Pedal Power Thread

We had a look at my cleat position and that seemed to be a bit far back. They also measured me to get a correct saddle height and that was about ½ inch too low. I'll see if these changes make any difference on my next ride out. Fingers crossed!

@Phil1974 - hope that sorts it then amazing how little tweaks will make a real difference. On your next ride, take your mutli-tool with you in case you need to tweak further!!

On a separate note, the Tacx Vortex is now back in stock at Wiggle and I have submitted a price match this morning so once that is sorted (saving £30+) I will then order and hopefully have it for the weekend :D

Well I've taken the plunge and opted for the Genius Smart now just need to get it set-up and connected to Zwift

c) God forbid you use their "own" software - the TTS software that they sell for the PC/Mac interface is horrendous. Bug infested, crash prone
Have to say I don't have any issues with the current version of TTS 4 myself, TTS hasn't crashed in a long time and apart from loosing an FTP test run a couple of years ago (admittedly that didn't go down well at the time!) I don't think I've lost any session data. I guess the interface is a personal preference thing.

I've also been quite impressed with their on-line support. I mailed them last Sunday night to ask if I could use the software and Ant+ dongle from my old i-Vortex with the Genius Smart and they came back early Tuesday saying I just needed to check the serial number of my Ant+ dongle. When I replied back and said it didn't have a serial number they offered to just send me a replacement. I was expecting the old thumb drive sized stick to turn up but they've send me the new version. Arrived today less than 5 days after my initial contact and free of charge.

Hmmm... having said that perhaps I should have got the Genius set-up and working before posting, hope I haven't just tempted fate!

I think we need to be setting up the TP Zwift club!!

My Tacx Vortex Smart arrived today :D. I've just unboxed it and it looks a chunky piece of kit. (y)

Out in half an hour though as its my eldest's birthday today :love: so will aim to set it up tomorrow AM before we take him out for his Go-Karting party (dang that they won't allow adults to race with the kids :sorry:)

Last edited:
Have to say I don't have any issues with the current version of TTS 4 myself, TTS hasn't crashed in a long time and apart from loosing an FTP test run a couple of years ago (admittedly that didn't go down well at the time!) I don't think I've lost any session data. I guess the interface is a personal preference thing.

That's actually quite reassuring - I must be honest, I didn't use the trainer much last winter (I was too ill... still only just starting to get out the other side of the problems truth be told) and I'll admit that I was referring to TTS 3.13, which has been abandoned now by Tacx support wise. My real Issue was that when they Launched TTS 4, about 1 month after I purchased TTS3 (sodding typical) they didn't have in place ANY facilities for a "version upgrade" - when approached the reply from their support was basically "Unlucky". So, I struggled on through 9 upgrade versions of TTS3 - they WERE actually selling BOTH software versions in parallel - but with no facility to upgrade. Mainly because, well, TTS4 was more prone to crashing than TTS3 at the time.

I'm guessing in the 18 months or so since I was haunting the Tacx Support board, they've finally patched TTS4 properly and got it working - probably dropped selling V3 at that point - and now V3 has been irrevocably consigned to oblivion unless I can build a PC that's got Win 8 or before on it, as the video drivers it relies upon basically do not work on W10. And, I'm pretty sure it won't recognise the more modern ANT+ FE-C trainers either...

As the cost of TTS4 is not insubstantial, I'm trying to hold off as long as possible, in the hope that they've got a TTS5 in the pipeline, that's been built to allow the software to control not only the Tacx trainers, but also opened up to control the other kit - allowing them to sell their FANTASTIC RLV DVD's and Bluerays to a wider audience... it would be a crying shame not to! If that happens I'll be beating a path to their door, waving a fistful of euro's, but until that... I'll build a parts bucket PC and drag out an old W7 licence for a TTS3.13 install I reckon...

We had a look at my cleat position and that seemed to be a bit far back. They also measured me to get a correct saddle height and that was about ½ inch too low. I'll see if these changes make any difference on my next ride out. Fingers crossed!

Saddle height and cleat position was the biggest part of my knee injury, my saddle went up over an inch though :eek:

I spent a month and a half only ridding once a week to let the ligament damage heal, seems to be all good now. No knee pain on today's 100km ride into the hills.

You will probably get pains in the hamstrings or calf muscles for a while now that your position has changed and the muscles get used to a different range of movement.

Garmin Edge 810 is on lightning deal on Amazon for £200 inc HR sensor and cad nice sensor etc.

£50 better than anywhere else at the moment. Is this better than the 520 which is £220 for the same set up.

Garmin Edge 810 is on lightning deal on Amazon for £200 inc HR sensor and cad nice sensor etc.

£50 better than anywhere else at the moment. Is this better than the 520 which is £220 for the same set up.
I saw somewhere it's on Italian amazon at £150, I'll see if I can find a link

Edit: apparently it's finished :(

Last edited:
I saw somewhere it's on Italian amazon at £150, I'll see if I can find a link

Edit: apparently it's finished :(

Never mind. I think £200 is still a good price.

I had a look on www.curiua.com but nothing showed up cheaper. Must have bee their version of a lightning deal?

Something to bear in mind, the 810 on Amazon comes with the older GSC10 cadence sensor, where as the 520 comes with the new style speed and cadence sensors (much better and can be fitted/ moved to different bike in seconds).

Other than that, unless you particularly want navigation then go for the 520, far superior unit in all other aspects.

Thanks @Dalton. Good to know re the sensor.

