Pentax 645N

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, the old brain has been ticking over and I think I would like to have a medium format camera system that has zoom lenses and possibly a bit of autofocus.
It appears that the Pentax 645 N (or N 11) might well fit the bill, I'm not bothered about having interchangeable backs and both the Mamiya and Contact systems are much too expensive (as are the Hasselblad / Fuji equivalents).

So, anyone have one or used one?

Cheers

Andy

There's also the Fuji GA645zi. It's the zoom version of the one I had. It's a straight point and shoot and does autofocus pretty well.

This reminds me that the 645N has been on my to do list as well (y)

There's also the Fuji GA645zi. It's the zoom version of the one I had. It's a straight point and shoot and does autofocus pretty well.

This reminds me that the 645N has been on my to do list as well (y)

I haven't completely discounted the Fuji as it is lighter and cheaper but when the electronics go they are almost impossible to get repaired, there are still a couple of places where the Pentax can be fixed.
Jan has the non zoom version of the Fuji and it has an excellent lens. Mmm, you've got me thinking now, maybe I should have another look. :D

What kind of budget have you ?

I don't want to say in case the wife is watching....:D

Actually, it depends on what I decide to sell, probably £500.

I had the Pentax 645N for a while, lovely piece of kit, heavy and a bit automatic but took really nice pictures.

Snip:

Pah… I don't know, medium format with a zoom lens and autofocus? You'll be going digital next! ;) :D

Sometimes (often?) I just feel lazy and want the camera to do the work. :D

Sometimes (often?) I just feel lazy and want the camera to do the work. :D
Don't worry, you're preaching to the converted! Besides, it's not lazy, at times we artists just need to concentrate on painting with light rather than being distracted by mechanical trivia. :D ;)

Fleabay is full of them, though most are in Japan.
There seems to be 2 UK based ones though.
Have you tried any of the pentax forums ?

Not yet, I'm still mulling over the options and I need to sell before I can buy so it will probably be later in the year.

I still have the 645n with the 75mm lens from @Mr Bump in fact. It is a lovely camera to use, I don't find it overly heavy. I also have the 645 to 67 adapter. I like the camera for the reason you state, it has autofocus, as well as manual and 'A' mode, that's probably one of the reasons why I haven't sold it, takes nice photos too.

I still have the 645n with the 75mm lens from @Mr Bump in fact. It is a lovely camera to use, I don't find it overly heavy. I also have the 645 to 67 adapter. I like the camera for the reason you state, it has autofocus, as well as manual and 'A' mode, that's probably one of the reasons why I haven't sold it, takes nice photos too.

good man, I realy liked it, I was playing more with my RB67 at the time so I just wasn't using it and it was a pricey camera.
I have moved away from medium format and just play with some old folders for that thrill.

Its all about my F2 and my FE2 now

Thanks Kevin, very interesting. My concerns are that it does only have a small zoom and that if it goes wrong it's basically dead.

I shall cogitate and ruminate some more.

Probably not what you are after Andy, but Ffordes have a Pentax 645 for £299, but only a 15 day warranty. They also seem to have an 80-160mm zoom for it at £239. I know you are looking for AF, but surely you'd be using this on a tripod? :thinking:
http://ffordes.com/product/18090609363881

@Andysnap What are you thinking Andy?

You’ll buy it, put a roll or 3 through it, be delighted with the quality of the lens and the pictures it gives you but complain that you feel detached from the picture making process.

You’ll then sell it a few months down the line hopefully only losing just a little of your investment and swearing that autofocus auto exposure medium format cameras are not for you, bemoaning the plasticky feel and it’s modern electrickery do-dahs.

Then you’ll see sense and go back to your Mamiya, coz it just works.

Of course, I may be wrong :D

You’ll buy it, put a roll or 3 through it, be delighted with the quality of the lens and the pictures it gives you but complain that you feel detached from the picture making process.

You’ll then sell it a few months down the line hopefully only losing just a little of your investment and swearing that autofocus auto exposure medium format cameras are not for you, bemoaning the plasticky feel and it’s modern electrickery do-dahs.

Don't care, doin it anyway :p

Just because you're right doesn't mean you can be all smug about it.:D

giphy.gif

I thought this was interesting from Tim Layton, a large format photographer who here is on the way to explaining why he finds the Nikon F is best for "freedom": https://www.timlaytonfineart.com/bl...m-for-a-large-format-photographer-the-Nikon-F :

"I bought my Pentax 645N brand new in the late 90's when it was first released. It still looks and operates like the day I got it, never needed a repair or adjustment. The 645N is one of the best hand-held cameras ever made in my opinion. The layout and use of this camera are logical, easy, and made for a photographer. The 645N and Nikon F both share these qualities. The simple reason why the 645N did not win my "ultimate freedom" crown was simply because of weight and physical size versus the Nikon F. I don't think the 645N is a big or heavy camera, it is simply larger and heavier than the Nikon F. Also, if I valued automatic focus more than I did the smaller size and weight of the Nikon F, the 645N would be the winner."

Back