PC vs Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Nathan Hulse
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to upgrade or change my computer system. I currently have a laptop PC, but am considering a imac, partly as I'd like to use Aperture. I currently use Capture One LE for RAW conversion and iView media pro for cataloguing etc. I only use elements for basic adjusments (I'm of the old school film use).

Any advice and experience. Thanks

oh no! The Mac vs PC debate begins :( ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.......

lol sorry, didnt mean to have a go. It has been done a few times, but the threads tend to got locked (and possibly removed) after things get a bit heated.

I am not a huge fan of Macs, I have to use one for some of the work I do (video compression etc) and it really annoys me, but if the software is there that you like to use and you can get a good spec without speding over odds (based on a similar spec PC) then why not. Have you played with the Mac operating system before? sometimes people can find it a bit hard to get use to, especially if you have used Windows for a long time :)

I'm a Mac convert since having to use Macs for my Graphic Design degree. I'm still using a PC at the moment but my next upgrade (at the end of the summer) is going to be to a Mac book Pro :)

Panzer

My son is having to buy himself a new pc for going to university in september.
He said he would love a mac but for the compatibility of games.. what do you think?

Both systems have good and bad points, for anyone using the computer for primarily photo/graphics/music work I would have to recommend the Macs. The quality of the included software is excellent, iLife in particular. For web browsing/homework/office work they are just as capable as a PC. The only downside is the lack of games available for them. Although bootcamp download and a copy of Vista/XP allows you to play Windows games natively.

As to the price comparison, people tend to forget to spec like for like. Apple build their own machines, and the components, IMO, tend to be of a high quality. Yes you can buy cheaper Windows based machines, but they won't be as fast or as well built as a Mac. If you add in software to replicate the functions of iLife, and match the spec from a quality manufacturer you won't be too far short of the price of the Mac.

As for getting used to OS X, anyone who has used a Windows based PC will find working with OS X very easy. After an initial learning curve, during which time the OS X Help guide really helps and proves that help guides can actually help, most people start finding the system far more logical and better designed than Windows. Many people at work have switched to Macs and the most common thing they say after a week or so is that the OS just lets you get on with during stuff rather than getting in the way.

Anyone seriously considering a Mac should really visit their nearest Apple Store and have a good look at them before making a decision.

This isn't to say that a Mac is suitable for everyone, but I personally will not go back to PC's.

Hope this helps.

Have you tried Lightroom? I switched from Aperture to Lightroom on OSX. Its available for Windows too which might save you some hassle. Lightroom does everything Aperture does and more imho.

another mac convert - once youve got mac you dont go back - bum de bum tish

seriously though - I have a windows based shuttle sat in the corner that i dont even turn on - because my iBook does everything i need - but it is slowing up a bit these days.

My next comp will be an intel iMac for sure.

There is only one set of computers that will easily run on all 3 major OS (linux, windows and OS X) and those are the intel macs. If you're worried about gaming and such - why not dual boot with windows. Surfing and working on your mac. Playing games on the windows boot.

Here I go!!
£ for £ macs and pcs with the SAME performance work out about the same. OK..!
The differences lie in the detail (as in photographs).
Game players (hard core) will still choose pc.. However if that is not the be all and end all with the Intel macs attracting more games each day that particular bias can (if you wish) be left to rest.
So to cover the rest simply, reliability, speed, ease of use, adaptability and finally good looks and style the mac (especially the laptops) pretty much take the bacon.. No they are not pigs:nono: :LOL:

I started on a 133khz pc some time ago and made the change when pentium4 was the thing to a very little 12"mac book pro..Istill use it for off site shoots.

Have NEVER looked back!
Not a techy, just like the computer to let me get on with it, not get in the way..
Hope that helps.(y)

Have you tried Lightroom? I switched from Aperture to Lightroom on OSX. Its available for Windows too which might save you some hassle. Lightroom does everything Aperture does and more imho.

Hi PeteMC,
I think you are the reason I found this forum. I found your site describing HDR, and followed links to here. What a great forum. Also with you post the next debate could be, lightroom vs aperture. Do you have experience with both?
Currently the Mac argument seems to win. The psychology Dept at my uni uses mac's (I'm studying psychology). Just seems a more stable work platform than windows.

Mac-PC, Canon-Nikon.....

it's all the same argument. It's been pretty well proved that if you spend Mac money on a PC, you'll get a fast and reliable machine that will run just about any software you might need. Except aperture of course but lightroom is very good anyway, some say better.

What it comes down to is what feels better to you. I was forced into going mac about 4 years ago, when I would have been far happier staying with PC. Within days I was a convert and would never go back. I do still need to use Windows only software pretty much every day and when I got a macbook pro, I was finally released to using only machines I like.

If you can, spend some time with a mac and if possible complete a task or two with it. You may love it, you may hate it.

Apparently, they even have sexual orientation. Which I find quite impressive for a computer. :LOL:

Hi PeteMC,
I think you are the reason I found this forum. I found your site describing HDR, and followed links to here. What a great forum. Also with you post the next debate could be, lightroom vs aperture. Do you have experience with both?

