PC vs Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and siejones stop taking everything so personally, it's all a bit of fun and every Mac/PC thread ends up with some sort of odd comment from yourself!

Excellent!

Right of coarse being called a troll (regared as highly insulting on the net) which impliments me to others as the kind of person who just enters a thread with intent to argue and cause trouble is fine. As long as it has a smiley face or a tongue on the end it's fine...."they were only joking". I hadn't realised the power of such a gesture. Right I am off to hurl personnel abuse at everyone most probably believeing or meaning what I say to them but at the end just about as I am gonna get battered I will smile and put my tongue out. I am sure they will stop laugh and say sorry mate I didn't realise you were joking.

I am not sure in what context petemc made his comment but considering our past and how easy it is to misinterperate text maybe he should have thought twice making it. I could only presume that an intellegent guy (that he is) would know this and realise how it would come across. Here's a saying for you "There is many a true word said in jest". Some people use indicated humour to say things they couldn't get away with unless they were presumably joking.

As far as the mac/pc debate goes well I was going to make a polite and probably useful argument before I was stopped in my tracks. I tested the water and it turned out murky.

I have used, installed, supported, setup, hardware maintained, developed and programed on more computer hardware and operating systems that I care to mention in my twenty odd years using computers. One of the largest regional newspapers in the midlands trusts my opinion and experiance and makes large financial decisions on my word. I would have thought that enough credentials for me to offer my advice to the less experianced on here. Notice the word newspaper....this is the media industry. Around 10 years ago it was just mac's as mac's ruled the roost when it came to media. I worked on nothing but them for the longest time and during that time I learnt all I need to know and care to know about them.

That's my credentials but I am not going to go over old ground and just reiterrate what I have already said on here as some people don't want to listen to fact and only hear what they wanna hear when it comes to there beloved mac's

Slate a PC of Windows and it's a joke but slate a mac in the same jest and your the devil incarnate.

Heres an analogy that sums up my thought on mac's. The mac is like the compact camera in that's it's quick and easy at the press of a button and great for taking snaphots. It does a good job and if your happy with just taking snapshots then that's just dandy and most people are. There is none of this changing lenses and other fiddly bits. They come in a neat little package in a pretty little case but that's pretty much it. As you learn more you may want to do more with your photography. You may want to use the array on lenses on offer or filters. Switch off auto mode and get your teeth into manual mode and do things you just can't do in auto. If your one of these people then it's time to progress on and get an SLR (PC) but be warned...in manual mode things get harder to do and you will go wrong lots but if give it the time and effort to learn how it really works then you won't have too many problems and produce an end results you just could not have done before.If you have experiance of both and really think about it this analogy works perfectly on many levels. Oh apart from in this case the compact is more expensive ;)

:ty: :ty: Been thinking of getting an Apple Mac as I am starting a college course in basic photography in Sept they use Mac after reading all the comments on here it was the very last one by siejones that convinced me to forget it and wait till Sept and see how things go I have never used a Mac so was thinking of getting one just to get used to one Thanks to you all
Bob

:ty: :ty: Been thinking of getting an Apple Mac as I am starting a college course in basic photography in Sept they use Mac after reading all the comments on here it was the very last one by siejones that convinced me to forget it and wait till Sept and see how things go I have never used a Mac so was thinking of getting one just to get used to one Thanks to you all
Bob

Glad I can give you food for thought :) and sorry you had to sit through the first half of that post :shake:

I am not sure of your experiance with computers but although you want to get more advanced with photography do you want/need to be getting advanced in computers? My point in the analogy is that some people only want to use PS and the internet and email and music/video e.t.c and a Mac is perfect for them if they can justify the price difference. If you want to delve deeper and have more control and get more advanced with your computing then a PC is better suited and there are no restrictions as to what you can do with it.

My PC is on 24/7 running windows XP SP2. I run everything on it from you basic internet/email to PS to development/programming tools to top end 3D rendering packages and of coarse the occasional game or two ;) It is rock solid. It never crashes, locks or reboots it's self. I ever have to reboot for any reason unless of coarse I am installing some drivers or that kind of thing where I would expect to. If I install something that is buggy or causes issues I track down the cause and fix it. I can't remember the last time I had a virus or spyware and I very rarely update my virus checker or run a scan. Why? because I have the experiance and knowledge to know how to avoid such things.

