Pedal Power Thread

Depending on what kind of fit the shop does. How much do you want to spend?
I would search locally for a shop that does the Retul fit. You get a few options, the basic one is a 2d fit which is the same kind of thing most places do, their next level up is the 3d fit, takes about 2.5 hours (costs a bit more, but fit is done with computer help and it gives the fitter more scope to get your fit correct. This is what I did).

Just spoke to the LBS and they do a base fit for £60,will speak to them tomorrow as I'm going in to try some shoes on.

:thinking:

Are your stem bolts right?

right ?

bolt is one that was there since beginning...

if it gets loose tomorrow, I will check bolt tread but it seemed fine

I have booked bike for elite service at halfords, and they will strip whole bike, clean it and adjust.
maybe they will find something...

right ?

bolt is one that was there since beginning...

if it gets loose tomorrow, I will check bolt tread but it seemed fine

I have booked bike for elite service at halfords, and they will strip whole bike, clean it and adjust.
maybe they will find something...

Elite and Halfords can those two words possibly go in the same sentence :D

Elite and Halfords can those two words possibly go in the same sentence :D

I was really happy after service they done to my bike last time.

And for the money, I doubt I would find a place that would strip whole bike, clean it and adjust all for same ££.

I was really happy after service they done to my bike last time.

And for the money, I doubt I would find a place that would strip whole bike, clean it and adjust all for same ££.

I'm maybe just unlucky and got a bum deal then

Got the winter wiggle order today. For my first two sets of bibs. Tried them on and wife laughed. Comfy though. Also got a castelli gabba. Will need a change in the weather to try it out but it looks like an awesome bit of kit. Ready for winter commute and my new hobby, audax!

Got the winter wiggle order today. For my first two sets of bibs. Tried them on and wife laughed. Comfy though. Also got a castelli gabba. Will need a change in the weather to try it out but it looks like an awesome bit of kit. Ready for winter commute and my new hobby, audax!

Ah, the "Mexican Wrestler" look Bibs... can't whack 'em IMO, okay, they look dumb off the bike, but that's par for the course with pretty much all the kit.

And as for the other bit of kit - well - all I can say about the Gabba is - it's the single best bit of cycling kit i've bought since the introduction of Lycra shorts instead of the old wool-acrylic ones... I love it to bits - to the extent that I've now got a (semi) matching pair - the short sleeved and the Long sleeve version. SS is brilliant coupled with the Castelli Nanoflex armwarmers on days that start cool and damp but warm up but maybe a bit showery. The LS is fantastic for the wintery stuff - though I'll admit, as i've got the black version, it could be a little more conspicuous (I usually throw an old light coloured shirt over it!)

Ah, the "Mexican Wrestler" look Bibs... can't whack 'em IMO, okay, they look dumb off the bike, but that's par for the course with pretty much all the kit.

And as for the other bit of kit - well - all I can say about the Gabba is - it's the single best bit of cycling kit i've bought since the introduction of Lycra shorts instead of the old wool-acrylic ones... I love it to bits - to the extent that I've now got a (semi) matching pair - the short sleeved and the Long sleeve version. SS is brilliant coupled with the Castelli Nanoflex armwarmers on days that start cool and damp but warm up but maybe a bit showery. The LS is fantastic for the wintery stuff - though I'll admit, as i've got the black version, it could be a little more conspicuous (I usually throw an old light coloured shirt over it!)

I got the bright yellow one as it is mainly for commuting. I also like to look conspicuous!

I've got a "thing" about yellow I'm afraid - even my higher visibility stuff is either red or orange - it's just been a unlucky colour for me - same as green bikes - i've been hospitalized twice whilst out on the bike - both times on green bikes wearing yellow hi-viz...

I know it's a stupid superstition thing, but who eveer said irrational fears had to be rational.

It's a nuisance really, as the only local club that actually runs "slower, no-man-left behind" clubruns that I could keep up with has a black white and yellow club strip and I just can't bring myself to join 'em :shrug:

I've got a "thing" about yellow I'm afraid - even my higher visibility stuff is either red or orange - it's just been a unlucky colour for me - same as green bikes - i've been hospitalized twice whilst out on the bike - both times on green bikes wearing yellow hi-viz...

I know it's a stupid superstition thing, but who eveer said irrational fears had to be rational.