Ah cool, glad you like the forum. I started using Aperture the moment I got a Mac. Its one of the things that attracted me at the time. However, after a few months of using it I found it was really slow, like stupidly slow. It really needs an 8 core Mac Pro with 4gb ram to run nicely and personally thats just stupid. Before Aperture I was using iView for organising my images. It doesn't do RAW processing but it can handle 50,000 images without slowing down. That to me made me think that there was something wrong with Aperture. Earlier this year Lightroom shipped and it was an improvement over Aperture. The things that made me jump ship were better handling of metadata, faster processing, and cross platform compatability. The second main issue I had with Aperture was the metadata. Aperture didn't export it. So everything was locked into Aperture. I didn't really like that. If something happened I'd loose all my keywording and ratings. Thankfully with Lightroom keywording, ratings, colour selections and even image adjustments are automatically exported. So this way if something happens to Lightroom then Bridge or Photoshop can still read the data. Give Lightroom a go and see how you get on. Even if you still want a Mac its worth trying.

As for the switch from PC to Mac I switched for the little things. No drivers to worry about, or weekly security updates, or patches, or anti-virus nonsense, or spyware, etc. My PC was well maintained and I never had an issue but its a breath of fresh air to not even for a second have to think about it. Does my Mac run faster, I dunno. I'd hope so as its a better spec than my PC. I'm not going to smugly pretend that my Mac is faster and awesomer than a PC. But its just the little things. The nice interface design, the way OSX developers always but that extra bit into their programs. Like Disco. Its a cd burning application. It doesn't have a huge interface like Nero, its just small and nice. When you start burning a cd/dvd the top of the application actually produces smoke or fire like it really is burning. Its a bit gimmicky but how often do you stop and appreciate the design of an application on Windows?

pete - the new find feature in safari 3.0 is brilliant - ever had a problem searching for a word on a web page in a whole paragraph of text, and not being able to see the highlighted word, well now they dull everything and have the word highlighted in bright orange jumping up in orange. It's very clever and they've solved a little problem that did annoy me, but not to the point where i'd ever remember it was a problem until the next time i did it. It's just clever attention to detail

Safari 3.0 sounds interesting but even using the mac's at uni (and my house mates macs) I only ever use Firefox. Roll on Firefox 3.0 ;)

Panzer

Must resist......must resist.....noooooooo...Mac, upgrade :LOL::LOL::LOL: ....no stop it :nono:

Thanks role model :p

I was never or have never been directly abusive :shake:

If anyone has adopted a troll's attitude as of late it would be yourself and I see me making any kind of useful contribution to this thread will be met by the same type of attitude.

So here's me backing out so that petemc can have his own way and say again! Otherwise this is gonna get real heated :razz:

i dont think he meant to be rude, he did use the tongue smilie?

I use a mac but used PC's for years before - it is all down to personal preference in the end. It is no good having "better" programs or utilities for a particular usage but if you cannot get on with the operating system (or lack of 2nd mouse button on a mac :LOL:) then maybe alternatives are worth considering.
Personally I could not go back to PC's as I am now established on my mac & also due to the fact that I did not (at the time) have the technical ability to maintain a stable PC & spent more time fixing my computer rather than working (my own fault btw).
I'd echo the comments about trying before you buy as you would with a camera, your computer is going to be used a lot & you'll obviously be better off shopping around beforehand.

I know also that a friendly joke/debate/raging argument (joking!) about mac vs PC is always going to happen (my sig being an example of that :LOL:) but lets make sure it is kept constructive & friendly please peeps, Natjag has made a general request for help so lets stay on topic & keep it friendly, we're all adults here (y)

I was never or have never been directly abusive :shake:

No mate - in my experience you haven't (y)

OK kiddies, lets all pick up our toys and put our dummies back in. Natjag, the best suggestion you will have seen is from Kasalic. Decide what you want from a computer and try out both. PC v Mac is more emotive and gets far per personal and nasty than Canon v Nikon which is always tongue in cheek. Its a personal decision based on personal values - you'll get a sane and rational response from Grendel as he uses both in his business.

you'll get a sane and rational response from Grendel as he uses both in his business.

Sane and rational? Me? :wacky: :eek: :LOL:

Yup I do use both on a daily basis, many of my applications run cross platform. IMHO Both PC's and MACs have strengths and weaknesses and I honestly wouldn't say either is particularly better than the other. My personal preference is towards PCs, other guys here prefer MACs. I generally find a PC will execute a task quicker than a MAC will. I also get very irritated by the lack of right click on a MAC (the equivilent is ctrl-click). However I believe there is now a MAC mouse that addresses this. Petemc mentioned it a while ago. A MAC is much more hands-on-the-keyboard in the general day to day use, a PC tends to be more "mousey". (Again just my personal impression). Ultimately I don't think there is particularly a right or wrong, good or bad. It's about what YOU prefer the look and feel of.

I also get very irritated by the lack of right click on a MAC (the equivilent is ctrl-click).

All desktop based macs come with a mighty mouse (except the Mac Mini's), and you can use any USB mouse in a Mac. I use a Microsoft Mouse on my laptop, as I'm not a great fan of the Mighty Mouse. You can also download dedicated Logitech drivers for the Apples from the Apple website.

