Pedal Power Thread

The high torque / low cadence helps build legs muscle, especially for sprints. A lot of cycling articles recommend exactly that to get a form of training in on the commute. I'd never thought about it, but it must look a bit odd not to use the gears that are there!
Thanks. I do get the impression that they are casual cyclists, not doing it for training purposes, but that they have problems with their gears. But who knows?

I'm back commuting after a break of 5 years, and slowly the stamina is coming back. But previously I had stepless ratio gears, where you pedal with the same pressure and cadence for the whole journey. Regardless of up hill or downhill. Your legs really get used to that, and settle into a rhythm quite different from discrete ratio gears.

Last edited:
I already own 3 bikes but we all know 4 is the ideal number . . . Yes ? :) So at age 70 I am planning to get my 1st mountain bike. This is purely a ' fun' purchase hence I will be getting a emtb (electric mountain bike) anyone out there got any experience with these beauties ? I'm not looking to spend big bucks max=£2,500 ish anything better would be wasted on me.
Please share your thoughts (if you have any)
Cheers

I can vouch for KTM e bikes, very well made [emoji106]

I can vouch for KTM e bikes, very well made [emoji106]

Thanks Gregg, yes after doing plenty of reading (zero previous knowledge on mountain bikes) I was interested in KTM e bikes, the KTM Macina I believe.

Then I 'stumbled' across a bike rental place in the Lake District (about 1 hour away) who had a couple of ex rental emtb bikes for sale. After visiting and a trial ride I have purchased a Bergamont Roxtar c 8.0 500. https://www.damianharriscycles.co.u...nt-e-line-roxtar-c-8.0-500-2016-electric-bike Bergamont were not a name I was familiar with but they are made in Germany and popular in Europe and imported into the uk by Scott apparently.

While I was attracted to a bright shiny new bike common sense tells me to 'rein' myself in until I'm sure I will take to this new cycling format.

The bike doesn't look like it has had a lot of use, comes with the remaining 1 year of a 2 year warranty and I have saved myself somewhere between £500 - £1,000 depending on what new model I choose.

I am going to be riding bridle ways and forest tracks etc so I don't need anything too exotic.

This could be a bumpy ride. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Gregg, yes after doing plenty of reading (zero previous knowledge on mountain bikes) I was interested in KTM e bikes, the KTM Macina I believe.

Then I 'stumbled' across a bike rental place in the Lake District (about 1 hour away) who had a couple of ex rental emtb bikes for sale. After visiting and a trial ride I have purchased a Bergamont Roxtar c 8.0 500. https://www.damianharriscycles.co.u...nt-e-line-roxtar-c-8.0-500-2016-electric-bike Bergamont were not a name I was familiar with but they are made in Germany and popular in Europe and imported into the uk by Scott apparently.

While I was attracted to a bright shiny new bike common sense tells me to 'rein' myself in until I'm sure I will take to this new cycling format.

The bike doesn't look like it has had a lot of use, comes with the remaining 1 year of a 2 year warranty and I have saved myself somewhere between £500 - £1,000 depending on what new model I choose.

I am going to be riding bridle ways and forest tracks etc so I don't need anything too exotic.

This could be a bumpy ride. :)
That looks really smart, look forward to hearing your review. A man of your power output, coupled with a motor, will be flying down those bridleways!

That looks really smart, look forward to hearing your review. A man of your power output, coupled with a motor, will be flying down those bridleways!

Nah ! I won't Tim, I've only got one neck ;)

Nah ! I won't Tim, I've only got one neck ;)
Haha, has all your Zwift use given you a phobia of fresh area and real-world scenery too? ;-)
(I'm the most scaredy-cat cyclist I know - slightest decline and I'm straight on the brakes!)

Haha, has all your Zwift use given you a phobia of fresh area and real-world scenery too? ;-)
(I'm the most scaredy-cat cyclist I know - slightest decline and I'm straight on the brakes!)

Tim, I still prefer to cycle outside when conditions are kind :) I do however admit to being a fair weather cyclist. I have done 108 miles last week and only 21 of them were on Zwift !

I Just work hard at not falling off, at a certain age ? you just don't bounce anymore. . . ouch

The latest edition to my 'stable' first time I have ever owned a mountain bike and It took me until I was 70 o_O

This is an emtb (pedal assisted) and I took it for a trial run in the Lake district.