I once handed my DSLR over to my sister and tried to explain the basics for her to have a go. She quickly became impatient and said "I don't want to know all that! I just want to press a button!". She went on to buy a little IXUS 5 compact and she is chuffed to bits with it and thinks it's tons better than my big expensive unecessary DSLR. I on the other hand could never go back to using just a compact.

Just don't get dragged into this Mac is better than PC rubbish as it's just utter garbage. If they said a Mac is better than a PC for me then that would probably be true. Nothing is truer and more quoted in many a computer dept than the saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" as I don't think it applies to anything better than computers.

Hope this helps (y)

Good god I remember having a similar argument when I was at school, regarding Amigas and Megadrives ;)

They both have their good points and their bad points. What suits one might not suit another.....Best thing anyone can do to answer this question is put down what they personally like and dislike about either, and others can do the same.

Horses for courses and everyone is different. There's no need to cry about it :D

Besides, Amiga's battered Megadrives all the way into the year 1995.

for me i have nothing against Macs but for shear range of software and utils I think a PC is far more versatile and can be just as fast as a Mac, plus you do tend to pay serious money for a decent Mac compared to what you can buy a Pc that is just as fast if not faster, an easier comparison now they both use the same processors.

Right of coarse being called a troll (regared as highly insulting on the net) which impliments me to others as the kind of person who just enters a thread with intent to argue and cause trouble is fine.

Bingo :D But personally, I think there are slightly more harsher things one can be called. I also feel your camera analogy is slightly incorrect given that an Intel Mac can do everything a PC can since they are basically identical machines. If you bought a Mac Pro and installed Windows on it isn't it a PC? PC architecture, PC operating system. Its a "PC". However they are a "PC" that has the ability to run Windows, Linux and OSX if need be. I'd say that could be an advantage that your average PC doesn't have. So I would say that they are just as much a DSLR as a PC is a DSLR according to your analogy. Just that they have an extra feature. Like a D200 with GPS. Not everyone may need it, but its an extra feature the 30D doesn't have. So, to bring more fanboys into the fight its more like comparing a 1D to a D2x. Which is better, a Canon OSX or a Nikon XP? :naughty:

Good to see some well reasoned arguments, just to clarify though, at no point would I ever put down or belittle Windows, I personally think that the fact that Microsoft can write an OS that works at all on the huge range of components that can be used to build PC's is nothing short of amazing.

My main advice is to get to try both systems, then choose which you're more comfortable with.

People keep going on that macs don't support left click all you have to do is by a different mouse i have the logitech it has left and right click and center wheel.
By a mac windows is crap

Watt have air-conditioner and windows OS have in common nether work well with windows open

Bingo :D But personally, I think there are slightly more harsher things one can be called.

Ahhh and you have just confirmed my point well done. Now you have just admitted to meaning what you said regardless of the smiley face which just goes to show who's really the troll here :D I wonder if I can now get away with hurling abuse and name calling at you now or maybe I don't have the friends in high places to get away with it ;)

I also feel your camera analogy is slightly incorrect given that an Intel Mac can do everything a PC can since they are basically identical machines. If you bought a Mac Pro and installed Windows on it isn't it a PC? PC architecture, PC operating system. Its a "PC". However they are a "PC" that has the ability to run Windows, Linux and OSX if need be. I'd say that could be an advantage that your average PC doesn't have. So I would say that they are just as much a DSLR as a PC is a DSLR according to your analogy. Just that they have an extra feature. Like a D200 with GPS. Not everyone may need it, but its an extra feature the 30D doesn't have. So, to bring more fanboys into the fight its more like comparing a 1D to a D2x. Which is better, a Canon OSX or a Nikon XP? :naughty:

Lol this has got to be the weakest argument I have ever seen on this subject. You are now saying the Mac has evolved so much that to become a proper rival to a PC it has very nearly become on. You have just said it yourself! So your saying the mac is now good because it's a PC and thats your argument? This is becoming laughably stupid :LOL:

Given this argument would it not be just as viable that a PC could run OSX? The hardwares the same you just said it yourself. Wouldn't that be hunky dorey! Not that I would want that fisher price OS anywhere near my machine.

