Pencils and Lemonade

LJR

Name
Lloyd
Edit My Images
No
Had a BBQ for 30 people on Weds (*phew*) at the end of it we had about 8 litres of unopened lemonade and cola leftover. Well, this month's competition theme at my camera club is macro and so I was determined to do something non-animal and non-flowery. I tried dipping various objects in (fir cones are interesting - may come back to those one day). In the end a pencil did the best but I needed some new ones to make it more 'photogenic' so here's the end result.

_DSC0342-Edit_800px.jpg

_DSC0340-Edit_800px.jpg

Pack of new colouring pencils
Fresh bottle of Lemonade
A glass
A white backdrop
One Lencarta 300w flash head (metered to f11)
One Nikon D300
2 packets of rice krispies, a ruler and some sticky tape (I made a clamp from them)

Very nice marketing shots, would sale well on a stock library I would think. ;)

That's a pretty cool idea, haven't seen anybody do a shot like that before! I prefer the first one though.

Bloody brilliant idea and nicely executed. I want to try that now :)

That is a really really nice fresh take on one of the most common shots of all time. :clap::clap:

Very clever, I love them. Is this literally shot through the glass? It's so clear.

What does macro mean by the way? I keep seeing it in posts but thought it was a special filter or lens but it's not mentioned on your list! Does it just mean 'close up'?

Very clever, I love them. Is this literally shot through the glass? It's so clear.

What does macro mean by the way? I keep seeing it in posts but thought it was a special filter or lens but it's not mentioned on your list! Does it just mean 'close up'?

A macro lens is a lens that can focus from a much closer distance than most lenses, pretty much.

Great shots, i love the idea!

As Samuel says, it's a lens that has a very short minimum focal range and reproduce images at anything from 1:2 to 1:1 (the latter being the better of course). Usually they are fixed focal length lenses (mine's a 105mm for example). Macro photography is a whole subject in itself and I'm no expert in it at all. I don't do much of it but it's a great thing to play with from time to time. Some macro photographers are absolutely amazing.

Yeah. I like em too. Nice to see something different. Nice colours too. Well done.

2 packets of rice krispies, a ruler and some sticky tape (I made a clamp from them)

Ummm... sorry am I missing something? Rice krispies???? :thinking:

I imagine (and I hope I'm right!) that if you put a box either side of the glass, but the ruler over the top and tape to each box with some sticky tape it might just do what you want.

You could then, in theory, attach items to the ruler and hang the in the glass at the desired height.

swhat I'd do anyway.

And they are excellent shots to boot too! My only niggle (and I struggled to find one) is that the spacing between the pencils isn't the same thoughout, but that's about it. But a couple of shots to be very proud of none the less!

:clap:

That's correct. In light of the fact I couldn't find anything else tall and stable enough I raided the cupboard and pulled out two boxes of Krispies. Taped the pencils to the ruler and then the ruler across the boxes.

Know what you mean about the spacing Carol. I only noticed during processing. I should probably just clone gaps out.

I really love this, great idea and great work, I have never seen anything like this

I imagine (and I hope I'm right!) that if you put a box either side of the glass, but the ruler over the top and tape to each box with some sticky tape it might just do what you want.

You could then, in theory, attach items to the ruler and hang the in the glass at the desired height.

swhat I'd do anyway.

And they are excellent shots to boot too! My only niggle (and I struggled to find one) is that the spacing between the pencils isn't the same thoughout, but that's about it. But a couple of shots to be very proud of none the less!

:clap:

Ah, got it now (y):LOL:

Brilliant idea...............you realise you've just started a trend now:LOL:

Sharp, well composed, well lit, very colourful and unusual subject matter..............can't fault them :clap::clap::clap:

lol "What can YOU drop in lemonade" craze :D

Thanks for the comments.

Back