Now before you 'scoff' at "pedal assisted' this weighs 21kg and to test it (and me) I rode it via road to the top of whinlatter forest hill (from Braithwaite) we made it !

4 levels of 'pedal assistance' eco/tour/sport/turbo and off of course and my pride makes me ride in the off or eco when possible but once you tackle any sort of gradient that 21kgs means you need 'assistance'

I shall still ride IRL and on Zwift but this bike opens up so much more of the countryside. I should have got one years ago (probably without the 'pedal assistance') ?

In summary it is great fun. :)

i-Bcn5BPV.jpg

i-Jn4W7DS.jpg

I've just moved to Cardiff so setting up my turbo trainer in the garage to try and improve my fitness before tackling some hills come spring & summer.

I've just moved to Cardiff so setting up my turbo trainer in the garage to try and improve my fitness before tackling some hills come spring & summer.

Hi Rick,

I started some years ago (my 1st trainer) in my garage and I would advise getting some ‘entertainment' to take your mind off the boredom / pain !, music is the easy choice but if you can get the internet into your garage you have more options.

Memo: Indoor cycling with just a wall to look at 'aint no fun'

I think it is preferable to be outside or at least in an unheated space. You will soon generate you own heat :( Far easier to get warm than it is to keep cool.

I 'graduated' from my garage to a nice 10' x 8' shed in which I have light / power / internet / Tv & PC and it is a great escape.

What trainer are you using and have you tried Zwift yet ?

i-q8GTpXZ-XL.jpg

I went to the gym before work this morning, and it was a real drag. I felt listless and couldn't get into it.
So, as the spare bedroom has been cleared out, I am going to haul the turbo bike up there - haven't told the missus yet:rolleyes:.
Last week I did a 35 minute interval session on a bike up at the gym. Started off at level 12 (100RPM), then did six x 1 minute intervals at level 16 (105 - 110RPM) with two minute rest periods recovering at level 10. The machines (Pulse Fitness) all calculate using MET Minutes, and that session worked out at 9.8 MET Minutes. I think I would prefer doing that on my own bike though with properly clipped in feet.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/clc.4960130809/pdf

Andy, in all honesty I don’t know what your talking about with the MET minutes ‘thing’ but any/all exercise has it’s benefits so I will say well done. :)

Last week I did a 35 minute interval session on a bike up at the gym. Started off at level 12 (100RPM), then did six x 1 minute intervals at level 16 (105 - 110RPM) with two minute rest periods recovering at level 10. The machines (Pulse Fitness) all calculate using MET Minutes, and that session worked out at 9.8 MET Minutes.

Now I know what my mates feel like when I get on about FTP, w/kg, TSS and W' - didn't understand a word of it, even after reading the PDF twice.

Sounded like an interval session to try and boost 1 minute power - anaerobic capacity - or the "making the breakaway" moves. They're painful (if done right) because it's pretty much wind it up and hold it until the screaming stops, then try and spin the pain away for 2 minutes before doing it again...

Now I know what my mates feel like when I get on about FTP, w/kg, TSS and W' - didn't understand a word of it, even after reading the PDF twice.

Sounded like an interval session to try and boost 1 minute power - anaerobic capacity - or the "making the breakaway" moves. They're painful (if done right) because it's pretty much wind it up and hold it until the screaming stops, then try and spin the pain away for 2 minutes before doing it again...

:DThat PDF is not too clear to be honest.
You have got it exactly right on the last bit though. In our old cycling terms, it is like warming up at those revs for 5 mins on 42x15, then start the 52x16 1 min interval at higher revs (really starts to hurt at the 45 sec mark), then as you say, do the 2 min rest on 42x17 at whatever revs you can manage to spin the pain away - and then do 5 more reps of that. The key is to try to do quality intervals, making sure that the smaller rest period gear will allow you to get rid of the lactic acid build up. It is usually OK until the 4th interval, and then I have to do 3 minute rests to recover.
It would be of use to a road or criterium rider, and probably 4K team pursuiters, but I was advised to do it by one of our best riders back in the eighties to improve my 10 and 25 times. I went from doing 27 min 10's on 56x12 (I kid you not:(), to 21/22 min 10's on 53x13.