Havn't we already had the argument before and didn't I point out then that all your beloved mac is running is a version of virtual PC that runs the other OS's. Didn't I also point out that that software originated on the PC. Selective memory?

So the PC could do this while the Mac (PC wanna be) was still chasing it's tail. Although PC users wouldn't want to run OSX cause windows does everything a Mac can do and a lot more besides. So wheres the extra feature that Mac has over PC again? Oop's

Lets just go down the hardware path shall we? If your motherboard or other such componants bite the dust. What's your coarse of action? Is it still to phone Apple who will charge you triple the price of a similar componant on a PC which you could pick at PC world or pretty much anywhere on the net? Then charge you a small fortune to fix it? I used to shiver at the prices charged by apple when we had to get them to fix Mac hardware at work. Do they still demand that only they can fix it? I remember one poor soul I knew that apple charged £400 to replace his motherboard! I mid range MB on the PC is only around £50 for god's sake.

Oh I could go on and on and on but it's really rather boring and I have had this argument too many times to care now. You will only read and believe what you want to believe but for god's sake stop trying to convince people who don't know any better that your nieve drivel is true. Most people on here give the balanced argument for both on here because there is a balanced argument to be made. Whay can't you?

People keep going on that macs don't support left click all you have to do is by a different mouse i have the logitech it has left and right click and center wheel.
By a mac windows is crap

Watt have air-conditioner and windows OS have in common nether work well with windows open

The left click issue as with most of the petty arguments made is a trivility that could have always been issued just as the same trivial arguments could be just as easily changed the other way around. If you really knew what you were talking about you would try and bring real issues to the argument. Do you see anyone here doing that? No! and why? because anyone who is experianced enough to that level computers knows better and is using a PC.

"A little knowledge........" :shake:

Most people on here give the balanced argument for both on here because there is a balanced argument to be made. Whay can't you?

Have you tried Lightroom? I switched from Aperture to Lightroom on OSX. Its available for Windows too which might save you some hassle. Lightroom does everything Aperture does and more imho.

:wave:

Good god I remember having a similar argument when I was at school, regarding Amigas and Megadrives ;)

Besides, Amiga's battered Megadrives all the way into the year 1995.

A smidge different I think ;)

I just wanted to put the poor misinformed user on the proper track but that of coarse upsets some people who have to make it personnel.

Amiga's ruled everything not just the games market. They were the best personnel computers of their day. It's main rival the Atart ST just didn't cut it. If there they had made better marketing decisions and had not released that awful CD console thingy I reacon they would have still had a strong presents today.

Love live the Amiga!

Just to put my own thoughts out there, not that anyone cares..

I use a Windows machine, and have done since I was about 4. Now, they are great machine, and are built to do everything! Gaming, office crap and media alike. However, they do have their downfalls. From my own experiences.. I have found Windows based machines to be rather tempermental, and they do have a habit of crashing. I do build my own computer and have many many many different specs and all that jobby, but I have found the Windows operating system to be, well.. no where near as good as OSX.

Now... When I turned 17, I started college, doing an IT course.. blah blah.. use Windows machines all day blah blah. I decided I needed a laptop! <insert research here>. I went on holiday with my family, 3 of which have macbook and I used them while over there, and after 2 weeks of use, I decided I wanted one, I was hooked.

OSX, is just so smooth compared to Windows, runs so well on the hardware provided. Everything availble on Windows is pretty much availalbe on OSX now, excluding games and stuff! However I do believe, this may change in the near future, keep your eyes open boys!

Now to the point.

I use my Mac, daily. I take it everywhere, I use it for everything. It does excatly what I need, absolutly perfectly, no crashes when processing a photo, no pussy footing about, it's perfect.

Good day.

Lol and that's your answer? So where's the balanced argument? You told him there was alternative software that could also run on a PC. Way to tell him about the advantages and disadvantages of either systems!

Glad you addressed my other point as well as you did the last time. Maybe you can remember them this time.

Just to put my own thoughts out there, not that anyone cares..

