Pentax67 mk2

steveclem said:
How much is this thing going for? Guildford you say....................? :)

LCE Guildford. They've got a couple. Mk2 with metered prism and 90mm. Very nice 599.
Earlier 6x7 non metered prism 105mm. Some brassing, grip. Not bad 399.

LCE Guildford. They've got a couple. Mk2 with metered prism and 90mm. Very nice 599.
Earlier 6x7 non metered prism 105mm. Some brassing, grip. Not bad 399.

Is it the leaf shutter version of the 90mm or one of the later two versions without it? A 67 is the camera that I've always wanted to get when I finally get into earning some real money (i.e somewhen after I graduate this July and hopefully manage to get a job somewhere!).
From what I've previously read, the later non LS 90 is better optically but obviously you then lose the high flash sync that you get with the LS although Pentax will not service the LS anymore apparently and a lot of repair services won't touch them either as their so difficult to service/repair without them malfunctioning again a while later. I don't know quite how true that is, but if its the LS 90mm then I would check explicitly that the LS does work properly.

s162216 said:
Is it the leaf shutter version of the 90mm or one of the later two versions without it? A 67 is the camera that I've always wanted to get when I finally get into earning some real money (i.e somewhen after I graduate this July and hopefully manage to get a job somewhere!).
From what I've previously read, the later non LS 90 is better optically but obviously you then lose the high flash sync that you get with the LS although Pentax will not service the LS anymore apparently and a lot of repair services won't touch them either as their so difficult to service/repair without them malfunctioning again a while later. I don't know quite how true that is, but if its the LS 90mm then I would check explicitly that the LS does work properly.

Sadly it's the non leaf shutter version. They do have a 165 LS for 249. Offered it to me as a bundle with the 6x7 and 105 at £600

For some reason, the 6x7 has piqued my interest once more. Can anyone comment on the handling without the wooden grip? I'm thinking with the 105mm, in terms of weight and how it holds especially.

They handle OK , like a giant SLR ;)

Depends on how tight or loose the lens is
Mine work as they should nice and smooth

Depends on how tight or loose the lens is
Mine work as they should nice and smooth

Ah, okay. There seems to be a distinct lack of them in the UK (compared to other markets) - or maybe people are just holding onto them.

The 67 is built like a tank , very rarely go wrong

David Bailey , Lord Lichfield and a few other all used the in the day

Dont think I will ever part with mine ;)

The wooden grip is useful if you're wandering around but I don't find it particularly useful when I'm actually taking photos.

There is a very enticing panoramic kit available for around £40 that allows 35mm to shoot 24x66mm images.

Getting more and more won over...!

Anyone seen any MLU versions (not the newer mk2) up for sale recently?

Last edited:
There is a very enticing panoramic kit available for around £40 that allows 35mm to shoot 24x66mm images.

Getting more and more won over...!

Anyone seen any MLU versions (not the newer mk2) up for sale recently?

I have the same kit :)

Theres actually 4 versions of the Pentax 67: the 6x7, 6x7 MU, the 67 and the 67II. Only the original Pentax 6x7 was produced as a MU version where it was added onto the camera design after a couple of production years, however the succeeding and similarly named '67' produced from 1989 featured it as standard (the 67II came along in 1998).

A 67 is probably best to look for as they usually sell for much less than the 67II but are also newer than the original 6x7/6x7MU and as so likely to be in better condition. A Pentax 67 is my dream camera to have one day as I just really love the images that I've seen from them and do generally like Pentax cameras/lenses quite a lot (just need to get a job after I graduate in a few weeks and then perhaps...). Shame that the 67II was discontinued a few years ago simply because it contained lead and cadmium so under EU rules it wouldn't be legal to sell in Europe and apparently would have cost too much to re-design.

Might be worth ringing LCE in Guildford. They still had a 6x7 body the last time I passed by. From memory with 105 lens @ £399.

Might be worth ringing LCE in Guildford. They still had a 6x7 body the last time I passed by. From memory with 105 lens @ £399.

Is this the one you are buying Trevor , Opps! sorry " was going to buy " :LOL:

Theres actually 4 versions of the Pentax 67: the 6x7, 6x7 MU, the 67 and the 67II. Only the original Pentax 6x7 was produced as a MU version where it was added onto the camera design after a couple of production years, however the succeeding and similarly named '67' produced from 1989 featured it as standard (the 67II came along in 1998).

A 67 is probably best to look for as they usually sell for much less than the 67II but are also newer than the original 6x7/6x7MU and as so likely to be in better condition. A Pentax 67 is my dream camera to have one day as I just really love the images that I've seen from them and do generally like Pentax cameras/lenses quite a lot (just need to get a job after I graduate in a few weeks and then perhaps...). Shame that the 67II was discontinued a few years ago simply because it contained lead and cadmium so under EU rules it wouldn't be legal to sell in Europe and apparently would have cost too much to re-design.

