 64 bit version of windows, then the first download will be a 64 bit version.

I'm running 64-bit Win 7 so I can take the straightforward route.

I'd prefer to run 8 in a virtual machine, at least to start with. I'm going to contact MS to find out what the licencing situation is for that.

Thanks. That is very helpful.

Let's put this into perspective, at work I'm working with images from PhaseOne 60 and 80 backs. And processing hundreds if not sometimes thousands of those per day.

My machine there has 4gb of ram, no SSD, a 2.4ghz quad core (pre i5/i7, though all new machines are i5's) and it's perfectly fast for the use! there's really no need to spend so much.

Windows 8 is £44.99 online at PC world. Why go through the pain of upgrading XP for the sake of £1.50?

Getting colours right is the most crucial point of a photography machine, I'd sacrifice performance for that any day.

Adam

I searched all over the net for PC builds to run Photoshop, and every one had the I7, I currently have duel core pentium, and that is a dog when trying to load and process my 7D photo's and it is very frustrating which is why I wanted a fast PC,

The 44.99 win 8 in PC world is just an upgrade, so it saves me a fair bit.

and agree that I need to get the colours right, but I don't want to compromise on performance.

How about this?

Totals just a smidge over a grand. Have given you a nice 27" IPS screen, a 120gig ssd for a fast boot drive and 2 gig of storage.
Oh and Windows 7 cause 8 gives you nothing more and I think its total crap.
The only thing I would add to it would be a decent cooler

Last edited:
Thanks Gary, that gives me a lot to think about.

I am not sure about the monitor though, as 27" is a little to big for the space I have available, 24" is about as big as I can go unfortunately.

I am going to take a look at the motherboard and processor now.

Is a 120gb ssd faster to boot windows and PS than a 256gb ssd?

Do NOT scrimp on the monitor or calibration hardware. The monitor is the ONE and ONLY thing in your computer that actually can affect the quality of your images, and you sit there staring at it for hours on end. It amazes me how people often treat the monitor as an after thought.

Do NOT get the monitor in gary996's post. It's an OK screen when calibrated, but build quality is shocking and the stand really wobbly. It also uses white LEDs instead of decent high gamut CCFL backlighting. Save more, or drop something else less important and the Dell U2711, or even sacrifice some screen real estate and get your original suggestion of the U2412.. although that also uses white LEDs rather than decent back lighting, but is a much better panel. A MUCH better, and cheaper panel is the Dell U2410. That's a killer panel.

Start with the monitor, and a decent colorimeter, such as the XRite Display1 Pro, THEN see how much you have left for the rest of the machine, and buy accordingly.

Unless you are consistently working with massive multi-layered TIFFs in excess of 200MB, or doing any serious 1080P video editing you will NOT need a massively powerful computer to use Photoshop.

remember one thing.. the quality of your display directly affects the quality of the images you produce, whereas nothing else in the system does.

One more thing.. unless you want to play games as well, you do not need a powerful GPU to run Photoshop.

Windows 8 is highly irritating by the way... have you used it? I upgraded, and took it off within 2 hours and went back to Win7. No start menu, forces you to use the annoying metro interface, even simple things like shutting down your machine becomes a pain in the ass. It's great for touch screen or mobile devices but makes zero sense for a desktop machine. You can get third party apps that make it behave like Win7, but you know what? I have an app that allows me to use my computer like Win7... it's called Win7.

Last edited:
Hi

How often will it need to be done, and I am interest in this price, can you let me know which one is available for £75, as the ones recommended all come up in excess of £120.

you should calibrate every 2 weeks, but I do it about every month
if you have friends who are into photography you could share the cost of the calibration device

+1
I use a 2.4ghz macbook pro with no ssd and 4gb ram and I too am a professional photographer- funny that pro's always have the worst out of date kit where as my dentist has a 1dx and a brand new imac...

Adam

I searched all over the net for PC builds to run Photoshop, and every one had the I7, I currently have duel core pentium, and that is a dog when trying to load and process my 7D photo's and it is very frustrating which is why I wanted a fast PC,

The 44.99 win 8 in PC world is just an upgrade, so it saves me a fair bit.

and agree that I need to get the colours right, but I don't want to compromise on performance.

because on 'hardware' forums you have to have i7 to be taken seriously

i5 2500k is a great chip for the price, maybe the AMD is good too but from what i've read the i52500k is on par for performance with the 8core amd, and the i7 2600k is better still, and then the ivy bridge i7's are even better still
i'd get a 2600k and maybe get ivy bridge further down the line, they're both compatible with the same board too

you can also forgo 8gb of ram in favour of the SSD- when you have an SSD it doesn't matter so much if you run out of RAM and dip into the page file as the SSD is so fast

8gb ram is plenty anyway

Using a SSD as a page file is still nowhere near as fast as using a decent amount of memory... plus, constant writing to SSDs is not good for them, especially as TRIM and garbage collection will not have time to do any housekeeping, and as a result performance can drop off rapidly if you are constantly hammering a SSD with large writes.

