People like this **** me off

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Grr... Speaking to an owner of a small news website right now who seems to believe that every image is free if you can right click on it. Some selected quotes below. What does everyone think?

"It's a free country, what's stopping me using widely used images?"

"Get a grip, they're not going to prosecute a small website using images that are free to copy and paste - there's no right click disable on their website so what's stopping me? Some ****** copyright law"

"When I take photo's, I don't care who uses it"

"Say I take photo's for the Times, then the times pay me for it and people take it off the times website. Am I losing out?"

"Then there's the Associated Press All images from them are FREE"

Argh.

Only £30 to issue small claims, and the form is damn easy.

I'd do it as a matter of principle.

Agree with all of the above.

Here's a new quotation: "I'm not paying for photo's at my age just starting out in what I believe should be a free society"

Luckily he's not taking any of my images, but his idea of a free society where images are free is absolute nonsense.

Gotta love 'em

Does he drive... Ask him if he leaves his car unlocked with the keys in it :D

It is entertaining - he is a young person but his news website also has a libellous article on it. Age is no excuse for breaking the law!

Arrogant, ignorant b*st*rd! (insert vowels of choice). Hope someone sues the *rse off him.

Show him my website if you like, see if theres anything on there he fancies stealing :D

The cheeky burger even has a copyright notice at the foot of the page :D

They don't like the taste of their own medicine; I just said that I'll be selling one of their articles to newspapers worldwide and they objected. I said that it's a free society where we're all allowed to copy and got this response:

"I send an e-mail to every newspaper, press outlet and interested party in the country. To tell them that you copied content"

Ha ha ha.

They don't like the taste of their own medicine; I just said that I'll be selling one of their articles to newspapers worldwide and they objected. I said that it's a free society where we're all allowed to copy and got this response:

"I send an e-mail to every newspaper, press outlet and interested party in the country. To tell them that you copied content"

Ha ha ha.

he sounds like the kinds person that id have a strong urge to punch.

frankly speaking lol

Sorry but with loads of "large" news websites out there, what is the point of Johnny Idiot, starting up a small news website? I bet he's sitting there scratching his head as to why his hit rate has gone from 3 a day to 15 today!!!! :LOL:

To clarify, if any photographer contacted the site requesting their image be removed then I would happily comply. Although at this moment and time we are a small website, that isn't using that many images - I mean come on, party logo's are the most widely used! - and as such, haven't looked in to the whole issue surrounding the use of images.

Scott has recommended me what seems to be a very good image plug-in for wordpress, where the images are legal and free.

Sorry but with loads of "large" news websites out there, what is the point of Johnny Idiot, starting up a small news website? I bet he's sitting there scratching his head as to why his hit rate has gone from 3 a day to 15 today!!!! :LOL:

It's so badly written that reading it actually becomes painful after a short while. It's not a copyright notice he needs to display, it's a health warning :LOL:

It's not a news website. It is a website with a variety of bloggers, from all walks of the political spectrum, contributing their opinion on just about anything they wish.

I'd be interested to see the wordpress plugin - I wonder if it's a Flickr API based one which sucks in photos with the relevant keywords.

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way.

I'd be interested to see the wordpress plugin - I wonder if it's a Flickr API based one which sucks in photos with the relevant keywords.

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way.

He recommended this.

And thank you :)

That's quite an interesting concept given that all of the images on there are copyrighted.
Just had a look through the T&C's which are a bit of a nightmare - Notably, you have to display (or are forced to by their software) ads with each image you link back to (which is I guess how they pay the royalties) but more importantly they take no responsibility if the copyright holder decides that your use of the image is inappropriate.

14.5. You are solely responsible for determining whether your use of any Visual Content requires the consent of any other party or the license of any additional rights. If you are unsure whether additional rights are needed for your use of the Visual Content, you are responsible for consulting with competent legal counse.

and wooly as a wooly pig you get this bit which kind of contradicts some of their other T&C's which say you can use them....

14.11. You will not take any action for any purpose or in any manner that infringes the copyrights of any third party, nor will You upload, email, post, publish, distribute, transmit, submit or otherwise make available through the Website any content, that infringes the copyrighted works or violates the intellectual property rights of any third party. In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the "DMCA") (the text of which may be found on the U.S. Copyright Office website at "http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/"). For further information on our policy regarding Copyrights, please click here.

I guess they're intending to ensure that you don't claim that the pictures are yours or licence them out to third parties for their usage. Also looks like you'd be responsible for any infringements from your site (i.e if someone downloaded it from your site).

Interesting and worth keeping an eye on - Apologies for going off topic....

That's fine Yoby. Bear in mind I'm young, and on £40 a month. What should I use for my images of mainly politicians?

That's fine Yoby. Bear in mind I'm young, and on £40 a month. What should I use for my images of mainly politicians?

Depends if you're using them for comercial use or not. If you do infact make some money off your website (I haven't delved into it to try see), then you have to pay for any images unless people allow free for all use. For example, on some photo storage sites you can specify different levels of copyright. The 2 main ones are usually:

- All rights reserved. I.e. you gotta pay for this if you want it

- Non comercial creative commons, with attribution... i.e. you can use it for free but only for non comercial purposes, and as long as you give the photographer credit for taking the photo... i.e. don't pretend you took it yourself!

Some others allow for full use but that's few and far between. A lot choose creative commons. If you don't make money from your site, these are the photos you should be trying to use, not copyrighted photos.

Oh, and for the record:

If I can right click on it sure I can use it for free?

roughy equates to

Sure if it's not bolted to the shop shelf I can walk out without paying for it?

... if you catch my drift :LOL:

Depends if you're using them for comercial use or not. If you do infact make some money off your website (I haven't delved into it to try see), then you have to pay for any images unless people allow free for all use. For example, on some photo storage sites you can specify different levels of copyright. The 2 main ones are usually:

- All rights reserved. I.e. you gotta pay for this if you want it

- Non comercial creative commons, with attribution... i.e. you can use it for free but only for non comercial purposes, and as long as you give the photographer credit for taking the photo... i.e. don't pretend you took it yourself!

Some others allow for full use but that's few and far between. A lot choose creative commons. If you don't make money from your site, these are the photos you should be trying to use, not copyrighted photos.

I may put Google Ads on in the future, but if I can save on photo's by not doing that then I'll have to consider not putting Google Ads on the site.

Sure tell him to go copy images from the National Trust, Alamy or Getty Images, then tell him to tell the website that he has taken an image, just because he could, and then let us know how he gets on.

Even if a website is right-click disabled, images can still be copied from cache or screen dumped but that don't make it right.

Back