PC Upstairs - with access downstairs through monitor and remote laptop

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a dream...

Basically I am wondering if anyone could help me out with an idea I have had, enabling me to be downstairs with my family, but able to work on editing weddings downstairs (and do other PC tasks) without needing to be locked away in a separate room upstairs.

I have no idea how this would work at the moment, so any input or suggestions would be welcomed!

I would like to somehow have my PC base-unit upstairs - all my external HDDs (combination of USB 3.0 and NAS) upstairs, all my RAW files and working files, films, music etc - stored upstairs. But I would like to somehow be able to access this downstairs

Ideas I have had so far to enable this:

• 20m DVI cable from PC upstairs, down through floorboards, wall cavity into a monitor downstairs - cables tucked away neatly. (Not sure about mouse / keyboard though ? )
  • Hi-spec laptop downstairs running Lightroom - connecting to my PC through wireless LAN (or wired) to access the RAW files and catalog stored on the internal PC HDDs. Not sure if this is possible?
  • Imac - much smaller and neater... but would require a complete change to my workflow, and a lot of expenses that I dont really want to have to do (also dont really like Apple) but have to admit it looks great and is all-in-one

Are there any other methods I could do this that I haven't considered?

Thanks for any help!

"The maximum length recommended for DVI cables is not included in the specification, since it is dependent on the pixel clock frequency. In general, cable lengths up to 4.5 metres (15 ft) will work for display resolutions up to 1920 × 1200."

HDMI/DVI over Cat5 might be a better option. cat5 cable would be easier to run than DVI too.

might be a better option to leave your NAS and/or drives upstairs and move the computer, then have a gigabit link to the files.

Last edited:
Export Lightroom catalogue, work on it, then import it back to your main machine.

As Andy said, the easiest way is to export the catalogue. It is a bit of a faff to be honest but probably much easier than what you're trying to do. This is something that so many photographers want to do, I don't understand why Adobe don't allow catalogue syncing as a built in feature with CC?!

Or, You could always screen share your PC to your Laptop.

You could use windows remote desktop if you have the "Professional" verion of windows. Otherwise, use google remote desktop which is free. Download and install the app on both PCs and login using a gmail account. You set a pin number on each device that you can use to login to it remotely. Once connected you can use the screen, keyboard and mouse on your laptop to "drive" your machine remotely. It doesn't ned to be on the same network either - you can access your PC from anywhere in the world as long as both are switched on and connected to the internet.

If I'm working away on site and someone wants a specific photo, then I simply ask one of my family to switch on the computer at home (no need for the monitor to be on). A few minutes later and I can connect and access anything that I would if I was at home and then shut down the computer myself when I'm finished.

The only thing I'm wary about are things that need to be colour critical, as the screen on my laptop doesn't render colours as accurately.

Google remote desktop will likely go over the web, but I've found performance to be acceptable in most cases. You could try using windows remote desktop if it is available on the version of windows you are using (might need to enable remote connections via control panel). Then just remote to the IP address of your desktop from the laptop and you should be up and running.

Google remote desktop will likely go over the web, but I've found performance to be acceptable in most cases. You could try using windows remote desktop if it is available on the version of windows you are using (might need to enable remote connections via control panel). Then just remote to the IP address of your desktop from the laptop and you should be up and running.
Windows Home editions don't support RDP as a target. You can use Home editions to access a remote PC but the target must be running Pro or higher versions, or a Windows Server O/S.

Remote desktop all the way. Anything else feels like insanity. It should be perfectly responsive over LAN. If you have a Home version of Windows just pay for an inplace upgrade to Pro.

working via remote desktop or vnc isnt going to be particularly pleasant for high accuracy work such as photo editing.
Exactly, I think it is absolute madness. I use remote desktop all the time, but for something like this no way.

I also don't think it is smart to mix business with pleasure. If you are working then work, that way you can enjoy you time much better when you aren't working, but naturally that is your choice. If you must I would just have a second PC/iMac or actually a laptop.

just buy a Laptop or iMac share the drives on your main PC, Login to the Wifi and Map the drives.

As long as the base stays on the USB mapped drives will be there, the NAS should be on full time and you'll see it anyway.... If your finding the NAS acceptable speeds then just throw everything on a nice fast NAS and buy a nice Macbook or High end laptop and do it all where-ever you like on the same network....theres a compromise of course NAS vs Direct attached but you can always test that now, throw some Photos on your NAS and see if you can work ok with them that way...i do both at home and works fine for me, and I'm working with either D500 files or massive A7Rii files...

Exactly, I think it is absolute madness. I use remote desktop all the time, but for something like this no way.

I also don't think it is smart to mix business with pleasure. If you are working then work, that way you can enjoy you time much better when you aren't working, but naturally that is your choice. If you must I would just have a second PC/iMac or actually a laptop.
Modern RDP over decent speed network is absolutely fine though?

Modern RDP over decent speed network is absolutely fine though?
Not for editing photos. You just don't get the precision control and movement from the mouse. Its fine for most things but not media creation like that. Heck even to get it to have one to one pixel mapping isn't guaranteed.

I would use an external drive and simply copy working files to it for working away from the base desktop. No chance of mucking up originals and an extra backup to boot! USB3 should make the transfer relatively fast and painless both ways.

Back