Pentax closer to release of new film camera.

Personally I'd love to see a range finder style using the same mount as Leica or at a push a fixed lens.

If they're first to market with a new 35mm interchangeable lens SLR camera I think it might do very well. The key will be which lens mount they go with. If they make it compatible with modern D mount Pentax (digital) lenses it will make new lenses easier & give them a "quality" selling point, but will go against that analogue feel. Making it compatible with Pentax K/A/F will give them options but limit the availability of new lenses. They could go something like Leica M mount which would be brilliant, but takes money away from them, so I don't see it. Maybe they'll ship it with adapters or something to give people options. They'll want existing Pentax owners to buy it and won't want to upset them by making them buy into a whole nother range of lenses (I hope!).

If it's fixed lens, I think that will be a mistake. This has to be aimed at the enthusiastic amateur and they will want flexibility I reckon.
Thanks for the headsup though! Interesting news for sure!

According to the article the camera has a"manual winding" lever. So does it mean it’s a mechanical camera?
I hope it’s not another point and shoot little camera with no manual controls.
Sounds like they’re trying to attract people completely new to film, so my guess is, it’s not going to be a serious camera (my pessimistic side :p).
Good thing is, it looks like there is increasingly more interest for film. Means film is not going to be dead any time soon and hopefully film prices will go down.

I've noticed recently (before Xmas) a couple of adverts on tv where a young guy is using a SLR film camera......a new craze just have a mobile phone and a film camera?

[...] They could go something like Leica M mount which would be brilliant, but takes money away from them, so I don't see it. Maybe they'll ship it with adapters or something to give people options. They'll want existing Pentax owners to buy it and won't want to upset them by making them buy into a whole nother range of lenses (I hope!).
Leica M mount is surely no good for a SLR style? To use existing lenses, you'd have to use the same flange distance (or whatever it's called), which wouldn't leave room for the mirror. A SLR would have to be a K mount variant; they're wedded to it, which is why their mirrorless attempt was less than a success.

A large number of their digital lenses are limited to APS-C coverage, only the newer ones would cover full frame (ie "small format" ;) ). If they went with something like KA and released some new lenses, that would make a lot of people happy, and probably support the whole project.

However, I'm pretty sure I read/heard something from them that implies the first camera will not be an exchangeable lens, SLR-type camera. A full manual control fixed lens camera with a quality lens seems more likely; it would get a lot of the tech sorted while leaving some of the harder problems for later. There is a market for such things, Ricoh GR??? I personally doubt they'd go rangefinder; that's a whole bundle of tech they've not really got experience with. Some sort of digital focusing aid would be nice though?

However, I'm pretty sure I read/heard something from them that implies the first camera will not be an exchangeable lens, SLR-type camera
This saddens me. I really hope it's not like the "new" Lomo/Ilford/Kodak cameras that are basically just 35mm instamatics. If they're going to put a lightmeter in it, focus, aperture range, shutter speed range, flash sync etc, that's not going to be cheap. It'll be a fine balance between features, build quality, lens quality (and focal length) and cost.

Gonna be interesting for sure!

Leica M mount is surely no good for a SLR style
Yeah. Oops :)

I'm still not convinced of the wisdom of this. Resurgence in film, or not, I can't see it being anything other than a flash in the pan.

I'm still not convinced of the wisdom of this. Resurgence in film, or not, I can't see it being anything other than a flash in the pan.
It could be just an engineering project for Pentax (Ricoh)
I wonder how many units they would have to sell to make it a viable prospect.

I can't see it being anything special ,

Pentax (under Ricoh) are very much into the development of non-production line cameras now it seems, such as the wonderful K3iiiM. Everything I've read about the new film camera, and seen in several videos from them, suggests that this will be a manual, mechanical wind-on, fixed lens camera, but is a proof of concept for them in terms of getting back into film camera production, re-acquiring the engineering skills to go further with a series of new film cameras in a niche market. However all us Pentax fanboys are anxious about this, hoping they judge the market and economics right.

They said last year that the first releases will be high quality compact cameras but without the the high price point. After that, there will be the SLRs.

I don't expect that they will be akin to the reloadable disposable type cameras that Kodak, Harman, and other manufacturers have released recently. I'll be disappointed if they are.

I think it's great news.

If it's anything like a modern Yashica T4 or similar (good quality prime, AF, reasonably compact) I will buy it.