8GB is NOT a lot, and RAM is cheap... go for 16GB... it's the sweet spot for CS6.

James above is spot on, and a dual core pentium isn't nearly enough so I can understand your current computer isn't making you happy. You don't need to over spend here.

On my laptop, which is a 1.6ghz i7 with 4GB, Lightroom, CaptureOne and Photoshop run fine, PhaseOne IQ80 files are a bit of a hog for it, but upgrading to an SSD will help as it's just reading & writing them that takes a while.

Stick with the 16gb of ram though, at that price you're not saving much by buying less.

Basically, listen to David. And not the 'mines bigger than yours' morons. (y)

Last edited:
It's an OK screen... average springs to mind. Terrible stand ergonomics though. A friend has one and I've used it several times now and although it's big... I've not been particularly impressed with it. He bought it because it's cheap, and to be honest, it shows.

I'd say you're better off with a smaller, higher quality screen like the U2410 if that's the top end of your budget.

save some money, swap the i7 for an i5. you wont notice the difference unless youre encoding video or other tasks that utilise large amounts of hypertheading.

forget the windows 8 upgrade. oh and dont buy software from ebay, most of it is not genuine. its not worth the risk unless its a reputable vendor.

you could downsize the SSD to a 128, youll easily get your OS and programs on that. the samsung 830 is £80. likewise the graphics card you can downsize, you wont need anything majorly special for a single 24".

I have looked at the AMD's, and don't like the lack of USB 3.0 ports on the motherboards, and I keep seeing that AMD are pulling out of the CPU market, so I will give that a miss.

So if I keep my original spec with the inclusion of a XRite Display1 Pro £158 from WEX, and just change the CPU down to an i5 3570 which is only £163.

This will only take me £20 over budget, but will the diff between the i5 and i7 be noticeable when opening and processing files, or are we just talking fractions of a second difference.

We don't do much video editing, just family holiday stuff. So its just Photoshop really, with not too many layers. My kids are doing Graphics GCSE level, and the other is taking Photography in college, so not sure how they will use it.

I have looked at the AMD's, and don't like the lack of USB 3.0 ports on the motherboards, and I keep seeing that AMD are pulling out of the CPU market, so I will give that a miss.

So if I keep my original spec with the inclusion of a XRite Display1 Pro £158 from WEX, and just change the CPU down to an i5 3570 which is only £163.

This will only take me £20 over budget, but will the diff between the i5 and i7 be noticeable when opening and processing files, or are we just talking fractions of a second difference.

None. Opening files is almost entirely down to your hard drive speed anyway, and processing? nah, none detectable by humans.

save some money, swap the i7 for an i5. you wont notice the difference unless youre encoding video or other tasks that utilise large amounts of hypertheading.

forget the windows 8 upgrade. oh and dont buy software from ebay, most of it is not genuine. its not worth the risk unless its a reputable vendor.

you could downsize the SSD to a 128, youll easily get your OS and programs on that. the samsung 830 is £80. likewise the graphics card you can downsize, you wont need anything majorly special for a single 24".

I found this on line about GPU's and PS CS6, which gives some benchmarks.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161

I found this on line about GPU's and PS CS6, which gives some benchmarks.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161

the key bit to look at is acceleration in "certain features" such as (quote Adobe) "Liquify, Warp, Lighting Effects, and the Oil Paint filter".

unless youre doing a lot of those supported actions a fast GPU isnt going to make much difference at all.

for photoshop id concentrate on a good cpu (the i5), good amount of memory (16gb) and ssd (if you do end up overflowing and scratching to disk).

Last edited:
Using a SSD as a page file is still nowhere near as fast as using a decent amount of memory... plus, constant writing to SSDs is not good for them, especially as TRIM and garbage collection will not have time to do any housekeeping, and as a result performance can drop off rapidly if you are constantly hammering a SSD with large writes.

8GB is NOT a lot, and RAM is cheap... go for 16GB... it's the sweet spot for CS6.

yes RAM is faster, but he's on a budget and if he needs to trim it then some sacrifices need to be made

how fast does he need it to run anyway- he's not under any apparant time contraints, he can just make a cup of tea while he's waiting for the filter to render, and you can always add more ram in the future (although you're right RAM is pretty cheap these days, but chosing between an i5 with 16gb and an i7 with 8gb, I think i'd take the i7, it's easier to add more ram than it is to change out a cpu)

but as everyone has said invest in the monitor, as a cheap monitor will give bad colour for the entire of it's existence- but then how important is colour to you, I think people over estimate the importance of colour accuracy, it's not like yellow will look pink, it's only like the difference between royal mail red and manchester united red- how important is that to you?

