PC World ***Warning***

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
I was passing PC world the other day and I decided to pop in for an emergency print cartridge. The one I use is 18.99 from 7 Day Shop and I bought one a while back from an office stationer at 25.99 so I thought the price at PC World would be somewhere in between.

Shock horror, the price was wait for it.....

41.99 Robbing bar stewards!!!!!!!!
Needless to say that I decided to wait and place an order with 7 Day Shop. :shake::shake:

A set of 6 ink cartridges for my Epson printer was £58.99 in PC World. The same set of cartridges was £20 cheaper across the road in the local Sainsburys!!!

yes but they can have their uses, a few months back I popped in after having trouble with a new PC I built and only having an XP sp0 boot disk and the Tech guys burnt me an XP sp2 disk on the spot for free (for use with my licence). Admittedly the print cart prices are mostly a joke but they do have the odd bargain...

Are you simple minded?

The other day I popped in to PC World, Purley Way, Croydon to find they were now selling things like washing machines, fridges, hoovers etc!!! I'm not joking! The adjacent Currys is being refurbished so they had temporarily moved in to PC World!!!

My local PC World has put the returns/help desk next to the tills. It's easy to judge the length of the returns queue, with customers holding various bits of kit, against the tills queue. It's a good way to judge customer satisfaction...

Last edited:
The other day I popped in to PC World, Purley Way, Croydon to find they were now selling things like washing machines, fridges, hoovers etc!!! I'm not joking! The adjacent Currys is being refurbished so they had temporarily moved in to PC World!!!
I know! I bought a Sony Vaio Laptop with built in Toaster and Dishwasher! LoL

Yeah i work for DSG and constantly sending feedback to head office that items such as Ink and Cat 5 leads are vastly overpriced however i get the same response all the time, "This is the strategy at the present time. Thank you ". Makes me wonder why they have a feedback system. On the plus side of it, they will price match it, and give 10% of the difference.

Yeah i work for DSG and constantly sending feedback to head office that items such as Ink and Cat 5 leads are vastly overpriced however i get the same response all the time, "This is the strategy at the present time. Thank you ". Makes me wonder why they have a feedback system. On the plus side of it, they will price match it, and give 10% of the difference.

So a 1m Belkin Cat 5 cable in PCW is £19.99 and I can pick up 1m Belkin Cat 5 cable in the 99p store, for wait for it 99p.
So will they price match it at 99p and give me back 10% of the difference, approx £1.90 ?

So a 1m Belkin Cat 5 cable in PCW is £19.99 and I can pick up 1m Belkin Cat 5 cable in the 99p store, for wait for it 99p.
So will they price match it at 99p and give me back 10% of the difference, approx £1.90 ?

If it's the same and you get a receipt, then presumably yes. Tell us how you get on and let's see if we can break their 'strategy'. :D

Graham

well thats what their price match policy says, it has to be exactly the same, so same make model etc. Obviously you are going a little silly there, expecting them to give you money back for buying a product. At the end of the day it's down to the manager. They may say they only match certain stores, but they can match anyone really, it depends on what is in it for them.

I tried to get PCWorld to price match a TFT display from Dixons & they refused :D

Yah Dixons are online only... depends on how different the price is, as i have known stores to match Dixons prices. As we are in a middle of a recession stores are on a bit of a discount ban. If the price difference is small, and the customer is buying things with the item, then there is a interest for them to do a price match, but if its just a single item, then there is no interest what so ever

Yah Dixons are online only... depends on how different the price is, as i have known stores to match Dixons prices. As we are in a middle of a recession stores are on a bit of a discount ban. If the price difference is small, and the customer is buying things with the item, then there is a interest for them to do a price match, but if its just a single item, then there is no interest what so ever

This was a few years back when Dixons had shops. My local store was doing a Samsung down from £299 to £199 but didn't have stock until the end of the week, the local PCworld had stock but wanted £299. I spoke to the manager and said you're the same company, why not price match ?

His reply was......

"Ford & Volvo are the same company but their cars are different prices "

:wacky:

I can't remember the last time I bought a full priced product from pc world. Things like ink are the equivalent of memory cards in jessops. It's the bits people need and are advised to buy when they buy a new printer for example. They rely on people not having a clue of the price anywhere else.

there is a price matching policy for Dixons and PCworld, and other stores....
it's based upon supply and demand....

the store needs to be within 10 miles or something and the item needs to be in stock....
so why would he price match something that he had in his store and no-one else could provide on your timescale.

as for ink prices, the largest margin generators in PCW are belkin and norton.
USB cables are a joke in PCworld but that's how they make money on cheap printers.
ink carts, well you can get bargains, collect at store etc.
but the mark up on ink is what keeps the whole thing in business and by the same tone, allows smaller competitors to also remain in business by undercutting PCW etc.
market forces..
the HP black mini carts, which are a rip off in themselves, were £/ml more expensive than snake anti venom.....daft isn't it

Do PCworld still price match and then refund 10%?

It hasn't been unknown to go into pc world and buy a load of ink cartidges knowing they could be had cheaper, then go straight from the till to the customer services for a proce match and end up getting them cheaper than anywhere else. :LOL:

Thats business!

Yea true, i work in wholesale and i know that the markup on some things are so far fetched it's madness, I know they have to pay staff and rates e.c.t, That a majority of online shop's don't have too pay,
but it mainly comes down to GREED on there part they have always been like it and always will, when i got a printer they asked me if i wanted the the usb cable to go with it for £15!!! when i can get them at work for a £1.

Do PCworld still price match and then refund 10%?

It hasn't been unknown to go into pc world and buy a load of ink cartidges knowing they could be had cheaper, then go straight from the till to the customer services for a proce match and end up getting them cheaper than anywhere else. :LOL:

Yes and no, they will price match and then give you 10% of the difference, ie if you buy something for £1000 and find it for £900, then there is £100 difference, 10% of that is £10, so they will take £110 off the £1000 you paid.

The bum side of this, is even staff are subject to this, and if someone is offering a product for cheaper elsewhere we are subject to the terms of the price match or we can have staff discount, but not both.

Back