Also on the laptops you can set the pad up so that tapping it with two fingers executes a right click. You can also set it up to scroll when you hold one finger down whilst stroking downwards with a second.

The lack of a dedicated right button on the laptops is annoying at first though, and I still occasionally miss it, although I am getting better :)

The only keyboard commands I regularly use are ALT+Q to close programs, and the usual OPTION+C/V/X to copy/paste/cut, but Grendel is right that there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts to use if you can remember them all :)

Sane and rational? Me? :wacky: :eek: :LOL:

Thats the first and last time you'll here that from me. I blame it on still being drunk - second game of the season last night and i'm in agony over my right shoulder.:D

My son is having to buy himself a new pc for going to university in september.
He said he would love a mac but for the compatibility of games.. what do you think?

Intel macs can boot into Windows via software called Boot Camp. He would then be able to run windows applications and games. Games will probably not run as fast as a similarly priced PC that will probably have a better video card.

I use a mouse on a Waco graphics board set up for my left hand (left and right click) on a 'mac' with the keyboard on my rhs for easy use. Using the pen left handed and keyboard shotcuts with my right. Additionally I have run on my mac without disconnecting anything my brotherinlaws games'joystick & steering wheel thingy' (not a games man me). I have to say there is no way on this planet you would get me to muck about like that with a PC, just experience tells me not to rely on them (in general). My poor knowledge base and a childish attitude to these machines has meant that I kill more than I cure them (use them) and I am constantly amazed at the macs capability to recover from my stupidity and at the same time get done what I wanted in the first place. eg. I once through no fault of my own (lying) managed to load eight(8) operating systems on one (1) machine - It still worked and had the good grace to tell me the problem and how to sort it out and not do it again. Quite amazing. Previously I had killed dead my last 5 PCs.
Obviously this does not come into play if you are only slightly less destructive than me but I think it puts the case fairly well. Fully converted now to macs and speak as I find. Oh yes, I think speed is relative to many more things than just the label on the box - tech stuff - so not a real parameter.

I work as a .NET developer (so very much Windows based) but my main computer at home is a MacBook :) I think it's great, and would really recommend it to anyone who wants a less stressful and easier experience of computing. I do have a Windows machine though, and it's my media PC as there's nothing really to match MCE on Mac's. My PC is on 24/7 and always reboots itself after 3 weeks for some reason... the Mac? well that only gets rebooted with big OS X updates, which are probably every few months.

...and siejones stop taking everything so personally, it's all a bit of fun and every Mac/PC thread ends up with some sort of odd comment from yourself!

Well, The start of this thread was my first post. And I only caused 2 fights and 1 murder, so that can't be too bad. Seriously though, I think the mac has won, and this thread has helped make my decision. I still have my old pc for decorating the corner. Just need to decide on the spec now. Does rather seem that 1GB of memory is not enough and 2GB is the standard now. Then lightroom or aperture. Decisions, Decisions.

...and siejones stop taking everything so personally, it's all a bit of fun and every Mac/PC thread ends up with some sort of odd comment from yourself!

If i were you Matt, I'd re-read those posts a little more carefully.

I am going to try and ignore a lot of the comments above (even though they are very funny) and comment on me being a recent Mac "convert".

I use the quotation marks simply because I am not sure if inverted commas are in the same place as a PC keyboard. Not being facetious, just MAC has a different keyboard layout and this will cause the biggest problem for a PC user on a day-to-day basis.

Other problems I have found are that I cannot install my single copy of office 2000 which although I bought fair and square exists on at least another couple of thousand PCs.:whistle:

I promised this forum an update on my iMAC which looks very pretty but isn't amazing which all Mac people promised me it would be. I though that maybe if I sat up in front of it every night it would somehow give me a more productive time and in a way it does. In the time I have had this Mac another PC at home has bit the dust to a drippy MSN infection (promiscuous children) and my work PC has had problems with conflicting software.

Why does Mac not suffer this way? Probably because to do as much as an average PC it will cost you a lot more. Otherwise it simply will not work (but it won't fall over in a PC hissy fit way).

iLife? Don't make me laugh. There is as much useful software on a PC magazine free disk, however it works and if you don't have any extreme requirements it might just do.

So I must hate my Mac right? No. not really. It appears to be a tool that, like that famous paint, will do what it says on the tin. And for that I am glad I went Mac.

The only keyboard commands I regularly use are ALT+Q to close programs, and the usual OPTION+C/V/X to copy/paste/cut, but Grendel is right that there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts to use if you can remember them all :)

ditto - but there are also really useless but cool ones - if you're on a mac now do apple+alt+ctrl+8

sit back and go oooohhhhhhh - and then you'll never do it again but it is uber cool - anyone know why it's there and what it's for?

This is one of the funniest threads since one of the canon v nikon thread way back! LMAO!!! hahaha. Thanks for the giggle!

and then you'll never do it again but it is uber cool - anyone know why it's there and what it's for?

No idea what it's for but I'll be using it for white type on black websites. Cheers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back