The original 67 with no mirror lock up suffered vibration , hence the mirror up on later versions

The mirror is huge and when fired sounded like someone slamming the front door :eek:

Thanks Trevor. Nothing on their website but I'll give them a buzz when I get the opportunity.

Is this the one you are buying Trevor , Opps! sorry " was going to buy " :LOL:

No. It was a 67 mk2. I decided to pass. Bought a Fuji GW690 instead.

They still have it in - but without the metered prism head unfortunately.

Maybe if I stop looking, one will appear...

Last edited:
How often do you owners use the mirror up function?

I'm not much of a landscape/tripod shooter so I don't think I'd get much use out of it, and there is an old 6x7 on eBay at the moment - without mirror up means it dates to early 70s, which is okay to me seeing as my Rolleiflex was built in the late 50s!

They are overpriced... that's why they have been sitting there for some time.

I definitely see why mirror up is useful, I am more interested to know how often it is actually used by owners. I'm mostly wanting the camera to take portraits...

Every shot , You need to make them ALL count so eliminating mirror vibration is important ( well to me it is ;) )

I'm not much of a landscape/tripod shooter so I don't think I'd get much use out of it, and there is an old 6x7 on eBay at the moment - without mirror up means it dates to early 70s, which is okay to me seeing as my Rolleiflex was built in the late 50s!

When I was considering a 6x7 the mirror up was a priority. I even lock it up on F2's when shooting at slow speeds. Obviously tripod mounted.
Even if you rarely use it, chances are one day you'll need it.

67 in any form are somewhat large

If using hand held you need to be the tripod / firm support :)

Thanks gents. I reserve most long exposure stuff for my DSLR (cretin, I know).

:clap: next stop the gym to help carry it about :LOL:

I have a 105mm on mine it gives great shallow depth of field.

It is incredibly heavy, but feels superb. And next to my Pentax Auto 110... hilarious!

It is incredibly heavy, but feels superb. And next to my Pentax Auto 110... hilarious!

Time for you to show us. And if you don't mind revealing it....how much ?

I did a lot of reading on these cameras a while back but I am swayed towards the Mamiya RB67.

AFAIK there were essentially 3 models...the original 6x7, then the 67 and then the 67 II.

The 67 was the first to have MLU (Essential!) but they had battery issues with long exposures.

This was fixed with the 67II which is capable of long exposures without worries of battery life.

There were also issues with an internal chain link that played up...can't remember if it was 6x7 or newer 67...

There are also some film door issues with some 67II cameras due to a little spring loaded pin top left inside actuated by the film door which resets the camera if the tension drops.

I wasted 2 or 3 rolls this way with a 67II I was very keen on buying...

I will probably still buy one just for the sake of owning it. They are beautiful machines!

But that will only be after I bought my RB 67 Pro SD and all the related gadgets...

Last edited:
I read about the "battery life" issue when I bought one, turns out the orginal 6x7 bulb setting working as a mechanical item.

On the Pentax 67 they changed it so that it all ran on a battery BUT the chaps who used it for astronomy, found that the battery would only hold the shutter open for 5 hours and so kicked up a fuss. Pentax technicians then altered them, not sure if was in production as well, so the bulb was back to working mechanically.

As I have yet to do a 5 hour exposure I am not sure if it is an issue or not :)

The 5 hours battery life is never going to be an issue for me and the delicate chain only really becomes a problem if you let a muppet take off the prism and then bugger about with the aperture on the lens, it's then likely the little chain will snap :bang:

The 5 hours battery life is never going to be an issue for me and the delicate chain only really becomes a problem if you let a muppet take off the prism and then bugger about with the aperture on the lens, it's then likely the little chain will snap :bang:

Thanks for that info Nick!(y)

I purely repeated what I read...no first hand experience with any but the latest 67II and that infuriating battery door issue on the one I wanted to buy...

5 hours...mmmhhhh...now THAT is something I might well see myself doing...

Thanks for that info Nick!(y)

I purely repeated what I read...no first hand experience with any but the latest 67II and that infuriating battery door issue on the one I wanted to buy...

5 hours...mmmhhhh...now THAT is something I might well see myself doing...

infuriating battery door issue

Must be a dud , my one opens easily , I remove the batteries after every use just to be on the safe side ;)

Must be a dud , my one opens easily , I remove the batteries after every use just to be on the safe side ;)

Nahh, it is a known issue...not sure but presume it affects the 67II only.

The film door opens easily but there is a little spring loaded pin top left where the film door closes.

That little pin actuates against the camera film door and when it is compressed the camera knows the door is closed and therefore assumes the presence of a film.

When it loses tension it wreaks havoc;) This is because relaxed tension tells the camera that the film door is open and therefore it resets the camera to accept the next film.

Absolutely no good when you are on the 2nd or 3rd exposure of the roll..l.:bang::bang::bang:

Last edited:

Apologies...typo on battery door, should have been film door...:bonk:

Back