Do you own either unit? If so, any thoughts on day to day use?

Thanks @Dalton. Good to know re the sensor.

Do you own either unit? If so, any thoughts on day to day use?

I have the 520 (with HRM @ Cadence), when I was buying it I also considered the 810. Ultimately I chose the 520 for a number of reasons. It is a lot smaller than the 810 (which is pretty massive!) and I figured I would rarely use the navigation features of the 810 (as mainly ride familiar routes). Also I wanted the newer unit, the 520 is brand new and comes with the far superior sensors. Have a read up, but you get a cadence sensor that clips to the inside of the pedal in seconds and a speed sensor that clips to the rear wheel hub (also in seconds), the GSC 10 which I have previously owned, requires fixing with cable ties and also needs a wheel magnet.

Day to day the 520 does everything I need to and far more! I wanted a computer that would enable me to ride indoors as well as outside. The 520 has different profiles which are all user customisable. So for example, I have an indoor profile (for when I am on the turbo trainer) set up, to turn off GPS and have the backlight on permanently and I have just the information I need on display (distance, time, speed, cadence, HRM).

It pairs with your mobile as well, so when you finish your ride it auto uploads the information to where ever you want it to go (in my case Garmin connect and Strava), this is a superb feature and works brilliantly.

I love my 520! Would recommend it. Especially while Wiggle have it cheap. ;)

I've got the garmin 800, and to be honest, it's battery is getting a bit cream-crackered now - it'll just about hold for a century ride (if I ever get outside long enough) but I've so many mates with Garmin 810's that complain at the number of times that the device has just crashed/hung/randomly lost their data that i'm really hoping that there's a 820 in the pipeline... By Garmin's usual product cycle I think that the 810's well and truly due for an update, hopefully into a 520 with navigation (that's not absolutely MAHOOSIVE like the 1000) that'll control ANT+ FE-C trainers, and all the other goodies that have been added to the models that have been released since the 810 came out.

If you're buying right now, unless you MUST have the navigation, then the 520 is definitely the way to go.

@TheBigYin @Dalton
Thanks guys. You confirmed my thinking and the 520 wins!! I thought the 810 might be a better package but considering your feedback and the fact that the 520 has newer technology (hardware not just the firmware) has swung it for me (y). I've read that the 810 doesn't have FE-C so this will be a limiter in the future too. In terms of navigation, I read DC Rainmaker's post about adding open maps to the 520 so that's the nav sorted too!

I had the 810 ordered on the Amazon lightning deal and this has now been cancelled (and confirmation received from Amazon - a (y) from me !) and I am ordering the 520 from Wiggle.

As you say Dalton, using a separate profile indoors not he trainer will be a great extra and Mark, I think Bri @digitalfailure had his 810 hang when he was doing his Cavendish ride didn't he? I scooted around the web last night including Garmin's forum and the noise says that there isn't an 820 planned at the minute and they seem to be going forward with the 1000 / 1000 Explorer instead. Who knows except Garmin though?

Thanks again guys. Must dash - off to set up the Vortex !!

Cheers all

As has been said, the 810 seems prone to crashing and losing data, which was another reason I chose the 520. I am also an avid follower of DC Rainmaker and he seemed to confirm that there would not be an 820.

Bit late back to the thread, my 810 has been flawless on the 4.3 firmware , starting to actually like it now it's set up how I want it. When I'm riding I can't be bothered with complications and the 810 can offer so much you can easily get lost in it.

What is the navigation like on the 520? Can you upload a route and follow it on screen? I really like the idea of full navigation but finding it hard to justify the price of the 1000.

Isn't the 810 just an 800 with Bluetooth? Because my 800 has been faultless and i think still available for good prices.

TBH I don't know Neil. The battery is better and there's other functionality but not sure if the latter is covered by a firmware upgrade?

What is the navigation like on the 520? Can you upload a route and follow it on screen? I really like the idea of full navigation but finding it hard to justify the price of the 1000.

Phil, you can load maps into the 520 using open maps. DC Rainmaker has an article on it. I'll dig it out later.

Bit late back to the thread, my 810 has been flawless on the 4.3 firmware , starting to actually like it now it's set up how I want it. When I'm riding I can't be bothered with complications and the 810 can offer so much you can easily get lost in it.
that's the firmware I'm on and haven't had an issue with it at all

Does anyone know if I can send a route from Google Maps on the iPhone to a Garmin? Just thinking that might be a workround for needing proper navigation.

Does anyone know if I can send a route from Google Maps on the iPhone to a Garmin? Just thinking that might be a workround for needing proper navigation.

TBH I've not heard anybody mention that or discuss it in any of the forums/sites I've looked at.

The above link seems a good way of getting mapping onto the 520 though

You can create routes on Garmin Connect and send them straight to the device. It's easy to drag and drop to shape the route.

I was wondering if I could upload routes while out and about on the bike. If there was a way of doing that the 520 would be a clear winner for me.

I've found ridewithgps to be a bit nicer to work with, garmins software has been a bit patchy in the past for me.
This might be hair splitting, but Garmin Connect is a website. Of course, it is still software, but it works just fine, in my experience at least.

I use Garmin Express on the desktop to sync data back and forth. No problems for me on Windows 10. I connect and charge at the same time with USB and it is a single button click to send a course/route from the Connect website to the device - in my case an Edge Touring Plus.

Perhaps the 520 creates complications. I don't know - I've never used one.

I've ridden over 9k miles since last December and never experienced any such problems.

Back