Andy, in all honesty I don’t know what your talking about with the MET minutes ‘thing’ but any/all exercise has it’s benefits so I will say well done. :)

Cheers Roy. The whole MET minutes thing was a complete mystery to me until last year, and it is really an accurate (or so I am led to believe) method of counting calories burned during exercise, using the MET minute score and your weight plus a simple equation.
For sheer performance gains, you cannot beat a good cycle computer measuring speed and watts power.

Hello Guys & Girls

So do you good people also experience the mountain versus roadie thing?

Will post a pic of my bike as soon as I can approach it without feelings of guilt...;)

Hello Guys & Girls

Will post a pic of my bike as soon as I can approach it without feelings of guilt...;)

I used to have both, but still wore baggy shorts etc on the road bike.

Wasn't riding that much though, so sold the road bike and kept the MTB

I used to have both, but still wore baggy shorts etc on the road bike.

Wasn't riding that much though, so sold the road bike and kept the MTB

I hope to start riding more soon. I do one specific race every year for the last 4 years now...lovely 96km over hills to the ocean. EVERY year I promise myself I will ride more constantly...

Hello Guys & Girls

Hi Anton,

I guess you will always get idiots who think their chosen genre (cycling or whatever) is superior and will 'diss' other choices.

I smile benignly at them and politely ignore them. :p

I have 4 bikes, an eMTB and a dedicated bike in my Tacx Neo indoor trainer (see above pictures)

I also have a very nice road bike and a Boardman (flat bar) hybrid.

i-3M5sXcm-L.jpg

i-Kb2m3w5-L.jpg

At the 'tender' age of 70 I ride most days, outdoor and indoor.

I set myself a target of riding 100 miles per week average for the year and currently I am well on schedule with 4,600 miles done.

I realise I am very fortunate to be able to own nice bikes (I am not a rich man) and to be healthy and able to enjoy my cycling in the beautiful rural surroundings of North Yorkshire.

Sorry, if I come across a bit 'full of myself' not my intention. Just counting my blessings really.

p.s Please show us your bike(s)

Hi Anton,

I guess you will always get idiots who think their chosen genre (cycling or whatever) is superior and will 'diss' other choices.

I have 4 bikes, an eMTB and a dedicated bike in my Tacx Neo indoor trainer (see above pictures)

i-3M5sXcm-L.jpg

i-Kb2m3w5-L.jpg

I set myself a target of riding 100 miles per week average for the year and currently I am well on schedule with 4,600 miles done.

I realise I am very fortunate to be able to own nice bikes (I am not a rich man) and to be healthy and able to enjoy my cycling in the beautiful rural surroundings of North Yorkshire.

Sorry, if I come across a bit 'full of myself' not my intention. Just counting my blessings really.

Nice bikes :)

This is my toy

4508673706_21ce7cdffd_b.jpg

Hi Anton,

i-3M5sXcm-L.jpg

i-Kb2m3w5-L.jpg

Some very nice wheels there!(y)

Yes, idiots are in all walks of life I'm afraid. And no worries about being "full of yourself..." of course I am just a tad jealous seeing your playground but good for you. I might share some of mine sometime soon. As for showing my bike I will try to do something over the weekend since I am running around a bit now...she is filthy but I ride long distances on gravel roads with the occasional mud and jeep track as they call it on my side of the pond.

Best I can do for now, guys...

19241-1510158556-93583d319e2a16568c07436e3b844d49.jpg

This is me on last year's Karoo to Coast...this is about 85km or so into the 96km ride. Entering a nasty 90 degrees + right hand downhill leading to the last short sharp kick-in-the-nuts climb before the finish...

Bike is a 2014 Merida aluminium full suspension 29er. Only one I have now since I parted with my Scott 26" hard tail tank...yes tank...it was a great little bike but HEAVY!:LOL:

See image below, my first Karoo to Coast in 2014. Bike was a 2010 Scott Aspect 35 26".

19242-1510159459-8b0886d338059347620f79d67229071d.jpg

Below image shamelessly copied from the Merida site...this is what my bike looks like when she is clean...

19243-1510161401-1efbf1e805cd46e659c223afb52430ee.jpg

Last edited:
Nice bike. Looks like great MB terrain.

It is lovely! I lack in the testicular department as far as rough technical riding goes, cross-country marathon enduro is more my thing and we have PLENTY of it!

A pro rider mate got me into my first Karoo to Coast race in 2014 and it turned into an annual event 4 years running...I an pushing to do 10 consecutives.

