Peak District Info.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello One and All,
I'm looking to possibly go to the Peak Districk and I'm wondering on the colour and state of the trees there. Have they turned colour yet?
Have all the leaves fallen yet, thinking of the recent srong winds.

And any one have the precise location of Roaches End Barn. I have tried googling but it just says it's at the end of the Roaches, Cant't turn up and hope to get the correct place in the dark.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Pete

Hi Pete, leaves and foliage patchy to be honest. Some places are bare already due to the winds, as you mention, but I haven’t been over to the East yet (Padley gorge etc.).
Roach end barn: Drive to Roach End either from crossroads near Winking Man pub or Upper Hulme and park in obvious places right on the end of the ‘loop’, where the road turns back on itself. From here walk 100m down the road towards Tittesworth / the Roaches direction and you will see a fingerpost pointing along a track to the left. In daylight the barn is in clear view on this track. Hope that helps!

Hi Pete, leaves and foliage patchy to be honest. Some places are bare already due to the winds, as you mention, but I haven’t been over to the East yet (Padley gorge etc.).
Roach end barn: Drive to Roach End either from crossroads near Winking Man pub or Upper Hulme and park in obvious places right on the end of the ‘loop’, where the road turns back on itself. From here walk 100m down the road towards Tittesworth / the Roaches direction and you will see a fingerpost pointing along a track to the left. In daylight the barn is in clear view on this track. Hope that helps!

Hi Mick, That confirms I had it marked at the wrong place, I thought it was 1.5 miles away. I have it now at
53.175775 -2.006796. It looks like you park at Bearstone Rocks as marked on Google maps.

I had a quick look in the other morning, surprise view is mostly empty of leaves, some left on the silver birches but not many - what is there is yellow and orange.

Padley Gorge has more leaves, probably as it's sheltered. Alot of them are still pretty green tho!

I had a quick look in the other morning, surprise view is mostly empty of leaves, some left on the silver birches but not many - what is there is yellow and orange.

Padley Gorge has more leaves, probably as it's sheltered. Alot of them are still pretty green tho!

Thanks for the update Stu. I might visit the peaks on Wednesday, see how the weather looks closer to the time.

Thanks for the update Stu. I might visit the peaks on Wednesday, see how the weather looks closer to the time.
Obviously there is so many other areas, but I'm only getting to know the peaks and starting with the obvious ones before I delve further... Good luck!

I did go to the Peaks on Wednesday, where I was (The Roaches) the leaves had mostly gone, but not many trees compared to Padley Gorge.

And any one have the precise location of Roaches End Barn. I have tried googling but it just says it's at the end of the Roaches, Cant't turn up and hope to get the correct place in the dark.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Pete

Hi Pete

You can find the barn and hundreds of other Peak locations in our book at https://www.fotovue.com/news/announcements/have-a-look-inside-the-peak-district-book/

I've just increased the Talk Photography discount - use tpfv at the check out - to 20% off (and free shipping), off of all our existing books, except pre-orders for forthcoming titles.

all the best,

Mick

Hi Mick

I have the book, got a signed copy preordered and delivered on the first day.
I had to use it, OS maps and Google maps on Satelite view & street view to find the barn, the co-ordinates for the roaches section are at the wrong end. Never having been there and arriving before sun rise and in the event in thick cloud i'm glad I put the effort in to locate the barn precisely.

see https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/i-can-see-clearly-now.665746/

Hi Mick

I have the book, got a signed copy preordered and delivered on the first day.
I had to use it, OS maps and Google maps on Satelite view & street view to find the barn, the co-ordinates for the roaches section are at the wrong end. Never having been there and arriving before sun rise and in the event in thick cloud i'm glad I put the effort in to locate the barn precisely.

see https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/i-can-see-clearly-now.665746/

Thanks for that and apologies. I've marked that up and will get it corrected.

Just checked.

The co-ordinates supplied in the How to get there in the Roaches chapter (page 246) are correct.

53.156294,-1.995411 - this is for the main Roaches parking.

The description for the barn from that point are correct.

Roach End Barn

At the northern end of the Roaches Ridge at Roach End there is an old abandoned farm that is now elegantly tumbledown and very photogenic. By car drive north along the road from the Roaches Gate parking for 1.5 miles, the farm and its barn is in the field south of the junction. There is limited parking at the junction.

Roach End Barn is one of the most photographed Peak District locations and thankfully there is more than enough Access Land hereabouts to allow the photographer to explore. It is best at sunset at most times of the year.

At this junction a paved path ascends the ridge from Roach End toward the Roaches summit . The walker passes among huge, weathered gritstone pinnacles which offer a great foreground for compositions facing west and looking toward the cleft in the hills formed by the River Dane as it flows out of the Peak, past the sharp profile of Bosley Cloud and out to join the River Trent at Middlewich.

-------------------

What we can do is add more co-ordinates in the second edition.

All the best,

Mick

Back