It's a nuisance really, as the only local club that actually runs "slower, no-man-left behind" clubruns that I could keep up with has a black white and yellow club strip and I just can't bring myself to join 'em :shrug:

Sounds perfectly fair to me! ;)

I also got a red long sleeve torm top. It's quite snug but a nice bit of sport wool.

Show us what bibs you bought :)
I think I will use my leg warmers with my usual shorts.
Might look for warmer top...

Neil, spacer arrived...envelope was sealed by royal mail stating it got opened,damaged lol...

Show us what bibs you bought :)
I think I will use my leg warmers with my usual shorts.
Might look for warmer top...

Neil, spacer arrived...envelope was sealed by royal mail stating it got opened,damaged lol...

Dhb ones from wiggle. Aeron pro shorts and vaeon roubaix longs. Very comfy when tried on and £100 for the 2.

Well,had the fitting done and what a difference;had to have a shorter stem as I had got the frame size wrong:bonk:(also Ridley frames come up bigger than some others apparently).He was pretty happy how I looked in the end though and said that it just meant that there's not so much seat tube showing,though it makes it look more old school.

Had a quick spin around after and felt more comfortable and also felt easier with the cleated shoes(only nearly fell off once!);will tr and get out tomorrow for a longer run in the morning(afternoon's going to be spent sat on me arse watching motogp and wsbk).

One thought after all this is despite probably paying more and possibly getting a lower specced bike I would probably have been better off getting the bike from them in the first place,live and learn I suppose;will possibly(if i find I'm riding a lot) get a frame/fork combo next year in the right size and sell the Ridley as a frameset.

Oh and a quick question;anybody use the garmin edge 200 at all?

Well,had the fitting done and what a difference;had to have a shorter stem as I had got the frame size wrong:bonk:(also Ridley frames come up bigger than some others apparently).He was pretty happy how I looked in the end though and said that it just meant that there's not so much seat tube showing,though it makes it look more old school.

Had a quick spin around after and felt more comfortable and also felt easier with the cleated shoes(only nearly fell off once!);will tr and get out tomorrow for a longer run in the morning(afternoon's going to be spent sat on me arse watching motogp and wsbk).

One thought after all this is despite probably paying more and possibly getting a lower specced bike I would probably have been better off getting the bike from them in the first place,live and learn I suppose;will possibly(if i find I'm riding a lot) get a frame/fork combo next year in the right size and sell the Ridley as a frameset.

Oh and a quick question;anybody use the garmin edge 200 at all?

I have bike from Ribble and wonder if I got my frame right ... :)

but at the moment have no ££ for bike fitting to find out ;)

1st proper ride and all good kept a nice cadence and didn't fall off getting the cleats off:LOL: Only 11 miles but it's a start and I felt ok with no aches or badly out of breath;only pain was the fen headwind on the way back.

I have bike from Ribble and wonder if I got my frame right ... :)

but at the moment have no ££ for bike fitting to find out ;)

Get a photo of yourself on your bike, ideally with feet horizontal and then vertical. Won't be spot on, but some on here should be able to give you an idea.

When you have a pedal at the bottom, how much of a bend is there in your knee?

Finally a couple of pics of the bike;

9667179054_b1f2783aa2_c.jpg

9667179420_90f7fd7a76_c.jpg

Oh and first clipless fall tonight,hopefully got that out the way now:LOL:

Also now know why it's a bit bigger than I thought;apparently Ridley frames are a bit bigger than norm:shrug: and I misread the sizing table.Anyway it fits ok after the visit to the LBS and I'll have to live with it now;well until the look of the tiny stem annoys me enough:LOL:

Morning guys
My morning commute to work is approaching dark hours so I am looking to buy a set of lights for my bike that won't break the bank.

I'm thinking of anything with a cree LED or similar for the front light(s).
Anyone got any recommendations.

Oh dear, I seem to have inadvertently slipped and purchased a Cyclocross Bike... I've been thinking for a while that i've been totally "overbiked" for anything offroad around home with the MTB - seeing as it was built to survive the 28stone version of me from 2 years ago hooning down Peak District descents... total overkill (not to mention being about 10lb too heavy) for riding around bridleways and the occasional towpath or sustrans route...

So, I just ordered one of these...

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLS105/planet_x_xls_shimano_105_cyclocross_bike

I'm thinking for the summer, it'll be my "mixed route" ride - bit of road, bit of towpath, across the occasional golfcourse... then in winter, stick some Vittoria Open Corsa Pave CG'ss on it, set of 'guards and ride it as a winter hack.