I use a Windows machine, and have done since I was about 4. Now, they are great machine, and are built to do everything! Gaming, office crap and media alike. However, they do have their downfalls. From my own experiences.. I have found Windows based machines to be rather tempermental, and they do have a habit of crashing. I do build my own computer and have many many many different specs and all that jobby, but I have found the Windows operating system to be, well.. no where near as good as OSX.

Now... When I turned 17, I started college, doing an IT course.. blah blah.. use Windows machines all day blah blah. I decided I needed a laptop! <insert research here>. I went on holiday with my family, 3 of which have macbook and I used them while over there, and after 2 weeks of use, I decided I wanted one, I was hooked.

OSX, is just so smooth compared to Windows, runs so well on the hardware provided. Everything availble on Windows is pretty much availalbe on OSX now, excluding games and stuff! However I do believe, this may change in the near future, keep your eyes open boys!

Now to the point.

I use my Mac, daily. I take it everywhere, I use it for everything. It does excatly what I need, absolutly perfectly, no crashes when processing a photo, no pussy footing about, it's perfect.

Good day.

Thanks for you input :)

Did you read my posts?

and I quote

My PC is on 24/7 running windows XP SP2. I run everything on it from you basic internet/email to PS to development/programming tools to top end 3D rendering packages and of coarse the occasional game or two It is rock solid. It never crashes, locks or reboots it's self. I ever have to reboot for any reason unless of coarse I am installing some drivers or that kind of thing where I would expect to. If I install something that is buggy or causes issues I track down the cause and fix it. I can't remember the last time I had a virus or spyware and I very rarely update my virus checker or run a scan. Why? because I have the experiance and knowledge to know how to avoid such things.

Sorry :shrug:

Lol and that's your answer? So where's the balanced argument? You told him there was alternative software that could also run on a PC. Way to tell him about the advantages and disadvantages of either systems!

Glad you addressed my other point as well as you did the last time. Maybe you can remember them this time.

If anyone has adopted a troll's attitude as of late it would be yourself and I see me making any kind of useful contribution to this thread will be met by the same type of attitude.

So here's me backing out so that petemc can have his own way and say again! Otherwise this is gonna get real heated :razz:

Sorry, but you're still here? :wave: On a more serious note, guess it was silly of me recommending he stick with his PC and use Lightroom instead of switching to a Mac for Aperture. You know, since that was his main reason for switching.

siejones, don't you just find that internet arguments are always the most fun? :p

Oh yeah... Pete, where's that photo of all the pro photographers with their Powerbooks? It's strange how the majority of pro photographers have Powerbooks/MacBooks and not PC's isn't it? I guess it's like most of them having Canon not Nikon :D hehe

No I didn't read your posts.

However, your quote has been read and all I can say is:

'In my own experiences.'

Just because YOUR Windows machine runs like a dream, and what not, doesn't mean that everyone else has the same experience. I stated in my post that is was from MY EXPERIENCES.

Foul play, sir.

Sorry, but you're still here? :wave: On a more serious note, guess it was silly of me recommending he stick with his PC and use Lightroom instead of switching to a Mac for Aperture. You know, since that was his main reason for switching.

I thought the backing down bit would give you your power trip enough to not respond with the same drivel you did last time and cause the same arguments to be again.

I'm sorry if I stick up for myself and the point's I have raised. Unlike a couple of other poor souls that have personnally contacted me on this very forum I won't back down to your shouting down's and getting abusive when you are proved wrong. Just how many argument's do you start on here Pete? Why are you the only one on here that is allowed an opinion?
I admire people with strong opinions/ beliefs but if they are to air them then they should also be prepared to be confronted for them and not throw there toys out the pram and stamp there feet when someone tells them they are wrong.

No balanced argument there which was my original point :bang:

No I didn't read your posts.

However, your quote has been read and all I can say is:

'In my own experiences.'

Just because YOUR Windows machine runs like a dream, and what not, doesn't mean that everyone else has the same experience. I stated in my post that is was from MY EXPERIENCES.

Foul play, sir.

Sorry but I wasn't being offensive rather I was stressing a point I had already made. :shrug:

It does not raise the question that if my windows machine and every other windows machine I have built and my windows machine at work all of which are maintained by me are stable as rock then maybe just maybe it may not windows that is the issue. Yes I gathered it was your experiances and I never questioned otherwise.