Actually I don't particularly care about AF and motorized advancement, I just want a great lens in a small package. I've been trying to get an Olympus XA from Japan but none has convinced me so far based on condition and price.

I'd rather spend something more on a new product - so do the deed, Pentax!

Last edited:
I've noticed recently (before Xmas) a couple of adverts on tv where a young guy is using a SLR film camera......a new craze just have a mobile phone and a film camera?
They are going to have fun when they try to fit a 35mm cassette into a mobile phone!;)

Seriously though. My first 'serious' camera was a Pentax SV way back in 1964 and that camera and 3 lenses was the one that I owned the longest. It was so simple to operate even with a seperate meter or the CDS clip on meter they started making. I think I enjoyed my photography more then than any time before but there again life was much simpler then. If they (Pentax) were to create a new camera the consumers AKA buyers will want it to be all singing and dancing with AF, A Exp and virtually foolproof (there is no such beast) It may be me but I find people who have been brought up in the world of auto everything don't want to learn I would not even like to think of how much it may cost because I doubt if it will be a mainstream seller.

Last edited:
They are going to have fun when they try to fit a 35mm cassette into a mobile phone!;)

Seriously though. My first 'serious' camera was a Pentax SV way back in 1964 and that camera and 3 lenses was the one that I owned the longest. It was so simple to operate even with a seperate meter or the CDS clip on meter they started making. I think I enjoyed my photography more then than any time before but there again life was much simpler then. If they (Pentax) were to create a new camera the consumers AKA buyers will want it to be all singing and dancing with AF, A Exp and virtually foolproof (there is no such beast) It may be me but I find people who have been brought up in the world of auto everything don't want to learn I would not even like to think of how much it may cost because I doubt if it will be a mainstream seller.
:D
Maybe Pentax are realising how good mobile phones are and why buy a digi camera, so getting Joe public to play with film cameras.
My grandson knows nothing about photography and took this shot on his i-phone, 3000px on longer side and still sharp on a blowup:-

rx9iS3A.jpg

Having worked in (used) camera retail for a few years, particularly film as well as being in and around it for much, much longer I genuinely think that if someone made something like a new MJU ii or equivalent for £250-£400, they would sell many, many of them. Brand new with a 12 month warranty would probably encourage people to spend a little more seeing they will spend £250-£300 on one knowing it may fail in the not too distant future.

Yes there are trends which will come and go, though. People used to pour into the shop daily asking for Portra 400 without knowing why they wanted that particular film or speed. They had just seen it online. If we told them we had none but we had Portra 160 which was perfect as the sun was shining or Portra 800 which is a lovely film and really good if there was less light, they would ask what the numbers meant.

Having worked in (used) camera retail for a few years, particularly film as well as being in and around it for much, much longer I genuinely think that if someone made something like a new MJU ii or equivalent for £250-£400, they would sell many, many of them. Brand new with a 12 month warranty would probably encourage people to spend a little more seeing they will spend £250-£300 on one knowing it may fail in the not too distant future.

Yes there are trends which will come and go, though. People used to pour into the shop daily asking for Portra 400 without knowing why they wanted that particular film or speed. They had just seen it online. If we told them we had none but we had Portra 160 which was perfect as the sun was shining or Portra 800 which is a lovely film and really good if there was less light, they would ask what the numbers meant.

One thing I've noticed is that film era lenses in good condition are getting harder to find at a reasonable price. If the same is true of film cameras I too can see people being tempted away from hunting for decent used kit at possibly increasing prices and buying new.

I've often wondered why companies like Samyang and TTartisan haven't brought of a version of their manual lenses in say a Canon FD mount.

I've often wondered why companies like Samyang and TTartisan haven't brought of a version of their manual lenses in say a Canon FD mount.

Good point but maybe they'd see limited sales compared to what they sell in either mirrorless or L/M mount.

