Pentax67 mk2

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
No
Help...so, I'm walking past my local camera shop and I glance in the window. A Pentax 67 mk2 complete with 90mm (I think) lens catches my eye. I walk in and hold it (bugger...shouldn't have done that)

Now I'm thinking of trading my TLR's for it.
Am I insane...I know nothing about them.
I love my Rollei..should I let it go ? Really enjoying my F2's at the moment. Should I stick with them as my only SLR's. the thing is I'd like to shoot a bit wider than my Rollei.
I can get a wide lens for the Pentax...or should I follow Andys lead and go for a Mamiya TLR.....HELP....:bonk:

If you have the money why not get it......I'm lucky as I'm a tight ar*e and can control my urges...erm well most of the time :)

excalibur2 said:
If you have the money why not get it......I'm lucky as I'm a tight ar*e and can control my urges...erm well most of the time :)

Yeah...spent an awful lot lately. That's why I'd have to trade something.

Trevor if you really want one, can afford it and can't wait then just buy it, if on the other hand you can hang on a while til mine comes back from its service we can meet up somewhere photographically interesting and you can put a roll through mine.

I saw one on a website the other day (think it was LCE) for £399, body, lens, prism and grip. Don't think it was a mk2, maybe a 6x7 MU.

Luckily it seems to be sold as I was sorely tempted!

Last edited:
Hmm, this is probably not being helpful, but I love mine (especially for the 105mm f2.4) and would replace it in an instant if anything were to happen to it.

I've done with TLR's, I'd take the Pentax all day long....well that or Pentacon 6..

I love TLRs but there is something very serious and engaging about those Pentax 67, sorry not helping much!

Last edited:
RaglanSurf said:
Trevor if you really want one, can afford it and can't wait then just buy it, if on the other hand you can hang on a while til mine comes back from its service we can meet up somewhere photographically interesting and you can put a roll through mine.

That's a very generous offer Nick. Just might take you up on it.
Interested to know whether you can shoot it hand held ok.
I read that it really needs a very heavy duty tripod. I only use my TLR's tripod mounted, like the freedom of hand held if possible. I know I could hand hold the TLR's but I find I take too long to compose and focus, hence the tripod. This means I use them only rarely....ramble..ramble..

I love TLRs but there is some very serious and engaging about those Pentax 67, sorry not helping much!

+1

Sadly I already have 2 medium format systems without needing to take on another one - shame!

Yeah I have a Pentax 67 but mine has a 105mm f2.4 lens. :love:

They are great and yes you can hand hold them with out to much problem. I have a friend who used them all the time and used film from 125ISO upwards.

The 90mm lens on the one you were looking at will be the "leaf shutter" one because as they stand the 67 will only flash sync at 1/30th sec.

You can wide angle lens for it from 35mm fisheye, up to 75mm with and with out shift capability. In fact you cna lens upto 1000mm but they are rare.

I have used mine on a Benbo Mk1 tripod(with mirror lock up) and a 10 stop filter with out any issues and the Benbo is not the heaviest of tripods.

As the Pentax is a MASSIVE SLR it is very quick and easy to use and as it has a metering prism (well most do) you don't need a light meter all the time.

They are eletronic so are battey dependent unlike the TLRs which are all mechanical.

Yes you mad for wanting one but I would not swap mine for anything :LOL:

I think my Flickr link has some P67 stuff on it all hand held.

Thanks Knikki. Really useful information....bugger....gonna have to go and hold it again.

If a Pentax 67 is good enough for Nick Brandt then it's good enough for me. Unfortunately I've got an MF slr so you'll have to buy it instead of me.

If you're not going to mount it on a tripod then I'd definitely recommend finding one with the grip.

If it is a Pentax 67 MkII the latest one then the body was rescluptured and has a grip already built in on the right had side.

If it is the older ones then I don't see what advantage the grip gives you unless you want to mount a flash, on the other hand the grip does make it easier to carry :)

I have one on mine and if you use it like a normal 35mm camera, so left hand under the body/lens to support and right hand on side of body with finger on shutter release, then the grip really does not do anything.

Last edited:
...on the other hand the grip does make it easier to carry :)

I think you answered your own question ;)

It is a bit of a beast and if you're lugging the thing round all day it's going to help.

DO IT :D

I have a 67 MK11 system and love it

You wont regret it ;)

F1.2 said:
DO IT :D

I have a 67 MK11 system and love it

You wont regret it ;)

Bugger...just when I was beginning to put it to the back of my mind...

F1.2 said:
Have you done it yet :LOL:

Not yet. Still a bit unsure how much use I'll put it too.

Just a few images to tempt you :LOL:

IMG_1796-1.jpg

IMG_1797-1.jpg

Mmmm

IMG_1798-1.jpg

:D:D:D

IMG_1799-1.jpg

(y)(y)(y)

IMG_1800-1.jpg

Resistance is futile :LOL::LOL:

F1.2 said:
Just a few images to tempt you :LOL:

Mmmm

:D:D:D

(y)(y)(y)

Resistance is futile :LOL::LOL:

Stop it. Just checked my lottery....bugger...

:thinking::love::LOL:

One day opportunities like this will be gone, buy it, use it and if it doesn't float your boat,sell it, any loss can be considered hire costs.

steveclem said:
One day opportunities like this will be gone, buy it, use it and if it doesn't float your boat,sell it, any loss can be considered hire costs.

I needed a push. I'll pop by the shop tomorrow and see if its still there...been giving it a LOT of thought..

Go for it Trevor :LOL:

There big, noisey but the Pentax MkII is a way easier camera to use than the earlier ones as it much more electronics on it.

Its only a matter of time :LOL:

I'll pop by the shop tomorrow and see if its still there

So how are you finding the NEW 67 :love::love::LOL::LOL:

F1.2 said:
So how are you finding the NEW 67 :love::love::LOL::LOL:

Sadly didn't make it out, nor today. Real life got in my way. Hopefully tomorrow...

Was today the day :love:

Just got home from the shop...without it.

Simply cannot make my mind up. i love my Rollei but hardly use it. Having a lot of fun with my Nikon F2's.

Guess I'm afraid it'll just sit in the bag for high days and the special shot..for me that makes it hard to justify..still thinking though..

I'm still very intrigued by them, but hardly any good examples come up which are good value for money. Either they are brassed to hell (cosmetically I don't have a problem with that at all, it's just likely to be needing a CLA soon), or sometimes it doesn't have the lens I'd like on it.

Should probably just invest my efforts into a Hasselblad 150mm Sonnar instead...

Just got home from the shop...without it.

Simply cannot make my mind up. i love my Rollei but hardly use it. Having a lot of fun with my Nikon F2's.

Guess I'm afraid it'll just sit in the bag for high days and the special shot..for me that makes it hard to justify..still thinking though..

:( Shame it has not worked out " YET " :D

I see that Steveo_mcg has dived in and bought a 67 off the classifieds, just like that!

ChrisR said:
I see that Steveo_mcg has dived in and bought a 67 off the classifieds, just like that!

Don't think it's a Pentax tho'

You need to do some hard thinking. Can you afford it? Will you use it? What does it offer which your TLRs don't? Will it suit your style of photography?....

Then go and get it!!

Steve.

Steve Smith said:
You need to do some hard thinking. Can you afford it? Will you use it? What does it offer which your TLRs don't? Will it suit your style of photography?....

Then go and get it!!

Steve.

Yep, maybe, interchangeable lenses, probably.

I wanted one of these 20 years ago.

Back