Well, maybe I'm just not very good with computer, but all of the Windows based machine, I use at

a) college
b) work

are pretty damn awful for what I pointed out. My own machines are more stable than a and b. However, no Windows machine I have used, has come anywhere close to the Mac. This is my opinion of course.

siejones... stop taking this all so seriously! Everyone else is having a bit of fun, and you seem to be taking it all so personally!

There will always be the Mac vs PC, Canon vs Nikon arguments, and no one will ever agree, so it's all a bit pointless :) It's all a matter of personal preference anyway, and i think a far number of people have put there points across without the need for essay length posts about trolling :p

PC have there uses... for me that's, .NET developing at work, and my media computer at home. Mac's for one do everything else i need, and just provide me with a far more enjoyable and less stressful experience. I'm sure others would be annoyed by them though, but that's life isn't it? If there was only ever one option it would all be boring and we'd probably have a dictatorship!

Ok so you're all for Windows over OSX and my first post was "Get Lightroom and stick with Windows" but of course, thats just me being a Mac fanboy with opinions that never change... However you're first post was trolltastic. That was very helpful, yes I'm sure the guy could have got a balanced point of view from

Must resist......must resist.....noooooooo...Mac, upgrade :LOL::LOL::LOL: ....no stop it :nono:

So which of us was the more helpful?

siejones, don't you just find that internet arguments are always the most fun? :p

Oh yeah... Pete, where's that photo of all the pro photographers with their Powerbooks? It's strange how the majority of pro photographers have Powerbooks/MacBooks and not PC's isn't it? I guess it's like most of them having Canon not Nikon :D hehe

Not sure how to take that first line :thinking:

I wish I could find the old thread addressing the same old issues but once again I will point out that pro photographers and pro PHOTOGRAPHERS and not pro I.T. yes? They are quick easy out the box we have already established this. The pro's only use the same old apps for there work flow and wouldn't be using them for anything else. They just want to do there workflow and that's it. Of coarse they will take the easy option. How the heck makes Mac's a better computers? :shake: I would however take note on what cameras and lenses they use yes?

Pro I.T people use PC's. I know a lot of them and I know not one of them that own a Mac. So what does this tell you?

Ok so you're all for Windows over OSX and my first post was "Get Lightroom and stick with Windows" but of course, thats just me being a Mac fanboy with opinions that never change... However you're first post was trolltastic. That was very helpful, yes I'm sure the guy could have got a balanced point of view from

So which of us was the more helpful?

Was't this the humour we are all talking about? The light hearted knock at the "other side"? that Mac users are allowed to do but get's me the responce of "Hi troll" ...who started with the troll attitude again? So if I find all the threads you have had countless pops at PC's and windows in would we count them as being a troll too? How can you still be here?

You do realise this is a photography forum don't you? :clap:

Hmm patronising clap there...you shouldn't be taking this so personnaly ;)

Wasn't the original post mac vs PC? Isn't that what this whole thing is about? Was I in another argument somewhere else?

I wish you lot would stop the personal abuse, they are computers THATS ALL, neither are perfect, everything is flawed in some way or other, just because what you currently have is fantastic doesnt mean it will be perfect for everybody else. This isnt aimed at any one person, its aimed at ALL of you.

Get a grip.

There have been some very useful posts from both camps, unfortunately some people cant resist slagging one or the other off, same as Canon v Nikon.

Kindly keep it civil, no personal stuff.

I have used all manner of computers for many years, my home pcs and work laptop all running XP SP2 never have issues, they do what i want them to, with no drama. I have been investigating a Macbook pro for myself, i still havent made my mind up, but will do so as and when i am happy it does what i want it to, not what anybody else uses it for.

Now where is my prozac and straight jacket

I completely agree IanC. I'm not taking any of this seriously as its just a computer. My Windows box has no issues, my Mac doesn't either. I kinda wish the digital age never happened so we weren't tied to these things. I wonder if cavemen argued over their fire being hotter than someone elses?

