Peak Design AL3 anchor recall

I'm thinking of buying a PD Slide and PD Slite Lite - are they likely to need their anchors replaced?

Or are replacements only required for older items and not current stocks?

Thanks
I suppose it depends on how long the straps have been in stock. I think they only started producing the V4 a month or so back. You'd need to ask the supplier.

Am I right I’m thinking the V2s are not affected and it’s only the V1s and V3s that are affected by the issue? The recall didn’t seem to have any proof of purchase or need to return the affected anchors to receive the updated V4s. I can see this recall potentially being abused. What’s to stop anyone saying they have the affected anchors or more than they actually have it there is no proof required and it’s relying on people honest/good nature?

Am I right I’m thinking the V2s are not affected and it’s only the V1s and V3s that are affected by the issue? The recall didn’t seem to have any proof of purchase or need to return the affected anchors to receive the updated V4s. I can see this recall potentially being abused. What’s to stop anyone saying they have the affected anchors or more than they actually have it there is no proof required and it’s relying on people honest/good nature?
They rely on people being as honest as they have in stating there is a potential problem.

As far as I know it's only V3 that have seen any degradation, You'd need to read their recall notice carefully.

I'm thinking of buying a PD Slide and PD Slite Lite - are they likely to need their anchors replaced?

Or are replacements only required for older items and not current stocks?

Thanks
PD are saying stock bought from their website will have the V4 anchors but stock in other stores will most likely be affected.

I bought a slide strap yesterday from Carmarthen cameras shop. They didn’t know about the recall but it’s not really a problem as it only affects certain camera lugs and the failure rate is quite low too. The strap I bought did come with the affected V3 anchors but it was easy to complete the recall and order some V4 replacements.

Last edited:
They rely on people being as honest as they have in stating there is a potential problem.

Their honesty and the way they are handling it was one of the deciding factors that’s actually pushed me to buy the slide strap after sitting on the fence for the last 3 months. It’s refreshing that a company is acting so good and not hiding from it, I just hope everyone returns the favour and doesn’t take advantage of them for it. For me it’s a big and a new customer for them so all good really.

As far as I know it's only V3 that have seen any degradation, You'd need to read their recall notice carefully.
Their anchor survey tool is what I used, it’s quite easy to use but potentially a little misleading. It seems any straps purchased before 5th August 2017 shouldn’t be affected but in the next section it seems they will replace any V1 (potentially 3+ years old so would have been with a strap purchased before August 3017) or V3 anchors. V2 anchors seem not to be affected as they are of the same material as the V4 anchors.

Last edited:
I was in Clifton Cameras last week and it looked like they still had old stock, and one of the staff didn't know there'd been a change in style of anchor.

Think it depends on how old the stock is.

I suppose it depends on how long the straps have been in stock. I think they only started producing the V4 a month or so back. You'd need to ask the supplier.

PD are saying stock bought from their website will have the V4 anchors but stock in other stores will most likely be affected.

I bought a slide strap yesterday from Carmarthen cameras shop. They didn’t know about the recall but it’s not really a problem as it only affects quite camera lugs and the failure rate is quite low too. The strap I bought did come with the affected V3 anchors but it was easy to complete the recall and order some V4 replacements.

Thank you everyone.

No harm in asking.

I have emailed them to see what they say. Not going to be unfair and claim pretending I have V3 anchors

When you fill out the form, they only ask how many you need. I had 2 x sets of the V2 and 1 set of V3, on the form I stated I needed 6 of the new V4. They sent out 2 x packs of the new anchors, so 8 anchors in total.

I had noticed that but wondered if they would want the old ones back so have emailed asking.

Well Peak Design replied to my email and sent me the link to order up some V4 ones so I have submitted an application for a new set.

Last edited:
Sorry Dave but I don't quite understand what problem you're trying to fix? The replacement anchors are supplied with new split rings because, as you quite rightly say, the thicker cord will not go through many eyelets. If it's the triangular "ring" you don't like, why not just replace it with a circular one? Personally I think that the way PD have dealt with this issue, which has only occurred a very few number of times, is exemplary. I presume you were aware of the design of fixing before you bought the strap?

I have emailed them to see what they say. Not going to be unfair and claim pretending I have V3 anchors

I had noticed that but wondered if they would want the old ones back so have emailed asking.

Well Peak Design replied to my email and sent me the link to order up some V4 ones so I have submitted an application for a new set.

I believe PD were also suggesting anyone with V1 anchors get them replaced as well. Pretty sure i saw it in one of their videos.

Last edited:
Just had an email to say my replacements were shipped on 12th July. Currently the tracking shows them in San Fransisco. I’m impressed they’re shipping individually from the US, that must be costing quite a bit to do. I wonder how it compares to bulk shipping to the UK and distribution from there.

Last edited:
Just had an email to say my replacements were shipped on 12th July. Currently the tracking shows them in San Fransisco. I’m impressed they shipping individually from the US, that must be costing quite a bit to do. I wonder how it compares to bulk shipping to the UK and distribution from there.
Interesting. Mine arrived before the tracking information, so I never did find out where they originated. But I’m sure it was UK as there were no “foreign” labels on the envelope.

Just had the tracking email....mine were shipped 12th July and are sitting in San Francisco right now

Ordered mine on the 18th June and not received them still?

Email says 1-2 weeks for international delivery.. anyone know roughly how long theirs took to come?
They run out of the first batch. Looks like orders from around 16th June are just starting to be shipped. I guess you will get a shipping confirmation email sometime soon.

Just had the tracking email....mine were shipped 12th July and are sitting in San Francisco right now
Looks they will be on the same plane as mine :)

Received the pack of V4 anchors today. Much bigger cord than the V3s so I definitely more confidence in these (though the V3s would probably be ok for my use too- no sharp edges that I can see).

Interesting. Mine arrived before the tracking information, so I never did find out where they originated. But I’m sure it was UK as there were no “foreign” labels on the envelope.
Maybe the first batch were shipped from the UK and since running out they are shipping from the US until they are restocked over here. The label on mine definitely said San Fransisco so they have come quite a distance for what are four small anchors.

I had an e-mail acknowledgement to my request for replacement anchors on 30th June.

I've not heard anything since.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from PD after nearly a month?

I had an e-mail acknowledgement to my request for replacement anchors on 30th June.

I've not heard anything since.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from PD after nearly a month?
Mine took just over a month to come. Placed order 16th June and received 18th July. I think they are just getting through the backlog of orders and it’s taking a while to do.

It may help @Uncle Fester know when you placed the order. They seem to be working through the backlog by the date the request was received.

Sorry, I ordered mine on the 17th June and received shipping confirmation email on the 22nd July and delivered on the 26th July.

It may help @Uncle Fester know when you placed the order. They seem to be working through the backlog by the date the request was received.

Sorry, I ordered mine on the 17th June and received shipping confirmation email on the 22nd July and delivered on the 26th July.

I got my acknowledgement from PD quite quickly; a day or so after I filled in the online form. It would have been around the 28th or 29th June; so about a month ago now.

Hopefully based on the above I won't have much longer to wait ....

Last edited:
Back