One thing I've noticed is that film era lenses in good condition are getting harder to find at a reasonable price. If the same is true of film cameras I too can see people being tempted away from hunting for decent used kit at possibly increasing prices and buying new.
IMHO the lens shortage comes at least partly because of the ease of adapting them to the new breed of mirrorless digital cameras, compounded by gradual reductions in stock due to accident, de-lamination, haze, fungus etc. That's one of the reasons why I think Pentax should release some modern lenses when they get round to releasing a SLR; there'll be a real market there. Film cameras have additional weak points (electronics, meters, etc) that I suspect means the available stock is being degraded a bit faster. I really welcome this move by Pentax/Ricoh, and not just because I've kept using Pentax SLRs since 1971! There are some sceptics on this thread, and that's just fine; it's enthusiasts (and probably "inflooncers") who'll buy it! I'm not sure I'd want a fixed lens film camera, but if it's decent quality and fits my general interest (like some of the Ricoh GR maybe?), then I might give it a go.

IMHO the lens shortage comes at least partly because of the ease of adapting them to the new breed of mirrorless digital cameras, compounded by gradual reductions in stock due to accident, de-lamination, haze, fungus etc. That's one of the reasons why I think Pentax should release some modern lenses when they get round to releasing a SLR; there'll be a real market there. Film cameras have additional weak points (electronics, meters, etc) that I suspect means the available stock is being degraded a bit faster. I really welcome this move by Pentax/Ricoh, and not just because I've kept using Pentax SLRs since 1971! There are some sceptics on this thread, and that's just fine; it's enthusiasts (and probably "inflooncers") who'll buy it! I'm not sure I'd want a fixed lens film camera, but if it's decent quality and fits my general interest (like some of the Ricoh GR maybe?), then I might give it a go.

Just what is your reasoning behind that?

The Nikon Range of electronic DSLR's started around 2001 and the Canon range a year or so before try and find a working model of a D100 or a D30 today! I have a number of old film cameras which have electronics from the mid 1970's and earlier that are still functioning well (Nikon F601, Nikon F2a, Nikon FT3, Minolta XM, Minolta XE1. They have stood the test of time. I also have prime lenses to fit them which are probably as good as they get, but zoom lenses tend so it seems to attract dust, haze and fungus like a magnet.
You just have to read the adverts of a couple of dealers where their assessment of used equipment is probably a little more exact than others to see the number of lenses that are downgraded because of dust, haze or fungus.

The worst of the lot is my Nikon 35/70AF constant F2.8 which is truly dreadful and no repairer will touch it. That zoom is a push/pull type which sucks in air when you move the zoom ring and along with it, dust and obviously dampness to create a good environment for all three problems.

Last edited:
Just what is your reasoning behind that?
"That" being " Film cameras have additional weak points (electronics, meters, etc) that I suspect means the available stock is being degraded a bit faster."

Well, an over-generalisation to be sure. There are indeed many film cameras that have stood the test of time and will continue to do so. But as they got into the Auto-focus, auto-wind, program mode era, they were making use of relatively early electronics that does appear to be prone to failure... and they were packing it all into a relatively tight space. Quite a few folk are reluctant to buy some brands of otherwise highly desirable cameras like Contax G2 etc etc because of the risk you end up with an expensive brick. Even my MX started to have serious film spacing problems, which (surprisingly) weren't fixed with a new wind mechanism.

I guess the same applies to an extent to some later film camera lenses, but that didn't cross my mind quite so much as I don't own any. The old fully manual lenses are on the whole pretty robust, but they do still have problems.

I guess we could all mention quite a few highly reliable workhorse film cameras and lenses, as well as quite a few suspect ones. However, I still think that newer optical versions and modern manufacturing techniques would help to attract buyers for lenses as well as new film cameras.

like some of the Ricoh GR maybe?
If they released a film camera that was a GR3 with snap focus, as they say in the US: "I'd be all over that s**t".

If they released a film camera that was a GR3 with snap focus, as they say in the US: "I'd be all over that s**t".
I must admit that when I hear talk of this new Pentax film camera I think of the GR3, as possibly the closest to a point and shoot experience. I'd go further. Fit it with an optical viewfinder, do away with the viewscreen and only be able to see the images once you've downloaded them. There's your film experience, right there.

I must admit that when I hear talk of this new Pentax film camera I think of the GR3, as possibly the closest to a point and shoot experience. I'd go further. Fit it with an optical viewfinder, do away with the viewscreen and only be able to see the images once you've downloaded them. There's your film experience, right there.
I’ve put black fabric texture over the screen of my x pro 1 in the past :). I couldn’t resist the temptation to look every once in a while and the tape sorted it.
There’s a camera that’s looking like what you described called “Camp Snap”

I'd go further. Fit it with an optical viewfinder, do away with the viewscreen and only be able to see the images once you've downloaded them. There's your film experience, right there.