Hefty Dinosaur Reaction? :coat:

*ahem* Back to the OP's original topic then folks, Ian has the right idea & any comments not offering advice or being beneficial to the OP should be carefully considered before being posted (my amazingly terrible joke aside :LOL:)

I have a desktop Dell XPS and a Mac book Pro. I use the XPS for gaming (used very rarely) and the wife uses it for her e-mail and general browsing.

I do all my stuff on the Mac, that is e-mail, surfing, photo work (lightroom and photoshop), web design (dreamweaver) and video catalogs(idive).

One of the things that is rarely mentioned is the software for the mac which isn't available for the PC. There is a piece of software called i-dive which I have used to import, compress and organise 15 hours of camcorder tape into easily found clips. It is almost worth getting a mac for this software alone.

Another thing is creating MPEG videos from DVDs - Handbrake for the mac is free software that makes creating MPEG4 files for ipods, PSPs, and even mobile phones from DVDs incredibly easy. On the PC it is a pain in the neck.

I have also had fun creating comics from photos with Comic Life (comes free with the mac). ichat is much better than skype or msn messenger (only with other mac users though )

I'm told the music software bundled with the macs is also excellent - not my bag though...

Interestly or maybe not I read an article last year that according to benchmarks at the time, Apple's MacBook Pro running Windows XP is a better Adobe Photoshop rig than any other Core Duo laptop on the market. How's that for a mix :)

Apart from my inital post of a utube vid (which I found funny ;)) I've been watching this thread with amusement. Ppl getting heated and taking it too seriously, but generally people either have a mac or don't mind them much. I don't mind them but then I've not used a mac in 14 years !

I used an Apple Mac LC II 16mhz with 4mb (Ooooh b&w screens but it was still better than the pc's of the day) and I've been looking on the 'bay' for a old cheap mac g4/g5 (a macbook pro is just too expensive), just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm not even sure what I'll use if for but I'm sure i'll use it for something photography related. I've been using PC's since they didn't have harddrives (5.25 disks with an op sys on, ah the days :D) so pretty much PC'ed, even at work

So whilst I doubt I'll be converted to being mac only I can see the uses of both (well hopefully!)

...oh....wait....oh yes it is TP

Thought for a minute I was on DPREVIEW! :LOL:

I've always been a PC man myself and have always built my own...ever since the days of the old ZX80.

I do get frustrated with the anti-virus, firewall, drivers etc etc at times and have been thinking about a Mac for editing when out and about. I guess that until I've tried both I can't say which will be best.

I have a few friends that have recently made the switch and are very happy.

I do think that I will still prefer the PC....in a way I love the problem solving it brings!

I have read this string from the start.

Having come to the conclusion that no matter how I try to put down an experience, opinion or two it can be turned, moved off point or twisted (even that bit).

So my solution is this.

How, why or when the mac concept started may have been important once upon a time - not now I think.

Reliability can only be measured imperically on individual machines running side by side, doing same stuff, with the same abuse ete, etc - so it really can only be a 'how I found it to be' kind of statement.

Style - yes how it looks, feels,responds etc I think of as 'style'. So 'if' one or the other suit your style of doing things (work, play or porn) then really that should be the machine for you - Yes?
l
These 'electro-mechanical machines with a built in psuedo-intellectual control system' provide an interface on which we have (I hope) a creative input with the goal of an acceptable (to the creator) result.

To me it is that simple!

A small conclusion, covering as much as I can of the conundrum mac/pc.

IF you stick to what you have experienced, I think you would have to agree your knowledge base on which you make decisions were made would be pretty damn small, so from purely a 'want to get it right' perspective the opinions of others with experience must be a source to which it is better to listen than it is to shout down.

Your conclusions after taking time to listen, research and think will then have the same (if not more) weight than those who contributed to it.

My own conclusion was based on others opinions, my experience and a lot of time and money invested. It is no more valid than yours, yours or yours! In itself what I decided is for me only but, when I am asked (rarely) I hope my decision bears the weight it deserves (see above)...

Choose whichever you like, BUT make that choice from your own perspective PLUS the knowledge of others - it is your safest bet.

BUT PROBABLY WRONG !! :thinking:

PS - I am expecting this to be totally ignored !! :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back