Pedal Power Thread

33902868272_d631342f39_c.jpg

:)

Anyone got any first hand experience of mangobikes?
Stumbled across the Point R range whilst looking at a possible new bike.

I'm curious to hear what people think of road facilities for cyclists in your area. Do you have adequate cycle lanes, lights, parking etc. And if not, is there any cycling lobby or club that gets things improved for you?

I'm curious to hear what people think of road facilities for cyclists in your area. Do you have adequate cycle lanes, lights, parking etc. And if not, is there any cycling lobby or club that gets things improved for you?
It's getting better here in London Hackney but still could be improved with more parking for bikes

Anyone got any first hand experience of mangobikes?
Stumbled across the Point R range whilst looking at a possible new bike.

I think one of my mates bought one of their fixed gear bikes as a commuter - i'll have a word, see what he reckons, might be a couple of days before I can speak with him though, he's over on the continent for the Ardennes Week races...

You're not based in the UK, are you Ian :LOL:

Road facilities... well, there's plenty of roads, all bady maintained (unless the TdF went over them a couple of years ago...)

Cycle Lanes - don't make me laugh, there's a couple of dedicated lanes, which are unusable because of the amount of broken glass on them (they're never swept, and glass can hang around for years and years. Other "non dedicated" lanes are effectively a line of paint 15" from the kerbstones, again full of either horse-s***, glass or drainage covers. not fit for purpose, and narrower than I am across my shoulders - so I overhang the kerb and the road should I take the middle of the cycle lane.

Lights - usual roadside lights, in built up areas only, out on my regular riding loop i'd estimate maybe 10-15% of it has streetlights - good powerful lights on the bike are essential to see, never mind be seen by.

Parking - I'd never leave my bike unattended anywhere around here - even locked it'd be gone in 60 seconds.

Cycling Lobby or Club - again, no. Only clubs around here are basically interested in racing, nothing else crosses their transom.

In short, I'd suggest staying in Germany.

You're not based in the UK, are you Ian [emoji38]

Road facilities... well, there's plenty of roads, all bady maintained (unless the TdF went over them a couple of years ago...)

Cycle Lanes - don't make me laugh, there's a couple of dedicated lanes, which are unusable because of the amount of broken glass on them (they're never swept, and glass can hang around for years and years. Other "non dedicated" lanes are effectively a line of paint 15" from the kerbstones, again full of either horse-s***, glass or drainage covers. not fit for purpose, and narrower than I am across my shoulders - so I overhang the kerb and the road should I take the middle of the cycle lane.

Lights - usual roadside lights, in built up areas only, out on my regular riding loop i'd estimate maybe 10-15% of it has streetlights - good powerful lights on the bike are essential to see, never mind be seen by.

Parking - I'd never leave my bike unattended anywhere around here - even locked it'd be gone in 60 seconds.

Cycling Lobby or Club - again, no. Only clubs around here are basically interested in racing, nothing else crosses their transom.

In short, I'd suggest staying in Germany.
If you use proper locks it won't get broken into so easily

They would need to to damage and destroy the frame to try and take your bike off a good d lock and chain lock

Last edited:
They would need to to damage and destroy the frame to try and take your bike off a good d lock and chain lock
unfortunately good chains aren't exactly portable. my almax immob 3 and squire lock for example, about the only chain i'd trust but that lives anchored through the shed floor into the big oxford ground anchor in the concrete underneath.

unfortunately good chains aren't exactly portable. my almax immob 3 and squire lock for example, about the only chain i'd trust but that lives anchored through the shed floor into the big oxford ground anchor in the concrete underneath.
Ride with a backpack or wrap the chain around your bike frame.

I know it ain't light but those locks would require a couple of hours to cut off with a blow torch

Ride with a backpack or wrap the chain around your bike frame.

I know it ain't light but those locks would require a couple of hours to cut off with a blow torch
not weighed it but it really isnt something you want to carry around. the weight makes it's cumbersome enough trying to lock it in the shed.

edit: someone says the Immob3 is 4.34kg/m, Immob4 is 6.51kg/m

Last edited:
I think one of my mates bought one of their fixed gear bikes as a commuter - i'll have a word, see what he reckons, might be a couple of days before I can speak with him though, he's over on the continent for the Ardennes Week races...
Many thanks and no rush at all.

