PC not seeing USB-related devices.

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll keep it simple, for some reason whenever I connect a Gopro or an Android smartphone to my Windows 10 based PC tower via a USB port, it won't show up as a removable drive in "My Computer" for me to extract the image files from. I've been able to do it at first, but then I appear to have lost that ability after a recent OS update. I've tried "searching for device" and the device troubleshooting feature but to no avail.

I could get a card reader but it will need to come with a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass to handle the tiny SDHC memory card, hence finding it easier just to connect the actual host device straight to a USB port.

The only clue I've been able to find is that the latest version of Windows 10 doesn't support MTP mode - as it does all work on an older Windows 7 laptop with no problems. However, I am still able to charge up the GoPro and Android smartphone via the tower PC's USB anyway.

I can't comment on the GoPro but with my Android phone running Android 7 and PC running W10 after you've connected the phone you have to set the connection options to make it visible to the PC, it defaults to charge only.
After connecting the phone try 'pulling down' from the top of the screen, on my phone that gives you the connection options

I can't comment on the GoPro but with my Android phone running Android 7 and PC running W10 after you've connected the phone you have to set the connection options to make it visible to the PC, it defaults to charge only.
After connecting the phone try 'pulling down' from the top of the screen, on my phone that gives you the connection options

Yes mine does exactly the same after the upgrade,the only one that seems to work is download photos

Last edited:

Hi Alistair. Yup, tried that, where there is a well hidden pull down menu which gives the option to recharge via USB, media transfer (MTP) and MIDI (whatever that does), along with using different USB ports and a spare connecting cable and none of it worked - apart from the recharging part..

I've caved in and ordered a card reader that could take a SDHD card, along with a pair of tweezer and a magnifying glass. :D

Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Right click on the specific device > Unistall > and then plug in device, the driver will reset

Hi Alistair. Yup, tried that, where there is a well hidden pull down menu which gives the option to recharge via USB, media transfer (MTP) and MIDI (whatever that does), along with using different USB ports and a spare connecting cable and none of it worked - apart from the recharging part..

I've caved in and ordered a card reader that could take a SDHD card, along with a pair of tweezer and a magnifying glass. :D

Ian, I thought you'd more than likely done that but thought it was suggesting just in case.

Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Right click on the specific device > Unistall > and then plug in device, the driver will reset

Yes, this is where it shows up as a yellow exclamation mark, so I have uninstalled the drivers, reboot, plug the GoPro back in (making sure it's on rather than off), I get that USB device not recognised message and it's back to square one with the yellow exclamation mark. I also use the "search computer or online for up to date drivers" and it says that the latest drivers are already installed.

Sometimes it doesn't even see the device at all, so thinking that perhaps the device may be faulty, I tried it on my spare Windows 7 laptop and it easily pops up as a removable drive complete with files, so I go back to my "main" Windows 10 desktop PC and I'm stumped. I try connecting a removable hard drive or keyboard to the front USB I've tried to connect the GoPro to, and those work fine so the socket doesn't appear to be at fault.

Anyway, a new card reader that can read SDHD cards has just turned up in the post so I think it is time for me to suggest that Windows 10 doesn't like the MTP method involving cabled mobile devices.

Last edited:
Had my phone connected by mtp this week to transfer files worked fine.

Tried the rear USB? Not unheard of for the front port header to fail.

Edit - should read the entire thread before posting. Still worth trying the gopro in the other ports.

Should also ask what your mobo chipset is and is it up to date.

Last edited:
Had my phone connected by mtp this week to transfer files worked fine.

Tried the rear USB? Not unheard of for the front port header to fail.

Edit - should read the entire thread before posting. Still worth trying the gopro in the other ports.

Should also ask what your mobo chipset is and is it up to date.

Yup, tried the rear end and almost put my back out in doing so (oo-er). o_O :eek: The motherboard is an Asus and used the supplied CD rom to provide the correct drivers after I took advantage of that free upgrade to W10 after 7. Not tried updating it, though, and now I've thought about that, I think I will quit while I'm ahead otherwise I may end up making things worse. :exit:

Found this...