I don't run cs6 so maybe it's a hog compared to cs5, but I get by (but it's not pretty) with 4gb and I work with some massive multi layer files and panoramas- and 8gb would be enough to contain those
my work is skill dependent rather than time dependent, i'm not usually working to deadlines (not tight ones anyway) so I don't need a super fast PC but sometimes when the **** hits the fan and I have to turn around some images quick I do get annoyed at my computer

the really annoying thing is that it flew with cs4 and osx leopard, now with cs5 and mountain lion it's a hog, so now I'm having to buy a new laptop just to give power to features I don't even use!

you could probably trim some off the case and PSU too- you're not driving the system to the limit with overclocking, and £100 for a mb is pretty top end, and unless you're gaming then you can cut back on the GPU, you can run with anything as long as it's Nvidia and supports CUDA (which is probably everything these days)

Last edited:
yes RAM is faster, but he's on a budget and if he needs to trim it then some sacrifices need to be made

RAM is cheap... SSDs are not. Having sufficient RAM will negate the need for high scratch disk performance, and he'll save a lot more money. 16GB of DDR3 is around £50. IF he still wants a SSD he'd see far more gains by using it as his boot drive ( C: ) to keep overall system response perky.. and windows' swap file usage nice and fast.

how fast does he need it to run anyway- he's not under any apparant time contraints, he can just make a cup of tea while he's waiting for the filter to render, and you can always add more ram in the future (although you're right RAM is pretty cheap these days, but chosing between an i5 with 16gb and an i7 with 8gb, I think i'd take the i7, it's easier to add more ram than it is to change out a cpu)

I think he should make as many savings as humanly possible with the computer and put as much as he can into his monitor and calibration.. this is, after all a machine purely for his photography if the thread title is true. As you said, you can upgrade CPUs and RAM later, but you can't really upgrade a monitor... you have to replace it. Also, it's the one and only think in the system that affects the quality of your images... did I say that already? :) The i5 will still work admirably. I'd say get the i7 if video editing comes into the equation, but for still image work an i5 will be more than enough so long as it has a decent amount of memory (16GB or more). He'll never see any major scratch disk usage on most still images with 16GB or more.

but as everyone has said invest in the monitor, as a cheap monitor will give bad colour for the entire of it's existence- but then how important is colour to you, I think people over estimate the importance of colour accuracy, it's not like yellow will look pink, it's only like the difference between royal mail red and manchester united red- how important is that to you?

It's being confident that what you see is CORRECT. Calibration isn't just about colour anyway, just as important is a screen's gamma response so you can accurately judge how dark shadow detail is for example. I find it odd that you are questioning whether being totally accurate is necessary. Even if your chosen style of imagery is far from neutral in it's colour grading, you still need to have an accurate screen to know how far you are pushing things. If he has a screen that's warm to begin with, and then makes an image cool/blue, he'll be pushing it too far because his screen is warm. View that on a well calibrated screen and everyone's first reaction is "He's gone a bit too far with the whole blue thing".

Another reason calibration is important, is because unless you go the whole hog and have Pantone measured neutral grey walls, window blackouts and D55 lighting installed, your colour acuity will change throughout the day. My screen is calibrated, but because the light through my window right now is very warm (it's 08:24 and the sun is just rising) my screen looks a very cool cyan colour on greys. It's NOT of course.. it's just my eyes/brain being influenced by the heavy yellow bias to the ambient. Knowing that my screen is accurate, I can move closer, remove the daylight from my peripheral vision, and let my eyes adjust and be confident that what's on the screen is accurate.

I don't run cs6 so maybe it's a hog compared to cs5, but I get by (but it's not pretty) with 4gb and I work with some massive multi layer files and panoramas- and 8gb would be enough to contain those
my work is skill dependent rather than time dependent,

I agree, but 16GB is only £50. He can make some bigger savings there, and free up some cash for a better display.

you could probably trim some off the case and PSU too- you're not driving the system to the limit with overclocking, and £100 for a mb is pretty top end, and unless you're gaming then you can cut back on the GPU, you can run with anything as long as it's Nvidia and supports CUDA (which is probably everything these days)

Agreed.. except the PSU thing... having a decent PSU is very important for stability. Cheap PSUs are one of the biggest reasons for system instability. Unless a PSU can supply rock stead voltages on all rails under all loads, it can cause all manner of issues. Cheap cases usually have crap cooling, and that causes issues too, especially with mechanical hard drives. One of the biggest reasons for HDD failure is consistently high temps. I agree though.. his choice of case is ridiculous.