Fun idea for some I'm sure, but you'd be surprised at how many people actually shoot and scan (or print) film because they prefer the look of scanned (or printed) film to the look of images coming out of a digicam. Not everyone is doing it for the 'experience'.

I’ve put black fabric texture over the screen of my x pro 1 in the past :). I couldn’t resist the temptation to look every once in a while and the tape sorted it.
There’s a camera that’s looking like what you described called “Camp Snap”

Well I never. I'm not connected in any way, honest! :p

Fun idea for some I'm sure, but you'd be surprised at how many people actually shoot and scan (or print) film because they prefer the look of scanned (or printed) film to the look of images coming out of a digicam. Not everyone is doing it for the 'experience'.

No, I know. I'll quite often post scans here myself.

As good as it sounds, I cannot see any new camera being any more than a possibly high quality point and just paying lip service to producing a new film camera. Because to make something of the likes of Grandson of Spotmatic that will cost them dear to make and even more if it fails to take off.

I can just imagine the feeding frenzy the shareholders would have with the CEO and the Board of the likes of Pentax if it all went pear-shaped and fell at the 1st hurdle. To be honest, sadly, I cannot blame them, Putting it bluntly, there just isn't the market out there for a high quality camera in the same vein as say an updated Nikon FE2/3 or a Canon A1 or even a Nikon F100 . They do not produce the goods instantaneously like an Iphone

I am not waving the flag for digital, far from it, but camera users are lazy and will not change, why use a darkroom when a few buttons on the camera will do the same? Darkroom and film users like us are in the tiny minority.

Even the likes of the Royal Photographic Society are pulling back more and more from film based imagery. I class this as removing the foundations of photography as a whole.

Last edited:
I think there's definitely a market for it. Not mass market - it won't attract general consumers to buy one, and it's not going to pull people away from digital cameras or mobile phone cameras in most cases. What it will attract is people who enjoy using film and would like to buy a new, good quality film camera (even if it's a point-and-shoot), particularly the younger market who have largely revitalised the format in recent years (and as a result driven up the prices of the second hand market). Will all film users buy one. No. Will enough people to satisfy the expectations of Ricoh? I think that probably, yes, they will.

As good as it sounds, I cannot see any new camera being any more than a possibly high quality point and just paying lip service to producing a new film camera. Because to make something of the likes of Grandson of Spotmatic that will cost them dear to make and even more if it fails to take off.

I can just imagine the feeding frenzy the shareholders would have with the CEO and the Board of the likes of Pentax if it all went pear-shaped and fell at the 1st hurdle. To be honest, sadly, I cannot blame them, Putting it bluntly, there just isn't the market out there for a high quality camera in the same vein as say an updated Nikon FE2/3 or a Canon A1 or even a Nikon F100 . They do not produce the goods instantaneously like an Iphone

I am not waving the flag for digital, far from it, but camera users are lazy and will not change, why use a darkroom when a few buttons on the camera will do the same? Darkroom and film users like us are in the tiny minority.

Even the likes of the Royal Photographic Society are pulling back more and more from film based imagery. I class this as removing the foundations of photography as a whole.

Going by the above I suspect (and I mean it in the nicest way possible) that you're not part of the target demographic for this project.

Pentax aren't anticipating a large market for it. They have moved to a production model that is not volume targeted now, but are focusing on the engineering developments and their niche markets for DSLR, the k3iiiMono, the specialised WG90, Ricoh GR3 in various targeted versions, and the Theta 360. I think a new film camera or cameras will find a market, perhaps limited, but sufficient to make it a worthwhile exercise for them.

Going by the above I suspect (and I mean it in the nicest way possible) that you're not part of the target demographic for this project.
I don't know who the target is. I am quite happy with what I have got and what they can do for me but it simply is a fact new equipment is not not going to be a big seller, not in todays world where electronic imagery is what people want - even if it is artificially created. Large companies are not going to put their shareholders investment at risk with a project that may cost £xxxxxx, but only bring an income of less than half of £x!

