Pentax K1000 Metering issue

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
The internal meter on my Pentax K1000 is quite a bit off in the overexposure direction. Does anyone have any ideas what might be the issue?

I've replaced the battery - no difference

I've tried different shutter speeds, apartures and shifted the ISO thingy - it's about 4 stops out

I've only one lens (50mm 1.7) - If I remove it the meter reading looks more reasonable, e.g. the needle drops when I remove the lens..

I could use it without metering, but I'm lazy and I like to use it

What battery are you using?

Some Pentax cameras need the correct voltage battery, some (like the Spotmatic but not the F) will work correctly with an alkaline battery

Is the simplest temporary solution (before a CLA) to shift the ASA setting by 4 stops?

Is the simplest temporary solution (before a CLA) to shift the ASA setting by 4 stops?
The ASA settings probably don't have enough range for anything but 100ASA film.

General possibilities (I have not worked on a K1000, but in principle they are unlikely to be very different from others)

The switch on the ASA dial could be the problem, as could the switch on the shutter speed knob, or the pot on the aperture.

The switches on the ASA and shutter speed can corrode or the resistors between the become faulty

Changing the aperture, shutter speed or ASA should result in a smooth change of the meter, if any of them don't, that could be the first place to look

The ASA settings probably don't have enough range for anything but 100ASA film.

General possibilities (I have not worked on a K1000, but in principle they are unlikely to be very different from others)

The switch on the ASA dial could be the problem, as could the switch on the shutter speed knob, or the pot on the aperture.

The switches on the ASA and shutter speed can corrode or the resistors between the become faulty

Changing the aperture, shutter speed or ASA should result in a smooth change of the meter, if any of them don't, that could be the first place to look
Thanks.. that seems to make sense to me. I'm not technically minded, I'll have a search locally to see if anyone can take a proper look... it's not the most expensive camera I own so might be cheaper to buy another

The man for all things Pentax is Peter Emanuel at Asahi Photo Services. It's certainly worth getting it CLA'd. He's done a few for me, and they are all top notch.

The ASA / ISO goes as low as 20…so just over 2 stops down from 100…(?)

Back