Method 2: Roll back the device driver and remove from system

Part 1: Roll back the driver (When finished, you must complete Part 2 or the incorrect driver will reinstall)

1. Press Windows Key + X and then choose Device Manager in the menu.
  2. Look for the device with a yellow and red mark next to it. It should be your phone or other connected device.
  3. Press-and-hold or right-click on the device and choose Update Driver Software.
  4. You may need to reboot and reconnect the device. If so, follow these steps again to get back to the driver update.
  5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Choose Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
  7. Check Show compatible hardware, select MTP USB Device, and then choose Next.
  8. Finish the install and reboot your PC. Verify that the mobile device is detected.
Part 2: Prevent the driver from reinstalling

1. Press Windows Key + X, and in the menu click on Command Prompt (Admin), and then choose Yes on the prompt.
  2. Type pnputil.exe -e and hit Enter. This will list installed device drivers.
  3. Scroll through the list looking for the description that matches the one in the below example (except for the .inf file’s published name). Make a note of the .inf file name associated. It should be something like oem##.inf with a one or two digit number after the oem in the name, and have the Driver date and version as shown in the following example:
Example:
Published name : oem42.inf

Driver package provider : Microsoft

Class : Portable Devices

Driver date and version : 02/22/2016 5.2.5326.4762

Signer name : Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

4. Now type pnputil.exe -d oem##.inf where the ## is the number in the file name noted below. Example: oem62.inf.

5. Hit Enter and the incorrect driver is now deleted from your system. When you disconnect and reconnect your device, it should not reinstall the incorrect driver.

Cheers Dave. I will give that a go tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes and a clear head. :cool:

Yup, tried the rear end and almost put my back out in doing so (oo-er). o_O :eek: The motherboard is an Asus and used the supplied CD rom to provide the correct drivers after I took advantage of that free upgrade to W10 after 7. Not tried updating it, though, and now I've thought about that, I think I will quit while I'm ahead otherwise I may end up making things worse. :exit:
If you're using the original supplied drivers then chances are they're woefully out of date. Asus site should have more recent drivers.

Ian an update has just been installed on my W10 PC that sorts out an MPT driver issue that started early in March. It might resolve your issue so worth checking if your system has installed the update https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...ses-usb-connected-phone-portable-device-issue
This update includes a fix for an incorrect device driver (“Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM - 5.2.5326.4762”) that was released by a third-party on March 8, 2017 that affected a small group of users with USB connected phones or other media devices that rely on Media Transfer Protocol (MTP). If the driver is on your system, when any of these devices are connected, Windows will try to install this driver. These devices will not be connected until the driver is removed. This incorrect driver was removed from Windows Update the same day, but it may have been downloaded to your computer. After installing this update the incorrect driver will be removed.

Ian an update has just been installed on my W10 PC that sorts out an MPT driver issue that started early in March. It might resolve your issue so worth checking if your system has installed the update https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...ses-usb-connected-phone-portable-device-issue
This update includes a fix for an incorrect device driver (“Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM - 5.2.5326.4762”) that was released by a third-party on March 8, 2017 that affected a small group of users with USB connected phones or other media devices that rely on Media Transfer Protocol (MTP). If the driver is on your system, when any of these devices are connected, Windows will try to install this driver. These devices will not be connected until the driver is removed. This incorrect driver was removed from Windows Update the same day, but it may have been downloaded to your computer. After installing this update the incorrect driver will be removed.

I had an update loaded up on the PC in the background this morning but never thought any more about it until just moments ago I connected the Go Pro to my PC via the cable out of habit . . . and lo and behold . . ta-daaaah, it's all working now. Same goes with my Sony Experia mobile where that, too, now shows up as a removable device. So much easier than prising out that little tiny memory card every time given my failing eyesight and fat fingers.

Last edited:
I needed to transfer a load of music files from the PC to my Nexus 7 last week and ran into the identical problem. I ended up telling the Nexus a fib by selecting the pictures option - which worked okay. Upon reading this thread I have just tried the settings once more and all is well. The latest W10 update seems to have done the trick.

Anthony.

From what post #15 is saying, perhaps it's already been fixed by Bill's cowboys in an update.

I thought I'd share what I ended up doing to get my Daughter's Moto G4 and Windows 10 talking (I'd already been through the remove/re-add device maypole dance).

(1) Go to C:\Windows\INF
(2) Type "wpdmtp.inf" in search bar provided to the right of the address bar in Windows 10.
(3) Once you found it, just right click on it and select install. It will take a very few seconds.
(4) Connect your device to the pc

(Actually I found I had to have the device plugged in while installing the .inf)

Can't recall where I found those instructions, but they worked.

Back