It is pure common sense not a lot to do with demographic subject. The latest offerings by the likes of Nikon et al, will largely be made by robots and then tested by robots with little input by technicians whereas their previous masterpieces such as the F2 was to all intents and purposes almost hand made (apart from larger components which were body castings in metal) and assembled then adjusted by a human. That humans salary is a cost and takes a great chunk of any profit the item may create, I think we will have to hope the still quite numerous used cameras/lenses last a lot longer.

Have a look at the website hosted by West Yorkshire Cameras who probably are the most critical of all the used equipment sellers, but they describe what they have with what I have found to be true honesty and show the warts and all that used equipment tend to have. Especially lenses with most having dust, haze or fungus. We can do with new cameras/lenses but at what cost are they to be sold at? Hence no big market. If you think that a new Leica traditional rangefinder is expensive then new cameras from traditional manufacturers will be around the same

I think there's definitely a market for it. Not mass market - it won't attract general consumers to buy one, and it's not going to pull people away from digital cameras or mobile phone cameras in most cases. What it will attract is people who enjoy using film and would like to buy a new, good quality film camera (even if it's a point-and-shoot), particularly the younger market who have largely revitalised the format in recent years (and as a result driven up the prices of the second hand market). Will all film users buy one. No. Will enough people to satisfy the expectations of Ricoh? I think that probably, yes, they will.
I will agree there will be a market for one BUT not a mass market which is where the manufacturer will be able to make a profit. Share holders are only interest in profits!

Part 3 of the new Pentax Film Camera update is now on you tube.

A vertical, zone focussing, half frame camera with the lens like the one from the Pentax Espio Mini.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqRQTOkhOJU
Half frame o_O I would have thought it would encourage users to use like a digi camera with poorer results compared to full frame. Anyway advice always given here for film use is to slow down, compose properly etc etc and for me it takes ages to get through 36 shots most times.

Last edited:
Great presentation. The camera may not appeal to a lot of existing photographers except for the die-hard Pentax fans like me, but I love the enthusiasm to create it and I'll almost certainly buy one even if I don't really have the use for it, as it might be a good replacement for my Olympus XA2 that is my pocketable film camera.

I can follow their logic, but I am a bit disappointed. There seem to be a plethora of cheap half frame cameras around these days; they do appear quite popular. Pentax will have to do something special to stand out in this crowd, but it does appear they might achieve that. (For me, if I wanted a half frame camera, I'd probably go for an Olympus Pen with inter-changeable lenses.)

However, I do have to keep reminding myself, that this is a first toe in the water, and if successful, more cameras are likely to follow. I am sure they have done their market research. There would be nothing worse than them developing an advanced film camera that doesn't sell enough to make a profit for them!

What a nice guy,
About the camera as I originally predicted it’s for newcomers..
However, I do have to keep reminding myself, that this is a first toe in the water, and if successful, more cameras are likely to follow. I am sure they have done their market research. There would be nothing worse than them developing an advanced film camera that doesn't sell enough to make a profit for them!
I agree, and as he said at the end of the video this might be the beginning for other manufacturers might start making cameras if there’s an audience.
But it makes sense for them to make such a camera. I imagine making a high end film camera would cost way way more than a high end used film camera (high end meaning quality materials). And chances is that not too many would be interested buying such a camera.
Well I’m happy that film is slowly brought back to the scene of photography

I think it's good news.

The 20somethings who like to shoot Portra 400 will be pleased by the number of frames per roll obtainable given how expensive that film is.

Also the 3x4 vertical frame will be a perfect fit for Tiktok and other phone-based app.

I really don't think 'quality' will be a concern. Many people in the presumed target audience shoot film, and not digital cameras, because they seek some its low-fi characteristics (grain, highlight halation) and they'll get nice grain from well scanned half frame negatives.

I will probably buy one too, if it has a good lens. I have often eyed those Olympus PEN cameras on ebay japan but never purchased one, as I have often been put off by less than ideal condition (mould, rotten seals etc). Would rather spend my money on a new, fresh product, also because this might help supporting other more ambitious projects by the same team.

Last edited:
I also wouldn't mind betting that Pentax, with the optical capabilities of the Ricoh corporation, will have a small scanner device not far behind, to take the dev'd film and produce jpgs just the right size for social media uploading. It would be daft for no-one to do that if Pentax create the market with this camera - I detect shades of Steve Jobs in the strategic thinking, to expand a minimal market into a bigger one with the introduction of "cool" gadgets.

Back