Too many hobbies so won’t be chasing too many races and I don’t ride fast enough anyway. We have hundreds of kilometers of gravel roads with pretty scenery close by and I can climb enough to keep moderately fit...

So on the commute home had a pedestrian walk out from behind a parked van....queue 10 foot slide down the hill as I swerved to avoid and skiddded out on the wet road....her first words “oh my god I’m so sorry, I guess I should have looked”

grazed and bruised knee, bruised hand, shoulder, ruined Lycra trousers and jacket, and think I have bent a brake disc....I love cycling, I love cycling, I love cycling!

Well the bike is ok, turned out it was the mudguard mount was bent and the slight buckle on the wheel was coming into contact, reverberating down the mount and making a noise where it is bolted on the frame next to the disc brake.

I am stiffening up nicely in the bruised areas....leading to the next dilemma - do I cycle tomorrow and claim my free breakfast for the industrial estates cycle to work initiative or is it not worth it??? :)

Anybody here able to guide me on value of the following two bikes?
First is a Raleigh Competition form around 1987. The hook that holds the wheels on the rear drop out cracked around 1991 and raleigh replaced the frame with a 531 frame. It also has some nice mavic rims (Open SUP CD on the decal). Any idea what it may be worth or where i could best sell it?

The second is a GT Karakoram, purchased around 1997 (though could be as late as 2001). I was told by some friends in the know that it had some decent upgrades on it (strange as i bought it new from a bike shop). This bike i am considering converting for use on the local jump / trail track (Van Road Trails), what would i need to change for use on a track like that, if indeed it is worth adapting?

Links to lots of pictures of the bikes

with that componentry, it'd pass muster for the Eroica - strip it, clean it all up, polish it and get it properly roadworthy then stick it on fleabay a couple of months before the Eroica in the middle of June - you'll probably be surprised at what it could make... okay, the components aren't anything special (105's always been a bit "workhorse", but none the worse for that...) but it'll make a decent figure if those wheels are straight, true and not worn out on the braking tracks...

it's around the same vintage as my Eroica bike... though mine's a little more upscale (and a damned sight more roadworthy...)

IMG_5541-2.jpg

Really muct get a new photo, this time with matching length valve stems in there, and with the genuine 1990 (not the re-pop) Flite Ti saddle in place, instead of the "belgian sofa" (I fitted the Rolls for the Eroica, as there's quite a bit of gravel/dirt track stuff, and I didn't trust the Flite at my current weight, bouncing around on that terrain...)

I think everyone should have experienced the comfort of a San Marco Rolls saddle - they were fantastic!

https://flic.kr/p/e6A3iU

That is my turbo bike. It is an old (but very good) Gazelle frame, made from 653 tubing, with a variety of components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your Italian high-end road racing bike (Colnago etc) really produced in Italy ?

Are your US premium brands (Cannondale, Felt etc) really made in the USA ?

Is that Taiwanese / Chinese bike really inferior ?

An interesting read : Who made your bike ? http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/

Is your Italian high-end road racing bike (Colnago etc) really produced in Italy ?

Are your US premium brands (Cannondale, Felt etc) really made in the USA ?

Is that Taiwanese / Chinese bike really inferior ?

An interesting read : Who made your bike ? http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/

Bit different to the old days, when you could go to a master framebuilder and get custom fitted, depending on what the bike was to be used for (touring, road racing, criteriums, time trialling, track), and then watch the progress as the tubing was chosen (Reynolds, Columbus, Ishiwata etc), then cut, and the joining method decided - lugged or lugless. The result was a superb hand crafted masterpiece, finished in top quality enamel paint, with the maker's name on the side - hardly any of these exist today.

Bit different to the old days, when you could go to a master framebuilder and get custom fitted, depending on what the bike was to be used for (touring, road racing, criteriums, time trialling, track), and then watch the progress as the tubing was chosen (Reynolds, Columbus, Ishiwata etc), then cut, and the joining method decided - lugged or lugless. The result was a superb hand crafted masterpiece, finished in top quality enamel paint, with the maker's name on the side - hardly any of these exist today.

That's right. I'm pleased to report you can still get your frame custom made at my LBS https://www.arthurcaygillcycles.co.uk/about up here in rural North Yorkshire.

or Bob Jackson, Mercian, Brian Rourke. and a fair bunch of others...

Had a frame from each of the above BITD, and they were all nicer riding than the Pinarello I had a few years after... of course they were all custom fit, unlike the Pina...

Back