Pentax ME

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
Anyone have any experience with one of these, what are they like?

Anyone have any experience with one of these, what are they like?

I used one off and on for over 30 years. It's an excellent camera, but only does aperture exposure; no manual settings at all. You do get a 4x, 2x, 1, 1/2x, 1/4x exposure compensation dial. Couple it with the lovely Pentax-M primes and you're good to go. :pentax:

I'm away from mine at the moment, so I can't remember if there's a little telltale window visible in the viewfinder showing the aperture. Read the reviews here. Good rating of 8.25.

TBF, mine is currently non-functional. It's started to rip the sprocket holes before the end of the reel, and the wind-on lever won't stay in the "stand-off" position required for the meter to stay on. Since I bought it new, I want to get it fixed, but Miles Whitehead said he didn't have and couldn't source a spring for the stand-off lever.

I used one off and on for over 30 years. It's an excellent camera, but only does aperture exposure; no manual settings at all. You do get a 4x, 2x, 1, 1/2x, 1/4x exposure compensation dial. Couple it with the lovely Pentax-M primes and you're good to go. :pentax:

I'm away from mine at the moment, so I can't remember if there's a little telltale window visible in the viewfinder showing the aperture. Read the reviews here. Good rating of 8.25.

TBF, mine is currently non-functional. It's started to rip the sprocket holes before the end of the reel, and the wind-on lever won't stay in the "stand-off" position required for the meter to stay on. Since I bought it new, I want to get it fixed, but Miles Whitehead said he didn't have and couldn't source a spring for the stand-off lever.

There must be an equivalent spring somewhere!

I wonder if these folk might have a solution? http://harrowtechnical.co.uk/camera-faults/

Might be worth keeping an eye on ebay for a cheap body to use for parts?

well been offered the ME for free. Would have liked to have been offered a Hasselblad 500CM but alas that was not what transpired

They were neat little SLRs in their day.

Check the metering and viewfinder. I had a ME Super that started to meter erratically after 20 years and the viewfinder had a bit of internal corrosion that developed slowly. Batteries tend to last a long time (button cells) so they can sit in the camera for a while. Check that the battery compartment is clean and no leaks or corrosion.

Back