Pedal Power Thread

A friend of mine has a london road in that "green" colour as his winter bike, he loves it

@Buck , the power meter is great! Now I can back up how crap I am with numbers :D

I can't believe that you guys have let me read this thread for over 3 years without letting on how much fun a road bike is and telling me straight that I should be getting one! :mad: Maybe one of the mods could go back and edit the first post to say "If riding on road, get a road bike. If riding off road, get a mountain bike. Simples"

I'm totally smitten and have started enjoying cycling again and looking for ways to get more miles in (around family life and work so not that easy).

"If riding on road, get a road bike. If riding off road, get a mountain bike. Simples"

I might be tempted to post "If riding on road, get a road bike, if riding off road, get a cyclocross bike, if doing circus stunts or hurling yourself down mountains and trail-parks, get a mountain bike..."

I don't need numbers for that lol

I don't need a power meter to tell me how crap I am on a MTB either, the collection of x-rays, assorted ironmongery in various bones, and the extended collection of scar tissue pretty much points that out to me...

I'm actually ok on the skill part of MTB just not got any fitness although I have been known to fall off lol

p5pb12191888.jpg

Looks nasty Dod, hopefully it can be fixed cheaper than it looks :)

t
got the bike back today, bill could have been worse but the really disappointing thing is that the rear wheel can't really be trued properly. Out once and if not knackered, pretty close. :mad: Hey ho, time to shop again :D

Some of my biggest injuries on bikes have been at walking speeds with both wheels on the floor.

picked up a pair of these online for a decent price. Let's see if I can get more than one ride out of them this time

https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/Road-Wheels/R-20-DICUT

Nice... I still sort of miss the old-school wheels with a "normal" spoke count of 28 or 32 though... in fact I'm still sorely tempted to get myself some Hope Hoops like these - basically, because everything's standard components - Mavic Open Pro Rims, Sapim spokes - and worst case scenario, I can just buy a new rim and spokes and re-lace the damned things myself... Not something i'd like to try with a 20H rear, or some ludicrious radial spoked 16H front - mainly because of the tensions involved on them...

(not that there's anything necessarily wrong with "factory" wheels - my Ultegra's on the Dolan have been pretty much rock solid - not only in terms of not going out of round or true, but in the handling and lack of flex - if I can't make the back-brake buzz riding up Buttertubs, then the wheels are pretty damned flex-free...)

Aye, there's a lot to be said for user maintenance. I'm putting my last set in to get a new rim and respoked but it's not something I'd try to do myself.

That's tragic. A tiny amount of consolation that it sounds like he died doing something he so clearly loved :(

Nice... I still sort of miss the old-school wheels with a "normal" spoke count of 28 or 32 though... in fact I'm still sorely tempted to get myself some Hope Hoops like these - basically, because everything's standard components - Mavic Open Pro Rims, Sapim spokes - and worst case scenario, I can just buy a new rim and spokes and re-lace the damned things myself... Not something i'd like to try with a 20H rear, or some ludicrious radial spoked 16H front - mainly because of the tensions involved on them...

(not that there's anything necessarily wrong with "factory" wheels - my Ultegra's on the Dolan have been pretty much rock solid - not only in terms of not going out of round or true, but in the handling and lack of flex - if I can't make the back-brake buzz riding up Buttertubs, then the wheels are pretty damned flex-free...)

My Open Pro 105 are lighter than a lot of comparatively priced factory wheels and lasted much longer than my riding buddies factory wheels, though I built them my self so that probably helped the price. But low spoke wheels do look much cooler especially on a slick road bike.

can someone answer the great unsolved mystery of the universe for me PLEEEAAASE?

What bloody spacers do I use with a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed wheel. I'm finding some places saying I need the one that came with the wheel plus the one with the cassette. Some that say the one that came with the wheel and others saying the one that came with the cassette. :confused::confused:

Doesn't it depend on how the cassette aligns with the front ring(s)?

can someone answer the great unsolved mystery of the universe for me PLEEEAAASE?

What bloody spacers do I use with a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed wheel. I'm finding some places saying I need the one that came with the wheel plus the one with the cassette. Some that say the one that came with the wheel and others saying the one that came with the cassette. :confused::confused:

Well, from the shimano techdoc's site, referring to the manual for the ultegra level 11 speed wheels ( http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-WH0002-07-ENG.pdf ) , you use the 1mm spacer AND the 1.85mm one with 10 speed cassettes UNLESS you're fitting a Tiagra (Cs-4600 model no) in which case you only need the 1.85mm one.

