Beginner Pentax P30 Issues

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I have recently bought a Pentax P30 someone was selling for £10 as a hopeful purchase. It would appear that the camera is in a basic level of working condition however I have encountered a few problems.

First of all, and I would assume this is the main issue, when looking through the view finder the display is completely blank (the mirror is shut closed) and the number 1 is flickering. All other LEDs are functioning correctly. The manuals I have read, have suggested that it is a battery issue so I replaced the batteries but the same issue occured. Another manual suggested that there is an issue with the "release magnet" but I didn't understand the solution for this.

The other issues, I assume are related to the battery problem: The wind lever doesn't go further than the 'rapid shot mode'; the exposure count is on 'S' i've been told this is 'start mode' so I assume this isn't an issue at the moment; pressing the shutter button turns off the flashing light but there is no shutter sound and the mirrors remian shut.

I hope this is enough context, I am very new to this, any help is very much appreciated

Thanks.

Hi and welcome.

There is another thread here :

on Pentax P30 problems. So perhaps there is a clue in there for you. As I mention in there I have a P30n but have never experienced anything like your problem, lucky me perhaps, and I have had it a many years now. I resurrected it some months ago and with anew battery it worked fine lucky? So it is possible that @Peter B is correct, Have you inserted the batteries the right way, I'm sure you have? I must check on the other thread as I don't know if he managed to sort out his problems.

I hope you get sorted soon.

Howard

These cameras have a shutter operated by a tiny electro magnet. It is not uncommon to get 'sticky magnets' which in extreme circumstances do exactly what yours is doing. They can be cleaned but I have no idea how to go about it. As you only paid £10 for it, there could be a gamble if you try to service it yourself without the correct manual or tools or splash out a further £40-50 and have it done professionally.

I doubt very much if it is the batteries, as they have already been replaced and I'm assuming the camera won't wind on either. If it were a battery problem or inserted the wrong way round, the LED's would not show any life at all.

Another make of camera that shares a similar shutter is the Minolta auto/manual such as the XD x300/700 x300S XG series and that is also a common fault with them usually due to lack of use.

Back