That's a beauty of a bike. I would really fancy one of those myself, I just can't bring myself (at the moment) to spend that much on a bike:crying:

Morning guys
My morning commute to work is approaching dark hours so I am looking to buy a set of lights for my bike that won't break the bank.

I'm thinking of anything with a cree LED or similar for the front light(s).
Anyone got any recommendations.
I'm looking to get some new lights too so I'm looking forward to hearing some recommendations.
Those cree ones seem to be raved about by the off-road riders but I think they are probably a bit overkill for the road. I'm also not too sure about having a separate battery pack adding bulk to the bike (and my bike is no weight weenie).

I just wanted something relatively cheap and sturdy that'd save me ruining the expensive one riding it in winter...
:LOL: That's just like cameras where you think the first one you buy was really expensive and then your eyes are opened up to a whole new world where everything is x10 more expensive than you'd ever dreamt :LOL:

Pretty much, yep. In fairness, I've been riding so long that I've sort of established where the "quality cut-off" for my level of mileage and riding intensity is... Certainly there's nothing wrong with the "entry level" groupsets, but generally, they're really not intended for people riding probably 10,000 miles a year (especially ones that are of my build :LOL:) - I've chewed through sora level components in less than a single season... for me 105's pretty much the lower limit, and Ultegra the top end (I don't race, and I'm not sponsored, so DA is out of the frame - and Campag is lovely, but my OCD would start playing up if I didn't put it on an Italian (or handbuilt Mercian/Bob Jackson) frame)

That's a beauty of a bike. I would really fancy one of those myself, I just can't bring myself (at the moment) to spend that much on a bike:crying:

I'm looking to get some new lights too so I'm looking forward to hearing some recommendations.
Those cree ones seem to be raved about by the off-road riders but I think they are probably a bit overkill for the road. I'm also not too sure about having a separate battery pack adding bulk to the bike (and my bike is no weight weenie).

I was looking at the ones with the big battery (looks like a AA on steroids) that come with a wall charger as I don't fancy any battery packs on the frame either.

Pretty much, yep. In fairness, I've been riding so long that I've sort of established where the "quality cut-off" for my level of mileage and riding intensity is... Certainly there's nothing wrong with the "entry level" groupsets, but generally, they're really not intended for people riding probably 10,000 miles a year (especially ones that are of my build :LOL:) - I've chewed through sora level components in less than a single season... for me 105's pretty much the lower limit, and Ultegra the top end (I don't race, and I'm not sponsored, so DA is out of the frame - and Campag is lovely, but my OCD would start playing up if I didn't put it on an Italian (or handbuilt Mercian/Bob Jackson) frame)
Going through a groupset in a single season is a bit scary! I do about 5000miles a year on my hybrid which has got a mountain bike rear mech (only single chainring so no front mech) but it seems to be holding up well. I bet I take it much easier than you do though as most of the miles are to/from work.

I was looking at the ones with the big battery (looks like a AA on steroids) that come with a wall charger as I don't fancy any battery packs on the frame either.

Evans have got a bit of a sale on lights at the mo. I've been looking at the Lezyne range they have which are supposed to be quite good (so I've heard). A lot of them have integral lithium ion batteries which are USB charged - I could do it at my desk at work that way.

Evans have got a bit of a sale on lights at the mo. I've been looking at the Lezyne range they have which are supposed to be quite good (so I've heard). A lot of them have integral lithium ion batteries which are USB charged - I could do it at my desk at work that way.

I quite like the look of the new Knog Blinder Road...

It does look good but on low power it'll only give an hour which can't be very good for your epic length rides!
It also doesn't give any light out to the side which I think is quite important when commuting near lots of side roads etc.

Tbh, if I was doing a run that needed more than a hour of powerful beam, I'd be running one of the lamps I linked above, probably with a remote battery pack slung under the stem. Most of my riding tends to be in the middle of the day though - occasional sunday run's need lights on for the first hour or two in winter maybe... I do tend to have one of those little Decathlon rubber flashers on the bars at all times as a "be seen by" lamp for poor visibility (rain/fog) or when unavoidably having to pass through towns.

I somehow managed to purchase a dropper post for my bike this week (no idea how that happened). Guess I will have to go for a long ride at Swinley to test is on Saturday. It's a hard life......

Back