This is what I would do actually, given a little thought.

HPuU6.jpg

Rationale:

i5 3470 - Ivybridge, so uses latest Intel HD graphics negating the need for a separate GPU (unless you want to game of course). The Intel HD2500 graphics on board the ivybridge i5 is good for any 2D work, and good for 2560x1600 (only over a digital output, not a D-Sub analogue) should you want to upgrade to a 27 or 30" screen later.

Motherboard - B75 chipset is more than adequate for you, but still part of the latest 1155 ivybridge chipset range so you have a good upgrade path.

Case - Cheap, but tool less install, and good ventilation, but fans are optional hence the 3x 120 fans in the list (one rear, one top and one front to pull air over the drives).

SSD - if you DO insist on a SSD this is every bit as fast as the Vertex4, but is a totally in-house design with Samsung designed controller, NAND and PCB. It uses toggle NAND and has better garbage collection than the Vertex, and in every day use, will probably be slightly faster as a result of better TRIM and GC.

You still have a fairly beefy PSU, but as it's only partly modular, it's much cheaper, but Corsair PSUs are renowned for quality and reliability.

Although the same price as your system I've also included a monitor I forgot all about, which is an interesting one. It's the Asus PA248QJ which is a decent IPS screen but comes bundled with a Spyder 4 express and hood. It's only sRGB gamut, but unless you print a great deal that's not a problem. In fact, it MAY have advantages if what you mainly do is for screen.

This will work very well with Photoshop, and your also getting a calibrated screen.

I've not added the OS however, so budget for that... nor have I included an optical drive, which you'll probably need as it makes OS installation much easier, and you will no doubt need to burn discs at some point. You can get a DVD writer for around £13 though.

You'll have a decent Intel quad core CPU, fast SSD and 2TB of storage. A decent motherboard that offers a good upgrade path. A decent screen and calibration solution. A decent looking case. Ultra reliable PSU. 16GB of DDR3 1600.

Last edited:
if youre running 16gb memory chances are you wont be paging anyway, ive got my pagefile set to a minimum size with auto grow up to a limit and it hasnt been touched.

the samsung 830 are just as capable and cheaper by the way. and 250gb is overkill for an OS and programs drive (but the larger drives do run faster).

Yep.. a refurbed U2410, if it has a warranty would be a great way to a good screen.. but he'd still need a calibrator, so may not end up much cheaper, if at all, than the Asus... but the U2410 is a better screen.

Clicked the wrong link on Scan.... meant to click this one. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120g...oggle-nand-read-530mb-s-write-130mb-s-85k-iop

The 840 is only around £8 more, and, on paper anyway, seems worth the extra £8.

Just had a look at NRG_IT's ebay store and there's a U2410 for £225.00. Add an Xrite i1Display Pro for £110 and all in you have a great monitor for £335.

Good call Neil!

Last edited:
I'm with David on this - my only contribution being that I consider the aesthetics of the case to be important too - apart from the monitor, it's the bit that you have to live with as an object in the room. A decent case will most likely house several incarnations of computer too.

Out of interest, how much memory are people actually (as opposed to have installed) using on their Windows machines? On my Ubuntu 12.04 machine, with Firefox web browser (+ 10 tabs), Thunderbird email client, Guayadeque music player (same sort of thing as Winamp), Digikam photograph manager, Gimp image editor (with two images opened from 50D raw files) and System Monitor (a bit like Task Manager), I am only using 1.8GB of my 4GB memory and the machine hasn't dipped into the swap file (which has its own partition & file-system) once. If I do an auto-level and sharpen (smart Redux) on both images, the memory usage shoots up to a steady 2.5GB, but peaking at 2.8GB on the way.

Linux is far more memory efficient, and so is GIMP.

Just sitting here now, with nothing but a browser open I'm using 2.7GB. Windows will use more when it has spare resources though.

With your examples though, how big is the image? Doing what you just did with a 200MB TIFF saw my RAM usage jump up to 6.8GB. So 8GB for me would put me close to the swap file limit, especially if I had other apps running too. I also do video editing, and that really pushes things.. I regularly use page files with Premiere and 16GB. I really could do with 32GB here.

re: the case. I think that Cooler Master case I linked to is nice.. understated and discreet :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't even consider building something with less than 16gb Ram

I'm buying a new PC next week - having it built by a company nearby

I'm considering going up to 32gb of ram

I'm having a 3.3ghz six core amd, 2gb gaming gfx, 16gb ram, 1 tb HD, 24" led monitor and 2.1 surround sound for £458 so would be rude not to ramp it up to 32gb of ram if you ask me

Back