PC vs Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started this thread back in June. I have since purchase a lovely new imac, but still kept the pc just in case. The mac is a newer spec which would be expected to perform better whether it's a newer pc or mac. But on the whole the Mac is just great. I also have aperture (which I got for £89 as a student) and fits very well into my photography workflow. The mac starts and shuts down quicker and the operating system is easy to use.
Thanks everyone for their help and input into this question, it's been fun nd a great intro, all be it 3 months ago now, into the TP forum.

Heres an analogy that sums up my thought on mac's. The mac is like the compact camera in that's it's quick and easy at the press of a button and great for taking snaphots. It does a good job and if your happy with just taking snapshots then that's just dandy and most people are. There is none of this changing lenses and other fiddly bits. They come in a neat little package in a pretty little case but that's pretty much it. As you learn more you may want to do more with your photography. You may want to use the array on lenses on offer or filters. Switch off auto mode and get your teeth into manual mode and do things you just can't do in auto. If your one of these people then it's time to progress on and get an SLR (PC) but be warned...in manual mode things get harder to do and you will go wrong lots but if give it the time and effort to learn how it really works then you won't have too many problems and produce an end results you just could not have done before.If you have experiance of both and really think about it this analogy works perfectly on many levels. Oh apart from in this case the compact is more expensive ;)

So you are claiming that the best OS for 'manual mode' usage is Windows?!? :thinking: Seriously?

:cautious: Anyone gets out of their pram, and there will be some serious trouble :cautious:

a032.gif
pcfite.gif

So you are claiming that the best OS for 'manual mode' usage is Windows?!? :thinking: Seriously?

Sie doesn't post here anymore, largely as a result of this thread, so let's not lose anyone else over it.

Pro I.T people use PC's. I know a lot of them and I know not one of them that own a Mac. So what does this tell you?
That you're fraternising with the wrong sort of people :razz:

I know four pro togs and only one has a PC. He has one - but he doesn't use it. Not since he bought a Mac lappy. :D

Sie doesn't post here anymore, largely as a result of this thread

It always surprises me that people can care as much as they do about things they read on the internet. :thinking:

For the record, I use canon/mamiya gear and a mac. It all does a good job and I (mostly) get what I need from it but I'd still be happier with a large format camera, no battery chargers and an abacus. ;)

Glad you're enjoying the computer anyway natjag. :)

I went to PC World, Purley Way, Croydon the other day using my personal car parking space!!! Well I'm in there so often!!! They now have a dedicated Apple Mac area. The latest iMacs are great looking machines. I'm looking to replace my desktop pc at some future point but wonder if I convert to Apple all the software/hardware I might have to throw away. What apple software would work with my JVC GZ-MG505EK hard drive camcorder and its preculiar video file formats? I have a laptop. So can you have a network with a iMac and pc? I saw a mac magazine wasn't too keen on the wireless router that I brought to replace the crappy one Sky give you when you join them. So whatever camp you're think you also have to think of the 'other' cost of converting.

The only item I had to replace was a 10 year old Laser printer. That was only because it used an old serial connection which is now replaced by USB. So even had I have just upgraded to a newer PC the printer would still have had to go. I also had 2 olympus dye sub printer, one which wasn't claimed to be compatible with mac, but it works with my mac. You may not need to replace any of your hardware.

So can you have a network with a iMac and pc?

No problem. Mac stuff sees all types of networks and once passwords are given just joins the network without revealling what it has done. My PC based shares, NATS and wireless printer all work with Mac.

Software is another issue though, virtually all the good stuff has to be re-bought for Mac OS.:(

Must resist......must resist.....noooooooo...Mac, upgrade ....no stop it :nono:

Wow!

New low even for you mate :shake:

Thanks role model :p

Probably get a ban from this,... :thinking:

Must admit, this is a new low for the fourm in general. I have read and re-raed this post. In fact, it has actually highlighted a few things that mods have asked in the past. One major thing is the topic titled: "Are we cliquay". The only answer I can put on that after reading this is yes. Siejones was obviously upset after Petemc's post which was then followed up by another abusive/patronising post and was not flagged. Why? Siejones highlights this further on in this topic. It is a valid question and one that needs answering. Is it becasue Pete has become an established member of the photography community/this forum?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, if you dont agree with it then justify your reasons. Dont go posting little waiving smilies or make comments like 'jog on' or 'whatever'. At the end of the day this is a debate, discuss it. These 'trolling' posts are a waste of space and pointless, they cause arguments and destroy communities. This is aimed at everyone, not just the above two so no side taking here.

As for the debate itself.

When I first started with all the computer malarky back in my days of the 386 it was entriguing and fun to learn. Over the years I have gained a wealth of knowledge. This knowledge grew into a hobby which resulted in becoming a systems builder. I have built many systems for both personal and commercial use. My personal efferts have ranged from media centres to rendering farm houses to single machines for overclocking and gaming. It was fun, I enjoyed it. I have achieved some amazing things on the PC. One major one was my degree in computer animation. This couldnt of been done without it (using 3D Max, which is Windows only). Now, I love the PC, I love games, animation and overclocking. One of those simply cant be done on the Mac, overclocking. With this comes the ability to customize your system to levels unknown by the Joe Bloggs user.

Mac, I switched to Mac. My animation was set aside for my Photography and after using Aperture in a local Apple store I got hooked. There was nothing like it on PC, simply nothing. Now, I knew switching would mean giving up overclocking, building and animation to a certain degree (use Maya now on Mac) but it was something that was worth try. When my Macbook arrived I thought, this is it, I havnt got a clue what I am doing. Upon turning it on I was presented with an easy to use set up menu and suddenly I was sat there in OSX thinking,... oh boy, this is different. A week or so later I was flying around the OS doing everything I needed to do. Everything integrates really well eachother and there is that slight ease wth everything. I am by no means saying OSX is easy to use as it goes far beyond the shiny interface. I am saying that it is slightly more streamlined compared to a Windows based platform where basic tasks I would consider more manual.

Overall though, the benefits of each system depends on your individual requirments. They both offer everything you might need, give or take. Weigh up what you need the most and decide from there.

As for the slagginf off, lets just give it a rest.

King.

i think this thread has run its course, do we really need to rake over it?

I agree with you Matty.
I think valuable lessons were learned from this thread, no point in dragging it all back up though.

Ooh! and Matty ...
Is that big bulge a padlock in your pocket or are you just very pleased to be back! :LOL:

:( I tried in another thread to justify why I didn't agree with siejone's opinions. If the mods felt I did something bad, I'll happily take whatever punishment. I do feel that its a shame he had to quit over this silly argument.

It's a shame this thread was resurrected - it's already caused quite sufficient damage to the community here, so after discussion with Admin I'm closing it.

For the record there is no favouritism from staff here towards anyone. I personally find it difficult to understand how anyone can get so worked up over a few typed words on a bulletin board. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back