If you use proper locks it won't get broken into so easily

with 3k worth of components hanging on a plastic frame, that's pretty much what they do. Frame's are difficult to pass on anyway - components, not so much.

with 3k worth of components hanging on a plastic frame, that's pretty much what they do. Frame's are difficult to pass on anyway - components, not so much.
Would still take effort to pull off your gear set as an example. Get anti lock wheels nuts too and they can't take your wheels.

theres an old adage that goes something like "a secure bike weighs around 50kg. Either 45kg of bike and 5kg of locks, or a 7kg bike and 43 kg of locks...

Would still take effort to pull off your gear set as an example. Get anti lock wheels nuts too and they can't take your wheels.

You smash the frame in half with a hammer, throw it in the back of a transit, and drive away to your workshop to part it out at your leisure. Only thing I'd leave locked up would be a "parts bin special" - something that cost me nothing, probably fixed gear so the smack-heads would have issues riding it away. pretty much describes my "pub bike" to a tee tbh.

You smash the frame in half with a hammer, throw it in the back of a transit, and drive away to your workshop to part it out at your leisure. Only thing I'd leave locked up would be a "parts bin special" - something that cost me nothing, probably fixed gear so the smack-heads would have issues riding it away. pretty much describes my "pub bike" to a tee tbh.
Would take a lot of effort to do that without getting noticed.

substitute "hand held battery angle grinder" for hammer - plastic frames don't last 10 seconds...

as to getting noticed - one guy with a baseball bat, the other with a grinder, third drives up with a van and away they go... it's not small time stuff - they're organised.

Would take a lot of effort to do that without getting noticed.

Mrs Nod showed me a Twatter/Farcebook thing earlier where a scrote was nicking a bike while being filmed. Some years back, the thieves were driving alongside cyclists on the road, knocking them off by opening the passenger door as they went past then chucking the bike in the back of the van and driving off. As has been said, if they want it, they'll take it - all the locks in the world will only slow them down a bit, especially now that battery powered angle grinders etc. are available.

substitute "hand held battery angle grinder" for hammer - plastic frames don't last 10 seconds...

as to getting noticed - one guy with a baseball bat, the other with a grinder, third drives up with a van and away they go... it's not small time stuff - they're organised.
Well what's stopping them just stealing your bike while your on it then?

Agreed, there's no lock available that can't be cut through in about a minute, people don't normally interfere with thieves in broad daylight (wisely so). Theft in and around London is bonkers for all 2 wheeled transport, it's hit epidemic levels and not sure what the answer is.

On a cheerier note, a cracking day for a ride today

IMG_0315.JPG

Nice looking wheels @neil_g
I'm considering some new 700c disc wheels (part of a plan to move my road bike wheels on to my older hybrid, then getting something good for the road bike), but I don't really know where to start and the range of prices is just mahoosive :eek:

Boo, not posted on here in ages. got myself a gimbal mount for my gopro, makes a difference to the stability of the video.

Hmm - that certainly makes a big difference - I notice it appears to be a chest harness mounted setup in the vids above - is that due to the size of the rig ( gopro and the gimbal) ?

personally I'd be looking for something bike attached and wouldn't want too much of a "lump" to be fastened to the bike's bars... Could I ask what gimbal you were using - was it the feiyu one that DC Rainmaker reviewed?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/feiyutech-wearablegimbal-review.html

Yeah it's a feiyu tech wgs, it will probably break off in a crash but I've fallen off wearing it already with no issues. It's not heavy and you forget you have it on.

You can put it pretty much anywhere, doesn't have to be a chest mount but it gives the best footage.

Theft in and around London is bonkers for all 2 wheeled transport, it's hit epidemic levels and not sure what the answer is.

You could move to North Yorkshire ? beautiful scenery, thousands of miles of largely traffic free rural roads and remarkably crime free. :) Not too many of you though, I like my space.

You could move to North Yorkshire ? beautiful scenery, thousands of miles of largely traffic free rural roads and remarkably crime free. :) Not too many of you though, I like my space.
I live near the alps, where there are lots of fantastic trails in spectacular scenery. However on Sundays they are packed with mountain bikers with all the best gear, after being stuck in long traffic queues in their top BMWs to get there.

I live near the alps, where there are lots of fantastic trails in spectacular scenery. However on Sundays they are packed with mountain bikers with all the best gear, after being stuck in long traffic queues in their top BMWs to get there.

'BMW blight' eh ? not too many of them around here, you are more likely to get held up by sheep wandering onto the unfenced road !

Back