Of course, DT Swiss hubs may have their own way of working...

ETA: actually, the "manual" in the "support" section of the DT Swiss website you linked to, simply says "assemble cassette as per manufacturers specifications" - so I'd go with what I typed above, 11s hub, 10s cassette, use both spacers, thick one nearest the spokes.

Doesn't it depend on how the cassette aligns with the front ring(s)?

No, it's all about the cassette not sliding about on the splined fittings because the 11 speed cassette is actually wider than the 10, and therefore the 10s needs "shimming" at the rear of the cassette if fitted to a 11s compatible hub system.

Last edited:
Reactions: dod
this popped up in my Facebook Feed yesterday, and I thought I'd just share it with you lot... Anyone who uses Wiggle for their cycling bits and pieces knows that they often add a little "extra" into the box...

Wiggle.jpg

Makes you think how many boxes they're shipping doesn't it...

I love the bonus bag of Haribo that Wiggle pop in!
There's normally some sort of energy tablet type thing that I never know what to do with too.

There's normally some sort of energy tablet type thing that I never know what to do with too.

ah yes the "high 5" alka-seltzer look-alike. Actually, they're pretty good to take along on longer rides in the summer - if you run out of drinks, just buy a litre of water from shop, pour 750ml (ok, assuming you're using the 750ml bottles of course) into your Bidon, add one of those tablets and you've at least got all the electrolytes to replace the sweat...

Well, from the shimano techdoc's site, referring to the manual for the ultegra level 11 speed wheels ( http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-WH0002-07-ENG.pdf ) , you use the 1mm spacer AND the 1.85mm one with 10 speed cassettes UNLESS you're fitting a Tiagra (Cs-4600 model no) in which case you only need the 1.85mm one.

Of course, DT Swiss hubs may have their own way of working...

ETA: actually, the "manual" in the "support" section of the DT Swiss website you linked to, simply says "assemble cassette as per manufacturers specifications" - so I'd go with what I typed above, 11s hub, 10s cassette, use both spacers, thick one nearest the spokes.
Thanks, I was looking through the instructions for the cassettes instead of the wheels and couldn't find that

ah yes the "high 5" alka-seltzer look-alike. Actually, they're pretty good to take along on longer rides in the summer - if you run out of drinks, just buy a litre of water from shop, pour 750ml (ok, assuming you're using the 750ml bottles of course) into your Bidon, add one of those tablets and you've at least got all the electrolytes to replace the sweat...
Aha thanks, maybe I should stick them in my saddle bag then (rather than the back of the cupboard in the garage!)

I love the bonus bag of Haribo that Wiggle pop in!

Just check that they're not the sugar free version - they have some rather nasty side effects, especially if you're on a long ride! (Haribos, that is, not the energy tablets.)

Just check that they're not the sugar free version - they have some rather nasty side effects, especially if you're on a long ride! (Haribos, that is, not the energy tablets.)
Oh yeah I remember reading the Amazon reviews for the Haribo sugar-free gummy bears they're hilarious!

this popped up in my Facebook Feed yesterday, and I thought I'd just share it with you lot... Anyone who uses Wiggle for their cycling bits and pieces knows that they often add a little "extra" into the box...

View attachment 56128

Makes you think how many boxes they're shipping doesn't it...

Well I'd better get some hairdo this time then! My last two wiggle orders have been devoid of the sugary goodness.

In other news I'm currently top miles of this week's TP Strava charts :)
I'm only saying it today though as I know that a lot of you guys do long weekend rides so I won't be top for long! But it's my first >100mile week in quite a few months, I'm loving my new bike!

Well I'd better get some hairdo this time then! My last two wiggle orders have been devoid of the sugary goodness.
to be honest I bin them if I get them, can't stand them :(

Save them until late October and give them to the menacing beggars...

Nah, I just retreat to my pooter room and leave the lights off! Little bits think i'm out then

Strange day yesterday. Legs were recovering from a gym session and I'd been out on Saturday night. Not particularly boozy but didn't get to bed till about 1.30AM.

It was horrible from about 30K, just felt like I'd nothing in the tank at all, every climb was a grind. Two of us cut off from the group at about 60K which would have meant me doing about 80 by the time I got home but going through the town I had a blow out while crossing oncoming traffic. Coasted in to the side and it turned out the side wall of the tyre had gone which was a bit of a problem, brand new tyre as well :( As luck would have it a guy heard the bang when the tyre went, came out of the house and, as a fellow cyclist, offered me a lift home. :D Going back to the shop with the tyre at lunchtime to see what could have caused the blow out.

Back